Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 911 GT3 (991)

SuzyF:
    bluelines:
    PBS2010:
    igirl:
    PBS2010:

PS

on top of that, the Corvette was on its regular tires which are not as sticky as those fitted on the GT3

The Corvette made a good / great lap time. But not as great as the GT3's one. So what's the point?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What’s the point?  The basic point is that the Corvette Stingray, also tested in the same (great) magazine, is as fast in the corners as the GT3.  That is the short version.  A variant of this short version is that if you bought your car for track time only, you may have wasted your money!

Do you own or have ever owned either of the 991 GT3 or Corvette Stingray?

+1

i was wondering the same thing.Smiley It looks more like trolling than someone who really knows what he's talking about....

Unfortunately,  I see this happen on other forums too. More and more discussions about Corvette and GT-R on Porsche orientated topics than before. If one likes a Corvette or a Gt-R more than a GT3 or whatever Porsche, than it's OK. Nothing wrong with that, but why are they looking for affirmation on a Porsche topic? Everybody needs to buy what he or she likes. Other people's opinions are not important. If they are, then that person is doing something wrong in life.

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

++++++++++++++++++++

This is a forum for discussion, exchanges of views and facts, not blind worship.

igirl:
    Herbaliser:

Just placed an order for a GT3 scheduled for a late April delivery. The car will NOT be driven on a track. I think I can live without the ceramics. Am I missing something?

Yes... The GT3 is not the best choice IMO for daily use. Especially if you don't plan to use it on track!

++++++++++++++++++++

"The GT3 is not the best choice IMO for daily use".  I agree.  I just spent my first WE in the GT3 and I can tell that it is not comfortable driving at legal speeds on the highway:  a lot of engine noise, in addition to tyre noise (although tyre noise seems less than on 997 Turbos).  While the engine noise is great with you "go for it", it is really a nuisance when all you want is to cruise on the highway at legal speeds.  After a couple of hours on the highway in these conditions, a rest is quite welcome.

CGX car nut:
    Leawood911:

What I understand now is that we only know of the ones which caught fire!  There could be many more rod failures which did not result in fires!  Fire just happens to be the most visible outcome.

Once again, everything about this points to an underdeveloped engine program, much like what happened during the transition from air-cooled to water-cooled.  Even the V8 engine program for the Cayenne was not without significant issues that are seldom found in cars at fractions of the price of Porsches.  

This is inexcusable given the current state of testing regimes and technology and Porsche, and Volkswagen, Senior Management should be contemplating staff changes soon.  

++++++++++++++++++++

Maybe they were too busy working on the Macan? Smiley

PBS2010:
    SuzyF:
    bluelines:
    PBS2010:
    igirl:
    PBS2010:

PS

on top of that, the Corvette was on its regular tires which are not as sticky as those fitted on the GT3

The Corvette made a good / great lap time. But not as great as the GT3's one. So what's the point?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What’s the point?  The basic point is that the Corvette Stingray, also tested in the same (great) magazine, is as fast in the corners as the GT3.  That is the short version.  A variant of this short version is that if you bought your car for track time only, you may have wasted your money!

Do you own or have ever owned either of the 991 GT3 or Corvette Stingray?

+1

i was wondering the same thing.Smiley It looks more like trolling than someone who really knows what he's talking about....

Unfortunately,  I see this happen on other forums too. More and more discussions about Corvette and GT-R on Porsche orientated topics than before. If one likes a Corvette or a Gt-R more than a GT3 or whatever Porsche, than it's OK. Nothing wrong with that, but why are they looking for affirmation on a Porsche topic? Everybody needs to buy what he or she likes. Other people's opinions are not important. If they are, then that person is doing something wrong in life.

--

Suzy

++++++++++++++++++++

This is a forum for discussion, exchanges of views and facts, not blind worship.

Well... Then you now know my view and facts. FWIW... I'm not blindly worshipping Porsche Smiley

--

Suzy

Enjoy  angry indecision

All jokes aside, German engineering was impeccable in those days.

Mercedes, Auto Union, the Panzer series, Focke-Wulf, Messerschmitt, Junkers, ThyssenKrupp among others.

I am sure the Fuhrer would have sent everybody involved in the GT3 fiasco to their nearest Arbeitslager angry

--

"Form follows function"

What an idi0tic movie. Why are some americans buying a Porsche if they still have "that kind" of opinion about Germans?

No, IMHO this movie is not funny at all. 

Haha, this thread is getting better by the post. The joys of Internet forum mass hysteria. 

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

The new GT3RS will get a turbocharged engine!

(sorry, german only indecision )

PBS2010:
    CGX car nut:
    Leawood911:

What I understand now is that we only know of the ones which caught fire!  There could be many more rod failures which did not result in fires!  Fire just happens to be the most visible outcome.

Once again, everything about this points to an underdeveloped engine program, much like what happened during the transition from air-cooled to water-cooled.  Even the V8 engine program for the Cayenne was not without significant issues that are seldom found in cars at fractions of the price of Porsches.  

This is inexcusable given the current state of testing regimes and technology and Porsche, and Volkswagen, Senior Management should be contemplating staff changes soon.  

++++++++++++++++++++

It sounds like the result of cutting costs for the engine. There are good reasons the Mezger was so expensive. 

Has anyone seen or heard from Andreas Preuninger recently? Isn't he head of GT car development? The joke quote from Rennlist comes to mind "Shut up and don't drive".

--

RS60 Spyder, 991 GT3 RS pending :)

boytronic:

[...]  "Shut up and don't drive"

Smiley Smiley

--

Porsche 911 GT3 - Guards Red 997 MKII Clubsport

To those who seem to think that recalls are unusual.

http://www.autoblog.com/category/recalls-tsbs/

The GT3 issue is nothing compared to this list angry

--

KresoF1:

What an idi0tic movie. Why are some americans buying a Porsche if they still have "that kind" of opinion about Germans?

No, IMHO this movie is not funny at all. 

couldnt agree more..this video is a disgrace, to relate Porsche (no matter the 991 GT3 situation) in a movie with Hitler..unbelievable - please ban this thing here - it has snothing to do in a car forum.

boytronic:
    PBS2010:
    CGX car nut:
    Leawood911:

++++++++++++++++++++

It sounds like the result of cutting costs for the engine. There are good reasons the Mezger was so expensive. 

Has anyone seen or heard from Andreas Preuninger recently? Isn't he head of GT car development? The joke quote from Rennlist comes to mind "Shut up and don't drive".

--

I fear the worst for him - he is such a great guy, one the guys that share the Porsche GT passion, the man behind the 4.0, GT2RS, 997 GT3 etc. I just hope Porsche Management doesnt blame him for the current disaster..

ClaNie:

Wow - that would be shocking - here is a translation of one of the more interesting paragraphs:

"GT3 RS with Turbo: in the footsteps of the GT2
    instead of the new Porsche 911 GT3 RS take a huge step forwards and a mixture of GT3 and GT2 are. This is the Stuttgart-based sports car manufacturer Porsche with this, the first prototypes for the GT3 RS fully succeeded. The biggest news is the Turbo engine, the new GT3 RS from immediately."

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

GTlover:

I fear the worst for him - he is such a great guy, one the guys that share the Porsche GT passion, the man behind the 4.0, GT2RS, 997 GT3 etc. I just hope Porsche Management doesnt blame him for the current disaster..

Read my link with recalls... if one needs to find an engineer to blame for every recall there would be no automotive engineers left in this world Smiley

--

Except this isn't your regular recall.

--

Porsche 911 GT3 - Guards Red 997 MKII Clubsport

RC:
    reginos:
    RC:

All I know is that the GT3 engine is a technical masterpiece and the current setback (like the ones before) has been caused by supplier fault. This cannot (and should not) be an excuse for Porsche but sh.t happens but this doesn't mean the technical design is faulty.

IMO if Porsche told the world that the problem was supplier related, there wouldn't be such a significant loss of confidence.

So, why don't they own up to this fact? Are you sure it is as simple as that?

People now can suspect everything imaginable and the damage done to the image will take a long time to be erased.

If I would tell you what was wrong with my Panamera Turbo S delivery delay...oh boy...you wouldn't believe it. I made a few hints but I had all the details, you would be surprised. Yes, it was a supplier issue but while I got the details, most customers (I know of) didn't have a clue. I don't know why Porsche isn't more straight forward but maybe they don't want to damage the reputation of the supplier or whatever, I don't have a clue. Smiley

As the English saying goes:   "You don't wash your dirty linen in public.". 

To try to just talk one's way out of responsibility for a problem by blaming a supplier would be seen in public as a cheap shot, even if factually correct. 

--

fritz

fritz:

To try to just talk one's way out of responsibility for a problem by blaming a supplier would be seen in public as a cheap shot, even if factually correct. 

And if not correct, it could result in expensive legal liability (from the damage to the reputation of the supplier in question) to go with the embarassment and expense of the original issue.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Grant:
    ClaNie:

Wow - that would be shocking - here is a translation of one of the more interesting paragraphs:

"GT3 RS with Turbo: in the footsteps of the GT2
    instead of the new Porsche 911 GT3 RS take a huge step forwards and a mixture of GT3 and GT2 are. This is the Stuttgart-based sports car manufacturer Porsche with this, the first prototypes for the GT3 RS fully succeeded. The biggest news is the Turbo engine, the new GT3 RS from immediately."

--

Why shocking? If true it would mean: the GT2RS is now named GT3RS - the old GT3RS concept is history...

Basically: a renaming and streamlining of the product range. No more GT2, no more GT3RS Smiley

It's shocking because for 15 years now GT3 is NA. Also, for those of us who prefer a high revving, non turbo track car, is this the end for us? Always thought I would own a RS one day but maybe not. :( 

Turbocharger + 9,000rpm rev limiter on a production car ?

power output 500hp ~ 520hp ?

It doesn't make any sense yes  not from Porsche, that hardly gives more hp for less money

MKSGR:

Why shocking? If true it would mean: the GT2RS is now named GT3RS - the old GT3RS concept is history...

Shocking because Porsche does not race a turbocharged 911 and the GT3RS has always been the car that enthusiasts could buy that was most closely related to the factory race cars.

--

Maybe upcoming regulations demand the use of turbocharged engines for racing in the near future, like in formula 1??? I'm just guessing here.... yes

--

Suzy

SuzyF:

Maybe upcoming regulations demand the use of turbocharged engines for racing in the near future, like in formula 1??? I'm just guessing here.... yes

--

Suzy

My first reaction is that the article is wrong.

My next reaction (if true) is that maybe Porsche is setting the marketing stage for its new facelift 2015 981 and 991 Boxster/Cayman and Carrera turbocharged variants.  If the RS is turbo, then don't complain about your new turbo Boxster?

--

Or it could be the most simple reason - the 9A1 block has reached its limit and forced induction is the only option left...!

--

boytronic:

Or it could be the most simple reason - the 9A1 block has reached its limit and forced induction is the only option left...!

No, I don't think that is it.

--

reginos:

ag23:

1393192588239image.jpg

I love the colours you have chosen for your 911s. I love these technical colours on Porsche sportscars.

Were you intending to keep both or it is temporary until the GT3 is fixed?

I will keep both... Two different animals...Smiley

--

2011 Porsche 911 [997.2] Carrera 4S (Platinum Silver) {Sold}
    2013 Porsche Panamera GTS [970.1] (Basalt Black) {Sold}
    2013 Porsche 911 [991.1] Carrera S (GT Silver)
    2014 Porsche 911 [991.1] GT3 (Agate Grey

“The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively” ― Bob Marley

Porsche once offerred a pretty good turbo 2.8 flat 6 with 430 HP. 

Who would not like todays equivalent of a 959? 

I think I am the odd one again.

If I had a GT3, would LOVED to have Porsche replaced the whole engine. Think about it, Porsche paying 50k-60k for a new engine in my car. That means it will sink more into it than my depreciation in the first few years. And Porsche don't even make 60k profit a car. Kinda feel great knowing Porsche didn't make a cent off my purchase.

On my old 1st gen Bangle 745i, BMW had to replaced the digital amp control unit 3 times, @9k+ a piece. Plus another 5hrs of labour each time. That's 30k out of their pocket. I also had to return like 10 times to fix the auto close trunk, 6 times for the headlamps, plus numerous other stuff. All together over the 3 years I owned it, BMW must have paid close to 70k in parts and labour on warranty work on my car. Back then that car cost me 110k. When I sold it 3 years later it was valued at 50k. They paid more into the car than I have lost. To me that's a win for myself. 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764615 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436662 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261122 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258031 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82693 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5329 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877023 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809124 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM