Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Putting the deposit down

And so the wait begins. Probably won't be home to drive it for a couple months though. Could have maybe waited, but the spec and the deal just seemed too good to pass up.

IMG_20130410_111123.jpg

Re: Putting the deposit down

SO nice ! congrats !!

Haha, welcome to the club. And I just connected the dots between here and McLarenLife :)

That is such a beauty!!!!

looks business ! kiss

Congrats....amazing car!

What color did you spec?

Wonderful car kiss

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Whoopsy:

Haha, welcome to the club. And I just connected the dots between here and McLarenLife :)

Ha, yeah a while back I started using the MCL one on public things. A few places remains like this though.

Lars997:

Congrats....amazing car!

What color did you spec?

It's used, so not my spec, but I really liked the color based on what I saw of it on YouTube. It's called graphite grey. In sunny photos it comes off a bit darker from what I can tell -- have never actually seen one -- but becomes even better on a more cloudy day imo. Here's the video that sold me on the color.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src=" http://www.youtube.com/embed/uUt0xmoOb80" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BTW, what do you guys think I should do with respect to the side markers? I don't know why the previous owner mismatched them. I actually think the red looks not that bad. Should I get clear ones?

wedouglas:

BTW, what do you guys think I should do with respect to the side markers? I don't know why the previous owner mismatched them. I actually think the red looks not that bad. Should I get clear ones?

Well, shouldn't there be at least some 'orange' in a McLaren? Smiley

Congratulations!

wedouglas:
    Lars997:

Congrats....amazing car!

What color did you spec?

It's used, so not my spec, but I really liked the color based on what I saw of it on YouTube. It's called graphite grey. In sunny photos it comes off a bit darker from what I can tell -- have never actually seen one -- but becomes even better on a more cloudy day imo. Here's the video that sold me on the color.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src=" http://www.youtube.com/embed/uUt0xmoOb80" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I understood its not your car, thats why I ask for the color you have choosen. But as I understand now this is what you will go for - excellent color, looks decent and still very sporty.  Well done!

wedouglas:

Yes.

Unusual color which will standout. Was not able to access the video but my concern is to what extent the color will hide the beautiful lines of the car.Smiley

--

If you're near Wisconsin, can a poor just out of grad school guy come check out your car?! smiley

--

Magnificent - congratulations Smiley

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

@ nberry: change "embed/"  in the link by "watch?v=" and it works.

@ wedouglas: ve-ry nice 12C! Red is ok for the side markers. Would (also) go for orange though...

Congratulations. Smiley You can leave it with me if you cannot drive it now, I will take good care of it. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

wedouglas:

Red looks OK in the rear, I would leave it that way.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

nberry:
    wedouglas:

Yes.

Unusual color which will standout. Was not able to access the video but my concern is to what extent the color will hide the beautiful lines of the car.Smiley

I don't think it will. Here's the working link. The color looks a lot different in real life what what I've seen in a lot of videos. Cameras always mess with the color due to how they try to expose things using auto modes and their limited dynamic range.

Here's the working link:
    http://www.youtube.com/embed/uUt0xmoOb80

Well, the deal is about done. I'm really pleased with it. Just waiting for the financing to be approved. I almost paid cash until I realized I could get 2.5% financing. Pretty crazy times. I knew mortgages were cheap, but I didn't think auto loans would be the same.

Here's the spec:

Special paint in Graphite Grey
    CF Splitter
    CF mirriors
    CF diffuser
    CF engine cover/bay panels
    Sports exhaust
    Lightweight forged wheels in stealth finish
    CCB
    Alcantara & leather interior
    Constrast stitching
    CF interior
    Electric & heated seats
    CF door sill panels
    CF wheel arches (I know, right? What's next, CF door jams? lol)
    Premium sound package
    Parking sensors
    Branded floor mats
    Cover
    Li-Ion battery charger
    Clear bra on the front end, though I'll need to add some more
    MSRP was just about $300K. Got it for $198,000 and paid another $3,500 to bring it back up to the original 3 year warranty.

I haven't driven it yet, but to be honest, I can't think of any car that's a better price than these 2012 12Cs. I can't think of any reasonable competition within $40K of these, let alone brand new. Oh yeah, and the doors go up blush

That is an impressive spec, to say the least. All that carbon fiber is a dream come true. You will need to put come clear protection on the carbon splitters to prevent chipping of the surface coating there. Beyond cool, I want to see more ! And that offer, way to take advantage of the original price drop on a 1 year old car. GREAT BUY ! kiss

You might also want to wrap the turning vane and the mirror housing. Those parts will be a bitch to repair compared with repainting body parts. 

Almost forgot, have the wrap guy replace the factory pieces beneath the door. From factory there are 2 pieces of clear film with a big gap in between. That part of the car is facing down against the road with the front wheels throwing everything on to it. 

If you are really anal about rock chips, the outside body panel of the side intake should also be wrapped especially the front leading edge. 

But one good thing about the car is that the body panels are all composite so no door dings.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm definitely going to wrap the CF trim but I've been undecided on some other stuff. Do you know how difficult graphite grey paint matching would be for touch ups? I've heard the volcano paints could be a bit tricky, though I have no evidence to back that up.

I'm honestly not hugely anal about a few blemishes It mainly comes down to the cost come resale -- is it cheaper and better to have the clear bra on for resale, or is it cheaper to just touch up the paint before selling it should any blemishes occur. I think I only have one or two spots on my R8 right now that I'm going to touch up and I'm not sure a clear bra would have made the difference in either case since I know they aren't totally indestructible either.

I also won't be driving it nearly as much as the R8 since I'm not home nearly as much these day, so maybe I'll just do the CF, intake edges, and replace the factory piece like you said. 

if it's just rock chips, the little touch up-ed dots won't be noticeable. For a complete repaint of a panel it still won't be too much of a challenge as I think the graphite grey is not too hard to match from factory formula. Unlike the volcano stuff where the flakes have to align properly for them to match. 

Believe it or not, I didn't have any of the stuff I told you to do haha. I never bother with wraps, they gets in the way of me waxing my cars.  I am firmly entrenched on the side of screw the owner after me, I am not protecting my car for you. I never had my any of my cars wrapped ever outside of factory applied pieces. Yes I have had rock chips, but most of the time I never bothered to touch them up unless they are really deep ones. And even when I trade in my cars no one said anything about the blemishes anyway.

Hmm interesting take on things. I am not a fan of saving it for the next guy per se, just figured it's easier to sell perfect car than non-perfect, and would get a higher price. I know I use such blemishes for bargaining. Just comes down to what would cost more -- wrap or touch up, and if the same, which provide a better experience for me. I do think I will wrap the CF though since that is not just a simple dab of paint.

Maybe you're right though. I guess $2500 would buy a lot of touched up dots and I can live with them for sure. I'll get a quote and see what they say.

The wrapping is really  a US thing, I don't understand it. It's like wrapping a sofa. Yes it protects the product, but it looks terrible.. yes

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

Do clear bras really affect the look? I've honestly never seen one up close as far as I know.

Some car nuts told me this joke, do you put a wrap on with your wife just so you can save her for the next guy? 

As for the terrible looks, that would be the cheap job that goes like half way up the hood leaving a seam line, but most people who do pay for a wrap nowadays do a full body panel job and the edges are tucked under the panels, so one can't really tell if there is a wrap or not.

But some people really like their resale value so they will invest in a $5000 wrap just so they can increase their trade-in by $3000. mail

@wedouglas: having said all that, wrapping the CF pieces will be a smart investment, those clear coats on CF are not easily refinished and more than likely after damaged they will need to be replaced at thousands of dollars each. As I recalled the lip was like $3k, the mirrors are $3k for the pair and the turning vanes are also $3k a pair as option price so the replacement cost will be around the same plus labor. The under door patch is just for ease of cleaning as it does gets awfully dirty. 

wedouglas:

Do clear bras really affect the look? I've honestly never seen one up close as far as I know.

Go check out a couple other forums like teamspeed and lux4play's McLaren forum, they have postings from wrapping companies who did wrap jobs for the McLaren, you really cannot tell there is a film there. 

Guess you only notice the bad ones.

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763124 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435724 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260711 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257697 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80994 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5323 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872616 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808069 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM