Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 911 GT3 (991)

As for the above Porsche said

Gt3 is a street car that can do track

GT3 RS is track car that can do street

KresoF1:

If you want I can tell you that 991 Turbo will do 9.5s in Auto Zeitung(and it probably will do). Turbo S will be faster, expect something like 9.0s or 8.8s in some optimistic tests.

BTW, do you know why is new GT3 that fast( 11.4s for 0-200km/h)? New PDK gearing with 7th used as power gear.

Now, let me give you some potential hints... Will Porsche build something like 991 GT2, with 610ps and PDK with 7th gear as power gear? If then do it(and I doubt) this car will be fast as hell.

The Turbo and GT2 won't benefit nearly as much as the GT3 from the close ratio gearing (GT3 has needed this change badly for years), due to the Much greater torque curve down low.  However, they will benefit hugely from PDK's quick up shifting to keep from losing boost on each gear change.  IMO,  6 well chosen gears is enough for the turbo motors (while GT3 would be even better with 8, but I'm not complaining about 7 indecision).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

When will we get to hear about the reviews and test drives ?

Got an email yesterday from my dealer about my GTS build is complete! Crap! Was hoping to change my order to GT3 heart

Atzporsche:

Wow so much critisicm. I have to say that some are really negative. I don't think the first gen GT3 was more hardcore than the new 991 version.. Porsche has made sure its still pure and looks like the cup car. And really if its as fast as the GT3 RS 4.0 than that is amazing and should silence virtually everyone. I will say this, many critics will be silenced once they drive it. I trust the Porsche engineers on this one but I also realize Porsche has reduced costs and maximized their audience at the same time.

Yes you are spot on with this. However, at least in the UK, there is no such thing as a GT3 test drive. If you want one you buy it, there have never been any dealer demo cars for the GT3. So you have to buy based on the marketing and press reviews. 

boytronic:
    GTlover:
    boytronic:

What is the issue with Centre Locks?

I thought Porsche resolved this by issuing a recall and replacing the defective items (of course subject to correct maintenance schedule) and since then there have been no reported failures?

Please correct me if I am wrong as I would like to confirm the issue is resolved. Thanks...

Hi boytronic,

look 3 pages back..911rox listet the dilemma..solved..nothing is solved..these things are becoming a nightmare..I think from now on for the rest of my life I have to save every year another 1500€ extra just to keep me beloved centre looking car still in a postion to "roll"..Smiley

Thanks I missed 911Rox's post in this fast moving thread!

So if I bought a 3.8 RS and did around 21000km per year of hard mixing driving (street plus a some amateur track days) I would have to pay to change the CL assembly THREE times in one year? And I guess therefore CLs (post recall) are not covered under warranty and hence what we call a 'wear and tear' / consumable item like brakes and tyres?

As of three months ago (and 3 years after the launch of the GT3) Porsche now require customers to keepa log book of their track kms and to timeout or replace at their own cost the following:

- every 7000kms- rear hubs, bearings and bolts (7-10hrs labour)

- every 14000kms- front hubs, bearings and bolts (7-10 hrs labour) - (don't forget to repeat rears above)

- every second hub change, the complete upright assembly has to be replaced also

So in your hypothetical case, if half those kms were track, you would have had to replace the rears once and you'd be well on your way to the time where both are needing to be replaced once 14000km of that was track.. Make sense?

How did Porsche fix CL??? They didn't, they wrote a supplemental manual that they are currently sending to customers, asking them to replace all of the above every few thousand kms because they can't be jacked re-engineering and recalling cars to resolve the issue with parts that don't fail. Therefore they don't incur the cost of their error and they make tens of thousands of dollars in parts and labour off customers... WIN, WIN- for Porsche that is....Smiley

991 GT3 still sounding like a great a great idea? If you think its an over exaggeration, research on some forums where they actually use their cars on the track as intended and see what the owners think about CLs and Porsche's handling of the situation...

boytronic:
    Gnil:
    RC:
    savvy:

Bottom line:

The Porsche Marketing Machine will spew any lie and cannot and should not ever be trusted. RC is adamant to make that point. Prospects and buyers are just plain stupid to believe or be strongly influenced by the marketing videos, materials verbiage and the image that is cultivated and portrayed. As RC says, the street car must not be tracked, and is only for Cars n Coffee events. Porsche is a propaganda machine first and a car company second. That was driven home quite quickly as I noted all the 996.xx prefix parts in my '10 and '11 cars. When one achieves this moment of clarity, it is quite painful because you realize just how badly you got sexual intercoursed by The Porsche Marketing Machine.

The new GT3 is a great sporty cruiser, it is not intended for track use and will immediately lose its warranty after such use, and if you do track it the cost of the consumables will make a grown man cry ($900 ea rear tires for example). Those of us who are serious tracking enthusiasts (not "racers", please) have many very fine choices for our track use. I know I made my choices.

Well...I wouldn't call them liars, this is how marketing works and may I ask a stupid question: Has it ever been much different?! This is valid for all car manufacturers in my opinion.

and to fuel up a little bit this discussion, this is taken from what Porsche officially states about the GT3 991 :

The exterior leaves no doubt about what the 911 GT3 was conceived for: the race circuit. 

So lets get this right. Porsche advertise the GT3 as being conceived for the race circuit NOT for the STREET, however, if you take the car on a race circuit and a component fails your warranty claim will be void because track racing is not covered. Is this correct?

To clarify we are NOT talking about RACE cars here. 

This is a grey area and in some countries they seem to be more leniant... If you suffer a mechanical failure or gearbox failure in the current cars and according to your EMS there were no major over-revs (ie money shifts) or abuse of the equipment, they usually cover the repair... To date, all wheel hub failures have been met with a sorry, you were on the race track, we don't want to know... In most cases this was guys on the earlier, weaker hubs I mentioned where clearly it was Porsche's fault and more importantly, the maintenance schedule that is now being put in place gradually, did not exist to guide people...

Porsche under- engineered and under-estimated their system, put customers lives at risk, forced youtube to remove videos to stop their disgrace from being witnessed, left customers with totalled cars at best and injured at worst and now they've passed the buck... I will never be buying anything from Porsche that has CLs on it or unproven components moving forward because I've now experienced first hand how they address problems of their making!

KresoF1:
    artur777:
    KresoF1:

If you want I can tell you that 991 Turbo will do 9.5s in Auto Zeitung(and it probably will do). Turbo S will be faster, expect something like 9.0s or 8.8s in some optimistic tests.

BTW, do you know why is new GT3 that fast(below 12.0s for 0-200km/h)? New PDK gearing with 7th used as power gear.

Now, let me give you some potential hints... Will Porsche build something like 991 GT2, with 610ps and PDK with 7th gear as power gear? If then do it(and I doubt) this car will be fast as hell.

Kreso F1,

Thanks! 8.8s is a great figure! But very ambitious as well. Does Porsche needs to develop new engine to maintain such acceleration loads?

will 991 turbo have 7th gear for accelerating?

and gt2with 600+hp and pdk will be a very-very fast car!!! But the traction! Will it be based on gt3 or turbo engine?)

IF Porsche decides to build 991 GT2 traction wont be an issue.

AFAIK base 991 Turbo will be standard PDK gear ratios-same as on Carrera models. Turbo S may use different gearing...Smiley

BTW, 475ps is the lowest figure for new GT3 engine. Accoring to my source new GT3 engine actually produces more power...Smiley

GT3 reached Turbo territory in terms of acceleration! New Turbo should be very very smart car to make a new horizont

Regarding 991 GT2 - I hope we see it) 

RC:
    m4ever:
    911 were miles ahead in the seventies in reliability compared to their competition of that time (read Ferraris, Maserati etc). Remember race on Sunday sell on Monday?

According to German TÜV findings, they still are, especially cars which are older than one year.

Actually, reliability shouldn't be an issue anymore nowadays. The reason is simple: Most manufacturers get the parts from the same suppliers.

Actually, it's thanks to computer models and computer simulations (Finite Elements Analysis, Dynamic Simulations, etc.)  Also, better materials and understanding thereof...

SimpleSkin:
    Pentium:

The 4 seats GT3 is called 911 GTS these days... no wing, 4 seats and a better engine...

Porsche is just trying to place each product better. C2S -> C4S -> GTS -> GT3 -> GT3RS -> etc...

Personally I don't see the C4S as a better car than the C2S but an alternative for some folks. I much prefer my C2S to any C4 because it's the "traditional" 911 layout.

No offense Smiley

I agree with you. I would save the 7000 EUR extra that AWD costs and use it towards getting the Powerkit.

I would never get a C4S. Even if I lived in the snow belt, I would use a proper 4x4 during the winter days.

--

"Form follows function"

I was not talking on how we see it but how Porsche is placing their products, money wise, as a response to the people that requested no wing and added rear seats on a GT3. I believe Porsche wants to sell to that customer a GTS instead, option that was not available in the past. So no more four seats in the GT3.

--

There is no try. Just do.

On the personal C2 vs C4 debate: my 997 was a C2. My 991 is a C4 (and I thought about that decision for a loooooong time). I do not regret getting the C4 though (much to my surprise). It suits the character of the 991 better. On a 997 I would agree with you guys though.

On winter time: I drove the 997 C2 for five winters. It took a lot of focus and energy. I was younger and I loved that experience. Not anymore though. I am much more relaxed in the 991 C4S I have. I also own an SUV. However, it is MUCH nicer to drive the 991 in winter time with the exception of maybe ten days a year with really heavy snow. To me, the 991C4S winter experience is a nice compromise to have between driving an SUV and driving the 997 C2.

--

There is no try. Just do.

RC:
    nizer:

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

But the new 991 GT3 engine will be used in racing..so where is the problem?

Really?  Don't hold your breath.

I know it. Smiley Don't know about PDK though.

You are correct in relation to the engine. It will be raced.

I will say this again: Automatic gearboxes (of any type) are forbidden under the current ACO/FiA rules for GTE cars.

Here is the rule:

Drive train
    9.2.1  Are prohibited:
    a/  Four wheel drive;
    b/ Automatic or semi-automatic gearboxes and differentials
    with electronic, pneumatic or hydraulic control, etc;
    9.2.2  Are only permitted:
    a/ Mechanical limited slip differentials working without the help
    of a hydraulic or electric system.
    A visco-coupling system is not considered as a hydraulic slip
    control device provided that no control is possible when the
    car is running.
    b/ Traction control that operates solely through the engine
    control unit (ECU). Wheel speed sensors are permitted;
    c/ A direct mechanical linkage (rod, cable) between the gear
    shift lever operated by the driver and the gear-box.
    If the car is fitted with a system without mechanical link, it
    must be in compliance with Article 9.2.6. below;
    d/ A simple open-loop electrical switch activated directly by the
    gear shift lever and acting on the ignition system of the
    engine.
    9.2.3 Provided original location and orientation are retained
    (Homologation Form), the gearbox is free;
    c/ Possible modifications of the underbody are permitted to fit
    the gearbox and the differential but only with the
    Homologation Group agreement and under the express
    condition that they do no not modify too much:
    c1 The integrity of the main structure ;
    c2  The cockpit inside measurements.

Grant: IMO,  6 well chosen gears is enough for the turbo motors (while GT3 would be even better with 8, but I'm not complaining about 7 indecision).

Only 7, BMW autos have had 8 for a while now and Land Rover just updated the little Evoque with 9 gears.....

Who'll be first to 10 I wonder....?

911rox:
    boytronic:
    GTlover:
    boytronic:

I thought Porsche resolved this by issuing a recall and replacing the defective items (of course subject to correct maintenance schedule) and since then there have been no reported failures?

Please correct me if I am wrong as I would like to confirm the issue is resolved. Thanks...

Hi boytronic,

look 3 pages back..911rox listet the dilemma..solved..nothing is solved..these things are becoming a nightmare..I think from now on for the rest of my life I have to save every year another 1500€ extra just to keep me beloved centre looking car still in a postion to "roll"..Smiley

So if I bought a 3.8 RS and did around 21000km per year of hard mixing driving (street plus a some amateur track days) I would have to pay to change the CL assembly THREE times in one year? And I guess therefore CLs (post recall) are not covered under warranty and hence what we call a 'wear and tear' / consumable item like brakes and tyres?

As of three months ago (and 3 years after the launch of the GT3) Porsche now require customers to keepa log book of their track kms and to timeout or replace at their own cost the following:

- every 14000kms- front hubs, bearings and bolts (7-10 hrs labour) - (don't forget to repeat rears above)

- every second hub change, the complete upright assembly has to be replaced also

So in your hypothetical case, if half those kms were track, you would have had to replace the rears once and you'd be well on your way to the time where both are needing to be replaced once 14000km of that was track.. Make sense?

How did Porsche fix CL??? They didn't, they wrote a supplemental manual that they are currently sending to customers, asking them to replace all of the above every few thousand kms because they can't be jacked re-engineering and recalling cars to resolve the issue with parts that don't fail. Therefore they don't incur the cost of their error and they make tens of thousands of dollars in parts and labour off customers... WIN, WIN- for Porsche that is....Smiley

991 GT3 still sounding like a great a great idea? If you think its an over exaggeration, research on some forums where they actually use their cars on the track as intended and see what the owners think about CLs and Porsche's handling of the situation...

Thanks for the explanation 911Rox. 

If Ferrari took this approach, and told customers to pay for CL maintenance, I am sure the customers would not tolerate it. Perhaps Ferrari customers have a higher expectation...?

Porsche in Geneva 2013: Designing a new 911 GT3...

"Michael Mauer explains the philosophy that went into the creation of the new 911 GT3..."

Porsche in Geneva 2013: Designing a new 911 GT3 -- Video Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

boytronic:
    911rox:
    boytronic:
    GTlover:
    boytronic:

Hi boytronic,

Thanks for the explanation 911Rox. 

If Ferrari took this approach, and told customers to pay for CL maintenance, I am sure the customers would not tolerate it. Perhaps Ferrari customers have a higher expectation...?

My pleasure Smiley

Thankfully there are probably very few F drivers that flog their cars at the track so it is less likely that it would be a major problem... Hopefully Ferrari value their customers a little more than Porsche seem to currently...

I got that note yes. I'm not impressed. Changing hubs cost a fortune! This is bad news for regular trackday drivers. 

On a topic that is NOT centre lock wheels  indecision  am I correct that this GT3 is the first PDK Porsche to only offer paddles? A slow end to the buttons / puddles?  

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Does anyone know, what is the ground clearance of the GT3?

Boyko23:
    Does anyone know, what is the ground clearance of the GT3?

93mm ( centre of front axle, front underbody panelling )

This is exactly the same as 997 GT3 

And there is the front lifting option if you need more

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

artur777:
    RC:
    artur777:

Kreso F1.

pls comment what does mean "next 991 turbo s will be mind-blowing"

give me pls some hints. Because I have a tough choice - to buy new GT3 or wait for new Turbo S...

your hints may help a lot - thanks

Don't even go there. You can't compare both.

The new 991 Turbo (let alone the S) will be an acceleration monster with amazing traction. So if you are looking to win red light races, this is it, there shouldn't be anything better on the market when it will come out. Same goes to Autobahn performance, the 0-200 kph time should be around 10 seconds (for the regular Turbo).

If driving "as if you sit in a race car" is more of your style, then the GT3 is the right model. It is also the perfect track fun car because of the sportier chassis setup and lower weight. The GT3 has a more direct steering, the PDK is less comfortable but faster and the comfort is limited due to the harsher ride and of course the louder exhaust/engine note. People would say that the GT3 is more involving, it ticks your senses more than the Turbo but of course a skilled driver could be faster in the Turbo.

I really don't think you can compare both, two different toys.

Christian, thanks!

But 991 Turbo to become an acceleration monster should be faster than 10 secs for 0-200. 997.2 Turbo (S) in sone tests was about 10.5 secs for 0-200. Not that much improvement..  Or am I mistaken?

I was talking about the official specs.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

BiTurbo:

Got an email yesterday from my dealer about my GTS build is complete! Crap! Was hoping to change my order to GT3 heart

Not sure I get it??? What does a GTS have to do with the GT3? Even a 991 Carrera S with 20mm PASM and powerkit would be much sportier? I am confused. Smiley

--

911rox:

Porsche under- engineered and under-estimated their system, put customers lives at risk, forced youtube to remove videos to stop their disgrace from being witnessed, left customers with totalled cars at best and injured at worst and now they've passed the buck... I will never be buying anything from Porsche that has CLs on it or unproven components moving forward because I've now experienced first hand how they address problems of their making!

You are aware that Porsche is monitoring this forum?

Stupid question: Have you ever contacted Porsche Germany directly? Also, another stupid question: What do you expect them to do in the end? There is a simple solution here: Do not track race your car. I know that you don't like to hear that but you bought a street car, not a race car. Many other so called "sports cars" may not have the CL issue but they have other issues which make them almost unusable for the track, especially not for 50-60 laps.

I also hate to repeat myself but the whole track racing advertisement is marketing. I still think that Porsche cars are better suitable for track fun than most of the other so called sports cars on the market, with few exceptions but there is track driving and track racing. 50-60 laps surely isn't some harmless track fun but more serious stuff. Expensive hobby, I get it but if you drive 50-60 laps very hard, what about your tires and brake pads? What about your brake fluid? You get my point.

Right now, we are discussing the new GT3 here, not the CL issues of the older cars.

Feel free to open a new thread in the 997 section of the forum and you can discuss the CL issue as much as you want. I just think that this thread isn't the right thread for it. We get it...the CL issue is a serious issue for you and others but right now, I don't see how it affects the new GT3. Smiley

--

4trac:

On a topic that is NOT centre lock wheels  indecision  am I correct that this GT3 is the first PDK Porsche to only offer paddles? A slow end to the buttons / puddles?  

I hope so. I have buttons on my Panamera Turbo S, used them a couple of times, hated them and prefer the auto mode instead. I actually use the paddles on my Cayenne GTS from time to time, just for fun but I can't say I like how the auto tranny on the Cayenne reacts, especially upshifts are not really fast. So the only reason I actually use the manual mode is because I can somehow "control" the exhaust/engine sound by doing that. Smiley

So for me, no more buttons pleaseSmiley

--

Spyderidol:

I will say this again: Automatic gearboxes (of any type) are forbidden under the current ACO/FiA rules for GTE

It shouldn't be difficult to deactivate the auto mode but I'm not sure if the new improved PDK in the GT3 is really race proof, even with some mods. This really remains to be seen.

The engine however, will be used for racing, like you said, this is not a wish but a fact. Not sure however if Porsche will highly modify it or if only "minor" changes are necessary.

This is actually what worries me most when a new engine is presented: How reliable is it? Are there any quirks they haven't discovered yet? Right now, it helps only to hope that Porsche did it right.

--

RC:
    BiTurbo:

Not sure I get it??? What does a GTS have to do with the GT3? Even a 991 Carrera S with 20mm PASM and powerkit would be much sportier? I am confused. Smiley

I tried to cancel the GTS order but dealer said No! it's too late and car will show up in 2 to 3 weeks.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait for the Aventador facelift or maybe the SV versio, if there will be one ? Smiley

Still not getting it: What does the GTS have to do with the GT3? If you wanted a 911 in the first place, you could have gotten the 991 Carrera S with Powerkit. Which brings me to the conclusion that you don't know what you want? yes The GT3 is a toy, a weekend car, a car for fun moments, not really suitable as a daily driver (unless you live in a region with lots of sunshine and good streets). The GTS is the exact opposite. Sorry but I don't get it. Why did you order the GTS in the first place? Smiley

Btw: If you don't want the GTS, just talk to your dealer, there are always possibilities if you want a different car from him.

--

RC:
    ^

Stupid question: Have you ever contacted Porsche Germany directly? Also, another stupid question: What do you expect them to do in the end? There is a simple solution here: Do not track race your car. I know that you don't like to hear that but you bought a street car, not a race car. Many other so called "sports cars" may not have the CL issue but they have other issues which make them almost unusable for the track, especially not for 50-60 laps.

I also hate to repeat myself but the whole track racing advertisement is marketing. I still think that Porsche cars are better suitable for track fun than most of the other so called sports cars on the market, with few exceptions but there is track driving and track racing. 50-60 laps surely isn't some harmless track fun but more serious stuff. Expensive hobby, I get it but if you drive 50-60 laps very hard, what about your tires and brake pads? What about your brake fluid? You get my point.

Right now, we are discussing the new GT3 here, not the CL issues of the older cars.

Feel free to open a new thread in the 997 section of the forum and you can discuss the CL issue as much as you want. I just think that this thread isn't the right thread for it. We get it...the CL issue is a serious issue for you and others but right now, I don't see how it affects the new GT3. Smiley

RC : This is what Porsche writes about the GT3 ( 991 ) . This comes directly from them  and it clearly states that is car in meant for track :

''The exterior leaves no doubt about what the 911 GT3 was conceived for: the race circuit. The most striking feature of the new 911 GT3 is the fixed rear wing, which can be adjusted indi- vidually for use on race circuits and is unique amongst the competition. It not only emphasises the 911 GT3’s title as

a racing-oriented road vehicle. In combination with the front spoiler and the downforce-oriented aerodynamics, the new 911 GT3 provides good conditions for performance-oriented use on the race circuit and excellent driving stability at high speeds. ''

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

911rox:

Porsche forced youtube to remove videos to stop their disgrace from being witnessed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oboxnQwEg4

Just to keep the record straight, nobody removed anything from Youtube!

Been a long time since I messed with Photoshop, but the GT3 made me want to again.

1362860920010gulf.jpg 06Mint.jpg

1362863954808normal2.jpg

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688736 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408786 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255563 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234818 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65406 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857653 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773515 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM