Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

My G is here

Well not quite, just got word my G63 just came off transport onto the dealer's storage lot.

1363457748614G63.jpg

It still needs to be prep-ed plus I am leaving for London in a couple days I won't take delivery till I come back in 2 weeks :(

Re: My G is here

Always loved that box-on-wheels.

Don't worry, you'll be (extra) happy to go home!

Many congrats. Very classy. I always loved the G, never owned one
    --

Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW Grand Coupe 650i xDrive

Wow,

I didn´t even recall that you ordered one. Did you mention it on here? Great car... truck... vehicle...just somewhat surprised that they paint the calipers red. Anyway, please post your impressions about it, in comparison to your other cars especially. And following your impressions from GB, of course.

kiss

Whoopsy:

Well not quite, just got word my G63 just came off transport onto the dealer's storage lot.

It still needs to be prep-ed plus I am leaving for London in a couple days I won't take delivery till I come back in 2 weeks :(

Congrats on the G - it will make you smile guaranteed.  Just will be funny for you.... for a firm sporty ride drive your SUV, and for a smooth velvety ride, drive your sports car  Smiley   (since the McLaren will feel like a limousine after the G!)  

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

I still don't understand the logic behind the G63... Overpriced and technologically obsolete, uncomfortable and doesn't handle well at all...

There is really no logic about the G. It's just about heritage, timeless styling, and the fact that there really isn't another stock car that can top it's off road capability. Not that I will be doing that haha, just nice to know it can handle anything.

I had ordered a G back in October, even before I bought the McLaren. It was suppose to go into production 1st week of April and I won't get it till mid May. But I didn't like the timing as it means it won't make it before the tax change so I will have to pay an extra 3% tax. I pretty much bugged my sales and his manager daily about moving me up. 

This car was ordered by someone else but they are unable to take delivery so to get me off their back they let me have first dibs. Not my first choice in color inside and out, I ordered flat black on black and this one is 2-tone black and sand leather with Magnetite Black exterior, some kind of greyish black with a hint of blue. This one also came with silver wheels and red caliber while I had ordered black outs. 

My wife seems to love this color plus the fact that I saved on tax is a major influence on me taking this car instead of waiting. It's her car anyway, she grew tired of the X6M, 4 seats isn't working for her and her girlfriends when 1 of the seats is occupied with a child seat semi-permanently. 

Congrats...more photos please. Smiley

I always wanted to get a G55 AMG (later on a G63) but this car doesn't really make sense for me since I need something sportier as a family SUV. Still...the itch has never gone away, so maybe one day...who knows... Smiley

Great choice. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

congrats....all time classic.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Love it, one of my favorite cars!

Congrats Whoops.... what an iconic car. Wonderful! You will love it - I'm sure!

Damn, such a nice buy. It's my dream daily!! Sadly they are a dime a dozen in downtown Vancouver. Your picked the best wheels and options it seems!

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather (Canada)
    1991 BMW 318i Brilliantrot/Black Leather (Germany)

Ex: '89 525i, '74 280E, '87 325is, '86 325e, '05 FF, '85.5 944

Comgrats to this epic monster. Post a video of your first 4wd burnout. blush

Epic timeless car ! kiss

Whoopsy:

1363457748614G63.jpg

I like your 6m radio antenna Smiley

--

AM
    www.aldo-yachting.de

Looks good. Congrats!

I liked the G for quite a while, fro the timeless iconic exterior style like a 911, but I just can't stand the old interior, so when I heard there will be a new interior I decided now is the right time to get one.

I had seriously consideration for  a Cayenne Turbo S, but in the end it lost out because of the Lexus RX rear styling, and my wife much prefer the G, she said 'more manly'. 

Today I had an up close and personal look at the G in the lot, so tempting but it the timing didn't work in my favour, insurance needs a couple days to clear plus it still wasn't prep yet by the dealer. The new interior REALLY looks good. Doors are surprisingly light, I thought they were much heavier to handle but I guess they were nicely balanced. 

Compared to the X6M, the driver and the front passenger sits a lot closer, feels more intimate. Down side is the center console is NARROW, no room for a cup holder and what Mercedes thought of was a pathetic little net attached to the center console on the passenger side. View from the driver seat was amazing, seems like I am 3 feet above the hood, didn't drive it but the exhaust sound was a little bit disappointing, the idle sound is way behind the MP4 and the Turbo S, maybe it will sound better above idle when I get a chance to drive it. 

Oh, I put my name down for a E63 S series, suppose to arrive this December. :)

Just picked up the G today. What a car. What a car. 

Been a few years since I had a AMG and forgot how spot on they tuned the exhaust note, best sound in the business bar none, not even the Vantage can match it. Big bold manly tone, nothing like the girly squeal of Ferrari. Being muffled by a pair of turbos seems to have no bearing on the sound quality.

It's the worst handling car I have driven, steering is unresponsive and heavy, gas pedal is heavy, the ride is rough, the view out the back is extremely poor because of the spare tire, bad reflections off the glass everywhere as all the glass are flat panels. BUT I LOVE IT!!! This car is just so raw it's like the polar opposite of the X6M. 

The car just ooze solid metal, looks and feels like a big solid chunk of steel. The door lock action sounds like the bolt action from a rifle and the door slams with a very satisfying thunk. Like a bank vault. My wife thinks it's the safest car on the road, which is not far off as there is almost 3 tons worth of mass and physics dictates in a collision the one with the most mass wins. 

After this first drive now I understands why most of the G owners keep buying the G over and over again. They are like the most loyal followers. It's such a quirky car that nothing else like it. 

Congrats, it's such an amazing machine! So solid. Your brand new AMG model is a 30+ year improvement of a very solid car that was used by the German army. In Germany you actually only see them occasionally on the rural farm roads by a farmer... not an AMG beast of course but some 280 CDI, but even that must be cool. I think for our area it's the perfect machine.. very safe and capable downtown in urban usage, but will have no issues hitting Whistler, Cypress or even dirt and gravel backroads.

Come to think of it, it's my favorite car.. Been drooling over this one:
    http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/nvn/ctd/3682861955.html

With my limited budget however, I am more looking at something like this for my next project smiley
    http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/cto/3650652994.html

Again, congrats to buying this amazing Benz! Hope you will post some pics of it soon. Yes there are tons downtown, but I know yours will be nicely optioned and will looked stunning!

cheers wink

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather (Canada)
    1991 BMW 318i Brilliantrot/Black Leather (Germany)

Ex: '89 525i, '74 280E, '87 325is, '86 325e, '05 FF, '85.5 944

i have been eyeying the G for many years as well. when i was about to order, it was the G55 and word was already out about the intro og the G63...hence, i went for the X6m. i still fancy the G and am seriously considering...the only Thing that always puts me off in the last Minute is knowing that it is an ancient car. and while always updated, they cannot do away with what it basically is, a tank. nevertheless, this car is iconic and i can feel it will be my next car :)

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Maybe Whoopsy is a "back in the day" Citizen Band radio user , "copy" Smiley..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

intouch1:

i have been eyeying the G for many years as well. when i was about to order, it was the G55 and word was already out about the intro og the G63...hence, i went for the X6m. i still fancy the G and am seriously considering...the only Thing that always puts me off in the last Minute is knowing that it is an ancient car. and while always updated, they cannot do away with what it basically is, a tank. nevertheless, this car is iconic and i can feel it will be my next car :)

I was in the same boat, but I hated the old interior so I never bothered and switched to the X6M. But while I loved the power and poise of the X6M, it feels a bit 'generic', especially on the inside. After the intro on the G63 with all new interior, I was extremely tempted to jump ship, and I did.

I got over the 30+ yr old ancient part by looking at my 911 Smiley

congrats !

What a great iconic car.

More pics and infos are welcome

I have fallen way behind on this thread. Any pics of the animal in the wild?

Congrats! Great choice!

As owner of an X6 looking for a replacement in spring I must also say that the G is always worth a thought! 

The new interior is much improved, I hated that old steering wheel...

--

turbolite

Congrats! Pay attention to rust, though, if you want to keep it for longer.
    Unfortunately it's a very common problem with these cars.
    My G55 is a little more than two years old and already has massive rust on all doors.

8000RPM:

Congrats! Pay attention to rust, though, if you want to keep it for longer.
    Unfortunately it's a very common problem with these cars.
    My G55 is a little more than two years old and already has massive rust on all doors.

Seriously? In the year 2013, there are still Mercedes with rust issues? Unbelievable. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

There's a rare German spec G280 CDI for sale here from 1979! and they want $28,000 for it... Oh it is completely rusted out, to a dangerous level! I told him it's such a cool car, went to see it.. the price being totally unrealistic. Then when I found the rust I laughed out loud. You want 28k for this... Christmas is in December smiley

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

enlightened I somehow have a hard time believing this rust issue after watsching this video... 

https://www.google.be/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=mercedes%20g%20klasse%20rost&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCsQtwIwAA&url=...

--

turbolite

Congrats!! Wonderful car... angel

I am looking for a performance suv and the only thing that stops me to buy the G 63 is the comfort. Everyone in the reviews says that is very stiff... and if I want a suv, I want a comfortable car... but it's only my opinion. 

So I'm waiting for the upcoming X5 M or Range Rover Sport Supercharged RS. 

--

2011 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Cabriolet PDK Basalt Black/Cocoa

2013 Aston Martin Cygnet 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761452 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434800 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260202 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257355 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80842 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5315 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871646 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806935 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM