Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 911 GT3 (991)

Times are changing so fast these days - after just a couple of months absence from RT I am checking in again and Nick is buying a GT3 Smiley I am sure you do the right thing, Nick- every sportscar afficionado has to enjoy one of these beasts at least once in a lifetime.

You hit the nail on the head. It will be my first experience with a raw sport car which hopefully is compliant enough to enjoy on public roads. I could not past up the chance to own it since its recent styling makes it a very attractive car and  sets it apart from other Porsche's. Smiley

--

In blue with white accents :) 

Open photo in new tab for full resolution.

--

All my automotive & motorcycle renders in full resolution: www.milannoartworks.deviantart.com
    My renders are free for using & sharing, as long as my credits are untouched.

macca993:

GTLover. Wow what a great bet. But Ill take you up on it as I just got an email from a solictor in UK and apparently my long lost unknown relative just left me 5 million pounds because there were no direct relatives to pay too and once Ive given my bank account details I will get this money and then if Im wring I can pay you...ok? LOL!

Seriously though. Imagine if it DID hit 1.08? What would happen to the super car establishment. Everyone would have 4WS in their development plants LOL!

OK...Smiley..

If it would do 1:08..well - whether all that would just come from the steering..a car is made of different elements that influence the peformance, weight, HP, tires, suspension, driver etc...just to name a few..

But lets see....

MKSGR:
    boytronic:
    As others have pointed out the new GT3 is a road car with no Motorsport link and therefore it may not even be suitable to take this car on track. 

Are you joking Smiley This is nonsense and I hope you know it.

Why is it nonsense - I´ll ask differently - what is the direct link from the 991 CUP to the 991 GT3..please list any similar parts..(?)

If the new engine will get into the 2014 CUP..then the link is established  - BUT speaking as of today - I dont see a clear link besides the mirrors that are the same.

If you know more.,then please explain

Why is it nonsense - I´ll ask differently - what is the direct link from the 991 CUP to the 991 GT3..please list any similar parts..(?)
    This is the bit that is 'nonsense':
    "..therefore it may not even be suitable to take this car on track.."

GTlover:
    MKSGR:
    boytronic:
    As others have pointed out the new GT3 is a road car with no Motorsport link and therefore it may not even be suitable to take this car on track. 

If the new engine will get into the 2014 CUP..then the link is established  - BUT speaking as of today - I dont see a clear link besides the mirrors that are the same.

The nonsense part is: "therefore it may not even be suitable to take this car on track" Smiley

MKSGR:
    GTlover:
    MKSGR:
    boytronic:

The nonsense part is: "therefore it may not even be suitable to take this car on track" Smiley

Hello GT2 brotherSmiley

Ok.-.thanks...but hey, you know that we wont see 991 gt3 in the sportscup either..(for new)..so....

MKSGR:
    GTlover:
    MKSGR:
    boytronic:

No, it is not nonsense in the context that there are no proven Motorsport parts, hence the new technologies used are yet to show they can withstand track use. Only then could it be said that the new GT3 is suitable for track use. Afterall Porsche themselves will void any warranty claim you make if they find out you took the car on a track - they will state it was not designed for that. If you don't believe me try it ;)

I don’t want to get embroiled in this argument, but the 991 RSR is currently undergoing extensive testing (apparently with some very good results in terms of reliability).

The Cup car has also undergone (and is still undergoing) extensive testing. The Cup car has many parts that are the same as the road version of the car (as many as the previous 997 based Cup car had in common with its 997 road car cousin).

We all know that the engine is not (yet) the same as the one in the road car, but that will come in the fullness of time. The gearbox cannot be the same due to ACO/FiA regulations.

boytronic:
    MKSGR:
    GTlover:
    MKSGR:
    boytronic:

No, it is not nonsense in the context that there are no proven Motorsport parts, hence the new technologies used are yet to show they can withstand track use. Only then could it be said that the new GT3 is suitable for track use. Afterall Porsche themselves will void any warranty claim you make if they find out you took the car on a track - they will state it was not designed for that. If you don't believe me try it ;)

The car is suitable for track use if it was developed for track use. It is as simple as this. And you can be sure that Porsche developed it for track use - otherwise the product could not be sold to GT3 customers Smiley

MKSGR:
    GTlover:
    MKSGR:
    boytronic:

According to RC about 10-15 pages ago, this was the suggestion... Apparently they are street cars and not built for regular track use or so the story went and thus we shouldn't expect it from the Carrera SS... Just saying...Smiley

MKSGR:
    The car is suitable for track use if it was developed for track use. It is as simple as this. And you can be sure that Porsche developed it for track use - otherwise the product could not be sold to GT3 customers Smiley

Well said, Markus Smiley

Here is another interesting interview with Andreas Preuninger:

http://www.radical-mag.com/forum/wieso-der-gt3-so-gut-sein-soll-1722/seite_9-10

I am too lazy to translate the entire text, but he made clear that "our new motorsport engine block" is working in the 991 GT3. Of course there will be further developments and adaptions as this is the starting point for a completely new motorsport engine generation. And since when does driving on a track (not racing!) invalidate the warranty ? I am aware even of engine replacements, gearbox replacements and other repairs under warranty for any type of Porsches (not only GT-variants) with regular track use. Of course there is a fine line between "use" and "abuse". Any reasonable track amateur is aware that these toys are no racecars and will treat the car accordingly Smiley

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Porsche-Jeck:
    MKSGR:

Well said, Markus Smiley

Here is another interesting interview with Andreas Preuninger:

http://www.radical-mag.com/forum/wieso-der-gt3-so-gut-sein-soll-1722/seite_9-10

I am too lazy to translate the entire text, but he made clear that "our new motorsport engine block" is working in the 991 GT3. Of course there will be further developments and adaptions as this is the starting point for a completely new motorsport engine generation. And since when does driving on a track (not racing!) invalidate the warranty ? I am aware even of engine replacements, gearbox replacements and other repairs under warranty for any type of Porsches (not only GT-variants) with regular track use. Of course there is a fine line between "use" and "abuse". Any reasonable track amateur is aware that these toys are no racecars and will treat the car accordingly Smiley

We hope youre correct..but you know that Nissan and Ferrari are treating these subjects differently..and then there were RCs comments that 911rox mentioned.

Im only afraid that Porsche will adopt the Nissan policy - veriffied by GPS and which means - car on track (even just for show or whatever = pay for yourself.

There are enough horror stories available....you know Porsche owners are sometimes "paranoia"..its part of our genes..Smiley

GTlover:
    ..you know Porsche owners are sometimes "paranoia"..its part of our genes..Smiley

Yes I know - if we would be less risk averse we wouldn't buy Porsches Smiley

As for the horror stories: I rather stick to my own real life experiences than bothering with internet stories. Having said that I certainly will conduct proper due diligence before ordering a new GT3/RS meaning "no warranty = no deal". BTW the same goes for the insurance (I have full coverage for track days, Touristenfahrten etc.). In my case it's not a matter of paranoia but  of  financial prudence Smiley

On another note: while the technology of the 991 GT3 seems to be a revolution compared to the 997 models, designwise the 991 GT3 appears to me more like an evolution (at least not such a disruptive move as from 997 Carrera to 991 Carrera) - being a 997 GT3 lover I like that. Though I am still not a fan of the new center console - but probably can be fixed by throwing in some CF parts instead of the standard silver coloured frame accentuating the new design.

And I agree with Nick: White suits the 991 GT3 very well.......yummie (damned, it seems that the "want one" genes are stronger than the "paranoia genes") Smiley

white_top_view.jpg white_rear.jpg

Clubsport.jpg --

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

I believe you are making too much of the warranty issue. Porsche's promotional video (in this thread) for the 991GT3 shows it on the track and talks in terms of improving a drivers performances in tenths of a second. If this is not an indication it is track car then I don't know what is.

Porsche has always had the warranty language disclaimer. Yet, if breakdown occurs without evidence of abuse I doubt very much that Porsche will not honor the repair. On that I have no doubt because I know of several instances where breakdown occurred related to track work and Porsche made the necessary repairs.  

--

Spyderidol:
    The Cup car has also undergone (and is still undergoing) extensive testing. The Cup car has many parts that are the same as the road version of the car (as many as the previous 997 based Cup car had in common with its 997 road car cousin).

Come on, cut the BS. What Cup parts are identical to road car? See, this is more of the inch-deep/mile-wide kind of comment that has no basis in fact. Porsche marketing has you guys so brainwashed it is pathetic. Name me any specific functional parts (non-cosmetic) that are the same part number between 2010+ Cup and GT3? Here, I will throw you a bone, one part, brake caliper.

Engine? Nope!, Transmission? Nope! LSD? Nope! Shifter? Nope! Dash Display? Nope! Dampers? Nope! Uprights? Nope! Control arms? Nope! Wheels? Nope! Wheel attachment system? Nope! Steering? Nope! Seats? Nope! Roll cage? Nope! Fuel tank? Nope! Clutch actuation hardware and hydraulics? Nope! Brake hydraulic system? Nope! Exhaust system? Nope! Air intake system? Nope!

Now your turn...

No matter how much I like the 991 GT3, the 997 RS remains the stuff of dreams for me.

I went to check out below example yesterday at a dealer nearby, absolutely perfect car for my needs. angel

http://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/porsche-911-coupe-2010-occasion?lng=de&accountid=63713&vehtyp=10&page=2&index=33&...

Porker:
    I went to check out below example yesterday at a dealer nearby, absolutely perfect car for my needs. angel

http://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/porsche-911-coupe-2010-occasion?lng=de&accountid=63713&vehtyp=10&page=2&index=33&...

If you go for this one be careful with the  front roll cage. It does not pass the homologation anymore . So you will have to mount and dismount it each time , and according to my mechanic this is a real pita job  

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

savvy:
    Spyderidol:

Come on, cut the BS. What Cup parts are identical to road car? See, this is more of the inch-deep/mile-wide kind of comment that has no basis in fact. Porsche marketing has you guys so brainwashed it is pathetic. Name me any specific functional parts (non-cosmetic) that are the same part number between 2010+ Cup and GT3? Here, I will throw you a bone, one part, brake caliper.

Engine? Nope!, Transmission? Nope! LSD? Nope! Shifter? Nope! Dash Display? Nope! Dampers? Nope! Uprights? Nope! Control arms? Nope! Wheels? Nope! Wheel attachment system? Nope! Steering? Nope! Seats? Nope! Roll cage? Nope! Fuel tank? Nope! Clutch actuation hardware and hydraulics? Nope! Brake hydraulic system? Nope! Exhaust system? Nope! Air intake system? Nope!

Now your turn...

I didn't realize seats have an effect on performance and reliability.

Engine block.

Your turn.

Please don't be ridiculous  It is obvious that the suspension, brakes and gearbox are different on a competition car than on a road car. 

As you may know, race cars have to be homologated, and therefore, The basis of the race car is the corresponding road car. The GT3 (RS) is the corresponding road car used fro the homologation of the RSR. If you think that they are completely different in every single part, then be my guest.

Spyderidol:
    savvy:
    Spyderidol:
    I didn't realize seats have an effect on performance and reliability.

Engine block.

Your turn.

No need, you reinforced my point quite well. Thank you  Smiley

Perhaps in your mind. wink

From Porsche website. Still don't believe it is a track car?

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/911-gt3/usa.aspx?pc=99181FBGA

--

Perhaps a brief look at the ACO rules fro Homologation might help:

Eligibility
    The Endurance Committee is the only authority to judge the
    eligibility of a "LM" GTE car.
    Eligibility criteria of a "LM" GTE Grand Touring car are made
    out by the Endurance Committee.
    The "LM" GTE Grand Touring car must meet a minimum of
    the following criteria:
    a/ ;
    To be regularly produced by a Manufacturer approved by
    ACO;
     
    A regular production implies a permanent implementation of
    the means required to produce a minimum of 1 car per week
    for the "Big Manufacturers" and one car per month to the
    "Small Manufacturers". If the production is not respected, the
    ACO will suspend the homologation of the car the year after.
    The suspension of the homologation will cease once the
    production delay has been made up. It will be permitted to
    compete with the car as soon as a minimum of 100 road
    cars for the "Big Manufacturers" and 25 road cars for the
    "Small Manufacturers" will be produced.
    b/ 
    To have a launch campaign: exhibitions in motor show, tests
    with journalists, leaflets with the technical specifications of
    FIA
    FIA Sport  / Published on 31.10.2012

the car…
    c/ 
    To have a commercial network at its disposal which provide
    an after-sales service. An exemplary of the spare parts'
    catalogue and the maintenance manual must be delivered
    during the homologation of the car.
    d/ 
    To be equipped with an engine used in a production car and
    made in a quantity of at least 300 units.
    e/ 

To have a "Full type CEE" homologation or equivalent for
    United States or Japan. For the small Manufacturers an
    official "Low Volume" homologation for the model of car will
    be accepted.
    Vehicles with a "Low-Volume" type approval which have not
    undergone frontal crash-testing must comply with the F.I.A.
    frontal crash-test defined in Article 258A-15, with the weight
    of the series vehicle reduced by 5%, or that required for the
    full type approval (EU or the USA or Japan).
    f/ 
    The fuel tank of the homologated road car cannot contain
    less than 50 litres.
    The use of the following technical specifications makes the
    eligibility of a car impossible:
    a/ 
    Parts of the suspension fixed on mechanical components :
    engine, gearbox, etc ;
    b/ 
    Carbon fibre (except for aerodynamic devices), titanium,
    magnesium (apart from wheels and standard production
    mechanical parts as listed in the Homologation Form), etc.,
    or unless specified in these regulations. A car with a carbon
    chassis can be accepted if:
    • It is made in a quantity of at least 300 units.
    • Only the cockpit is made with carbon elements,
    • No suspension element is fixed on this carbon structure.
    c/ 
    Air ducts integrated into the doors or/and into the doorsills
    excepted for the cockpit ventilation and for the exhaust
    system cooling.
    2.1.5 Dimensions maximum : Maximum dimensions:
      Overall length: 480 cm
      125 cm Front overhang: 125 cm
     110 cm Rear overhang: 110 cm

nberry:

I believe you are making too much of the warranty issue. Porsche's promotional video (in this thread) for the 991GT3 shows it on the track and talks in terms of improving a drivers performances in tenths of a second. If this is not an indication it is track car then I don't know what is.

Porsche has always had the warranty language disclaimer. Yet, if breakdown occurs without evidence of abuse I doubt very much that Porsche will not honor the repair. On that I have no doubt because I know of several instances where breakdown occurred related to track work and Porsche made the necessary repairs.  

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Regarding the warranty, it would be best to leave the topic to those who actually know what they are talking about, i.e. (i) understand the contract with Porsche and (ii) have practical, direct experience of warranty issues with their cars.

On the practical, direct experience of warranty issues because of track use, this deserves a specific topic on this forum.  Is there any such topic on the forum?

Regarding the warranty, one must check the sale documentation, which includes the owners’ manual.  The US/CAN 997.2 GT3 owner’s manual clearly states a warranty disclaimer in case of track use.  The best is to quote directly from this manual.

Use of the car on a track is addressed in the following sections of the owners’ manual:  Page 4, under the caption “Safety notes”, page 5 under “Development philosophy” and page 6 under “Service brake” and “Aerodynamic components”.

Page 4 provides the greatest level of detail of the various warnings about track use and its consequences on warranties.  It begins with following paragraph:

Your vehicle warranty does not cover use in competition, racing or track use or other events. Components and/or parts that fail during racing or driving events (including Porsche sponsored events) will not be covered by the manufacturer new car limited warranty or the pre-owned vehicle warranty.”

It does not say that the disclaimer applies to all circumstances, but only if the failure happens during the racing or [track] driving event.

Later on on same page it is stated:

Please bear in mind that use on race tracks subjects all vehicle components to considerably more wear than normal use, making professional inspection and maintenance after each use a vital precondition for functioning and safety”.

It means that in case of a failure, the owner will probably have to show Porsche that he complied with this condition and had his car professionally inspected after each track event.

Page 4 ends with the following paragraph:

Note again that in no case will Porsche warrant any parts damaged while racing your vehicle, on or off the track.”

While we deducted from the first paragraph on page 4 that track use impacted the warranty only if failure happens during the event, the closing paragraph of page 4 challenges this conclusion.  It seems limited to racing the car, while the generic exclusion pertains to any use, racing or not, on a track.

Page 5 starts with the following paragraph:

Porsche 911 GT3 stands for a sports car with exceptional performance, both on the road and on the race track.

This dispels any doubt of those who wondered whether the car could be used on a track.  Of course it can, but there are consequences.

Page 6, about brakes, starts with the following:

Both the standard brake system with composite brake discs and the Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB) are high-performance brake systems, designed specifically for driving on race circuits.”

Page 6 also adds the following regarding brakes:

The values communicated by Porsche are based on normal operation adapted to traffic. Wear increases considerably when the vehicle is driven on race tracks or through an aggressive driving style. Please consult an authorized Porsche dealer about the current guidelines in effect before such use of your vehicle.

Brake wear expectations are based on normal operations in street traffic. Wear increases considerably when the vehicle is driven on race tracks or with an aggressive driving style. Wear will also increase considerably if the brakes are not warmed up before being raced.

CONCLUSION

All of the warning comments in the owners’ manual about track use are common sense and I suppose anyone attending a track session, especially with a Porsche club, will be made aware of the relevant precautions and recommendations.

The only point worth noting is the impact on the warranty.  It is clear that if a breakdown happens during a track session, even if it is not a race, the warranty disclaimer applies.

What is not clear to me is if the disclaimer is applicable when the component breakdown can be traced to a track use, but occurs after a track session.

In any event, with the PDK it will be harder to break components especially the engine as it can no longer be over-revved on downshifts (and is protected, as in the past, by the limiter on upshifts).

Comments welcome.  Smiley

Porsche-Jeck: white_rear.jpg

--

Stunning! Smiley

--

I assume you believe I do not know what I am talking about?Smiley

So after the appropriate break in period I take my new 991GT3 to a local track for a fun day. As I am doing my first lap and revving the car to 8500 rpm's, due to a software malfunction the DFI fails and the car breaks down. It is towed from the track to my dealer. Will Porsche cover the repair? Smiley What do you think US courts would say?Smiley

My prediction would be Porsche would cover the repairs without hesitation. It is all about reasonableness and dealer relationships. Again, don't get too hung up on warranty language. The language is there for Porsche to have an out should there be evidence of abuse while tracking. Without the disclaimer, Porsche is essentially insuring against the mechanical breakdown of the car under circumstances beyond the limits of the car. That would be stupid on their part.Smiley

--

Posche UK are ferocious in resisting claims against their warranty, even when trading standards are involved (can't say more at the moment but thankfully it doesn't involve me). I would not want to be trying to make a warranty claim on any GT3 if I had tracked it.

--

Gen II Cayman S

Gnil:
    Porker:

If you go for this one be careful with the  front roll cage. It does not pass the homologation anymore . So you will have to mount and dismount it each time , and according to my mechanic this is a real pita job  

I wish! I'm sadly not in the market yet for such a car... I was in that garage to look at a CSL for a friend of mine. Smiley

nberry:

It is all about reasonableness and dealer relationships. Again, don't get too hung up on warranty language. 

Fully agree with you, Nick Smiley The language seems to vary from country to country - in the fineprint of my warranty doc (though 2 years old, may be different in the newest version) 

"motorsports competition" is excluded expressively only (which is o.k.), not track use Smiley

--

I've always found that your relationship with the dealer is the make or break on these type of warranty issues. If it breaks on the track and due to track usage which is harder on the part than street usage you're SOL.

If it's not a wear item that goes on the track you may have some sympathy from the dealer and they will potentially fix.

If it isn't a wear item, you regularly track the car and it breaks on the street its probably getting fixed under warranty unless you have a very antagonistic relationship with your dealer.

If it is something that will prematurely wear out due to track usage and it breaks on the street (hubs/suspension etc.) YMMV, totally depends on your relationship. 

--
    Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688954 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408904 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255619 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234878 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65459 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4640 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857732 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773679 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM