Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 911 GT3 (991)

911rox:
    Nope Smiley

We're entitled to do as we please personally RC but as a key person on this forum, you owe it to those reading and learning to give them the correct information, not how you personally may intend to approach the situation... I'm sure that nobody here will appreciate 100000 hits on youtube for having being misinformed and having lost a wheel... Smiley

According to AP, Porsche is handling the CL issue generously. So if you are affected, I am pretty sure that Porsche is taking care of you in a way or another. If you are not happy with your situation or how it has been handled so far, tell Porsche, not only your dealer. I know that Porsche monitors these forums (like they do with others too) but you put way too much importance into my presence here. I'm not a key person in this forum, more like a jester who tries to keep a balance between entertainment and information, everything else is done by guys like you, the users. I wish I could help you directly in a way or another or I wish I had more influence upon Porsche but in the end, I am in the same boat with you and the other guys, I am a customer. Also my next car, the 991 Turbo S, will have CL. Go figure... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), 991 Turbo S (Oct. 5th), BMW X3 35d (2013)

frayed:

Like I said I'll take that bet RC.

I went through 6 911's, 1 Ferrari, 2 BMWs in 5 years.

I know automotive ADD better than most.  CH has it; you guys are trying to find logic in his missteps.  There is none to be found. 

I am pretty sure CH is an automotive addict, so am I and this is why I do not see any other car on his plate than the new 991 GT3. The reason is simple: The GT3 offers the best performance/price ratio right now and I do not see any other car which could attract CH in this performance segment. Maybe I'm wrong, unless of course CH eyes a MP4-12C or the F12. Money-wise, these cars don't make sense for him though. I guess.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), 991 Turbo S (Oct. 5th), BMW X3 35d (2013)

gt3 2.jpggt3 1.jpg

--

SportCarGroup:

gt3 2.jpggt3 1.jpg

Awesome. Thanks for the new pictures...

Its a hard decision now between the silver and the white! The silver looked lovely but the best looking shots were taken in the early morning as the sun was rising (a slow mo of the instrument shows 7.23am when CH was driving it just outside Barcelona from memory, 7 June, 19XXX k km)....I think the silver will look much flatter without the effects of a sunrise...

RC. I think you could be right. The only reason CH would hold back is a M on the 991 GT3 RS - however I believe Porsche have already made that call internally (PDK only) unless of course they are busy trying to rush a M development into place...

On the contrary, in bright sunlight the lines will be lost completely on the white. On the silver (especially GT silver) there is always some shadowing which highlights the styling.

What I don't like is the unpainted black on the lower part of the car (and on the new Turbo). If it is the same quality as on the 991 Carrera, it will get permanently soiled very soon and the owner will have to use care products often. BMW (M style)  and Audi (S line) use a kind of paint on their black bits that protects the plastics, makes it easy to clean and looks very good. Why not Porsche?

--

"Form follows function"

Reginos. Those are fair points. Is a hard decision, he white is so "clean" looking and contrasts well with the darker accents. Silver IMHO really need to be seen in the flesh to fully decide (we have two silver cars and hey are remarkably different hues parked side by side). I was hoping Rhodium silver was quite dark but the samples on one site show it lighter than GT silver so is now harder to determine. The China motorshow silver looked rather ordinary to me and didnt "pop" but the side profile sunrise shot in the CH review looked great. I think they may be the same colour in different lights?

Red. It is also the color of the earliest racing 911 cars.

w

macca993:

Reginos. Those are fair points. Is a hard decision, he white is so "clean" looking and contrasts well with the darker accents. Silver IMHO really need to be seen in the flesh to fully decide (we have two silver cars and hey are remarkably different hues parked side by side). I was hoping Rhodium silver was quite dark but the samples on one site show it lighter than GT silver so is now harder to determine. The China motorshow silver looked rather ordinary to me and didnt "pop" but the side profile sunrise shot in the CH review looked great. I think they may be the same colour in different lights?

I haven't seen Rhodium but since it takes its name from the chemical element it must be white-silvery. Most probably  the Shanghai car was that colour and under the bright white light of the Show it looked too watered down. Judging from the motoshow pictures, of course.

My other car is an Audi Q5 in Ice Silver which is a whitey silver too. The GT silver of my Carrera looks much nicer and warm next to it even in bright sunlight. When overcast it looks grey-silver. Also because it is a special colour  with a surcharge over metallic, there will be less number of cars in that colour, which makes it little more special.

--

"Form follows function"

bhnyc:

I understand that the full race sequential manual transmission in the 991 Cup Car may note be perfect for the street but it may be modified enough to make it street able. Most of it is naturally due to the racing clutch they use.  Replace that with a street / racing clutch and you have the best of all worlds - you have a clutch used for when stopped and downshifting for better braking/clutch coordination (trail-braking) and you have rapid/direct clutch-less upshifts with Launch control.  Use still can use the clutch for upshift when being 'Normal and sedate'.  Not too mention you can 'select' neutral in a spin when you may not be able to reach both paddles. Make it light and durable and PDK users will drool over the RS with that box!  Just saying.  The GT2 RS would be better for it as well.  Make them less soft and more like the racing car.  For years that awesome racing box has been the main difference from the street GT3.  "If you are gonna be a bear, be a GRIZZLY"      Imagine how much fun a box like that could be for daily use if made a touch less radical in terms of the on/off racing clutch.  Lightning fast upshift w/o clutch - best of PDK and still a clutch to allow the driver to perform perfect downshifts.

The Aventador has a gear box that it closest to a sequential transmission of any car that I have driven.  There were a number of reasons I did not love the Aventador and the gear box is one of them.  The DCTs are better than this gearbox.  At low speeds it is uncomfortable and at high speeds it is a beast (bucking the car back and forth).  My cars are weekend toys as I live in a big city, so I don't speak from the perspective of a daily driver.  But given the choice of the Aventador gearbox, a manual and a DCT, I would put the Aventador gearbox last (IMHO).  (Just to note - I love the looks of the Aventador, especially the roadster, but it is a strange mix of a car.  It is so stable with its four wheel drive and heaviness - much like an Audi in my opinion.  The engine and the gearbox are the pure Lambo parts.  Almost like they used the gearbox to retain some of that historical Lambo punch). 

REPLY - Aventador is an automated manual without a clutch.  Misses the point I was making totally.  Not a comparison to the Cup Car sequential manual at all.  Please don't get me wrong - it is just not at all what I was suggesting.  anyone here driven a Cup Car with its sequencial manual - would give the GT3 RS some street cred!

The silver at the Shanghai show was GT silver not Rhodium. I believe confirmed by Porsche.

Frayed, as with most new technology reluctant users will gradually accept the inevitable and wholeheartedly embrace it. CH will be one of them even though outwardly he appears hesitant.Smiley

We hear so much about how fantastic Rhodium silver is but has somebody actually seen this color LIVE?

Back to the manual vs. PDK discussion: I think that Porsche needs to stick with their PDK only decision for the GT3. They could offer a manual for the RS version but if they back off now and offer manual for the GT3, it would really make Andreas Preuninger and his whole development team look bad. They put so much work and enthusiasm in their work, they don't deserve that. So this could be a compromise to make everybody happy but I still have my worries that a "slower" manual version of the GT3 RS would upset buyers after they encounter the PDK version. You get my point. Not an easy decision for Porsche but maybe they just need to stick to their PDK decision and wait until the criticism dies down. One year from now, the critics will be silent, I am pretty sure about it.

--

Christian, if Porsche sells the entire production of the GT3 which now appears very likely, I doubt Porsche will give a rat's ass what luddite journalist or car enthusiast think.

I cannot imagine a car enthusiast who wouldn't like the new GT3, having experienced the previous models and projecting the 991 improvements into the GT3.

Now, journalists thrive on controversy to arouse interest.  If they said that everything is perfect, no one would care to read them. We must take what they have to say with a pinch of salt.

--

"Form follows function"

nberry:

Christian, if Porsche sells the entire production of the GT3 which now appears very likely, I doubt Porsche will give a rat's ass what luddite journalist or car enthusiast think.

Why are you hellbent on setting the interests and wants of others?

I personally could care less that you want a performance Porsche with a PDK.  I, and a few others, would like a higher performance Porsche stripped to its very essence.  This was once part of the Porsche DNA starting with the 356 Speedster and continuing on to the 964 RS, the 964 America and early variants of the GT3/GT3 RS and GT2/GT2 RS models.  

Life isn't always about setting the fastest times.  Even Ferry Porsche felt the ideal sports car was a simple conveyance and preferred a cabriolet over the coupe.  

reginos:

I cannot imagine a car enthusiast who wouldn't like the new GT3, having experienced the previous models and projecting the 991 improvements into the GT3.

Now, journalists thrive on controversy to arouse interest.  If they said that everything is perfect, no one would care to read them. We must take what they have to say with a pinch of salt.

SmileySmiley

Carnut, Porsche is in the business of making money. Why produce a product which is technologically inferior with a very small market probably less than 500 cars if that. Once MT enthusiast start getting spanked by inferior drivers with superior technology their opinions will change. Those that say performance on the track is secondary to driver involvement are deceiving themselves. 

If recollection serves the Speedster was Max Hoffman's idea, not Porsche, to lower the price of the 356 in the US so he could sell more "ferrin" cars to newly afflulent yet unworldly Americans. The 88-89 911 Clubsport, the car designed for the raw enthusiast, was a sales disappointment in the US.  The RS America was mildly stripped down for a more basic package, but Porsche sales in general were dragging badly in the US in 91-93 with very high prices and a 911 that was not seen as particularly new. Sales were acceptable but hardly noteworthy and certainly not sufficient to suggest there was a large untapped market for an "elemental" sports car.  In contrast Porsche was unsure of its ability to market the initial offering of the rather primitive 930 in the US w/ a base price 10K above the 911. Of course that proved not to be the case, but in addition to stellar performance, Porsche chose to add ever increasing luxury and convenience to the Turbo taking it upmarket to flagship status where it resides to this day.

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

While it is true about Hoffman as father of the Speedster, he did listen to the market and it was very successful.  

Just a suggestion: wouldn't it make sense to have separate threads for things like "manual vs. PDK", "...should I get Rhodium or Agate" etc.  I'm struggling to get through the 30+ posts per day on this thread that used to be more general /technical in nature.  As a source of reference it's also getting difficult to navigate.

(In about 4 posts time I'll be an Expert, and you'll have to agree with all my suggestions!)

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

Budster:

(In about 4 posts time I'll be an Expert, and you'll have to agree with all my suggestions!)

Not if you continue to nit pick.Smiley

Budster:

Just a suggestion: wouldn't it make sense to have separate threads for things like "manual vs. PDK", "...should I get Rhodium or Agate" etc.  I'm struggling to get through the 30+ posts per day on this thread that used to be more general /technical in nature.  As a source of reference it's also getting difficult to navigate.

Hear! Hear!Smiley

As soon as the GT3 hits the streets (and owner garages), we will start seperate threads, related to specific issues. Right now, I think it doesn't make much sense to open a new thread for every single discussion topic but if you wish to do that, feel free to open a new thread and we can continue a certain discussion in that specific thread. I have nothing against it but maybe it isn't the right time yet because nobody owns actually a GT3 right now.

--

Ok it's official!!!smiley

I got a production slot for December, only 5 GT3's coming to the island of Puerto Rico in 2014...

color: either Agate grey or Sapphire Blue ( but I need more pictures to really make a decision, so post away when somebody sees something)

interior: Alcantara with red stitching

PCCB or not to PCCB.... That is the question yes

--

2011 Porsche Carrera 4S Platinum Silver (sold)
    2013 Porsche Panamera GTS Basalt Black

2013 Porsche Carrera S GT Silver

“The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively” 
    ― Bob Marley

ag23:

I got a production slot for December, only 5 GT3's coming to the island of Puerto Rico in 2014...

color: either Agate grey or Sapphire Blue ( but I need more pictures to really make a decision, so post away when somebody sees something)

If you track race your car a lot, no PCCB.

If you don't care about the additional cost, love it's great looks, if you enjoy breaking in the last moment and if you want to keep your rims clean...get PCCB.

The standard brake is great too, so you can't go wrong.

Congratulations...you got yourself a real beast. Smiley

--

ag23:

Felicidades!! Ahora toca esperar 1331921569018Popcorn_Smiley_by_Probocaster.gifSmiley

I personally preffer Agate grey than Sapphire blue, the latter doesn't seem to fit a GT3's character IMO.

--

I am thinking Agate Grey with black rims...

altough it's not an option yet on the configurator...

I wonder if they could be ordered Matte black instead of the shiny black???

--

“The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively” 
    ― Bob Marley

LED vs blacked out xenon????

so many decisions!!!

--

― Bob Marley

ag23:

I am thinking Agate Grey with black rims...

altough it's not an option yet on the configurator...

I wonder if they could be ordered Matte black instead of the shiny black???

Matte black? Not very likely (shining black will be available starting week 36 of this year) but maybe Exclusive department could take care of that but it would certainly delay your delivery.

I usually let my dealer paint the rims paint in matte black. Only problem: The tires need to be removed and I'm a safety freak, so I don't like it (tires can be damaged in the process of removing/re-mounting them and the damage can be invisble). Let your dealer paint the rims in matte black when you need new tires. Best solution.

--

The red stitching doesn't go with Sapphire Blue imo. Agate Grey with black rims will look great, and if the money isn't problem go for PCCB.

--

ag23:

LED vs blacked out xenon????

so many decisions!!!

Black out Xenons look amazing but LED lights are the new technology, difficult decision. I don't know if a "blacked out" LED lights option will be available (I would love that), so it is your decision. On an agate grey car, blacked out lights certainly look good but you're missing out on the LED technology.

I would go with agate grey, not sapphire blue (too elegant color for a GT3).

--

SportCarGroup:

The red stitching doesn't go with Sapphire Blue imo.

+1

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688294 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408611 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255489 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234721 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65350 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857486 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773219 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM