Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 911 GT3 (991)

boytronic:
    911rox:

Best of luck with receiving notifications from Porsche in a timely manner... When the second CL recall happened for the 997.2 that introduced a maintenance schedule, we were informed about the new requirements in writing 10 MONTHS after the fact... Too bad if someone had not learned the new requirements on a forum and had exceeded their hub usage requirements and lost a wheel in those 10 months...

I wouldn't be holding my breath for an announcement in the next week...

Silence is very powerful - Porsche have used it for decades and it works. For each customer they lose there will be two more that they gain.

In a few months this issue will be forgotten, just like the CL issue, and we will be raving about the RS and Macan...

Really?... Shame Ferrari didn't have the same luck with their flaming f458s and that was only due to faulty bodywork, not reported engine fires... I certainly haven't forgotten 4-5 years on. I doubt a prospective RS buyer will forget engine failures and fires when their car will share engine and technology and they expect it to bash out lap after lap on a race track ...

GTlover:

http://thesupercarkids.com/porsche-991-gt3-wrecked-in-uk-with-only-80-miles-on-the-clock/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=porsche-991-gt3-wrecked-in-uk-with-only-80-miles-on-the-clock

The crashed GT3 is a non-event IMO as far as the road manners of the car are concerned. People have managed to crash their cars in all sorts of stupid circumstances even coming out of the dealership where they picked the car up for the first time.

The road surface looks damp and the driver most probably accelerated violently (even if we give the benefit of the doubt that he only reached 80km/h) on brand new UHP tyres. Any type of tyre needs bedding-in at least 500km. Brand new tyres on cars and motorcycles are very slippery.

I take such stories very lightly. Not everyone who can afford a GT3 or similar is a good, experienced or reasonable driver.

--

"Form follows function"

I just heard from my dealer that all GT3s delivered to customers so far are being recalled. They will be picked up by truck and transported to the dealership, the strict instruction is not to take the cars there under their own steam. Ostensibly, the problem revolves around a faulty tube link beteen the oil cooler and the engine.

reginos:
    GTlover:

http://thesupercarkids.com/porsche-991-gt3-wrecked-in-uk-with-only-80-miles-on-the-clock/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=porsche-991-gt3-wrecked-in-uk-with-only-80-miles-on-the-clock

The crashed GT3 is a non-event IMO as far as the road manners of the car are concerned. People have managed to crash their cars in all sorts of stupid circumstances even coming out of the dealership where they picked the car up for the first time.

The road surface looks damp and the driver most probably accelerated violently (even if we give the benefit of the doubt that he only reached 80km/h) on brand new UHP tyres. Any type of tyre needs bedding-in at least 500km. Brand new tyres on cars and motorcycles are very slippery.

I take such stories very lightly. Not everyone who can afford a GT3 or similar is a good, experienced or reasonable driver.

+1  Smiley

The road was more than just damp when the accident happened. I have read a post in another forum where the car's owner confirmed personally that he and his daughter came out of the accident uninjured. He said he did not want ot go into the details of how the accident arose. His insurance company had already paid out in full. 
    Draw your own conclusions.  Smiley

--

fritz

ATTENTION: Apparently there is an OFFICIAL RECALL in effect as of right now. Porsche asks 991 GT3 owners NOT to use their cars anymore and to contact their dealers. I guess there will be some sort of official announcement at some point. This is something I got from one of my sources, so it is not 100% (but 99%), so be prepared.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

olli:

I just heard from my dealer that all GT3s delivered to customers so far are being recalled. They will be picked up by truck and transported to the dealership, the strict instruction is not to take the cars there under their own steam. Ostensibly, the problem revolves around a faulty tube link beteen the oil cooler and the engine.

So this seems to be true... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

With any luck the suggested recall will include removing the GT3 badge off these cars... GTS is always available...

olli:

Has anything been said to suggest whether the cars will be returned to owners at short notice after replacing parts? 
    I ask because there are two possibilities here: 
    Either 1)  the cause of  a fire is not yet known beyond any doubt as the suspect parts might have been too badly damaged in the fire to positively reconstruct the sequence of events (for example, if the said oil line was a flexible hose), so all cars need to be checked for any signs of potential weakness, misrouting or incorrect fitting of parts as confirmation of a suspected cause, 
    or 2) the cause has been positively identified in the meantime and parts or a revised installation deemed to be "OK" are to be applied to the cars as soon as they get to the dealers, in which case the cars could be turned around quickly. 

--

fritz

"Porsche Recalls High-Performance 911 GT3 After Fires"

20 February 2014 (Bloomberg) -- Porsche AG is recalling the 911 GT3 sports car and advising owners not to use the high-performance model after two vehicles caught fire following an engine failure.

The recall affects all 785 Porsche 911 GT3 vehicles from the current model year, the Stuttgart, Germany-based automaker said in a statement. The price of the GT3 version of the iconic 911 starts at 137,303 euros ($188,000).

“There have been no accidents or personal injuries,” the Volkswagen AG brand said in the statement. “The internal examinations of the reason for the engine failures aren’t finalized yet.” The two vehicle fires happened in Europe.

Recalls in recent months by carmakers, including VW, Chrysler Group LLC and Toyota Motor Corp., highlight the challenges of adding increasingly sophisticated technology to new models.

Porsche Chief Executive Officer Matthias Mueller said this month that the marque plans to exceed 200,000 in annual deliveries in 2015, three years earlier than first targeted, on demand for the Macan compact sport-utility vehicle going on sale later this year. Porsche’s deliveries rose 15 percent to a record 162,145 vehicles in 2013 as demand for the Boxster and Cayman models more than doubled.

Source: Bloomberg

______

"Porsche recalls all 911 GT3 cars made this year amid fire probe"

(20 February 2014)

BERLIN (Reuters) - Porsche said it will recall all 785 models of its 911 GT3 sports-car that have been delivered this year after two of them caught fire.

Volkswagen-owned Porsche said on Thursday it would check the engines of the GT3, the most expensive version of its overhauled 911 two-seater, and recommended owners not to use the vehicles.

Engineers at Porsche are still examining the remains of the gutted vehicles used in Switzerland and Italy to determine the causes of the fires.

Source: Reuters

Just to add that I got an email from a friend who works at Motor Presse in Stuttgart:

"...Porsche request immediate stop of testing press 991 GT3. All press GT3s will be collected by Porsche as soon as possible.*

SA got another 991 GT3 for comparison and new Hockenheim lap time. But, that test won'e be published any time soon...

From SA web site:

http://www.sportauto.de/marken/news/porsche-911-gt3-991-auslieferungsstopp-nach-ungeklaerten-braenden-8064740.html

KresoF1:

Well... I wrote few weeks ago that despite Porsche's claims new 991 GT3 has limited daily usage. Mainly, it is because of both set of available tires. I drove new GT3 with MPSC on very wet road(rain was pouring intensly) and PSM was working overtime. Despite my efforts I had few sudden not-so-nice reactions that scared me. Yes, speed was maybe little bit above avergae for wet road, but at same speed 991 Turbo S with P Zeros were super stable at wet.

Remember the time when the 996 Turbo came out and many people made complaints about the neutral behavior and the boring ride? Then, Porsche put the 996 GT2 on the market and many 996 Turbo owners switched to the GT2. Guess what? One year later, there were many accidents and quite a bunch of GT2 owners who switched back. 

Using the GT3 for track fun (or even public road fun) is one thing but knowing it's limitations under certain driving conditions another one. Also don't forget that there are people who have superb driving skills, enjoying the GT3 even in the wet sliding and others who are your average sports car driver, fast, experienced but not Walter Röhrl and these people will have a bad surprise when they learn that they cannot drive the GT3 at the same pace under certain road conditions as they did with their family SUV.  I know this sounds a little bit extreme but you get the point.

This is why I do not understand why Porsche doesn't offer a 991 GTS with the GT3 technology (engine, PDK, AWS) but let's say 460 hp, rear seats (optional) and normal street tires. They could even charge the same price as for the GT3 for it. People would love this car and those who need a track toy, could go for the GT3 instead. That simple. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I thought the the reason for the GT3 was homologation !..?

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Recalls in recent months by carmakers, including VW, Chrysler Group LLC and Toyota Motor Corp., highlight the challenges of adding increasingly sophisticated technology to new models. 
    A highly sophisticated oil tube or hose, maybe?  Smiley

Engineers at Porsche are still examining the remains of the gutted vehicles used in Switzerland and Italy to determine the causes of the fires.

Just as I thought. 

--

fritz

Maybe the need to re-adopt the "keep it simple stupid" philosophy...

What sort of dumb ass engineers do they employ that can't design pipe fittings that don't fail... The Mezger coolant fittings were an issue on track, now they've supposedly decided to f$%k up oil lines... wtf???  

I won't be holding my breathe to see one compete the NBR 24hr then...

So, its what I thought. Not just a batch of them by the look of it. 

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

GT3 pick up?, when P find a fix..

throt:

They are just making sure that nothing more happens. So far "only" two confirmed cases of fires.

This is very responsible but I think it comes a little bit late if you ask me. Smiley

--

Porsche has to manage any potential liability issues from injury or death due to a car fire, hence the nature of the recall advising that the cars not be driven and flat bedded back to the dealer.  I don't read anything more than standard risk management into that, with no implication as to the etiology or complexity of the technical problem.  Again we all know how bad things can become when a rubber o-ring cannot seal properly due to cold temperatures.

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

igirl:
    RC:

This is why I do not understand why Porsche doesn't offer a 991 GTS with the GT3 technology (engine, PDK, AWS) but let's say 460 hp, rear seats (optional) and normal street tires. They could even charge the same price as for the GT3 for it. People would love this car and those who need a track toy, could go for the GT3 instead. That simple. Smiley

991 GTS with GT3 technologies but only with less power and normal street tires? I don't have your point. It is useless. People will order the GT3 instead anyway. Except if they really need the rear seats... But people should not forget that the GT3 is not so comfortable as a daily car... So, the 991 GTS will be a mix between the Carrera S and the Turbo... But nothing in common with the GT3.

My only opinion.

I've always wanted a GT3 with back seats.  I know others who do a well. When you have young kids, sometimes it's the only way your partner will let you buy the car, or the only way you can justify it to yourself as you can actually take the kids with you in the car if you need to. BUT, I just want back seat option, I don't want a lower powered GT3!

15 hp wouldn't make much of a difference and everybody would be happy. You need to give the typical GT3 crowd "more", otherwise they don't bite. 

--

WAY:
    igirl:
    RC:

This is why I do not understand why Porsche doesn't offer a 991 GTS with the GT3 technology (engine, PDK, AWS) but let's say 460 hp, rear seats (optional) and normal street tires. They could even charge the same price as for the GT3 for it. People would love this car and those who need a track toy, could go for the GT3 instead. That simple. Smiley

991 GTS with GT3 technologies but only with less power and normal street tires? I don't have your point. It is useless. People will order the GT3 instead anyway. Except if they really need the rear seats... But people should not forget that the GT3 is not so comfortable as a daily car... So, the 991 GTS will be a mix between the Carrera S and the Turbo... But nothing in common with the GT3.

My only opinion.

I've always wanted a GT3 with back seats.  I know others who do a well. When you have young kids, sometimes it's the only way your partner will let you buy the car, or the only way you can justify it to yourself as you can actually take the kids with you in the car if you need to. BUT, I just want back seat option, I don't want a lower powered GT3!

Exactly, my youngest is 18yrs now so he doesn't want to hang out with me anymore. Its just me and the Mrs out for rides and then she's has no interest really. The GT3 if I'm honest is an expensive toy for myself, you know, summer weekend blast. 

I will be taking it easy though, had the M3's and such and all the super bikes when I was 19 - 20yrs old but not a proper sports car as such. So it will be sensible learning at the start.

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

DJC:
    KresoF1:

Well... I wrote few weeks ago that despite Porsche's claims new 991 GT3 has limited daily usage. Mainly, it is because of both set of available tires. I drove new GT3 with MPSC on very wet road(rain was pouring intensly) and PSM was working overtime. Despite my efforts I had few sudden not-so-nice reactions that scared me. Yes, speed was maybe little bit above avergae for wet road, but at same speed 991 Turbo S with P Zeros were super stable at wet.

Please forgive me - it is really nonsense to critique a car like a GT3 for being tricky to drive too fast in pouring rain. It is also naive to believe that the 991 turbo S (or any other high-performance car) would be much safer in these conditions. The mph level needed for aquaplaning might be a bit higher - however, when you found out how much higher you might be dead already. These cars need a driver with experience - that means in the first place: you need to know what is possible and what not Smiley

MKSGR:
    DJC:
    KresoF1:

Please forgive me - it is really nonsense to critique a car like a GT3 for being tricky to drive too fast in pouring rain. It is also naive to believe that the 991 turbo S (or any other high-performance car) would be much safer in these conditions. The mph level needed for aquaplaning might be a bit higher - however, when you found out how much higher you might be dead already. These cars need a driver with experience - that means in the first place: you need to know what is possible and what not Smiley

I think driving to what the conditions are is common sense, pure and simple. Think some get over confident and like to show boat at times..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

RC:
    throt:

They are just making sure that nothing more happens. So far "only" two confirmed cases of fires.

This is very responsible but I think it comes a little bit late if you ask me. Smiley

Sometimes it can also be irresponsible to take action like this too soon.
    Or do you think that Tesla should have had all its cars trucked to its dealers after three of them recently caught fire?   

--

fritz

fritz:
    RC:
    throt:

Or do you think that Tesla should have had all its cars trucked to its dealers after three of them recently caught fire?   

I agree with your sentiment to be sure, but Tesla's pockets aren't as deep as Porsche/VAG and litigation against Porsche comes quickly after almost any incident involving a Porsche vehicle.

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

fritz:
    RC:
    throt:

The speculation on the internet is going on now for almost two weeks. Way too long...Porsche should have reacted in a (public) way sooner than later. Nobody has been hurt so far and this is a good thing but just imagine what would have happened if... Smiley I doubt that Porsche would have recovered fast from such a publicity disaster. Luckily, they did the right thing now.

--

This is getting silly. Porsche tells owners not to drive their cars and does not tell them what the problem is?????? I applaud them for taking action but they need to be more forthcoming as to the reason for the recall and how long it will take to fix.

nberry:

This is getting silly. Porsche tells owners not to drive their cars and does not tell them what the problem is?????? I applaud them for taking action but they need to be more forthcoming as to the reason for the recall and how long it will take to fix.

Such a statement has to be made, after knowing all the facts, reasons and ways to fix it right. Which needs time... Smiley

I assume they know the facts and the fix. Otherwise, if they are still in the investigation stage and now decide to issue a no drive recall then they are about two weeks late.

FWIW, the accident in the UK on wet pavement is nothing more than a red herring. Despite the driver's version of events, it was entirely his fault and the car had nothing to do with the accident. He is covering his ass anticipating litigation from the vehicle he hit.

nberry:

I suppose Porsche don't know exactly the issue, so don't know yet what to fix/repair, so owners like me will never know when we will see our cars back...
    Cars that we were waiting for so long with the delay! ...

:(

nberry:

Smiley

Extract from the press statement:“There have been no accidents or personal injuries,” the Volkswagen AG brand said in the statement. “The internal examinations of the reason for the engine failures aren’t finalized yet.” 

It comes down to what I said in an earlier post about not wanting to go off half-cocked on the basis of too little information and before the relevant specialists have had an opportunity to study what's left of the damaged cars.

I know from vivid memories in my own personal experience that such situations can sometimes turn out to be completely different in reality, when more facts become available, than what had initially been thought on the basis of information received. 

--

fritz

Porsche have just protected themselves (covered there arse) from a possible fatal outcome in the event of a fire. Now they need to do the phone calls quick and then followed by a letter through your front door box. 

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762149 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435206 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260436 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257494 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80918 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872065 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807460 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM