Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 911 GT3 (991)

watt:
    nberry:

I attending a Porsche function over a year ago and t/w a 997GT3 owner and his wife. They were discussing a trip they took from San Diego to LA and back. The wife was complaining about the harshness of the ride and said both of them had a headache ride that far in the car.

I understand that it is a performance car but if it cannot be used comfortably for daily use I may be making a mistake. I know with the 997.2TT it was fine to drive but once it went into sport mode the car became much stiffer and had a harsher ride. That is fine for short duration but to use it regularly would not be a fun car to drive on streets. I assume that the GT3 with the sport button does the same though maybe not as comfortable which I can live with. I just don't want a bouncy ride feeling every imperfection on the road.

Its way too rough for you, get a Case of tylenol pm and a cadillac

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Nberry has a point.

The GT3 is a car which MUST make sense both on the track and on the road.  One of the great pleasures is to have such a sharp car that can do both.

If the car became too harsh for the road then it would not make sense anymore.  For the track you can get much more focused cars, “track-day weapons”, for a fraction of the purchase price and (track) running costs of the GT3, while much faster than the GT3 on the track, with proper downforce for some vehicles and an experience closer to that of race car than what the GT3 can provide.  In Europe, this alternative exists.  These cars are built mainly in the UK, which I believe is the last heaven of the true sports-cars enthusiast.  For example, a simple Caterham R300 superlight of only 175hp can be faster than a 997.2 GT3 on a track, not to mention that it will provide an even purer driving experience (no assistance re steering, suspension, brakes, box, etc… whatsoever) putting the driver back where he belongs.  You can of course get the R400 with about 220 hp or the R500 with 265 hp.  Recently an R600 was released which is even more of a killer.  All these cars are below 50k sterling pounds.  And these cars are without any downforce.  For the step beyond with downforce, there are the Caterham SP300R, Radicals, etc…, all below 100k sterling pounds.  They are all very light.

I have not been able to identify any production car from Germany or Italy (regardless of price) weighing under 1,300 kg.  Think about it.  Most of the UK cars mentioned above weigh less than half 1,300 kg.

If you are tempted by something even more extreme while within the 991 GT3 purchase budget, try an Ariel Atom 500 (revving over 10,000 rpm).  If I recall correctly, its power to weight ratio is about 1/1!  There is actually a Clarkson video showing what the Atom 500 did to poor 997.2 GT3 RS, a video all will enjoy except the most narrow-minded Porschephiles.  Smiley

Many of you quote the Nordschleife times.  Try and look up what Radicals did to the track and how many years ago!

However, driving to and from the track in such “track-day weapons” is not so pleasant and comfortable.  Ergo the GT3 which offers an interesting, yet very expensive, compromise.

I therefore believe that comparing the GT3s of any generation to those British “track-day weapons” helps put the GT3 in perspective and better define why it is on the market.

After all, the 911 has always been, since inception, a road car sometimes with track-oriented variants.  It never started as a race car contrary to what Porsche used to manufacture in the 1950’s and 60’s, but tends to forget now in order to market the 911 … or reminisce only to buoy the advertising campaign of the Cayman (exhibiting the 904), for example.

Comments welcome.

nberry:

If the new mid engine car is the size of a Cayman but with a much more powerful engine I believe it will fail. Its foot print needs to be much larger to attract buyers willing to pay $150,000 and up for the car. Recognizing with size comes weight, it is a small price to pay to give the car road presence other than being a Cayman.

+++++++++++++++++

This car sort of already exists, thanks to RUF finally waking up to meet the demand.

It was shown at the 2013 Geneva car show, under the name Boxster 3800S.  The car can be made indifferently for 981 Boxsters and Caymans.  It has the 3.8 liter 991S drivetrain, boosted to 420hp.

Weight?  Same as the standard Boxster S (weight saving measures on the car such as a completely specific exhaust system).

Price?  90k euros, plus tax.

Specs:  you can get the car any way you want it, as usual with RUF cars.

I will certainly make the trip to Pfaffenhausen, when the car becomes available for test drives by the start of this summer.

nberry:

Thanks.  Notice how he EMPHASIZES the daily use aspect to the car. That is why they probably are predicting 10% of all 2014 911 sales in US will be GT3's.kiss

Yes, not a surprise... Nick I would not be worried at all about the liveability of the new GT3.  I drove the 997 version twice, and  to me it was very liveable as a DD, except one big thing (the very heavy clutch and to a lesser extent stiff shifter - no longer an issue with PDK), and one smaller issue (low ride height and ease of crunching the front lip - solved with the lifter option).  The ride IMO was firm, but not crashy, was very well controlled with more than enough suppleness to enjoy most roads, and was easily in character with the car's performance.  Noise may be the other issue for some re. discomfort on longer drives, as I would guess the 997 GT3 is 2-3 times noisier than standard C2S, but maybe F430 drivers would find it normal.... and the GT3 exhaust/intake noise is part of its unique character.    

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Thanks for the excellent input.

I am debating about the lifter option. With the 997.2TT  it also was low and had it share of scraps but the rubber piece is replaceable for about $250. The lifter is  a $1700 option. However, the GT3 promo literature indicates it has a lower front by one inch than previous models. Not sure it will be a problem other than changing out the rubber front piece.

--

nberry:

Thanks for the excellent input.

I am debating about the lifter option. With the 997.2TT  it also was low and had it share of scraps but the rubber piece is replaceable for about $250. The lifter is  a $1700 option. However, the GT3 promo literature indicates it has a lower front by one inch than previous models. Not sure it will be a problem other than changing out the rubber front piece.

Definately get the lifter, as you say its not only the low suspensions, what really gets you is the combination of that with the lower front fender, its not just the lip that makes it lower, the whole fender reacher lower as well. And while the lip is replaceable, its attached to the bumper and you may damage that as well if you hit it hard or fast enough. I had a 996 with the sport suspension and GT3 aerokit the lower front bumper forced me to sometimes have get into city garages by backing it up in reverse in order to be able to have the necesary ground clearance, attack speed bumps at an angle, etc.... Don't know if you will encounter such problems in US compared to EU cities but 1700$ is definately worth it in my opinion. Just my 2 cents worth Smiley

--

PBS2010:

This car sort of already exists, thanks to RUF finally waking up to meet the demand.

It was shown at the 2013 Geneva car show, under the name Boxster 3800S.  The car can be made indifferently for 981 Boxsters and Caymans.  It has the 3.8 liter 991S drivetrain, boosted to 420hp.

RUF made great job with 3800S in terms of engine, but their designers made awful job IMO. Taking elements from 991 & slapping them on front bumper is big NO NO. Back in history RUF had some small, but characteristic visual elements that made RUF a "RUF". 

--

All my automotive & motorcycle renders in full resolution: www.milannoartworks.deviantart.com
    My renders are free for using & sharing, as long as my credits are untouched.

The US Configurator shows $3490 for the front axel lift system.  Still cheaper than repeatedly replacing the front lip.  I don't plan to use the car as a daily driver, but it has to be a tolerable ride for the passenger which I don't believe will be an issue for this GT3.  When I take the delivery test ride w/ the wife I'll decide whether to write the check to purchase or lease for 24 months. 

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

PBS2010:

In Europe, this alternative exists.  These cars are built mainly in the UK, which I believe is the last heaven of the true sports-cars enthusiast.  For example, a simple Caterham R300 superlight of only 175hp can be faster than a 997.2 GT3 on a track, 

Sorry, this is quite a strange view. These cars (Caterham etc.) are like dog food on the track, even with a 997GT3 Smiley

Never thought the BAC Mono as dog food on the track....but maybe your definition differs...BAC Mono.jpg

BMCG:

Never thought the BAC Mono as dog food on the track....but maybe your definition differs...BAC Mono.jpg

These cars are not legal for street use in many countries (including Germany). We are talking about real cars - not about garage creations Smiley

MKSGR...colour me lost..i never mentioned the street...you stated  "These cars (Caterham etc.) are like dog food on the track"....i interpreted "dog food" as "poor".....

My mistake re: lifter. That is a lot of money. I will check the front lip of the 997 GT3 to determine how low the lip is  and what is involved in replacing. If it is similar to the 997 TT, then I don't see a problem.

Like you I am debating writing a check or going with the two year lease. Apparently the terms of the two year lease are attractive except for the mileage restriction of 5000 per year.Smiley But like you, it will not be a daily driving car for me.

--

Just check the respective heights of the 997TT and 991GT3.

997TT 50.2 inches

GT3 49.6 inches

If extrapolate correctly can I assume the front lip difference is less than a half an inch? If so, as I indicated earlier other than some scraping of the rubber under piece it was not a problem with the 997.2TT. cheeky

--

nberry:

997TT 50.2 inches

GT3 49.6 inches

If extrapolate correctly can I assume the front lip difference is less than a half an inch? If so, as I indicated earlier other than some scraping of the rubber under piece it was not a problem with the 997.2TT. cheeky

The other dimension that likely matters is the length of the front overhang; after all that is why it scrapes (in cars with v. short overhangs, ride height is irrelevant).  I don't know if the 991 ended up with a shorter front overhang compared to the 997 as a result of the wheelbase expansion - anyone know??  

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

4trac:
    nberry:

997TT 50.2 inches

GT3 49.6 inches

The other dimension that likely matters is the length of the front overhang; after all that is why it scrapes (in cars with v. short overhangs, ride height is irrelevant).  I don't know if the 991 ended up with a shorter front overhang compared to the 997 as a result of the wheelbase expansion - anyone know??  

Correct, the problem its how its further foward, my 997 has lower suspensions than my 996 but with the 997 I have no problems in scarpìng the front at all and it it scrapes its just the rubber llips in front of the tires which is no problem, in the 996 it was the aerokit's lower lip which was not rubber and was even painted and that was a problem.

But in regards to the overhang of the 991 compared to the 997, thats a good point 4trac since  the 991 actually has a shorter overhang as a consecuence of the longer wheelbase so that may compensate a bit in the 991? Smiley

--

MKSGR

"These cars are not legal for street use in many countries (including Germany). We are talking about real cars - not about garage creations"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You are partly right.

The point was questioning whether the GT3 is a “track car” or not, given the abundance of writing about track use on this forum.

I wrote that the GT3 is a road car (like the 911 predecessors) and that comparing the GT3s of any generation to those British “track-day weapons” helps put the GT3 in perspective and better define why it is on the market.  It helps to make choices.

For those only worried about track performance, then the GT3 is an underperforming and overpriced product for track purposes, and too expensive to run, than the “track-day weapons” from the UK (or elsewhere if they exist).  One can argue that Porsches are underpowered and overprices products in general.

It is for a mix road and track use that the GT3 makes sense.

Please do not say that the British cars I mentioned are not real cars.  It is neither true as a matter of fact nor respectful of the heritage, which, for some brands is older (especially regarding racing) than Porsche’s.

May be that is why they continue making real track cars and are legitimate doing so.

And in case it was on your mind, if you believe that pure sports cars only come from Germany, you are sooo wrong.

Cheers.

MKSGR:
    BMCG:

These cars are not legal for street use in many countries (including Germany). We are talking about real cars - not about garage creations Smiley

Hi GT2 brother,

well..these are certainly not garage creations..for example from an aerodynamic point of view..a 997 or 991 GT3 would be a "garage creation" compared to a Mono BAC. You cannot compare these cars...one is a street car..the other a racing car barely street legal.

If it comes to pure speed - the race car will always be faster. A second hand Formula 3 car for 70K will destroy our GT2 in a few seconds on a track. I would advise to drive one day such a car. In fact, having a car collection of a few cars..- all street legal - I´m now on the "trip" that only a racing car can satisfy me now. There is no point for me now going from a 997 GT2 to a 991 GT3..there performance difference will be marginal..however a GT3 CUP or a Formula race car is somthing different. So Im in the market for such "garage creations"..Smiley..your invited to witness their "destructtive capabilities" to road cars once I own one. But I can tell you..300HP is enough to make our GT2 appear like lame ducks..

GTlover:
    Smiley..your invited to witness their "destructtive capabilities" to road cars once I own one. But I can tell you..300HP is enough to make our GT2 appear like lame ducks..

500 kg + 300 hp = Track monster

--

All my automotive & motorcycle renders in full resolution: www.milannoartworks.deviantart.com
    My renders are free for using & sharing, as long as my credits are untouched.

BMCG:

MKSGR...colour me lost..i never mentioned the street...you stated  "These cars (Caterham etc.) are like dog food on the track"....i interpreted "dog food" as "poor".....

PBS2010 mentioned these track cars in combination with the sentence: "If the car (991 GT3) became too harsh for the road then it would not make sense anymore". I.e. his logic was: if the GT3 was too harsh you could also use a track-tool. This implies (for practical reasons) that this track tool is otherwise comparable (but harsher riding, of course) Smiley

nberry:

997TT 50.2 inches

GT3 49.6 inches

The problem is more the relative position of the front spoiler vs. the front axle. That's what makes the GT models a bit less suited form steeper ramps etc.

GTlover:
    MKSGR:
    BMCG:

Never thought the BAC Mono as dog food on the track....but maybe your definition differs...

Hi GT2 brother,

well..these are certainly not garage creations..for example from an aerodynamic point of view..a 997 or 991 GT3 would be a "garage creation" compared to a Mono BAC. You cannot compare these cars...one is a street car..the other a racing car barely street legal.

If it comes to pure speed - the race car will always be faster. A second hand Formula 3 car for 70K will destroy our GT2 in a few seconds on a track. I would advise to drive one day such a car. In fact, having a car collection of a few cars..- all street legal - I´m now on the "trip" that only a racing car can satisfy me now. There is no point for me now going from a 997 GT2 to a 991 GT3..there performance difference will be marginal..however a GT3 CUP or a Formula race car is somthing different. So Im in the market for such "garage creations"..Smiley..your invited to witness their "destructtive capabilities" to road cars once I own one. But I can tell you..300HP is enough to make our GT2 appear like lame ducks..

This is rather nonsense. Of course is a Formula 3 car (on slicks!) faster than a legal road car. If a track tool like the above is indeed faster on the track than a GT2RS (on same tires) I am not sure and it will depend on the track. The major difference are tires. The GT2RS can compensate a lot of the extra weight with its much higher engine power, depending on the track profile.

Good point! The longer wheel base should result in a shorter overhang. Smiley

With the Ferrari's and TT I avoided certain gas stations and other locations because of steep driveways. I guess one needs to plan ahead.Smiley

Also, unless the car knocks my socks off, I plan to keep it only for a couple of years and see what Porsche has to offer in newer models. The 991TT pictures did not impress me.Smiley

--

Angle of approach is great in the 991 due to the shorter overhand.  The wheelbase has little to do with it.

I guess no one knows or is interested in the speed achieved in each gear...can't find it anywhere (that should get the ball moving).  Come on guys.  Is it just me?  Never asked for any specifics like that but everyone is ignoring the question.

Leawood911:

Angle of approach is great in the 991 due to the shorter overhand.  The wheelbase has little to do with it.

I guess no one knows or is interested in the speed achieved in each gear...can't find it anywhere (that should get the ball moving).  Come on guys.  Is it just me?  Never asked for any specifics like that but everyone is ignoring the question.

http://www.germancarforum.com/community/threads/2014-porsche-911-gt3.48493/page-4#post-627040

BiTurbo:
    Leawood911:

http://www.germancarforum.com/community/threads/2014-porsche-911-gt3.48493/page-4#post-627040

+++++++++++++++++++++

It seems that official figures have not yet been released yet regarding speed & rpm on the intermediate gears and the final gear.

On the basis that of the statement made by Mr. Preuninger that top speed was achieved in the seventh gear, and assuming that the top speed is achieved at the max power rpm (8250), I made some calculations.  Of course this is an approximation and the videos released by Porsches, showing various very short views of the central dial on the dashboard with the speed and rpms, provide more accurate information.

Based on these videos, I noticed that the gearing on the 991 GT3 is much shorter than all the 997.2 GT3, GT3 RS 3.8 and 4.0, by about 10-20 km/h in 4th and 5th.  On these videos, you can read the following:

• 4th gear at 8600 rpm yields 190km/h
    • 5th gear at 7500 rpm yields 217km/h

For what they are worth, here are my calculations:

RPM

km/h (7)

km/h (6)

km/h (5)

km/h (4)

km/h (3)

km/h (2)

km/h (1)

ratio

1 000

3 000

4 000

4 250

4 500

4 750

5 000

5 250

5 500

5 750

6 000

6 250

6 500

6 750

7 000

7 250

7 500

7 750

8 000

8 250

8 500

8 750

9 000

I agree.

MKSGR:
    BMCG:

PBS2010 mentioned these track cars in combination with the sentence: "If the car (991 GT3) became too harsh for the road then it would not make sense anymore". I.e. his logic was: if the GT3 was too harsh you could also use a track-tool. This implies (for practical reasons) that this track tool is otherwise comparable (but harsher riding, of course) Smiley

++++++++++++++++++

I am glad to have stirred reactions on such an important point because it guides a decision to purchase the GT3 or not, a decision best made not in isolation but by comparing alternatives.

Let me summarize my point in one sentence:  a GT3 limited to track use because it is too harsh to be driven on the road, with a passenger, does not make any sense, because there are alternatives of track-focused cars which are vastly faster, more efficient, more instructive to drive and cheaper to purchase and maintain for track use than a GT3.

How can one believe that a car which weighs over 1.5 tons with a full 90 L tank and one passenger is a track-focused car only?

The GT3 is a great car for a mix, road & track use.  That’s its niche.  That is why it has two seats, homologation, license plates, and the build quality that lets it get away with both road and some track use.

Of course, each of us has his or her personal tolerance to harshness.

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Porsche Cars North America on the New 911 GT3... (HD version)

"Detlev von Platen, president and CEO of Porsche Cars North America, talks to the Wall Street Journal at the 2013 New York International Auto Show about the forthcoming Porsche 911 GT3, the limited edition..."

Porsche Cars North America on the New 911 GT3 -- Video Link (HD)

Smiley SmileySmiley

It's interesting that the PCNA CEO said that approx 10% of the 991 sales in the USA are expected to be 991 GT3s. In the past, one of the great things about the GT cars is that resale values have been better than for cars produced in greater numbers (eg Boxster, Cayman, Carrera, Turbo etc).

I fear that with higher supply, GT resale values could perhaps go the same way as the Carreras, Turbos etc. One can't help conclude that Porsche is putting its new car sales targets as the top priority without caring what long term effect this may have on the used car market (which, given that 70% of Porsches are still on the road) is an important component of the Porsche market.

The cost to trade in a Porsche (to buy a new one) can become prohibitively high for some if the depreciation hit is too large on the trade in. And then OPCs charge top prices for those trade ins when on-selling them.

Incidentally, the GT3 costs GBP98k inc VAT in the UK. It's US$130k (GBP85k) plus sales tax in the US so the gap is not so great anymore. Unless I'm missing something here, now seems to be a good time to buy a GT3 in the UK.

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Except that 98K Pounds is 149K US Dollars.  In some states there is NO sales tax at all.  There is NO national VAT in the US.  My sales tax in KS is around 7%. 

True though.  The gap is not so great any longer.

Leawood911:

Except that 98K Pounds is 149K US Dollars.  In some states there is NO sales tax at all.  There is NO national VAT in the US.  My sales tax in KS is around 7%. 

True though.  The gap is not so great any longer.

UK Pricing for this new model is as follows:

911 GT3: £100,540.00 (RRP inc VAT)

The UK specification for the new 911 GT3 includes the following: Top tint windscreen, Porsche Vehicle Tracking System, Third year warranty including Porsche Assistance cover and a Porsche Driving Experience.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    760068 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434039 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259851 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256992 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80645 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5309 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870922 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806032 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM