Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S

I have to say I'm disappointed - while the 911 Turbo is almost always an embodiment of understatement, this one is almost ostentatious in its design. The back is too wide and square [looks like a tank], the side air intakes are horrible, the auxiliary front light units look too aftermarket [and the intake strake on the Turbo S - no no], the new cutouts in the lower rear bumper look fussy and the exhaust pipes are too much; single squares or parallelograms would've sufficed. 

I know the Turbo/Turbo S are about outright power and the performance specs are nothing short of impressive, but this design seems too 'bling' and garish for my liking. I agree with some of the above posters about this car looking better in darker colors since it'll hide the fussiness of the design.

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S

KMM:

Yep, the side intake shape lets it down.

I actually like the side intake shape quite a bit.  Reminds me of a better integrated version of below:

--

Mike

Carrera GT + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S + Panamera Turbo +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T + GT3 RS 4.0

Lukas:

normal-2.jpg

The car sits to high on the suspension giving a less sporty look, drop a lowered 20mm suspension and it will look much, much better.

RC:

I forgot to mention: With the new 991 Turbo and Turbo S showing up, the prices for used 997 Turbo/S will surely take a hit, even if not a big one (considering the not so huge performance differences and the much higher prices for the new 991 models).

So maybe a used 997 Turbo S would be the better deal. I am seriously thinking about it. There are already some interesting cars available around 120k EUR, including some Cabs, so why not? Yes, the new 991 Turbo S is much faster around the track but the real world performance difference should be minimal, especially when driving on public roads, including the Autobahn. Cars offered by official Porsche dealerships also have a warranty, which can be even renewed after each year. I am seriously considering that as an alternative option.

I was exactly thinking the same, the 997.2TTS Cab. already take the price hit after one or two years, you can find almost brand new cars for a good price and the real world performance is quite the same as 991TT, while real world price difference is HUGE Smiley Smiley. But a Gallardo still excite me much more than a TTS, I know that even the LP560 is way slower than a TTS, but gosh, that V10 engine sound alone is worth the price difference for the bull Smiley let alone the unique exotic look the Lambo has.

J.Seven

World premiere of the 991 Turbo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73UYFP9tCt0

--

Given that I've been a bit critical of the so called insider tips we get from time to time, I thought it only right to check whether I was wrong as I'd be the first person to apologise, so I've checked RC's "rumours", you know, the ones that sometimes come with one of those knowing little winks   :

1. "Power would be 530-560" - it's 520-560   Wrong

2. Acceleration would be below 3.0 secs - it's 3.1  Wrong

3. Power gap TT to TTS would be wider that 997 - its the same (30kW) - Wrong

4. TTS Vmax would be 320 - it's 318   Wrong

5. Acceleration 0-200 would be below 10s (and real life 9.5sec) - it's 10.3 Wrong

6. TTS will be Carrera GT performance, even 0-300 - no, it missed the 0-200 where it's 0.4sec slower - Wrong

7. LED lights would be standard. - RIGHT!!!

RC - 1/7 isn't too hot, but you ARE THE MAN when it comes to headlights! wink

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

Another video from the event:

--

RC:

1. Not sure what you mean: As far as I remember, only the manual equipped pre-facelift 997 Turbo (there was no Turbo S) had a mechanical diff.. The mechanical diff. was part of the PTV package on the facelift 997 Turbo and Turbo S. Maybe I didn't understand your question?! yes

2. The "old" 997 Turbo S was 173.241,00 EUR (incl. 19% VAT) in Germany, the new 991 Turbo S is 195.256,00 EUR (incl. 19% VAT).

RC based on facts here in Brazil:

the best result we got for a 997.2TT with ecu, full exhaust and intakes was from 100-200km/h 6.8sec

the 997.2TTS with same setup, ecu, exhaust + intakes, did 100-200km/h in 6.3sec

tests with RACELOGIC

it has to be something mechanical too....

RC:

I forgot to mention: With the new 991 Turbo and Turbo S showing up, the prices for used 997 Turbo/S will surely take a hit, even if not a big one (considering the not so huge performance differences and the much higher prices for the new 991 models).

So maybe a used 997 Turbo S would be the better deal. I am seriously thinking about it. There are already some interesting cars available around 120k EUR, including some Cabs, so why not? Yes, the new 991 Turbo S is much faster around the track but the real world performance difference should be minimal, especially when driving on public roads, including the Autobahn. Cars offered by official Porsche dealerships also have a warranty, which can be even renewed after each year. I am seriously considering that as an alternative option.

-Do you like the new interior and really want it?

-Do you miss not seeing the engine when you open the cover?

-Do you want the incremental improvement in performance from 991 Turbo S over the 997 Turbo S on the highway acceleration?

-Can you live with the more aggressive and eye catching styling of the new 991 Turbo/S?

-Can you afford to pay the extra cost for a 991 Turbo S vs the saving of getting a 997 Turbo S?

-

xandi911:
    RC:

1. Not sure what you mean: As far as I remember, only the manual equipped pre-facelift 997 Turbo (there was no Turbo S) had a mechanical diff.. The mechanical diff. was part of the PTV package on the facelift 997 Turbo and Turbo S. Maybe I didn't understand your question?! yes

2. The "old" 997 Turbo S was 173.241,00 EUR (incl. 19% VAT) in Germany, the new 991 Turbo S is 195.256,00 EUR (incl. 19% VAT).

the best result we got for a 997.2TT with ecu, full exhaust and intakes was from 100-200km/h 6.8sec

tests with RACELOGIC

Interesting)) we have measured 997.2 TR at 6.5 secs from 100-200

Very good car! Not that great as new gt3, but anyway. 

I dont understand why there are so many negative posts... There are lots of new things that have been done. Yep, maybe mclaren is more powerful, but c'on... these guys are hardly selling more than 3000 cars since mp4-12 introduction. Turbo and 458 italia are dominating in their segment. I am sure new turbo will even be more popular than predecessor. Also, being weaker than 458 and mp4 in terms of horsepower Porsche always had an ability to use their power in much more effective way. 

So, lets wait for testing and see who is faster and better overall...kiss

--

sportcars-history.com

I wish the DRLs would at least extend the entire width of that upper part of the  lateral air intakes ( or beyond as in the other 991 models )  to make the car seem wider and lower from straight on or front angled view . As it it shown, they look to the uninitiated like parts bin light units found in an Audi warehouse that seem to visually narrow  and raise the front, which is the opposite visual effect desired on the " top " wide body model . Hmmm...

narrow and puckered DRLs :

wide and aggressive DRLs :

+1 to Budster kiss

artur777:
    xandi911:
    RC:

tests with RACELOGIC

nice! what u mean TR?

what mods?

thanks Smiley

xandi911:
    artur777:
    xandi911:
    RC:

tests with RACELOGIC

nice! what u mean TR?

what mods?

thanks Smiley

I mean TT) same mods. But in Russia it is colder - its better

Whoopsy:
    RC:

-Do you like the new interior and really want it?

-Do you miss not seeing the engine when you open the cover?

-Do you want the incremental improvement in performance from 991 Turbo S over the 997 Turbo S on the highway acceleration?

-Can you live with the more aggressive and eye catching styling of the new 991 Turbo/S?

-Can you afford to pay the extra cost for a 991 Turbo S vs the saving of getting a 997 Turbo S?

-

The big question is can you face the $125K in depreciation over 5years?  SmileyPLUS it is a fugly car.Smiley  I'm loving my 07 Mezger Manual 6-speed Turbo more and more! Smiley (Also hate the new 991 center console and electric parking brake!Smiley)  There is so much electronic stuff that can go wrong that after the warranty runs out the value will be next to nil due to repair costs - ala Porsche 928!  All that tech stuff bites you in the wallet when it breaks. 

Budster:

Given that I've been a bit critical of the so called insider tips we get from time to time, I thought it only right to check whether I was wrong as I'd be the first person to apologise, so I've checked RC's "rumours", you know, the ones that sometimes come with one of those knowing little winks   :

5. Acceleration 0-200 would be below 10s (and real life 9.5sec) - it's 10.3 Wrong

6. TTS will be Carrera GT performance, even 0-300 - no, it missed the 0-200 where it's 0.4sec slower - Wrong

I am sure you are joking Smiley The info provided by RC has been nearly 100% spot on...

MKSGR:
    Jean:

Something's just off.

Hope GT2 looks better than this.

And hopefully, the 991 GT2 is much lighter.

I just compared: the 991 turbo S is more than 200kg heavier than the 997 GT2RS. And it has 60 hp less. Not really an alternative, I would say. The 991 GT2 should be a great car - at least the 991GT3 suggests that Smiley

C'mon, you get much, much more in case of a 991 Turbo S compared to your GT2RS. You even get more than one car!
    You'll have a Panamera inside, a Cayman from the front and a decent AMG-Merc from the rear. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

MKSGR:
    Budster:

I am sure you are joking Smiley The info provided by RC has been nearly 100% spot on...

I agree that RC expectations were were close to real ones. 

RC and Kreso F1, thanks a lot for your info on upcoming models!!!

The rear looks ugly to me. Way too "square" on the hips. Rear view is far too "busy" with vents, square AMG exhaust, too many badges (is as the way these days) etc/  The rear fender air vent is too high which makes the hips "square" and from front 3/4 view gives the car a "Cayman" look. The different coloured glass roof looks odd against silver but may suit black. Over all too many things going on design wise. Rear looks like big gap above rear wheels, rubber front puematic lip spoiler looks nasty and cheap (rubber on a 911 exterior?)....My 2c worth.

1367708155753car_photo_570790_25.jpg

By the way Rossi, what do you think of the 991 Turbo / Turbo S? Always interested in your opinion. Smiley

Ziggy:

By the way Rossi, what do you think of the 991 Turbo / Turbo S? Always interested in your opinion. Smiley

Also, like to know what you think of the GT3.Smiley

--

Turbo S will overcome our expectations!!!!!! Buy it guys

With budget in mind:

DD performance if you don't care about interior/exterior: 997.2 TT/S

DD with 90% performance and fantastic exterior/interior: 991 Carrera S 

99% performance with great interior/exterior: 991 GT3

The main appeal to me of the 991 over the 997 is the looks. Exterior is a nice change, but the interior is what makes it worth it. I could never buy a 997 cause I thought the interior was terrible and dated. That said, I can't see sound reason behind getting the 991 TT unless you can simply afford it and demand that extra performance in those few situations where you can stretch its legs as a DD.

Personally I don't care for the 991TT exterior. Looks too busy.

artur777:
    MKSGR:
    Budster:

I agree that RC expectations were were close to real ones. 

RC and Kreso F1, thanks a lot for your info on upcoming models!!!

+1

Really appreciate all the very accurate info provided by RC and Kreso F1. Keep it coming Smiley

Budster, you seem to have your comparison wrong also... but since I'm not a nitpicker, I'm not going to tell you in what statements you are wrong, you can for sure figure this out by yourself Smiley

The new Turbo looks better in the videos than in pictures, which gives some hope when it is revealed in the metal. Still I believe Porsche could have done more for the design of their top of the range 911.

--

"Form follows function"

Accurate information ? Where ?

The information Kreso and RC gave us all the time are imho also only speculation and not hands on information, and how does it Kreso allways say: Period angry

WP_000578.jpgWP_000569.jpgWP_000567.jpgWP_000559.jpgWP_000557.jpgWP_000556.jpgWP_000555.jpg

--

The more i see pictures the more i like the white Turbo S....

Monday i will have an offer from my dealer,but i just know the answer,due the price it will start to make the offer i'm sure  for me will be too high...we will see.

Sure the idea to put on sale Turbo and TS at the same time,put in trouble who like me can afford a good Turbo but not a Turbo S specially now with this prices incerase.And take a Turbo now is like to have a CAR but the one you whant,try to undesrtand.

So,i think is not worth to buy a Turbo at 180.000 euros with a TS at 205.000 ,but 205.000 is too much for me today.

hope the GT3RS will have the right price...indecision or in a miracle of my dealer monday... 

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II,2011 Cayenne Turbo

hunterone:

Accurate information ? Where ?

The information Kreso and RC gave us all the time are imho also only speculation and not hands on information, and how does it Kreso allways say: Period angry

Not sure about RC, but Kreso was always spot on about the R8, so I think his information is usually pretty good. IIRC, he had a friend who was an engineer at Quattro GmbH or something like that. Maybe he has a friend at Porsche too?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    690973 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410120 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256179 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235398 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65742 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858782 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775090 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM