Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 911 GT3 (991)

PBS2010:
    nberry:

I am really having a problem with this. 

I bought a new car and I expect a new car to be delivered to me not one which has had its engine replaced. In my view that is no longer a new car. It left the factory with a substantial defect and for Porsche to say we will fix it and sell it to you as new I have difficulty swallowing. If my car while being loaded fell into the ocean and immediately recover dried out by Porsche would it be right for Porsche to deliver it to me saying it is like new?

I find that offensive.

+++++++++++++

Try and obtain from your dealer the cancellation of the sale and your money back.

It would be no problem for me to get my money back.

My problem is do I want a new car that has had its engine replaced. After considerable thought and investigation, I decided for now I will keep the car. This can change if Porsche tells me I have to wait several months for a new engine.

PBS2010 is the same joker who said the Macan thread is a GT3 thread? 

Christian!! I didn't know you hired a new sheriff to police our forums on your behalf. 

--

apias:
    watt:

... the "world's most profitable car company" has to cut corners to be so.

Apple is the world's most profitable computer company and the world's most profitable smartphone company, and while they do have some of the lowest manufacturing costs in those industries, that doesn't come from cutting corners; their products have probably the highest build quality in their respective categories.

Ludicrously erroneous comparison, apple most certainly cuts corners, all their product is built with Asian slave labour, ethically rather worse than Porsche.

Slave labour compared with Americans living standard. 

But their salary and benefits is quite high compared with their peers in China. And millions of people are lining up just so they can get a job at those factories.  And if we compared their living standard against say Ethiopia, they are kings. 

Things are relative. 

--

watt:

Ludicrously erroneous comparison, apple most certainly cuts corners, all their product is built with Asian slave labour, ethically rather worse than Porsche.

Leaving aside ethical questions, reducing costs does not equal cutting corners. One refers to a dollar amount, the other refers to quality. I think it would be difficult to make an argument that the quality of Apple's products has declined as a result of shifting manufacturing to Asia.

apias:
    911rox:
    911rox:

^^^ Many had light oil weepage and drips from the RMS but massive leaks were the exception, not the norm... 

RMS leakage and coolant fitting failures were just more examples of a complete disregard by Porsche for their customers with fixes so easy yet ignored iteration after iteration... 

NEWSFLASH!!!

I used arrows referencing Watt's post about the leaks in previous generations of GT3... When you refuse to fix RMS leaks for 3 models of GT3 and Coolant pipe failures for 4 models of GT3 where simple fixes already existed in the aftermarket, I'd say thats a complete disregard for customers, wouldn't you????

In the context of the discussion, "were just more examples" clearly implied that the current situation is an example of showing "complete disregard". I disagreed and pointed out why. Apparently you've now changed your mind. That's good.

They may be putting a whole lot more effort into resolving this one than previous issues but only because they've been caught with the pants down having suffered extremely embarrassing failures on the street... A far better effort for a problem that should never have existed...

They also swapped centrelocks on the previous generation when they first discovered their f@#k up... 18 months later however when there were still grave safety issues for their customer, what did they do??? They handed the repair bill over for customers to shoulder the burden. Lets wait a couple of years to make sure they sort these cars out too and don't introduced a beloved track use engine rebuild schedule... Then will know for certain the level of regard they have for customers now... Smiley

hzoenvy33:
    Grant:
    WAY:

It would mean Porsche has confirmed that the GT3RS will indeed be based on the GT3 engine. None of this will-it-be-turbo-and-be-called-GT2RS nonsense. Thank goodness for that!!!

Not sure you can conclude that.  RC has hinted that the GT2RS (or whatever it's called) might be a turbocharged version of the GT3 motor (rather than just a turbocharged version of the Carrera motor, which is largely what the current Turbo is).

I think that WAY is absolutely correct..

Probably Porsche will do a GT2 RS in addition (!) to the GT3 RS.

The GT3 RS prototypes are 100.0% not turbo-charged. I studied this stuff, trust me ;)

Who said the GT3 RS would be turbo charged? I think you misunderstood some posts here.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

PBS2010:

It seems that you are gradually starting to see the light.

I wish I could say the same about YOU learning how to use our forum software. Smiley Smiley

I know that our software is intellectually challenging but... Smiley

Regarding the Cayenne production moving to Bratislava: I am quite surprised. I actually expected Porsche to start production in North America instead, if not with the Cayenne, at least with the Macan.

The production in Bratislava WILL hurt Cayenne sales. Same goes to the fact that Audi is now responsible for the SUV development in the future.

I hate to say this but for the first time, I found an alternative to the Cayenne (my Jeep SRT) and while many Americans may not "get" that, I think Europeans should give the Jeep SRT a chance. It is a fine car for very little money.

The Cayenne is a fine SUV but I won't pay a premium for a car manufactured in Slovakia and developed by Audi. Sorry. Smiley Unless Porsche makes it so good that I cannot resist. We will see about that...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
    PBS2010:

It seems that you are gradually starting to see the light.

I wish I could say the same about YOU learning how to use our forum software. Smiley Smiley

I know that our software is intellectually challenging but... Smiley

Regarding the Cayenne production moving to Bratislava: I am quite surprised. I actually expected Porsche to start production in North America instead, if not with the Cayenne, at least with the Macan.

The production in Bratislava WILL hurt Cayenne sales. Same goes to the fact that Audi is now responsible for the SUV development in the future.

I hate to say this but for the first time, I found an alternative to the Cayenne (my Jeep SRT) and while many Americans may not "get" that, I think Europeans should give the Jeep SRT a chance. It is a fine car for very little money.

The Cayenne is a fine SUV but I won't pay a premium for a car manufactured in Slovakia and developed by Audi. Sorry. Smiley Unless Porsche makes it so good that I cannot resist. We will see about that...

--

RC,  already today the body and underbody of the Cayenne is assembled in Slovakia then transported by rail to Leipzig for the interior fitting and final inspection. I guess they need to make room in Leipzig for something else... 

The body is made in Bratislava. You make it sound as if only the interior is fitted in Leipzig, this is not correct. 

Watch this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B65v856_93c

This video is not showing the Cayenne but the Touareg but it shows what is "done" in Bratislava (same goes for the Cayenne too)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOSeVlBifnI

--

RC:

The body is made in Bratislava. You make it sound as if only the interior is fitted in Leipzig, this is not correct. 

Watch this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B65v856_93c

This video is not showing the Cayenne but the Touareg but it shows what is "done" in Bratislava (same goes for the Cayenne too)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOSeVlBifnI

--

RC yes correct the Cayenne powertrain , interior , electronics are assembled and finished  in Leipzig.  Instead the Toureg is entirely built in Bratislava and leaves from there as finished product .  The plant is (by the words of VAG engineers) among the most modern and advanced facility in the group. 

Any relevant GT3 content?

I don't care a bit about porsche suv's.

I'll contribute: I originally wanted to do euro delivery but March didn't sound like a good time to do it so I passed.  Now that my BBQ is stuck at Port of Emden awaiting conversion into a sports car, time has passed and good weather is coming to the motherland.  Already in contact with pcna to see if I can do the ED once the transformation process is done!

--

991 GT3 incoming, 964 Turbo 3.6, E36 M3 ltw S54 conversion, bunch of other stuff

frayed:

Any relevant GT3 content?

I don't care a bit about porsche suv's.

I'll contribute: I originally wanted to do euro delivery but March didn't sound like a good time to do it so I passed.  Now that my BBQ is stuck at Port of Emden awaiting conversion into a sports car, time has passed and good weather is coming to the motherland.  Already in contact with pcna to see if I can do the ED once the transformation process is done!

Are you serious? You won't see any relevant GT3 content anymore for at least two or three weeks. Smiley Smiley

--

I just got a call from "Katrinia" at PNA. Background, my car stopped production on 2/14. Was originally to be at my dealer on May 2nd. She said I will have a loaner on May 2nd to use until my GT3 shows up whenever that may be.

She did not say what type of loaner - likely a used Hyunda (kidding) but felt this to be a fair offer for someone that only has a deposit on a car.

Since I've had a buncha 911s I would like a new boxster or coxster. 

--

991 GT3 incoming, 964 Turbo 3.6, E36 M3 ltw S54 conversion, bunch of other stuff

Porsche 991 GT3 RS summer launch?

Top model 991 GT3 RS coming soon to the market...

Porsche CEO Matthias Mueller refused to rule in an interview with Auto Motor und Sport that the planned for summer delivery of the GT3 RS needs to be moved. "You can not foresee at the moment," said Mueller. "But we first want to be sure that there is with the other motor no longer a problem." 

Porsche GT3 engines are revised

With this, Porsche responded to the fire of two GT models in Switzerland and Italy, which had led to the recall of 785 delivered 911 GT3. Two screws coming loose in the engine were the reason for the recall. Müller: "The problem was, in the broadest sense, an engine problem. The two vehicles has in the area of ​​the connecting rods, a screw is loosened." Says Müller. "We now know why this happened, and now work out measures to prevent this in the future." Therefore, in any case would be revised by the motor.

Porsche 991 GT3 RS summer launch -- AMS article

Smiley

Engine problem is "homemade" - not a supplier's issue according to german mag Wirtschaftswoche:

http://www.wiwo.de/unternehmen/auto/porsche-rueckruf-schuld-waren-zu-grosse-toleranzen/9649612.html

Fabrication tolerances (as set by Porsche) not tight enough....

--

public roads: Porsche 981S white/black/red, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Porsche-Jeck:

Engine problem is "homemade" - not a supplier's issue according to german mag Wirtschaftswoche:

http://www.wiwo.de/unternehmen/auto/porsche-rueckruf-schuld-waren-zu-grosse-toleranzen/9649612.html

Here is a translation of the article.

Porsche article.jpg

IMHO Porsche gains by accepting responsibility regardless whether it is a supplier issue wholly or only in part.  The supplier is not hung out to dry and potentially suffer loss of confidence with other clients and Porsche takes the high road.

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

Any chance someone could do a better translation? The semantics of the first paragraph seem to have been completely lost in that one (Microsoft?) and Google translate doesn't seem to do any better. 

Porsche 991 GT3 RS to debut at the Goodwood Festival of Speed...

Goodwood FOS:

"40 years of @Porsche 911 Turbo to be celebrated - plus the debut of the brand new 911 GT3 RS..."

Goodwood-FOS_991-GT3-RS.jpg

..the Goodwood Festival Of Speed will be from 26th to 29th June 2014! Smiley

Smiley SmileySmiley

That means the press embargo might end in late May or early June?

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

More cars should debut at Goodwood FOS. It's much better than a static display at a motorshow IMHO. 

What are those stripes going across from the hood to the roofline?

Any update on when production resumes????? 

watt:

Hi Watt, I guy on RL posted this after I asked what the daily capacity of Porsche is in building the GT3 engine.

"I did a factory tour at Stuttgart in January and thus am familiar with some of their production capacities. Porsche produces cars at Stuttgart (911s), Leipzig (Cayennes and Panameras), and Osnabruck (Caymans and Boxsters). The engines for ALL of these cars are produced by the engine factory in Stuttgart. I'm not positive about the engines for Boxsters and Caymans, but they only account for 16% of Porsche's total output.

Porsche sold 162,145 cars in calendar 2013. Assuming that the engine factory was in operation for 250 days, that's about 650 engines per day. Normally engines of all types are intermingled on the production line, but there is no reason, other than parts supply, that they couldn't produce nothing but GT3 engines for a day or two. So production capacity is not in the least in the critical time path. It's probably parts supply and/or other logistical issues.

Another interesting fact: The time from when an engine block enters the assembly line until the completed and tested engine rolls off of the assembly line is only 4 hours! Given this, it's easy to agree that producing a new engine is going to be a lot faster than disassembling and reassembling one to replace an internal part. More expensive yes, but a lot faster!"
    IvanBurns is online now Report Post  

Jean:

What are those stripes going across from the hood to the roofline?

I believe those are actually raised center sections on the roof and hood, which rumor suggests will be carbon fiber.  They could be to add stiffness to these panels or purely cosmetic or something else entirely.  All just guessing at the moment.

Porsche-Jeck:

It is a pity they do not name the Porsche manager who said this (according to them).  Smiley

It is also interesting how fast other publications picked this up:

http://www.wallstreet-online.de/nachricht/6652951-motorenbraende-porsche-probleme-motoren-hausgemacht

--

watt:

German dealers haven't received any engines yet according to what I heard, so I guess it may take a while until production resumes. They need to put those stranded customer cars back on the street as fast as possible, it has priority as far as I understood.

Speaking of "stranded" cars: Last Saturday, we had great weather in Bavaria. Over 21°C and sunny. I was fueling up my 991 Turbo S when I noticed a new GT3 next to the fuel station store. I went inside to pay and when I exited, the car was just pulling away. I wish I had seen the whole license plate but I am pretty sure it was not a factory car (no LB, BB or S license plate). Kind of regretted I didn't talk to this guy. I was so surprised that I didn't pay more attention.

I actually thought that all GT3 are at dealerships now, waiting for new engines? Weird. Smiley

If something happens, the owner of the car will be in huge legal trouble.

--

So it's true, the GT-R disease has been transmitted into Porsche factory successfully and the future is going to be very costly for both parties.

Good luck to all the owners.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688164 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408540 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255472 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234692 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65327 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857443 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773124 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM