Re: geneva Auto Show Random Pics

Lambo, crazy over the topDSC02056.JPG

DSC02057.JPG

WOW! Future is here angel

--

Monsters! Makes me appreciate Singer....

Before and afterDSC02046.JPG the unveiling...1362942653732DSC02038.JPG

BerlinettaDSC02094.JPGDSC02031.JPGrlin

AMG A SeriesDSC02028.JPGDSC02027.JPGDSC02029.JPGs

A few of GT3DSC02063.JPGDSC02076.JPGDSC02078.JPGDSC02072.JPG and Cup..

Typical Show Floor1362943429209DSC02086.JPG

High Tea at Hotel d'Angleterre...IMG_0169.jpg Tea at 

Thanks a lot for these first hand pics. Can't help me but would prefer the GT3 over most of the others.
    Hope you'd a good time.
    --

Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW Grand Coupe 650i xDrive

I have to say the GT3 looks the most boring in this list! Even the new A-Class AMG looks kind of more "modern" yes Not that I dont like the GT3.... but it's just not rocking after seeing this list of ultra-modern car design!

Thanks . I had also a close look at all of these at the show. I was impressed by the class A AMG, specially after looking at the specs

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

P1 looks luscious, much better than LaFerrari imo.
    Thanks for the pictures wink and love the GT3.

Re: Geneva Auto Show Random Pics

Thank you for the nice photos. Smiley Keep em coming. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Re: Geneva Auto Show Random Pics

that Lambo is an abomination of the worst kind

Lars997:

I have to say the GT3 looks the most boring in this list! Even the new A-Class AMG looks kind of more "modern" yes Not that I dont like the GT3.... but it's just not rocking after seeing this list of ultra-modern car design!

The A-class looks fantastic if you are 20-25 and aspiring to your first proper car. What the English call a "boy racer" car.

IMO the GT3 is an unpretentious car for the mature  "kenner" Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

I've noticed how the rear wheel on LaFerrari looks a tad small on some profile pictures. maybe they should've made the rear wheel an inch bigger than the front one to make the look a little more proportionate given that the rear of the car is bigger than the front. 

I spent two press days at the Show, and have the following impressions:

1.  The McLaren P1 was the star for me--sleek, well proportioned, powerful, well conceived and executed.  I much preferred it to the LeFerrari and certainly to the Lambo. I was able to attend some special events with the designers and test drivers, and this car has impressive F`1 credentials.  McLaren is no "fly by night" manufacturer and now has two splendid cars on the market.  Downsides?  Less than half of the 375 P1s have been ordered (as contrasted to the LeFerrari which is over subscribed) and undersubscription will be a severe financial blow.  Also, the cockpit is extremely tight--even confining--and could be irritating on even middle distance trips.  But this is one very serious and beautiful performance machine.

2.  The Porsche press conference was disappointing and without much emotion.  Muller seemed half interested, and frankly the GT3 does not show well in white (my personal view of course).  The LeFerrari press conference had at least five times as many people and ten times more excitement.  I certainly understand that Ferrari has a different style and a different market, but Porsche could inject more excitement and enthusiasm into its presentations.  In such an exotic show context, Porsche should have had the 918 on display, at least.  And a personal bias of mine is that Porsche should have more women in its upper management and presentations.  Not the leggy model type show girl in cars approach, just professional women with creativity and talent.

3.  Was the GT3 (and even Porsche) boring in this show context, with such fabulous exotics like the McLaren, Ferrari and others?  Yes and no.  Yes because McLaren and Ferrari presented stunning high performance automobiles, certainly not fanciful fragile designs.  By contrast, the Porsche stand seemed conservative, even dull.  The 918 has serious competition in this lofty realm, and the 960 (assuming it will be built) better be darn good.  But then no it was not dull when you consider that the GT3 and other Porsches are about 1/8th the cost of the McLaren and Ferrari, and are designed to be the best performance package in an extremely usable car.  And I admit that after two days at the show, I returned back to the Porsche stand and the GT3 and other models there seemed attractive and refreshing.  The stand was crowded with lots of curious admirers, and I felt both proud and relieved.  

More later.. 

Lars997:

Lars,

that is an interesting proposition... but seriously? The A-class, that used to trip over when any four-legged animal would appear on the street is now supposed to be the main rival for the BMW 1-series? And to underline that message, they place a hideous wing on the roof joined by some aftermarket rims with fake center lock bolts? Hm...

The GT3, in my personal opinion, is perfectly designed to encourage existing customers to upgrade while still retaining the coherence with the previous generation. I even find it to be more aggressively styled than its predecessor... and Porsche was seldom about flashy styling.

This is the comment of Daniel Simon about the Lamborghini Ve... Vo... Vhatever...

Lets take the magic of the name "Lamborghini" out of the equation and lets look at the 'Veneno' super car with neutral eyes, as you would find it in a design book. I find that a brand with such high value is responsible to promote sophistication to the public, and not encourage - or for that matter 'legalize' - outrageous surfacing to young designers.

860598_618762524806480_1823062456_o.jpg

Wonderbar:

I spent two press days at the Show, and have the following impressions:

1.  The McLaren P1 was the star for me--sleek, well proportioned, powerful, well conceived and executed.  I much preferred it to the LeFerrari and certainly to the Lambo. I was able to attend some special events with the designers and test drivers, and this car has impressive F`1 credentials.  McLaren is no "fly by night" manufacturer and now has two splendid cars on the market.  Downsides?  Less than half of the 375 P1s have been ordered (as contrasted to the LeFerrari which is over subscribed) and undersubscription will be a severe financial blow.  Also, the cockpit is extremely tight--even confining--and could be irritating on even middle distance trips.  But this is one very serious and beautiful performance machine.

[...]

3.  Was the GT3 (and even Porsche) boring in this show context, with such fabulous exotics like the McLaren, Ferrari and others?  Yes and no.  Yes because McLaren and Ferrari presented stunning high performance automobiles, certainly not fanciful fragile designs.  By contrast, the Porsche stand seemed conservative, even dull.  The 918 has serious competition in this lofty realm, and the 960 (assuming it will be built) better be darn good.  But then no it was not dull when you consider that the GT3 and other Porsches are about 1/8th the cost of the McLaren and Ferrari, and are designed to be the best performance package in an extremely usable car.  

Wonderbar,

thanks for sharing the pictures and your impressions. You obviously enjoyed the culinary aspects of Geneve as well. Smiley

I entirely agree with you, the car to compare to from Porsche´s lineup would have to be the 918 and it does have some steep competition with the P1 and LaFerrari.

Wonderbar, thanks for your captures! Very nice!

Whats interesting, from your photos, laferrari looks worse than from site shots. Also there is a very strange exhaust, outer tubes seems to be closed and internal tubes are somewhat don't fit exhaust caps. 

--

sportcars-history.com

Wonderbar thank you for sharing your photos!

I can`t believe Lamborghini designed and manufactured that thing. Imho it`s all time low designwise for Lamborghini. Maybe Lambo plans product placement in the next Transformers sequel. The Sesto Elemento concept was much nicer and purposeful.

--

911 Club Coupe, 993 4S Riviera Blau, 12' Audi S4 Avant

Some more thoughts:

1.  I got the distinct impression that the 960 is not at all a certainty.  All my trusted sources are very vague, even discouraging.  Relatedly, the 918 is far from being fully subscribed, which may have an influence on its baby brother.  Personally, I would love to see the 960, which would "open up" Porsche design and extend the wonderful lines of the 904 GTS. But I would also like to see a more powerful Panamera concept--not the sport tourismo--but a competitor to the Ferrari Berlinetta. I think there is just as good a market for a powerful sport sedan as there is for a "458 competitor" like the 960.  Like RC said in another post, the Panamera Turbo S could easily handle 600 plus HP.

2.  The 918, P1 and LaFerrari approach hybrid technology differently.  The 918 system is a race/roadcar with a hybrid system that provides benefits for both uses.  The McLaren system is distinctly to add performance to a virtual race car for the road.  The Ferrari hybrid system is a management add-on, barely able to move the car out of the parking lot.

3.  The Ferrari mystique is amazing, almost magical.  I doubt if there was one person--among the hundreds and hundreds of gawkers at the press events--that could afford or qualify to buy the LaFerrari.  Yet the thrill was there, and Ferrari could produce a seven legged toad and still have it oversubscribed.  

More later..

Very good analysis. Ferrari knows how to sell emotions, unfortunately much better than the "cooler" German counterpart Porsche. By "cooler", I don't mean cool in the sense of hip or in but in the sense of less emotional, which is a pity. Look at the new GT3: The press information was almost perfect, perfect photos, perfect data, perfect video but everything looks and feels sterile somehow. Nothing creates the desire in me to really want the GT3. I actually enjoyed Preuninger's interview with EVO a lot, he was actually more convincing than any press information I read or saw so far about the GT3. Preuninger says he is not marketing but if I would lead the marketing department, I would really do some professional videos with him, describing the development of the GT3 and even putting him behind the steering wheel, co-host being Walter Röhrl, to show off what the new GT3 is capable off.

Sorry, Porsche but if you want to create emotions, you have to do more...

Kind of the same problem Apple has now with their current advertisement (which in my opinion sucks).

Regarding the LaFerrari (what a stupid name, sorry): Interesting concept but I don't feel anything looking at this car, I'm sorry. I'm more convinced with the F12, which in my opinion is an amazing offer from Ferrari. 

I am not surprised that the 918 seems to have some issues finding enough buyers: In my opinion, Porsche started the presentation of the 918 way too early and even now, nobody seems to know the final specs, including the very important performance specs. The price tag is also on the extreme side for a Porsche because Porsche kind of lost the attraction of a very unique car brand, especially since the Cayenne/Panamera are around and since VW took over. This had a huge psychological impact on buyers and the 918 is no bargain.

It would be sad to see the "960" die before it actually sees the world but on the other hand, I think that right now, a Panamera Coupe (whatever they would call it), makes more sense from a financial point of view. There are many customers who want a Coupe but need more rear room (passengers, luggage). Not really seeing that many customers for a 250k EUR mid engined (maybe sharing a platform with the next R8/Gallardo generations?)  Porsche. Difficult decision for Porsche.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Regarding Porsche's "clinical" marketing and approach, i have to constantly remind myself that Porsche produces, manages and markets at least sixteen different models.  McLaren markets two (P1 and MP4 12C), and Ferrari five (FF, California, 458, Berlinetta and La Ferrari).  That difference is HUGE, and requires numerous different marketing schemes which must "sell" models with characteristics that are often quite simllar (an S versus a non-S, for example).  On top of all of this is the brand of German engineering and daily practicality, which I think is tremendously important.

So one can understandably "forgive" Porsche for being precise and lacking "emotion".   But that overall image also presents a marketing opportunity by contrasting cool precision with stunning design, innovation and performance.  And that is why the 918 and the CarreraGT are so important.  Important for their design, their leading hybrid performance, and their unsurpassed racing heritage.  

And onto my bias that Porsche needs more women at the top and throughout, there is little doubt that part of Ferrari's appeal is its sexiness.  The designs have sex appeal, and like it or not sex sells.  Reds, yellows, sensuous curves--these evoke emotion and sensuality.  The Porsche stand was populated by men in conservative suits, the Ferrari stand was awash with beautiful women in evocative clothes.  I don't want to overdo this comparison, but there is something a bit out of balance at Porsche if the only feminine appealing car is the Boxster.  

Thanks Wonderbar for your wonderful insight and pictures of the GASwink

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688516 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408689 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255520 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234773 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65388 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857566 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773352 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM