Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Mark Webber to leave F1 at the end of 2013 season

...to join Porsche's new sports car team.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23074108

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

Re: Mark Webber to leave F1 at the end of 2013 season

Welcome Mark!

"Formula 1 pilot Mark Webber to contest Le Mans for Porsche"

Porsche Press Release: June 27, 2013

World Endurance Championship and Le Mans 24 Hours

Stuttgart. The Australian Formula 1 pilot Mark Webber has signed a contract with Porsche that extends over several years. From the 2014 season he will compete in Porsche’s new LMP1 sports prototype at the Le Mans 24 Hours and in the sports car World Endurance Championship WEC.

The 36-year-old Australian has already raced at Le Mans twice. In 1998 he finished runner-up in the FIA GT Championship at the wheel of a sports prototype. Over the course of his Formula 1 career from 2002 until today, Webber has achieved 36 podium places, nine race victories and has started from pole position eleven times.

“It’s an honour for me to join Porsche at its return to the top category in Le Mans and in the sports car World Endurance Championship and be part of the team. Porsche has written racing history as a manufacturer and stands for outstanding technology and performance at the highest level,” says Mark Webber. “I’m very much looking forward to this new challenge after my time in Formula 1. Porsche will undoubtedly set itself very high goals. I can hardly wait to pilot one of the fastest sports cars in the world.”

“I’m very pleased to have secured Mark Webber for our LMP1 project as one of the best and most successful Formula 1 pilots of our time,” says Wolfgang Hatz, Board Member for Research and Development at Porsche AG. “Mark is without doubt one of the world’s best race drivers, he has experience at the Le Mans 24 hour race and on top of that he’s been a Porsche enthusiast for many years.”

“I learned to appreciate Mark’s qualities when we were both involved in Formula 1,” says Fritz Enzinger, Head of LMP1. “He is one of the best pilots I could imagine for our team. I’m absolutely delighted that we have such an experienced and fast regular driver onboard from 2014.”

Competing in the new LMP1 car alongside Mark Webber are the two long-standing Porsche works drivers Timo Bernhard (Germany) and Romain Dumas (France) as well as the ex-Formula 1 test driver Neel Jani (Switzerland). Bernhard and Dumas already joined forces in 2010 to bring home overall victory from the Le Mans 24 hour race. In the years 2007 and 2008, they secured the American Le Mans Series title at the wheel of the RS Spyder LMP2 sports prototype. Neel Jani has contested the LMP1 class since 2010.

-- Ends --

Good luck to MW..

I hope they get a good replacement at RBR. Who is it going to be, guy's....

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Kimi :)

Mark Webber's decision to retire from Red Bull "had nothing to do with Sebastian Vettel row"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23085501

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

I would have made the same choice.indecision

keithos27:

Kimi :)

That would be awesome, Kimi and Vettel together. If given the same car, I think Kimi would give Vettel some serious competition.

Glad to hear Webber is moving to Porsche. He's a great driver but I hope he leaves his sh*tty luck at RB.

IMvHO, it's the right decision.

He's a nice guy, very quick but consistently not as quick as Vettel.

He was not officially no 2 but he knew he was de facto no 2 at RBR. The fact that Vettel could disobey team orders at Malaysia without any meaningful repercussions shows the reality on the ground. It was clear Webber could not remain at RBR. I also think having your car's front wing removed and given to Vettel was one of the first signs of this favouritism. RBR is Vettel's team (but not quite to such an extent that Ferrari is Alonso's team).

He says his decision is nothing to do with Malaysia. I find that hard to believe. I think he just doesn't want the emotional and psychological baggage to travel with him to his new job next year. His decision to go to Porsche may have begun in his mind before Malaysia but Malaysia must have added more confirmation that this was the right decision (if any confirmation was needed).

I think the timing is good. Porsche is returning to Le Mans in a very big way. He loves Porsche. He owns a 997 GT2 RS and has done events at PDE Silverstone. It's a nice fit.

I hope Porsche succeeds. It won't be easy given the tough competition.

Webber is respected for being an honourable guy, a tough but fair competitor but sadly as a 'nearly man' for coming close to winning the title in 2010. He is a much bigger personality than the man who was always unlucky, constantly finding excuses and blaming others when he was at other teams like Jaguar and Williams.

I do think F1 will miss Mark Webber but F1 will quickly move on. The teams, the press etc ... they only care about the future ... it's only us fans who really care about the past.

I think the impact of Mark's announcement today is big primarily because it frees up a race seat that everyone wants.

Candidates? Raikkonen, Button, possibly Sutil, Di Resta or Hulkenberg ...

I think Raikkonen and Button are the leading names in the frame ... both are former champs ... the key thing is RBR likes winning the Constructors' Title as well ... so consistent points finishes are vital ... their no 2 still needs to win good points without threatening Vettel too much.

This is where I see a problem for Raikkonen. I think he is certainly consistent but his performance will be similar (or perhaps just behind) Vettel which could see history repeat itself. I doubt RBR would mind but the frustration will affect Raikkonen more than it did Webber. Webber was mentally tough enough to take being left out in the cold by his own team. Raikkonen doesn't talk much but he needs his team to be behind him.

For Button, I think his performance will be good (but not as strong as Raikkonen's) so he would be even less of a threat to Vettel. But I think he would not react well to being consistently outdriven by Vettel. I think his recent comment that "Hamilton's pace will shock you" gave away a little secret from when they were team mates at McLaren. Deep down, Button would admit that Hamilton is faster than him ... but Button's strength is racecraft and handling changing conditions taking strategic gambles to get ahead. Hamilton plays a simpler game of driving the wheels off the car with much less thinking involved. But I think it would wear Button down to be consistently outperformed by Vettel. Button joined McLaren full of optimism. He quickly settled in. He has been happy in his personal life too (with his GF). But he looks weary now, tired of struggling with an underperforming McLaren car year after year. McLaren has made both Hamilton and Button disillusioned by providing them with inadequate machinery and by so many pitstop errors. Perez is not jaded yet ... but it will happen to him too if McLaren keeps on shooting itself in the foot.

Perhaps RBR will go for a hungry Di Resta or even Sutil or Hulkenberg. 

I certainly don't think RBR will be foolish enough to give one of the 2 most cherished race seats to Vergne or Ricciardo when they can get Raikkonen or Button instead ... the speculation will ramp up to fever pitch over the weeks/months ahead. Hopefully, we will know who gets the drive before Monza.

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

According to informed sources, the deal was done before Malaysia.

I think that Kimi could handle being the number 2 on the team. It's not like he would whine a bunch about it or say much of anything for that matter. He might threaten Vettel's number one status though.

How long is Hamilton's contract with Mercedes?  Any exit clauses?  Hamilton and Vettel in one team; that strikes me as very good entertainment. 

I hope Mark Webber wins The Race that matters the most (to me at least).

--

"Form follows function"

Very strange thing said by Johnny Herbert:

In China, Webber likened current F1, with its deliberate tyre wear, to the WWF. There is a theory that, in sportscars, you can actually push harder?

Johnny: "I've heard that. But watching Le Mans at the weekend, there was still talk of looking after tyres. There's still an element of it. When I raced there, it was still pretty flat-out. But flat-out in an F1 car and flat-out in sportscars are two very different animals. Driving a sportscar around Le Mans is quite easy. It's not that physically demanding.

"With F1 tyres, even when they're off, they're still way quicker than a sportscar. Physically and mentally, it's still tougher."

As far as I remember, after winning le mans in 1991 he wasn't even able to climb to the podium. Even if you are a F1 commentator why do you have to talk such a sh*t? Of course 3,5 G in Porsche curve during 24 hours is not demanding...

--

sportcars-history.com

Very glad to see Mark to join real Racing, not a show.Smiley

--

sportcars-history.com

Gladstone:

I think that Kimi could handle being the number 2 on the team. It's not like he would whine a bunch about it or say much of anything for that matter. He might threaten Vettel's number one status though.

How long is Hamilton's contract with Mercedes?  Any exit clauses?  Hamilton and Vettel in one team; that strikes me as very good entertainment. 

I see Alonso more likely to try and move to Red Bull than Hamilton, Alonso really needs a top car in order to win and nothing is faster than a Red Bull these days. 

Buemi was supposing to replace Webber but i've honestly big doubts about it. I think the Red Bull team will keep him nicely in the back and when they will be fedup of him, they will kick him out.

it's a question of monney in F1, you have big amounts or sponsors, you get a seat, you are good driver but no Monney you can wash the dishes and they

--

997 GT3, 997 GT3 Cup; Cayenne S; Audi TT; Birel Kart; John Deer.

kudryavchik:

--

sportcars-history.com

Been falling asleep on every race (5th lap to be precise) and still don't find it as exciting as it used to be in the old days Smiley

BiTurbo:

kudryavchik:

--

sportcars-history.com

Been falling asleep on every race (5th lap to be precise) and still don't find it as exciting as it used to be in the old days Smiley

falling asleep watching le mans?
    --

sportcars-history.com

I wonder if Walter will be hanging up his shoes shortly and if this is not also a future face of Porsche's no 1 driving abassador type of thing? To my mind he would be a natural successor.

I was wondering the same about Loeb...

I'm a huge Loeb fan but he seems less eloquent - short clipped sentences - whilst Webber seems to embrace/use the camera more in an interview

kudryavchik:
    BiTurbo:

kudryavchik:

--

sportcars-history.com

F1 and their gaming console steering wheel Smiley

Good bye Mark!!! Good to had you here! kiss

BiTurbo:
    kudryavchik:

--

sportcars-history.com

I wouldn't say it that drastic. Past shines always better.

So, in a way you are right. F1 became to over regulated. I am following  F1 for almost 30 years. Sometimes I ask how people can follow the race with all that special rules (DRS, penalties, 3-4 stops by car and what ever).  Just watched  few races from 70s/80s on youtube. F1 was so pure and raw.... Amazing, simply beautiful cars, characters behind the volant, politics limited. And just look the tracks.... Dijon, Watkins Glen, Estoril, Zandvoort, Kyalimi, Imola. 

Ya...good old times...

BiTurbo:
    kudryavchik:
    BiTurbo:

kudryavchik:

--

sportcars-history.com

F1 and their gaming console steering wheel Smiley

F1 is sometimes dull, sometimes no. But technically this championship is becoming uninteresting. No technical innovations at all, only aero. Since 2014 WEC is going to be even more interesting than today. F1 will see development in 2014 but later engines will be frozen...

--

sportcars-history.com

I wish Mark well in his new venture - he certainly won't be 'number 2' any more...!

However, by his timing, he may well have compromised his F1 support for the second half of this season.

Apparently he gave Christian Horner only 15 minutes notice ahead of going public with the news!  This meant that most of the RBR team, especially all those at the factory, heard of the news via the internet... not a smart move..enlightened

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Not quite true John. Apparently he has spoken to the factory team shortly before his announcement.

And he spoke with Dietrich Mateschitz who agreed with the method of announcing it ...

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

If you say so Easy - your sources are usually very reliable..kiss

My comments were based on what I heard on BBC Radio Five Live, which is very much a sports-orientated channel..yes

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763554 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436012 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260819 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257778 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82563 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

873156 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808348 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM