Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 911 GT3 (991)

nberry:

Christian, these are the type of wagers that get people killed. I hope you are not foolish enough to participate. enlightened

I couldn't care less which car is faster. Both have their merits and excite their owners. That is all that needs to be said.crying

I agree, Nick, dangerous games trigger the egos to kick in.

Leave out the meetings guys, really not needed and your big boys now to agree to disagree. Both cars are fantastic, no need for proof of which one is slightly fastest..

--

throt

"I couldn't do it"

nberry:

Christian, these are the type of wagers that get people killed. I hope you are not foolish enough to participate. enlightened

I couldn't care less which car is faster. Both have their merits and excite their owners. That is all that needs to be said.crying

Nick, I don't care about how others drive. I know how I drive and this is what counts for me. Everything else is left to each invididual. They are adults, they have a brain, they have experience and they (hopefully) know how to drive.

Just relax though, this wouldn't be the first shootout and people are usually reasonable once they realize what they are dealing with. Smiley Also people are more civilized when meeting face to face and there is usually more fun (and less competition) involved than one would think. Don't worry. Smiley Of course there are those who have that knife between their teeth, so to speak but usually, these people calm down fast when they realize the driving skill level they are dealing with. Craziness is always possible though but then, I'm usually the one who slows down, I don't take chances. Never. I'm too old for that sh.t.

Also, no crazy stuff on public roads, this is what tracks are for. You don't really think we would race each other on mountain roads? The curves there usually don't permit very high speeds anyway, so it is more of a group driving fun than any serious racing. Also lots of nice photo opportunities. Smiley Even at intermediate speed levels, many drivers have difficulties following, so we don't have to worry about anything serious happening. Of course I'm not coming alone, usually other guys join me, like CR in his Carrera GT or a friend who drives in the Alpenpokal and has a 997 GT3 RS right now. Nobody from my group is nuts or has a too big ego, everyone is a skilled and very rational driver, so really no worries here. I know these guys for years and some of them are often driving in groups with Sutil and Röhrl and others, so go figure.

Sorry if there was some sort of misunderstanding. As to the straight line performance, this is the easiest comparison to do because it is not dangerous, it doesn't really involve any driving skills and it can be done on many public roads since we often do not have a speed limit in Germany. I don't like driving at nights though. In the past, we did some high speed testing at night but some friends had some dangerous encounters like animals or once even a truck in the middle of the Autobahn (a blown tire, the truck was sitting across three lanes on the Autobahn without any lights), which was very difficult to avoid. So no night speeding anymore, too dangerous, you often cannot see much, despite the high beams.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

You have a happy family and good life. Engaging in a race over an internet dispute is insane. You have much to lose aside from which car is the fastest.

Let me put it another way. Cars that are close in performance will do better depending on who the driver is. So even if you win it does not prove a damn thing. A better driver could have beaten you. So even if you track the cars, the question will remain unresolved as evidenced by two magazine differing results.

Regarding straight line performance, the problem is the unexpected. One wrong move by another driver on the road could put you into a hospital if not worse.

nberry:

You have a happy family and good life. Engaging in a race over an internet dispute is insane. You have much to lose aside from which car is the fastest.

Let me put it another way. Cars that are close in performance will do better depending on who the driver is. So even if you win it does not prove a damn thing. A better driver could have beaten you. So even if you track the cars, the question will remain unresolved as evidenced by two magazine differing results.

Regarding straight line performance, the problem is the unexpected. One wrong move by another driver on the road could put you into a hospital if not worse.

I thought I explained? Smiley There is no racing on public roads. We've done "meetings" like that very often and everyone, incl. the cars, survived. Smiley Everybody usually had a lot of fun, there is no competition.  As to straight line performance: What do you think we do on the Autobahn each and every day when one car is faster than the other one on the other lane? There is ZERO risk, why should there be one? SmileyTwo lanes, one car is faster, the other one slower. This is no racing, this is typical Autobahn business. Comparing straight line performance is the easiest and least dangerous think to do, I really don't get your point. Actually, driving fast straight is the easiest thing to do, this is why I'm not one of these guys who is overly fascinated by driving 200 mph and being impressed. 200 mph through a curve however are more interesting. Driving through twists and turns, this is where the fun is and this usually happens at much lower speeds.

As to tracking the cars: I know that track racing depends a lot on driver skills but this is exactly where I want to make my point. When you cannot drive a car at the limit as good or fast as the other car, which one is usually faster? My point. What does it help you or any other average or even above average skilled drivers if Walter Röhrl or Timo Kluck are faster on the track in a GT3? None of you guys will come even close. They know the car, they helped develop it. So in the end, you will be always faster in the Turbo S. As to the fun driving these cars, both have their pros and cons. I kind of get the feeling that you haven't driven either of them and it is a pity. Both provide similar driving fun for partially different reasons. This is why I always disagree with the prejudice I have to read here every day. It just simply isn't true. Also the reason I would love to own both, the Turbo S and the GT3 but if someone ordered or bought a GT3, I can understand the disagreement. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

FWIW, I have owned a 997.2 TT Cab and driven a 997GT3 and GT2. 

As for the rest of your post, all I can say is be careful.

nberry:

I have to agree with Nick here.  Give it a rest.

--

991 GT3 incoming, 964 Turbo 3.6, E36 M3 ltw S54 conversion, bunch of other stuff

frayed:
    nberry:

I have to agree with Nick here.  Give it a rest.

I too agree this puerile banter and taunting has continued long enough.  

Finally, a GT3 post on this thread that is not boring…. indecision.   Congratulations to igirl on receiving this GT3!  If Paris has snow have it delivered to Nice or someplace warmer….?  Love the look of those aero-wheel covers on the rear by the way… Lol   And you might be the first to provide something actually useful on this thread… a real drivers impressions report!  

Cheers, 

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Hi. I took delivery of my 991 GT3 RHD in Switzerland a month ago and have toured 4200km in it since including the Route Napoleon, Alpes de Maritimes, Old San Remo tarmac rally track, the hill run to Barossa and the run from Rapallo to Bobbio over the mountain pass as well as autostrada, autobahn and auto route. I think you will find my story and pictures interesting on rennlist on 991 Board under "First Real World Owners Feedback". There are also 8 x in car footage videos (and many more to come). I have driven the Gt3 in the pouring rain, down cobblestone italian village streets (so narrow only 3-4 cm each side!) in car park buildings (try the multi level in the Avignon old city and tell me it doesnt have terrible ramp angles!), with snow and ice with sun and dry tarmac, slow fast (240km only) windy and tight roads etc. I race Targa (tarmac rally) so also drove it hard but not on the race track sorry. Covered 5 countries. Car performed Faultlessly. It makes interesting read f you want to know what the GT3 is really about. Can is being shipped shorty to New Zealand then immediately into 5000km touring o South Island with 4 x full track days (1000km track) at 4 different tracks...by the end of that and maybe 1000km n my own favourite roads we shall know for sure if its a winner and keeper or will be sold and replaced by 964RS LOL!

there is no point in comparing. if you like a racy sport car, can do without certain amenities (like parking sensors and rear view cam), crave the NA sound at high revs, then it is the GT3 all the way. on the other hand, if you want an ultrafast and highly accomplished GT car with a luxurious touch, don't care about the looks, high revs and great soundtrack, then the turbo S is for you. unless of course you want to throw the supercar money which porsche asks for the turbo S at a real supercar and not at a squashed beetle in gen xxxxxx evolution.  peter

Anyone know whether Porsche is selling more 991 TTs's than regular 991 TT's? No one seems to discuss or even review the 991TT. 

Can't believe I'm doing this but WTH. 

Here's a recent post from a fella who dumped his TTS for the GT3.  While the TTS is likely faster in most situations, at this performance level it's not about speed.  It's about THE DRIVE.  Check it out.

"Yeas, I traded the TTS in at 3,000 miles. I damaged the front splitter on the track one day ($1,800 list, so be careful) and it had Pagid racing pads, which they had to remove and revert to OEM. Needed new tires too. Even with those expenses deducted from the trade end, I didn't lose much on the TTS.

I loved the massive power of the TTS from very early on in the RPM range and of course, the Birmester could not be beat. Aesthetically, the extra wide body with the near horizontal flat fender look did not grow on me. Also, the rear of the car Sat way too high. The exhaust note sucked and I listened to all after market exhaust upgrades on Turbos (on the 997s) and while louder, none was pleasing. The main reason for trading it in was the track. Yes, fast as heck (very curious to see if the GT3 is as fast on our local track or not) but very heavy and didn't like getting tossed around much. The extra weight and the all wheel drive killed my from tires way too fast. I had to replace the outer front tire twice, in addition to a full set of tires after 5 or 6 track days.

While there appear to be no break-in period for the GT3, I didn't feel good tracking it today with 80 miles on it but am going this weekend. On the road, the GT3 is a hell of a machine. The PDK with no creep is different, in a great way. If you slowly feather the throttle from idle, it will sound and behave like you have the clutch halfway depressed for almost as long as you need to. If you need to move fast and hit the throttle accordingly, it will fully engage very quickly. Up to 3,500 RPM, the sound is Carrera like and gradually increases. I am only going to 7,000 for another 100 miles or so (200 already, been driving all day) and at this range, the car is starting to pull harder and gets louder. Way much better exhaust note than my 991 C4S with sport exhaust. The "fake" burble in the exhaust is not there which is a welcome finding. I drove with both suspension settings and in uneven roads, not comfortable. The soft setting feels like something in between soft and firm in the C4S, definitely something that I can live with.

The TTS was a great car but felt somewhat "synthetic". The 3 is refined raw (yes, am aware this is an oxymoron but this is the best descriptive I could think of). I m going for another ride and will check back later"

--

991 GT3 incoming, 964 Turbo 3.6, E36 M3 ltw S54 conversion, bunch of other stuff

macca993:

Hi. I took delivery of my 991 GT3 RHD in Switzerland a month ago and have toured 4200km in it since including the Route Napoleon, Alpes de Maritimes, Old San Remo tarmac rally track, the hill run to Barossa and the run from Rapallo to Bobbio over the mountain pass as well as autostrada, autobahn and auto route. I think you will find my story and pictures interesting on rennlist on 991 Board under "First Real World Owners Feedback". There are also 8 x in car footage videos (and many more to come). I have driven the Gt3 in the pouring rain, down cobblestone italian village streets (so narrow only 3-4 cm each side!) in car park buildings (try the multi level in the Avignon old city and tell me it doesnt have terrible ramp angles!), with snow and ice with sun and dry tarmac, slow fast (240km only) windy and tight roads etc. I race Targa (tarmac rally) so also drove it hard but not on the race track sorry. Covered 5 countries. Car performed Faultlessly. It makes interesting read f you want to know what the GT3 is really about. Can is being shipped shorty to New Zealand then immediately into 5000km touring o South Island with 4 x full track days (1000km track) at 4 different tracks...by the end of that and maybe 1000km n my own favourite roads we shall know for sure if its a winner and keeper or will be sold and replaced by 964RS LOL!

Great story macca! Smiley I really enjoyed reading it. A fresh wind of real life experience in-between all the magazine test comparisons and prejudice views on the new GT3. Good stuff!

Cheers! Smiley

--

2014 981 Boxster S | Riviera Blue | PDK | Sport Suspension (-20mm) | PCCB | PTV | PSE
    2010 997.2 C2S | Carrara White | Manual | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE | OZ Superforgiata
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Previous
    2008 997.1 C4S | Guards Red | Manual | PSE | Bilstein PSS10 | H&R Roll Bars | Dension 500
    2007 997.1 Turbo | Meteor Gray | Manual | Bilstein PSS10 | Cargraphic Stage 2 | Dension 500
    2005 987.1 Boxster S | Arctic Silver | Manual | OZ Ultraleggera | H&R Cup Suspension | H&R Roll Bars | Sachs Racing Clutch | Recaro Shells
    2005 997.1 C2S | Atlas Gray | Manual | PSE | Sport Suspension (-20mm)

macca993:

SmileySmiley I can't wait to read the report !!!!! Your drive looks stunning and after- all you managed to do all the routes you wanted Smiley   Is it possible for you to copy-paste your reenlist post to this forum ?

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Thanks guys. Still on the move with limited internet access and many multiple posts on the other forum so I confess unlikely Ill be transferring those over here anytime soon. If you go to Youtube look at used Joanna Saville you will find some videos you may enjoy. In the meantime travel safe...

macca993:

Thanks guys. Still on the move with limited internet access and many multiple posts on the other forum so I confess unlikely Ill be transferring those over here anytime soon. If you go to Youtube look at used Joanna Saville you will find some videos you may enjoy. In the meantime travel safe...

European Winter was up to know quite kind to GT-3 drivers. Nice youtubes. Smiley

macca993:

Great story Macca993!  I enjoyed very much reading it, I guess your are the first one delivering an in depth review of the GT3 , much much better  than any magazine/video review so far . Just a question, you planned originally to drive to Sicily , what made you change your mind ? ( I might have missed the post). Congratulations againwink

--

911 Club Coupe, 993 4S Riviera Blau, 12' Audi S4 Avant

Hi m4ever, Correct indeed. Originally we did intend to spend some time in Sicily. We booked teh whole trip no more than 2-3 days out using trip advisor and booking.com. We just kinda went with the flow travelling around teh Italian coast and as low as Tuscany then realised we were running out of time to do Sicily justice so decided we would do it on another trip to Italy in the future. It was our third visit to Italy and second car tour and we love Italy so there will another....

Hi Macca,

Great thread - I recognise Zürich Strassenverkehrsamt where the test was done :-) been there plenty of times..

Just curious - why buy a RHD model in Switzerland? I did the reverse and exported a LHD car from the UK to Switzerland.

The more I read about this car, the more I'm tempted to (try to) order one..

--

2011 987S, 1964 Type 1

Hi Dave. I live in Vanuatu (near Fiji) but the car will reside with other is New Zealand (RHD) where I visit regularly. Next trip is scheduled March 16 when the car arrives in NZ and includes a 5000km trip to the South Island taking in four days at four different race tracks (it is summer) so around 1000km of tracks. By the time I have completed this and an additional 1000km on my favourite North Island roads I think I should have a good measure of the car in relation to my older water cooled cars (and also will have completed 10,000km in the GT3!)....

vevesse:

European Winter was up to know quite kind to GT-3 drivers. Nice youtubes. Smiley

I have no idea what you just said.    

Smiley

Enmanuel:
    vevesse:

I have no idea what you just said.    

Smiley

Sorry, there is a typo in. I wanted to say

European Winter was up to now quite kind to GT-3 drivers.

This means that there was not much snow in December on the roads, so macca993 could do his trip. At the beginning of December, we warned him to be careful on his trip due to the road conditions. Looking at his youtubes, the roads were clear of snow and almost no traffic. These are perfect road conditions.

It might happen in Europe that you cannot use your GT-3 from End of November to End of March due to snow and ice on the roads.

Nice car - nervous copilot.

Thanks Boxster Coupe for posting those. Much appreciated.

LOL! Some of the speeds we were doing were considerably quicker than they look. On the ESC test video for example. At one point there we are around 145kmph. It doesnt seem that fast by the way. My poor wife is used to co piloting in the 993. She did a 5 day Targa (tarmac Rally) last year in teh car - shes best with a book, a rally computer etc to take her mind of the road. The 993 is RS+ spec and it sounds much faster than it is compared to the new GT3. The new car had her all nervous because you can go from 75kmph to 190kmph in around 5 seconds! In the 993  that would be double the time. Essentially with the GT3 you could get yourself into a whole barrel of trouble between corners if you werent sensible. On one drive (not online!) deserted but damp roads up in the hills around Castellane I was able to repeatedly wring the car out between 75Km and 190kmph between corners on a relatively twisty road, braking again down to around 75Km. The corners were rates perhaps 35kmph and the limit 90kmph so it gives you some idea of the speed that can be carried.....its a fun car. manual control much more enjoyable than the auto function when pressing on IMHO.

Great trip!!!

Cars looks stunning,the rest spoke itself...indecision

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

Great parking pictures in front of hotel Hermitage in Monaco indecision

frayed:

Can't believe I'm doing this but WTH. 

Here's a recent post from a fella who dumped his TTS for the GT3.  While the TTS is likely faster in most situations, at this performance level it's not about speed.  It's about THE DRIVE.  Check it out.

"Yeas, I traded the TTS in at 3,000 miles. I damaged the front splitter on the track one day ($1,800 list, so be careful) and it had Pagid racing pads, which they had to remove and revert to OEM. Needed new tires too. Even with those expenses deducted from the trade end, I didn't lose much on the TTS.

The 991 Turbo S is no track car. It is a car to have fun with on the track but not something to do some serious track racing in. I'm also not sure why the driver would use Pagid racing pads with the PCCB brake because to my knowledge, the PCCB brake pads (this is the 3rd PCCB generation) need to be specifically developed for the PCCB brake discs. Not aware of new Pagids for the new PCCB generation but I may be wrong. There is more ceramic compound in the 3rd gen PCCB brake discs. 

What also makes me wonder a little bit: First 991 Turbo S appeared in the US a couple of weeks ago. How did he manage to do over 3000 miles in the car, especially if he was doing some serious tracking too? Another question is about the front splitter(?): The only way to damage is it to hit something. Maybe this guy should have gotten a driver ed training rather than a GT3. Just saying... Smiley

I loved the massive power of the TTS from very early on in the RPM range and of course, the Birmester could not be beat. Aesthetically, the extra wide body with the near horizontal flat fender look did not grow on me. Also, the rear of the car Sat way too high. The exhaust note sucked and I listened to all after market exhaust upgrades on Turbos (on the 997s) and while louder, none was pleasing. The main reason for trading it in was the track. Yes, fast as heck (very curious to see if the GT3 is as fast on our local track or not) but very heavy and didn't like getting tossed around much. The extra weight and the all wheel drive killed my from tires way too fast. I had to replace the outer front tire twice, in addition to a full set of tires after 5 or 6 track days.

It is Burmester, not Birmester but I suppose this was just a spelling mistake (which buyers of Burmester usually don't make but anyway...). "Didn't like to get tossed around much..." Is this guy serious? What the heck did he do with the car? Track racing is about a smooth and fastest line, not about compensating for rage. Smiley

While there appear to be no break-in period for the GT3, I didn't feel good tracking it today with 80 miles on it but am going this weekend. On the road, the GT3 is a hell of a machine. The PDK with no creep is different, in a great way. If you slowly feather the throttle from idle, it will sound and behave like you have the clutch halfway depressed for almost as long as you need to. If you need to move fast and hit the throttle accordingly, it will fully engage very quickly. Up to 3,500 RPM, the sound is Carrera like and gradually increases. I am only going to 7,000 for another 100 miles or so (200 already, been driving all day) and at this range, the car is starting to pull harder and gets louder. Way much better exhaust note than my 991 C4S with sport exhaust. The "fake" burble in the exhaust is not there which is a welcome finding. I drove with both suspension settings and in uneven roads, not comfortable. The soft setting feels like something in between soft and firm in the C4S, definitely something that I can live with.

The TTS was a great car but felt somewhat "synthetic". The 3 is refined raw (yes, am aware this is an oxymoron but this is the best descriptive I could think of). I m going for another ride and will check back later"

There is no synthetic feel about the TTS, the steering setup is even 10% more direct than on the GT3, surprise, surprise. I rather guess this guy couldn't handle the extra power and always had issues keeping it on the track. The N/A GT3 is much better in these regards, even if the 991 Turbo S PTM/AWS setup should make up for it.

I don't say the 991 Turbo S is the better track car than the GT3, it isn't, it is heavier and sooner or later, the extra weight takes a toll on brakes and tires. However, if you drive a clean line and aren't a jerk on the track, the tire and brake pads/discs wear can be kept under a lid. Unless of course some people WANT to drive like jerks, I know many who prefer a drift over a clean line to show off their "talent". Smiley In the end, these guys are usually faster than the majority of the bunch anyway (they have more experience, they take more risks, etc.), so they can afford doing these games without loosing face. For them this may be fun, for me, this would be pointless. It just costs a lot of money, it makes you slower and the risk is also higher. Unless of course money doesn't matter (for me, it does).

Bottom line is: We can discuss this all day long but whoever plans to spend more time on the track than on the road, should definitely get a GT3 and preferably with the normal brake (no PCCB). 

--

macca993:

Thanks Boxster Coupe for posting those. Much appreciated.

LOL! Some of the speeds we were doing were considerably quicker than they look. On the ESC test video for example. At one point there we are around 145kmph. It doesnt seem that fast by the way. My poor wife is used to co piloting in the 993. She did a 5 day Targa (tarmac Rally) last year in teh car - shes best with a book, a rally computer etc to take her mind of the road. The 993 is RS+ spec and it sounds much faster than it is compared to the new GT3. The new car had her all nervous because you can go from 75kmph to 190kmph in around 5 seconds! In the 993  that would be double the time. Essentially with the GT3 you could get yourself into a whole barrel of trouble between corners if you werent sensible. On one drive (not online!) deserted but damp roads up in the hills around Castellane I was able to repeatedly wring the car out between 75Km and 190kmph between corners on a relatively twisty road, braking again down to around 75Km. The corners were rates perhaps 35kmph and the limit 90kmph so it gives you some idea of the speed that can be carried.....its a fun car. manual control much more enjoyable than the auto function when pressing on IMHO.

Wow and some of the guys here are trying to lecture meSmiley Smiley

--

nberry:

Anyone know whether Porsche is selling more 991 TTs's than regular 991 TT's? No one seems to discuss or even review the 991TT. 

Because the 991 Turbo is a bad deal vs. the Turbo S? With the same options, the price difference is ridiculous, so why order a Turbo instead (unless you have to for tax reasons, whatever).

Btw: In a real life driving environment, the performance of both, the Turbo and Turbo S, is very very close, especially in the under 230 kph speed range. If someone cannot afford the Turbo S and he is happy with the basic options, the Turbo is quite a good deal, performance-wise.

--

I think that the only non-S Porsche sportscar that sells is the Boxster. Real entry level car.

--

"Form follows function"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688998 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408922 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255623 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234882 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65461 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4640 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857746 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773706 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM