Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 911 GT3 (991)

So far the ranking of silvers that suit Porsche sports cars is:

1. GT Silver
    2. Silver metallic(936) of 70s early 80s
    3. Arctic silver
    4. Polar silver
    5. Platinum ??? a very distant last

We have to see Rhodium to judge. BTW Jaguar have a Rhodium silver in their colour chart.

--

"Form follows function"

911rox:
    dxpetrov:

Previous model looks like s**t compared to 991.

I suppose if someone wore coke bottles for glasses it may seem this way! Smiley

I think when you see a 991 side by side with a 997, the 997 does now look rather dated and old, but then I know what I am looking at!

But then I am quite sure that the average joe on the street couldnt tell a Boxster from a 911, let alone a specific model of GT3.   When I had my C2S with aero a few years back I had an enthustic young lad who thought he knew come up to me and say "Wow, nice car. Is that a GT3 or a Turbo?" - "neither, its just a Carrera S with Aerokit" I replied.  He just looked a bit confused and said "oh, thanks".

No argument there... With the current key features, it looks very 991. Just finding it hard to appreciate the rear lights, reflectors and the rear wing/ducktail looks disjointed from the flow of the car... The front- amazing, the side profile- great too... Just the rear I still need to get used to...

911rox:

No argument there... With the current key features, it looks very 991. Just finding it hard to appreciate the rear lights, reflectors and the rear wing/ducktail looks disjointed from the flow of the car... The front- amazing, the side profile- great too... Just the rear I still need to get used to...

It is the other drivers who should get used to the rear, because this the view of the car they will be obliged to see after they are overtaken by this superb GT3 Smiley

We shouldn't be complaining and nitpicking. This is another  fantastic and affordable (although still expensive)  high tech sportscar for the real world from the Porsche GT series. Well done Herr Preuninger and the Motorsport team.

--

"Form follows function"

Visited Geneva yesterday, short summary of the highlights for me:

Porsche - Sat in the 991GT3, looks great, seats seemed better than 997GT2 folding buckets I had in mine? Front PCCB massive, forged wheels are the most gorgeous bit on the new cars. Still hate the 991 centre console after 996/997s.

McLaren - had the best cakes on their stand, P1 is utterly gorgeous and amazing aero-tech, old F1 still one of the finest cars in existence. Yellow Spyder really eye-catching and well thought out bi-colour interior.

Lambo - Aventador is a bargain in comparison to the Hypercars and the Veneno is crazy looking in a good way. Nice cheese and ham upstairs, with Prosecco!

Ferrari - LaFerrari is just ugly in my opinion, it wouldn't have looked out of place on the Mansory stand, the F12 and 458 are just so elegant and beautiful in comparison. Proper Champagne here (Veuve) and everyone on the stand was a living cliche of Ferrari owners (old men with very young wives, old women whose surgeons simply don't have the skills to defeat time and many Italians wearing jeans so tight they must be borrowing their kids clothes and who self-tan with coffee granules).

Pagani - nice simple biscuits, Huayra is lovely in the flesh, still the best interior in any car ever made. The UK salesman is a wonderful chap (who raced 935s at Daytona) who gave me a Veyron test-drive a few years back and at least has a new model to sell!

Ruf - always a pleasure to see them, still miss mine. Alois's son now working for the company full-time, what an amazing family firm, been going 50yrs just like the 911. Last time I saw him we were doing close to 200mph in England in my car on a hired 3km long runway. Early visit so no snacks to report here.

Alpina - Always loved the interiors (I had a B10 Touring and a B5). New B3 is a discrete weapon (0-62mph 4.2secs in a 3-series) and XD3 (bad name) which is an X3 with a 350hp diesel that does 4.9sec 0-100kph. Meant to try their own Alpina wines but forgot.

Guy:

Porsche - Sat in the 991GT3, looks great, seats seemed better than 997GT2 folding buckets I had in mine? Front PCCB massive, forged wheels are the most gorgeous bit on the new cars. Still hate the 991 centre console after 996/997s.

McLaren - had the best cakes on their stand, P1 is utterly gorgeous and amazing aero-tech, old F1 still one of the finest cars in existence. Yellow Spyder really eye-catching and well thought out bi-colour interior.

Lambo - Aventador is a bargain in comparison to the Hypercars and the Veneno is crazy looking in a good way. Nice cheese and ham upstairs, with Prosecco!

Ferrari - LaFerrari is just ugly in my opinion, it wouldn't have looked out of place on the Mansory stand, the F12 and 458 are just so elegant and beautiful in comparison. Proper Champagne here (Veuve) and everyone on the stand was a living cliche of Ferrari owners (old men with very young wives, old women whose surgeons simply don't have the skills to defeat time and many Italians wearing jeans so tight they must be borrowing their kids clothes and who self-tan with coffee granules).

Pagani - nice simple biscuits, Huayra is lovely in the flesh, still the best interior in any car ever made. The UK salesman is a wonderful chap (who raced 935s at Daytona) who gave me a Veyron test-drive a few years back and at least has a new model to sell!

Ruf - always a pleasure to see them, still miss mine. Alois's son now working for the company full-time, what an amazing family firm, been going 50yrs just like the 911. Last time I saw him we were doing close to 200mph in England in my car on a hired 3km long runway. Early visit so no snacks to report here.

Alpina - Always loved the interiors (I had a B10 Touring and a B5). New B3 is a discrete weapon (0-62mph 4.2secs in a 3-series) and XD3 (bad name) which is an X3 with a 350hp diesel that does 4.9sec 0-100kph. Meant to try their own Alpina wines but forgot.

Nice report , but did you not have the lunch at Porsche , made by chef Philipe Chevrier ? The deserts where exquisite Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Guy:

Hi Guy,

Thanks for this "down to earth" report from Geneva..this is the stuff I´d like to read hereSmiley..You also own a GT2?

Ah, Ferrari drivers and their youn wifes..hmm..what I have seen however as you say are Ferrari owners wifes where surgeons couldnt take back the time..Smiley

After the new GT3 pictures here....we wouldnt mind some pictures of these very young Ferrari owners wives...Smiley

Does anyone know the speed in each gear for the new GT3?  Given the short ratios but higher redline I would like to see the stats. 

Thanks

GTlover:
    Thanks for this "down to earth" report from Geneva..this is the stuff I´d like to read hereSmiley..You also own a GT2?

Used to have 996 GT2 then 997GT2. Didn't take any pictures, far better ones on the net than my iPhone could manage.

Gnil:
    Nice report , but did you not have the lunch at Porsche , made by chef Philipe Chevrier ? The deserts where exquisite Smiley

No, I didn't get an invite, despite having had many 911s, last one being a factory collected 997GT2. A friend of mine asked his dealer (he has owned GT2/3s as well) and was told VIP invites cost £80 or similar, but they were all sold anyway.

The irony was not lost on me whilst being well entertained elsewhere.

reginos:

So far the ranking of silvers that suit Porsche sports cars is:

1. GT Silver
    2. Silver metallic(936) of 70s early 80s
    3. Arctic silver
    4. Polar silver
    5. Platinum ??? a very distant last

We have to see Rhodium to judge. BTW Jaguar have a Rhodium silver in their colour chart.

I've owned both Polar and Artic and I liked Polar much more...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Guy:

[...]

Ferrari - LaFerrari is just ugly in my opinion, it wouldn't have looked out of place on the Mansory stand...

Ouch! This must be the nastiest thing one can say about a car!

Thank you v. much for the report; the food and car juxtaposition.

agree....Smiley

Thank you

The Veneno is the kind tool that really puts to shame Lamborghini, what a piece of junk, not heaven Mansory or Hamann could do a worse Job!!!

J.Seven

Porsche 991 GT3 and GT3 Cup at Geneva...

Porsche 991 GT3 and GT3 Cup at Geneva -- Video Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Porsche 991 GT3 at Geneva... (more)

Porsche 991 GT3 at Geneva -- Video Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Porsche 991 GT3 photoshops by Wild Speed...

Porsche 991 GT3 in various different shades rendered by Wild Speed...

Porsche 991 GT3 photoshops by Wild Speed -- Gallery Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

The best colour is missing... Green :)

boytronic:

Envy green? Smiley Smiley

Funny story: I actually wanted to get the new GT3, wife was OK with it, my son was amazed, my daughter couldn't care less, Porsche Financial was OK with it too (I would have to get out of the Panamera Turbo S lease contract), even my sales person was OK with it, we already had some numbers on the table and I even got an early production slot reserved on my name but unfortunately the owner of the dealership said no because of the risks involved with taking my Panamera Turbo S in (buy-out from the lease company, Panamera facelift this June), so the deal fell through. Smiley

Actually the deal fell through because the dealer wanted to see extra money, he probably felt I badly want this car but emotions are one thing and bank accounts a different one, so... Smiley

Maybe I'm getting a GT3 RS in two or three years instead. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

I took a bath on the trade, no surprise, and MSRP "only because I am a good customer".  Market is still soft I gather and  the dealers make money selling cars while we lose it. Automotive entropy.  I am very enthused about the new GT3 which softens the financial pain.

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

RC:
    boytronic:

Envy green? Smiley Smiley

Funny story: I actually wanted to get the new GT3, wife was OK with it, my son was amazed, my daughter couldn't care less, Porsche Financial was OK with it too (I would have to get out of the Panamera Turbo S lease contract), even my sales person was OK with it, we already had some numbers on the table and I even got an early production slot reserved on my name but unfortunately the owner of the dealership said no because of the risks involved with taking my Panamera Turbo S in (buy-out from the lease company, Panamera facelift this June), so the deal fell through. Smiley

Actually the deal fell through because the dealer wanted to see extra money, he probably felt I badly want this car but emotions are one thing and bank accounts a different one, so... Smiley

Maybe I'm getting a GT3 RS in two or three years instead. Smiley

Get the 991 Turbo S, instead, and be able to drive both kids around.... Smiley

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

DaveC:

I took a bath on the trade, no surprise, and MSRP "only because I am a good customer".  Market is still soft I gather and  the dealers make money selling cars while we lose it. Automotive entropy.  I am very enthused about the new GT3 which softens the financial pain.

Consider the bath the price of your smiles in the GT3... Smiley  When is delivery?  In time for some summer fun drives on some twisty Appalachian roads?  

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Porsche 911 GT3 in-depth: Interior Concept...

"Clear rules apply at the limit. One of them being that a sporty design alone is not enough. Each detail must also serve a particular function. This especially applies to the cockpit of the car, where the driver needs information that can be accessed quickly and an interior ergonomics concept that enables even faster use of it..."

Porsche 911 GT3 in-depth: Interior Concept -- Video Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Guy:
    Gnil:

No, I didn't get an invite, despite having had many 911s, last one being a factory collected 997GT2. A friend of mine asked his dealer (he has owned GT2/3s as well) and was told VIP invites cost £80 or similar, but they were all sold anyway.

The irony was not lost on me whilst being well entertained elsewhere.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I made the trip to Geneva and visited the show last Saturday.  Too much crowd around the usual stands (Ferrari, especially, totally out of control, and Lamborghini).  All you want is avoid them, which I did.  Unfortunately, the Lambo stand was next to Porsche’s.  Luckily I had an invitation to the Porsche stand and its restaurant upstairs, thanks to my dealer, which was great relief after the grueling experience of swimming through the crowd to get to the Porsche stand at the far end of the building.

The Porsche convenience restaurant was great.  Very friendly service and plenty of food and drinks available.  Yes, the desserts were varied and very good.

There was a very nice chap in the recessed office dedicated to the Exclusive department, to help you configure your dream GT3.  The new metallic colors were available, in particular the Rhodium Silver and the Saphire blue.  I could compare them with their prior “equivalent”, i.e. Platinium silver and Acqua blue respectively.  Rhodium Silver is much less dark than Platinium silver and more neutral. It is just plain silver, and very light.  It reminds me of the old Arctic silver.  For a typical silver metallic, it looks great.  The color as shown on the configurator does not do it justice as it looks much darker on the configurator as it is in reality.

The Saphire blue is also less dark than Acqua blue, and less flashy.  It looks much more elegant.  I am not sure tough if it fits the GT3 character.

For those who want extra choice, it is unsure at this point whether color to sample will be available, and if Yes, when.

However, the staff was down on technical expertise, with contradictory information available, at best.

The first impression you get when you see the GT3 in reality is that is it a big car.  It looks bigger than the prior model.  Inside, it feels cozy.  The rising center console feels strange and so does the gear lever which is quite high up.  You also feel much more down into the car.  With the bucket seats you cannot raise your seat so if you are not tall it might be an issue.  To be confirmed with a road test.

I could not get an answer on whether or not you could adjust the bucket seat height at the time of delivery of the car or at the time of production, in order to better fit the customer’s size.

The first GT3s will be produced this summer.  If you want to see a variety of GT3s, you can make an appointment with the relevant persons in Zuffenhausen to see the few cars they will have available, by the end of August.

I hope this helps.  Smiley

4trac:
    DaveC:

Consider the bath the price of your smiles in the GT3... Smiley  When is delivery?  In time for some summer fun drives on some twisty Appalachian roads?  

Agree completely, the GT3 justifies the price of admission.  Delivery is not expected until 11/13 or possibly 12/13 according to the dealer information now available.

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

According to the video clip, the cockpit seat can be raised. Also, there is an option for 18 direction electric seat. I cannot imagine not being able to raise the seat.

--

DaveC:

I am seriously considering buying the GT3. But if one does not have any plans to track it, does it make sense to buy it?Smiley Why are you buying it?

--

First I don't take myself or my cars too seriously.  With entertainment the objective,  I don't view this particular iteration of the GT3 to be restricted to the track.  I envision a weekend only  "walter mitty" racecar experience to and from weekend rounds, ocean side drives, and the very occasional track outings w/ friends.  If after a few years the car doesn't suit my needs so be it. Beyond wanting to experience the car I have no other justification.

--

If the sport bucket in 991 GT3 is the same as it was in the 997.2, then it is impossible to adjust the seat height, except by fitting custom cushions.

Best, w

Like this one

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764313 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436495 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261034 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257960 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82633 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5329 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876857 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808899 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM