Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Ferrari 458 crashes on public highway

Doesn't this car have electronics to stop these kind of things to happen?

--
    Porsche and other cars video collection

Re: Ferrari 458 crashes on public highway

Nothing that controls dumb and erratic sterring response.  This was a POOR driver.  Look at how timid he was merging onto the highway - very dangerous to just creep like that.  Then he/she did the opposite and accelerated too quickly while changing lanes - one little slide and the driver steered into the crash.  Some people should not drive.  The rain was not that heavy, any driver with decent tires (and I bet these tires were new) could handle this car with half a brain.

Quite typical actually. Ferrari is known for having less than good traction control system, something certain people think is a plus for them as they can do hooligan slides, but that ability is also very dangerous in the wrong hands. 

I don't think the driver had turned off traction control so can't blame that.

Modern electronics can't fix stupid. He turned against the skid instead of into it and the car rotated. He compounded the problem by hitting the brakes to keep from going into the rear of the camera car, which in turn unweighted the rear and induced text book off throttle snap oversteer.

As crazy as it sounds, he might not have planted it into the wall if he would have cut the wheel to lock and nailed the gas. It may have just made the car break traction and spinout in the middle of the road (think of how NASCAR and F1 Drivers recover from a mid-spin)  instead of vectoring him into the guardrail.

In a Turbo, there would have been no drama, power would have been routed to the front immediately and pulled the car straight and passed the camera in no time.

In the McLaren, there would have been no drama either as the world class F1-grade traction control would have reined in the wheel spin and recover the car posture and pass the camera car no problem. 

Hahaha so stupid and embarrassing because It was filmed.. He made 4-5 mistakes in a split second = total crash! 

That won't buff right out lol

Heist:

Modern electronics can't fix stupid. He turned against the skid instead of into it and the car rotated. He compounded the problem by hitting the brakes to keep from going into the rear of the camera car, which in turn unweighted the rear and induced text book off throttle snap oversteer.

As crazy as it sounds, he might not have planted it into the wall if he would have cut the wheel to lock and nailed the gas. It may have just made the car break traction and spinout in the middle of the road (think of how NASCAR and F1 Drivers recover from a mid-spin)  instead of vectoring him into the guardrail.

I think he was driving in RACE mode and he was a beginner (beginning of video clearly indicates a lot of insecurity). Many amateurs actually make a similar mistake: They turn off ESP and/or switch to a sportier mapping, probably thinking that this makes them faster or manlier or whatever. Smiley

When I had my 997 Turbo for only a couple of weeks, I remember that I was driving around with PSM turned off. No problem so far, I am used to it. At some point, I forgot about it and I stopped at a major street to make a 90° left turn. I accelerated only with half throttle (would have been OK with PSM turned on) and the car made a 180° turn. In a split second. Since that time, I always check on my ESP status and I am very careful driving in "Sport Plus" mode (Panamera Turbo S) on public streets. A lesson learned. The 996 Turbo I owned before actually had a more neutral AWD setup, this is why I made this stupid mistake with the 997 Turbo.

On a RWD car, like the 458, driving in RACE mode and then doing what the 458 driver did is plain stupid. I suppose the street was a little bit slippery too (temperature, dirt, slightly wet, whatever) and it happened what had to happen.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

What a sad way to destroy such car. I also think that the driver might have been not very experienced judging by the hesitating way in merging into the highway. Btw,the italian comments were funny, apparently the guy who was filming was the son and his mother was driving ,typical italian drama (exaggerated by the crash of the national pride).

--

911 Club Coupe, 993 4S Riviera Blau, 12' Audi S4 Avant

Whoopsy:

Quite typical actually. Ferrari is known for having less than good traction control system, something certain people think is a plus for them as they can do hooligan slides, but that ability is also very dangerous in the wrong hands. 

Where did you get that from? Ferrari has top notch elecontrics. If the car was in the WET setting this wouldn't have happened. He either had it in RACE or most probably in ESC OFF. Then only god, or Alonso's reactions can save the day...

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

It was a crappy driver - no amount of traction control can take the wheel out of a fools hands.

Watch how the driver could not even merge into traffic.  No confidence and no skill once the car started to spin.

Don't think the camera car was in any way part of it.  Just a car lover taking a video and catching a stupid act.

There is no doubt that the driver was crappy. But turning the electronics off, even partially, in such weather conditions in a 458 is like begging for trouble!

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Leawood911:

It was a crappy driver - no amount of traction control can take the wheel out of a fools hands.

Watch how the driver could not even merge into traffic.  No confidence and no skill once the car started to spin.

Don't think the camera car was in any way part of it.  Just a car lover taking a video and catching a stupid act.

Maybe the Ferrari driver felt distracted (and/or annoyed, he wanted to pass the "camera car" as fast as possible), sad.

I hate seeing nice cars crash (I know there are some nut jobs on the internet who actually enjoy that, judging by the comments), this makes me really sad.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Whoopsy:

In WET and SPORT mode, the traction control intervanes too quickly and cuts the power first, then brakes the slipping tire. In RACE mode, on lower speeds, like the one we saw in the video, traction control still works but gives more room. It intervanes after certain slip angle which can be too late for unexperienced drivers on wet roads.

I had experienced same kind of slippage in the wet, just going around 100-110 km/h in RACE mode, and the traction control cuts in too late. If I didn't have necessary reflex and experience, I may lost it, too.

Furthermore, even in TC OFF mode, ESP intervanes noticeable. So I think the system is just OK. 

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

REALZEUS:
    Whoopsy:

Where did you get that from? Ferrari has top notch elecontrics. If the car was in the WET setting this wouldn't have happened. He either had it in RACE or most probably in ESC OFF. Then only god, or Alonso's reactions can save the day...

I assumed that idiot would not turn off traction control in the rain, perhaps I am wrong on that part.

As for the actually Ferrari traction control effectiveness, I can see it's performance almost daily.

One of my neighbour has a 458, we heads out the door almost the same time every day. At the end of the street there is a stop sign to merge onto the main road and it's a on a slight incline. It's a perfect test for car launches, especially when it's raining, which we had a lot lately. With my Turbo S I just boot the go pedal and the car just rockets off, no drama. With the McLaren I do the same thing and while I know the traction control is working really hard I barely noticed it intervene, the car just rockets off smoothly. Sometimes I am in front of the 458, sometimes I am behind him at the stop sign so I can see how it launches on the same surface. He ranges from spinning the rear wheels without leaving the stop sign to major stuttering in his acceleration progress, so I know he is experimenting with the traction control settings but I have never once seen him leaving the line cleanly. I know he is extremely pissed every time he sees me, I will either leave him way way behind or I will catch up and pass him before the straight ends, and it doesn't matter which car I drove.  This is like my daily amusement. 

Not sure which car he can buy to reverse the score, but I know he just took delivery of a California. Maybe he will get a LaFerrari and try again.

Whatever the cause, as we are all rather experienced drivers here, we all know that wet roads + painted road stripes = near ice like traction level. Accelerate on this and nothing good will come of it irrespective of what driving mode you're in.

Whoopsy:
    REALZEUS:
    Whoopsy:

I assumed that idiot would not turn off traction control in the rain, perhaps I am wrong on that part.

As for the actually Ferrari traction control effectiveness, I can see it's performance almost daily.

One of my neighbour has a 458, we heads out the door almost the same time every day. At the end of the street there is a stop sign to merge onto the main road and it's a on a slight incline. It's a perfect test for car launches, especially when it's raining, which we had a lot lately. With my Turbo S I just boot the go pedal and the car just rockets off, no drama. With the McLaren I do the same thing and while I know the traction control is working really hard I barely noticed it intervene, the car just rockets off smoothly. Sometimes I am in front of the 458, sometimes I am behind him at the stop sign so I can see how it launches on the same surface. He ranges from spinning the rear wheels without leaving the stop sign to major stuttering in his acceleration progress, so I know he is experimenting with the traction control settings but I have never once seen him leaving the line cleanly. I know he is extremely pissed every time he sees me, I will either leave him way way behind or I will catch up and pass him before the straight ends, and it doesn't matter which car I drove.  This is like my daily amusement. 

Not sure which car he can buy to reverse the score, but I know he just took delivery of a California. Maybe he will get a LaFerrari and try again.

Of course my friend you realise that what you are describing has not much to do with the car itself, rather the setting and the driving ability. Perhaps you should give your neighbour a tip or two about driving. Smiley

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Sell the Ferrari and buy a superior Porsche or a McLaren? 

There is what, 4 TC settings on the Ferrari TC, can't be that hard to find the optimal throttle input for each settings, and he has that car for quite a while already too. Can't really find an excuse for him anymore. 

Maybe a classic gated manual shifter would have saved this car by keeping an inexperienced driver from attempting to drive it

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Grant:

Maybe a classic gated manual shifter would have saved this car by keeping an inexperienced driver from attempting to drive it

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

If the driver is inexperienced, not even awd can save him Smiley

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2221874/Female-student-19-killed-crashing-high-powered-Lamborghini-Abu-Dhabi.html

There will always be idiots in the world, modern electronics can only stretch physics so far..............................

more funny to get the comment of the Italian chap and his mom then to see the car crash. seems tio me that the road where a little bit slipery and that he put to quick on the gaz while he was steering to the left to take over.

--

997 GT3,Cayenne S, Cooper S & VW Cross Polo

Whoopsy:

Sell the Ferrari and buy a superior Porsche or a McLaren? 

There is what, 4 TC settings on the Ferrari TC, can't be that hard to find the optimal throttle input for each settings, and he has that car for quite a while already too. Can't really find an excuse for him anymore. 

5 settings to be exact. But I have seen worse than what you describe from supercar drivers... Smiley

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

I think you all are being too hard the driver. He was very close to the front car when he pressed on the throttle with a very wet pavement causing the car to lose traction. It is easy to do especially with a powerful car like a Ferrari which has a very light throttle. Based on the video, I am not sure any of us would have been able to avoid the collision with the guard rail.

This all happened in less than five seconds in a narrow space on very wet pavement. His only mistake was to try to pass with too much acceleration in wet conditions. Once he lost it, very few people if any would have been able to save the car. 

--

nberry:

I think you all are being too hard the driver. He was very close to the front car when he pressed on the throttle with a very wet pavement causing the car to lose traction. It is easy to do especially with a powerful car like a Ferrari which has a very light throttle. Based on the video, I am not sure any of us would have been able to avoid the collision with the guard rail.

This all happened in less than five seconds in a narrow space on very wet pavement. His only mistake was to try to pass with too much acceleration in wet conditions. Once he lost it, very few people if any would have been able to save the car. 

You are wrong. SmileySmiley

--

Yes, I know you in identical circumstances would have saved the car.SmileySmiley

--

I did

Was in an identical position.. you'd be amazed what proper use of pedals and steering can do in such situations.

I recommend going to an empty parking lot and practicing. I personally loved snow covered ones or better yet a full snow day at school when no one decides to take to the street due to severe snowfall.

I ran summer tires on my 318i this past winter in Germany angry I know stupid and even illegal but I am not a fan of electronics and people lived before all this nonsense started.

anyone know what they r saying in the vid?

dunno how anyone would turn off TC in such conditions in crowded city roads?

--

BMW 1 M + C63. 

nberry:

Yes, I know you in identical circumstances would have saved the car.SmileySmiley

No, I wouldn't have been that stupid in the first place (I never fully accelerate when there is heavy traffic around me, nor would I turn off ESP). Smiley

I won't comment on my driving skills, I think the people who know me personally know what I can and what I can't do. The anonymity of the internet surely allows people to exaggerate or even lie but so many people here know me personally and have driven "with" me or have seen me driving, so I guess lying is not an option for me. Smiley

--

No, I wouldn't have been that stupid in the first place (I never fully accelerate when there is heavy traffic around me, nor would I turn off ESP). Smiley

Exactly! kiss

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759533 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433701 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259725 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256859 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80574 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5304 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870648 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805635 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM