Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 911 GT3 (991)

Thanks!

What do you mean when you write market launch in November 2013. Take orders then?

--

I was told by my dealer's manager who spoke w/ PCNA (take all that for what it's worth) that US order guides would be available in  August and that GT3 build slots would be available in early September w/ deliver after the official launch in 11/13, or possibly 12/13.  I previously stated this but perhaps in less detail.  Naturally I stand to be corrected by others more informed her.  PCNA and I assume Porsche AG wants to know how many paid deposits presumably to adjust production numbers? I was specifically asked if I was interested or if I wanted to trade my car as a deposit.

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

The GT3 is becoming the ' sports road ' car now  and still a killer on the track. But it is more and more adapted to every day usage . 

This is precisely what attracted me to this car. In addition to its unique styling setting it apart from other Porsche's, it provides a modicum of daily comfort with the rawness to generate exciting driving. Great combination!

--

nberry:

Thanks!

What do you mean when you write market launch in November 2013. Take orders then?

That is when the dealers will unveil the car at there show rooms. So, delivery should be possible from there on.

DaveC seems to have good info.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

RC:
    wurlie:

Sport buckets are a fiberglass reinforced with carbon construction -  carbon overlay for cosmetic, not structural purposes.

The old, Carrera GT derived seats without airbags, were carbon constructed.

Best, w

Smiley

They are composite shells made up by using various woven materials, including carbon fibre weave, depending on the properties required locally in various parts of the shell to provide the necessary structural strength. The carbon "overlay", as you call it, is an integral part of that structure. It is not added purely for cosmetic purposes, and it most certainly is not  "pseudo carbon" cosmetic window dressing.

--

fritz

nberry:

Guy's thanks.

I cannot explain it but the GT3 struck a chord with me. As Christian wrote, this car will provide the fun factor which I have been missing since selling my last Ferrari. It is not a daily driver car but a car to take out when you just want to have a lot of driving excitement. I may even track it.

The only downside of the GT models is that they are most fun if driven quickly. This however results in speeds which are either illegal or dangerous on country roads... Track use is perfect though. And a Autobahn with nice bends as well Smiley

A convertible might also make a lot of sense in the US?

nberry:

Guy's thanks.

I cannot explain it but the GT3 struck a chord with me. As Christian wrote, this car will provide the fun factor which I have been missing since selling my last Ferrari. It is not a daily driver car but a car to take out when you just want to have a lot of driving excitement. I may even track it.

Nick, we have a saying here, "quien te ha visto y quien te vé"...  which roughly translates to " who has seen you in the past would have thought of seeing you how you are now". 10 years ago, we were having these back and forth conversations:

Quote:
    nberry said:The 997 will tank. Its only hope is if so few of them are bought they may have a certain exclusivity to them and people like me might consider buying one.

too funny, reminds me of the Monty Python's humor 

This when I broke my wrist at the track in the sportbike Smiley

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Hey Carlos we all learn from our mistakes. You exceeded the limits of your tires and I bought a Porsche. Sorry I could not resist. 

Quote:
    nberry said:The old Porsche 911 series has had its day. It is tired looking and frankly quite boring.

Yeah, the 996 model line-up was really a failure since its introduction, I'm surprised they didn't pull the plug on it shortly afterwards or even continuing after that horrible 993, I mean the 996's didn't sell at all over these years clearly indicating how people disliked the 911; the carrera's and TT's were boring to drive in the streets, the GT3's & GT2's were the laughing stock at the track, those rear seats are so impractical and their poor driveability in all types of roads and conditions made them garage queens, did I mention they are as unreliable and high maintenance as an italian sportcar? and at twice the price but without calling twice the attention you deserve for the pricetag. Yep, who cares anymore about the upcomming 997 or 998 after that... hope Porsche AG realises the 911 series has had its day before they invest anymore R&D on the next 911, it just doesn't grab enough attention or serves for making personal image statements, who cares about how they drive and feel, how they perform, how they are engineered, how practical or driveable in real life or how reliable sportcars are.

You are really entertaining Nick, thanks for the laugh 

And so year after year...

Anyway, good times Smiley Smiley ... and 10 years you put a deposit for a GT3???? Smiley does this mean we have to agree on Porsche related things now? what is Fritz and I going to do now? SmileySmiley

Many congrats Nick Smiley

--

Carlos from Spain:

Anyway, good times Smiley Smiley ... and 10 years you put a deposit for a GT3???? Smiley does this mean we have to agree on Porsche related things now? what is Fritz and I going to do now? SmileySmiley

The first thing that came to my mind when I read that Nick is ordering a GT3 was that old saying "There goes the neighbourhood!".   Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    Carlos from Spain:

The first thing that came to my mind when I read that Nick is ordering a GT3 was that old saying "There goes the neighbourhood!".   Smiley

SmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmiley

--

haha that's awesome lol. I was amazed Nick is going for the GT3 but then again it really shows that Porsche hit the nail on the head with this one.. I mean the last GT3 was very daily already, but this new one is just a little more AND it's still very emotional and fun.

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather (Canada)
    1991 BMW 318i Brilliantrot/Black Leather (Germany)

Ex: '89 525i, '74 280E, '87 325is, '86 325e, '05 FF, '85.5 944

I feel suddenly so sad... laugh (not getting the GT3).

This is life...tough life...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Gnil:
    nberry:

Finally, it is unclear to me as to when Porsche starts to take orders and produces the car. My salesperson indicated they have not received their allocations and Porsche is asking dealers for the number of paid deposits for the car.

Start of production is  :   07/2013

Market launch for the USA  is :   11/2013

Hi Gnil,

Thanks..start of production 07/2013..more or less what I said here before..- but what does that mean:

a) that Porsche doesnt have any 991 GT3s available for journalists until 07/2013?..means..first reviews will come in 08-09 /13..

or

b) does it mean that the first customer cars will be built in 07/13 (journalists would have tested the car already long before) so that first customer cars are arriving to showrooms in 07 and for customers in 08/2013..

I heard that only roughly 200 will be built first..in order to keep demand higher than supply..

Thanks,

nberry:

Guy's thanks.

Black high gloss wheels sound very interesting. Anyone have pictures with white exterior? The silver platinum wheels though great looking in design give the appearance of being dirty. 

Also, for the adaptive seats they want about $5500. Worth it?

Finally, it is unclear to me as to when Porsche starts to take orders and produces the car. My salesperson indicated they have not received their allocations and Porsche is asking dealers for the number of paid deposits for the car.

--

Nick, congratulations! I think it is a great choice! Enjoy it in the best of health!

Carlos, you missed your calling. Should have been a lawyer.Smiley

In my defense, I would not think of buying a 911 (My wife wanted the TT and 987) except for what the 991 GT3 is offering a car enthusiast like myself. As I wrote earlier, the GT3 looks different from other 911's. It also sounds different and they streamlined the wing to make it look more connected to the car. More importantly, they made the ride more compliant but preserved the rawness and the racing dynamics of the car with a push of the button. 

To me the car stands out from other Porsche's. Thus, my attraction.Smiley

Fritz, when you say there goes the neighborhood I could not agree more. I am afraid I may end up on a neighbors lawn as I exercise the sucker.Smiley

--

nberry:

Carlos, you missed your calling. Should have been a lawyer.Smiley

In my defense, I would not think of buying a 911 (My wife wanted the TT and 987) except for what the 991 GT3 is offering a car enthusiast like myself. As I wrote earlier, the GT3 looks different from other 911's. It also sounds different and they streamlined the wing to make it look more connected to the car. More importantly, they made the ride more compliant but preserved the rawness and the racing dynamics of the car with a push of the button. 

You don't need to convince me! The GT3 is my favorite car in the Porsche line up, always was, and with every generation even more so Smiley

Unfortunately for me, there are three things that are deal breakers for me; PSM, front clearance and rear seats. At the beginning (996) the GT3 had none of those but now we are up to 2/3 of the check list, though still no cigar.
    I would also need to consider if maintenance costs would be reasonable  for the type of use I would give it since what ever 911 I drive, it has to be a daily driver since I wouldnt want to drive anything else on a daily basis, and put over 20,000km a year on my 911's Smiley But I would love to use a GT3 for daily use!

Its an awsome car Nick, enjoy it!!SmileySmiley

--

GTlover & Gnil.

Very interesting data points on production of GT3. Here is the information I have from factory that may help. I understand that Porsche will be unable to confirm production slots and quotas until later in March. Production is indeed scheduled for July and these initial vehicles will likely be press demonstrators used for an official worldwide press release/road show in early September. No customer cars will be delivered before this time. Initially production was planned only for a few hundred units between July and end of October. This was in part due to part suppliers ramp up (as evidenced by some options not being available till week 36 and week 40) and also remembering that August is usually German holidays and the time when major "re-tooling" (these days largely "reprogramming" on the production line takes place. The initial 60-80 or so units produced in late July will likely be scratch built using a different production line suitable for low volume and with more manual interface. They will be a mix of LHD and RHD and give the factory teams a chance to learn the new proceedures. In late August/September we will see full scale production ramping up (MY2014). I believe (still in contention but indications from factory are now quite strong) that LHD production will commence proper during this period and we will see perhaps 140+ finished units shipped from Mid September as early delivery cars to European and Middle East customers. At this time it appears RHD production (ROW) will not commence until October for late October delivery (Medetteranian RHD) and November delivery release (UK). From October full scale production of LHD and RHD vehicles. LHD for US delivery will likely start production in November for Dec delivery. My guess (opinion) is that around 500 GT3s will be produced and delivered to dealers before 31 Dec 2013. 

Whilst everything appears to be unconfirmed until Porsche have recieved dealer deposit interest to allocate quota and firm production slots the above senario I have been told by the informed is the most likely set of events at this stage...

nberry:

The GT3 is becoming the ' sports road ' car now  and still a killer on the track. But it is more and more adapted to every day usage . 

This is precisely what attracted me to this car. In addition to its unique styling setting it apart from other Porsche's, it provides a modicum of daily comfort with the rawness to generate exciting driving. Great combination!

Congrats Nick on your (still not confirmed?) order... I know you had quite a bit of 997TT time but the interesting comparison might actually be to your old F430, in terms of the GT3's balance of aggression and civility, also seems that P  is trying to make the PDK more part of the emotions with this car.... Again maybe like Ferrari always did with their F1 gearbox? 

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

RC:

I feel suddenly so sad... laugh (not getting the GT3).

This is life...tough life...

Sounds like you had a deal almost.. Your sentiments reminded me of this:

Smiley

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather (Canada)
    1991 BMW 318i Brilliantrot/Black Leather (Germany)

Ex: '89 525i, '74 280E, '87 325is, '86 325e, '05 FF, '85.5 944

Hahaha that's golden Aaron! 

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

GTlover:
    Gnil:
    nberry:

Start of production is  :   07/2013

Market launch for the USA  is :   11/2013

Hi Gnil,

Thanks..start of production 07/2013..more or less what I said here before..- but what does that mean:

a) that Porsche doesnt have any 991 GT3s available for journalists until 07/2013?..means..first reviews will come in 08-09 /13..

or

b) does it mean that the first customer cars will be built in 07/13 (journalists would have tested the car already long before) so that first customer cars are arriving to showrooms in 07 and for customers in 08/2013..

I heard that only roughly 200 will be built first..in order to keep demand higher than supply..

Thanks,

I have nothing more specific then this Smiley

Only other info is market launch for Europe is 08/2013

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Currently, Porsche seems to promise first cars for German dealers in September. No precise date has been fixed yet, so there is still a question mark here. Also availability for this years seems to be very limited, my dealer gets only 3 cars (at max) this year. If he is lucky... 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:

Currently, Porsche seems to promise first cars for German dealers in September. No precise date has been fixed yet, so there is still a question mark here. Also availability for this years seems to be very limited, my dealer gets only 3 cars (at max) this year. If he is lucky... 

--

Hi RC,

Ok - thanks..that partly answers my question already...if dealers wont get one before septmember..customers wont have it either..so that means still roughly 6 months before the first ones arrive..and then only at dealers for "display"..to be touched and admired...- but not to be driven (?)

Do you have any idea what the criteria for a test drive would be? I remember in 997 times..wasnt so easy to test drive one..in fact ..it was almost impossible..but if Porsche wants to make this car a "winner"..they need to let customers test it more. In the past, the Porsche dealer in Germany had to go through a special procedure for getting one for a test drive...the car would be delivered from the factory to the dealer on a specific day..and be collected again in the evening...

It should be possible for good customers to get an appointment for a test drive in Ludwigsburg, I doubt that Porsche will deliver the car to the dealer. The bad part here: Dealers have to pay for this test drive  as far as I understood, so they won't agree unless they are really sure you want to buy the car.

--

Don't they risk losing deposits because of new models being introduced either from Porsche or other manufacturers? Despite the GT3 attraction, it still is not a Ferrari and if a prospective buyer walks into a dealer and wants to buy one it will be a put off  if told a 12-18 month wait for delivery. 

--

nberry:

Don't they risk losing deposits because of new models being introduced either from Porsche or other manufacturers? Despite the GT3 attraction, it still is not a Ferrari and if a prospective buyer walks into a dealer and wants to buy one it will be a put off  if told a 12-18 month wait for delivery. 

hmm..dont get it..

1. Of course a Porsche is not a Ferrari or Lambo...but the new GT3 doesnt change that either

2. Why 18month waiting list? All we said that first cars will be in a dealer in Europe around september...if you oder now...you might get by the end of the year..thats rougly 9 month...- where is the 18 coming from?Smiley

Most likely the US GT3 "launch" will be an LA auto show debut in November.  I believe that even if the cars are built and delivered to the port they are held in "embargo" until after the show for delivery. 

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

GTlover:
    nberry:

hmm..dont get it..

1. Of course a Porsche is not a Ferrari or Lambo...but the new GT3 doesnt change that either

2. Why 18month waiting list? All we said that first cars will be in a dealer in Europe around september...if you oder now...you might get by the end of the year..thats rougly 9 month...- where is the 18 coming from?Smiley

Walk into a showroom in the US today and say I want to buy a GT3. They will extract a deposit (something I NEVER did with Ferrari) from you and say we do not know when you can spec your car because we do not know what our allocations are.  But you are on a list.

Assuming some of the rumors are true, US dealers will get their allocations in August if not later. Again the rumors also say that dealers will be fortunate to get  3-4 allocations for the year. If you happen to be let's say 8th on the list when do you get the car? 15-18 months from today. 

From my standpoint, if my dealer tells me that his allocations are limited and I would not be able to order the car until some time next year I probably will ask for my deposit back. Life is too short and there are other sport cars I will consider.

--

Just received  what I believe to very reliable information regarding GT3's for the US. Dealers can take orders now and production for US cars will begin in October with deliver in November and December.

--

nberry:

YOu might get certain Ferrari models far easier these days than a new GT3 Smiley

nberry:

Just received  what I believe to very reliable information regarding GT3's for the US. Dealers can take orders now and production for US cars will begin in October with deliver in November and December.

Sounds similar timings to the UK.

Does anyone know the size of the fuel tank in the GT3 (UK version)?

Thanks

Sidicks

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752901 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430571 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258526 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255428 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5251 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868173 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801721 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM