Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 911 GT3 (991)

reginos:

What I meant is to offer another AWD model with the RWD GT2 RS power (assumed to be 600+PS) and call it the Turbo GTS.

At that level of power AWD would attract additional customers.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 991 Turbo GTS at some point. However, I doubt that it is going to have the same power as the GT2 RS, maybe 10 hp less or so, just to keep a psychological distance regarding horse power. Of course the GT2 RS would be much faster anyway due to the weight difference.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

BiTurbo:
    reginos:
    lor:

Wouldn't a GT2 4WD be...a Turbo with a bit more power?Weight loss in a GT2 mostly comes from loosing 4WD, lghter seats and wings can be ordered or retrofittable anyway if someones likes his Turbo in a GT2 look

There are drivers who cannot drive the RWD GT2 either due to ability, climate or both. Adding 4WD to the GT2 and calling it something else, whilst keeping the power output, body styling and lightweight parts and the 2 seater configuration, would open up the GT2 market to a large number of potential buyers.

--

"Form follows function"

Didn't Ferrari overcome this problem with the manettino switch on their rwd cars ? Smiley

Isn't mid-engined more balanced per se?

--

"Form follows function"

911 turbo

911 turbo S

911 turbo GTS

911 GT2

911 GT2 RS

911 GT3

911 GT3 RS

Isn't it getting ridiculous?

SciFrog:

911 turbo

911 turbo S

911 turbo GTS

911 GT2

911 GT2 RS

Ridiculously lucrative, Yes!

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    BiTurbo:
    reginos:
    lor:

Wouldn't a GT2 4WD be...a Turbo with a bit more power?Weight loss in a GT2 mostly comes from loosing 4WD, lghter seats and wings can be ordered or retrofittable anyway if someones likes his Turbo in a GT2 look

There are drivers who cannot drive the RWD GT2 either due to ability, climate or both. Adding 4WD to the GT2 and calling it something else, whilst keeping the power output, body styling and lightweight parts and the 2 seater configuration, would open up the GT2 market to a large number of potential buyers.

--

"Form follows function"

Didn't Ferrari overcome this problem with the manettino switch on their rwd cars ? Smiley

Isn't mid-engined more balanced per se?

GT2 (997) uses a 2 stage traction control and with the right tire choice it seems to put the power down  without having to worry about going sideways

Thank you. I didn't know that.

--

"Form follows function"

Porsche 991 GT3 in-depth: technical highlights...

"For the first time, Porsche is using active rear wheel steering in order to achieve even higher precision and lateral dynamics. Depending on the speed, the new 911 GT3 steers in the same or opposite direction of the front wheels, improving stability and agility..."

Porsche 991 GT3 in-depth: technical highlights -- Video Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

SciFrog:

911 turbo

911 turbo S

911 turbo GTS

911 GT2

911 GT2 RS

911 GT3

911 GT3 RS

I think I will take a 911 Turbo S GTS RS please.

When I see this car, I don't care about the Cayennes and the Macans or the large production numbers.

Porsche have left brand snobbery behind and have proved that you can mix the mainstream with the exclusive kiss

--

"Form follows function"

End of an era: we say goodbye to the Porsche 911 GT3 997...

Porsche unveiled the new version of its 911 GT3 at the Geneva Motor Show in March amidst much gasping, sucking of teeth and the irregular thump of hearts about to go into cardiac arrest.

Because from November 2013 the 991 version of the much-admired GT3 will be sold without a manual gearbox in favour of a flappy-paddle automatic instead.

As shocks go, that’s like discovering David Cameron was brought up on a rough council estate in Leeds.

Porsche 911 GT3: end of an era

After picking themselves up from the floor, the journalists at the Geneva show were remedied with some remarkable stats. The new GT3 will rev to 9,000rpm, lap the Nurburgring in 7 minutes 30 seconds (12 seconds quicker than the 997.2) and hit 62mph in 3.5 seconds.

Porsche certainly knows how to redeem itself when it hits you with bad news.

But as amazing as this new GT3 is clearly going to be, we can’t help but feel a pang of sadness at the loss of a clutch pedal and soup stirrer. To find out just what we’ll be missing out on, let’s take a final ride in the 997 GT3.

Life-changing soundtrack

The familiar white sign with a black stripe looms into view. I prepare the GT3 in advance, engaging the stiff clutch, moving smartly from fourth to third, blipping the throttle as I do.

With the urgency of a North Korean solider standing to attention, the 911’s rev needle arcs clockwise and sits just south of 4,000rpm.

Passing the sign, I ease my foot deep into the carpet and the GT3 responds with a ferocious lunge towards the red line and a howl that could easily be described as life changing.

Up until 4,400rpm the GT3 sounds brooding. Above, it changes into a rich wail that will have you coming away from the experience with an innate need to own one.

What’s life changing is that your wife will leave you when you tell her you’ve remortgaged the house and bought yourself a penis extension.

But the lonely nights will be worth it, because as driving enjoyment goes, it really doesn’t get better than this.

It’s a chilling sight, the GT3: that rear wing, the roll cage, those tight bucket seats and the track-spec, semi-slick tyres sitting so close to the arches that there’s barely enough room to slide a hand in.

Porsche 911 GT3: racing pedigree

Yet despite its racing edge, the GT3 flatters you like a desperate first date companion, eager to please.

The GT3 responds best when you drive it hard. The full 435hp monty comes in at 7,600rpm with a 317 lb/ft swell of torque giving a noticeable uplift over the last few thousand rpm.

It’s one of the world’s great engines, once seeing service in the Le Mans GT1 racers and mechanically similar to the unit found in the Carrera Cup cars.

To drive, the GT3 feels unapologetic. The clutch pedal is resistant and stiff, working your leg muscles like a football physio. The six-speed manual is solid and precise with not a hint of slackness between shifts.

That stiffness resonates throughout the GT3, but it’s not uncomfortable, with the suspension well enough damped to smooth out bumps and the £3,200 seats from the Carrera GT holding a big boy like me in snugly.

This is something you welcome when you start to lean on the car through corners, exploiting the super-sticky Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tyres that seem to have more grip than an Arnold Schwarzenegger handshake.

The steering is precise, allowing you to place the car with incredible accuracy, sensing the weight transfer through the rim and the front bite as you turn in. One passenger described it as a rollercoaster ride.

Bringing the GT3 back to reality is a set of £6k carbon ceramic brakes that work with the ruthless efficiency of a mouse trap, the pedal firm to the touch and perfectly modulated even after prolonged hard use.

All this adds up to a truly analogue driving experience, the driver placed right at the centre of the action.

It is this connection with the machine we will miss most of all when Porsche removes the manual gearbox for the 991 GT3 and replaces it with a speedy-shifting auto.

Smiley SmileySmiley

Boxster Coupe GTS:

I love this colour! Smiley

--

997 GT3 3.8

Gauss:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

I love this colour! Smiley

Me too!!!

--

If I don't fly, I drive my .:RS 

Very nice color indeed.....This Porsche in this beautiful color was involved in accident last friday....laugh

1330865824_555654604.jpg2021458330_378350375.jpg697494056_939275901.jpg1186208805_1504716475.jpg232718249_1900170043.jpg27872656_155488858.jpg

--

Too bad! Hope the occupant/s made it out alive.  Looks like a 1974 / 75   911 2.7 US version. I think the color is called Arrowblau.

--

911 Club Coupe, 993 4S Riviera Blau, 12' Audi S4 Avant

I don't think it's a US version - rear bumperettes too widely spaced (for a wider license plate), unless the blurring has distorted the proportions.  Location looks to be Israel.  I agree on Arrow Blue (different from the GT3).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

It is an SC so that would be '78-'83.  Not a US version as Grant pointed out though the bumpers are wide in the rear.

that is about what it takes to get these cars off the road for good.  Otherwise they are bullet proof.  Note how the door for the driver is open w/o issues.  He is fine I would bet.  My guess is he was standing still and someone hit him?  Note there are NO skid marks and he is not in a wall to the left which is where he is heading (pushed).  Something ran over the top right front of his car.  Sucks to be standing still and hit.  The car or your skills can't help you in any way.

Parts from the car alone would still be worth a small fortune.  Sad to see one go though.

Leawood911:

It is an SC so that would be '78-'83.  Not a US version as Grant pointed out though the bumpers are wide in the rear.

that is about what it takes to get these cars off the road for good.  Otherwise they are bullet proof.  Note how the door for the driver is open w/o issues.  He is fine I would bet.  My guess is he was standing still and someone hit him?  Note there are NO skid marks and he is not in a wall to the left which is where he is heading (pushed).  Something ran over the top right front of his car.  Sucks to be standing still and hit.  The car or your skills can't help you in any way.

Parts from the car alone would still be worth a small fortune.  Sad to see one go though.

I agree on the SC call; however, I am seeing very strong evidence of a fire in the cabin.  There's scorching on the upper door card and smoke residual on the windscreen and the rear window.

IMHO Not sure it is a SC, look at the rear fenders they are not flared. To me those are 2.7 rear fenders (or even earlier) . This 911 could be a collage of different parts and periods. Rear bumper has definitely bumperettes look carefully. Sorry for the OT. We could move (where?) the discussion which could be interesting.

--

911 Club Coupe, 993 4S Riviera Blau, 12' Audi S4 Avant

m4ever:

IMHO Not sure it is a SC, look at the rear fenders they are not flared. To me those are 2.7 rear fenders (or even earlier) .

Agree - I think it is a 74-77 911S 2.7L CIS injection (least valuable era of any 911 if not MFI Carrera or Turbo, so at least the financial loss was minimal - hope no injuries).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Guys...back to topic...GT3.  

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), 991 Turbo S (ordered), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I assume you have all scene the 93 brochure now for sale on ebay.de? When are one of you going to buy this and tell us what it says inside?

$T2eC16hHJGUFFhu59l4!BRji4FokW!~~60_12.JPG

macca993:

I assume you have all scene the 93 brochure now for sale on ebay.de? When are one of you going to buy this and tell us what it says inside?

$T2eC16hHJGUFFhu59l4!BRji4FokW!~~60_12.JPG

Why should anyone buy this? It is available for free at local Porsche dealers. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), 991 Turbo S (ordered), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC. Yes I know. But only in Germany and only in Germany. I believe it came out last week. Do you have a copy? If so please could you share the contents with the rest of us around the world who have seen not much more than a few pages supplied by the porsche.com online site...

PS. If you find a spare Id be happy to buy it from you!

macca993:

RC. Yes I know. But only in Germany and only in Germany. I believe it came out last week. Do you have a copy? If so please could you share the contents with the rest of us around the world who have seen not much more than a few pages supplied by the porsche.com online site...

PS. If you find a spare Id be happy to buy it from you!

I can get one from my dealer this week but as far as I remember, there is nothing really new in there, everything has been said in the GT3 Webspecial. 

--

RC. If you could get one that would be really great. We are starved for information on the GT3 in New Zealand. They haven't even announced pricing yet (although it will be around an eye watering 195,000 Euro base spec when it is announced!)....much appreciated.

Grant:
    m4ever:

IMHO Not sure it is a SC, look at the rear fenders they are not flared. To me those are 2.7 rear fenders (or even earlier) .

Agree - I think it is a 74-77 911S 2.7L CIS injection (least valuable era of any 911 if not MFI Carrera or Turbo, so at least the financial loss was minimal - hope no injuries).

Correct about the rear flares. Good observation.

The 2.7 air-cooled was the worst Porsche engine for reliabilty followed closely by the M96Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

macca993:

RC. If you could get one that would be really great. We are starved for information on the GT3 in New Zealand. They haven't even announced pricing yet (although it will be around an eye watering 195,000 Euro base spec when it is announced!)....much appreciated.

This is something I really don't understand: Why is the information so scarce? Not only regarding the new 991 GT3 but also the new 991 Turbo/Turbo S. As if Porsche doesn't really care. They put up a Webspecial with some details and they're done. Really??? Smiley

I expect tons of photos, lots of videos, the Preuninger interview was pure GT3 heaven.

I can't even find out if there is any hardware difference between the 991 Turbo and Turbo S engine. Smiley

Porsche misses out on a huge chance here...to connect to their (potential) customers through information.

I get it, not all (potential) customers are interested in details but maybe they are not that much interested because it is too difficult to collect these details? 

It is a shame: I ordered a 202k EUR car but still haven't seen a photo of a black car.  Smiley

--

RC, why don't you do the 250km short trip to Stuttgart and find out?

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

RC, why don't you do the 250km short trip to Stuttgart and find out?

I will be in Zuffenhausen in around five weeks, this is when there will be some cars officially available for checking out the different color combos. I actually don't understand why I can't go there now because there are already a couple of 991 Turbo/Turbo S driving around the factory region but I have to rely on an official appointment. Smiley Of course I could drive to Zuffenhausen, take my camera and take photos but most 991 Turbo are usually parked behind the gates (according to a friend who was there a couple of times), so it is difficult to get a good shot...without being caught by security (they are nice but they do not allow photos on factory grounds). Smiley

--

bhnyc:

To add my two cents (and trying to be pragmatic)...I Love the track, I love to push my car on the track and if that is a good use of how I spent my money is my own business.  But how often can anyone, who is not racing for a profession get to the track.  I get there 6 to 8 times when in season.  I am sure a lot of you get there many multiples of this.  But there are few people buying a GT3 who are doing 180 days plus a year.  Therefore, you are buying a car that will be driven on and off the track.  To me, the manual transmission makes, Sunday drives more engaging.  I love driving a manual and am sad by the direction all car companies are going.  The idea that I would buy a different transmission to shave seconds off my lap time is not relevant.  If ever get to a point in my career when I can do more than 30 days at a a track in a year, I will buy a cup car or a pure racer.  

I am guessing my life style is relevant to more people on this forum than not, so it is hard to say.  Therefore, I disagree that people should say manual is an old technology because we are all trying to shave tenths of a second off our track time.  I think many of us still use our cars off the track and here the manual is more engaging for my dollar. 

Exactly my opinion..Smiley. All this discussion about shaving a few tenth on the track, a very good race driver will destroy with a 997.2 GT3 most (and un-experienced) 991 GT3 buyers anyway. The limits of a car are mostly depending on the driver..some just believer here with PdK GT3 they are future F1 drivers.

Your post is one of the best here for me..Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688440 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408658 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255499 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234748 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65366 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857536 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773287 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM