Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 911 GT3 (991)

Guys, we already had some comparison runs 991 Turbo S (mine only) vs. GT3 and the GT3 wasn't even close. Only two different cars (GT3) but the differences were always huge, so don't get too excited. I really don't know how the italian car magazine came up with these numbers because they actually contradict everything I've read so far. Unless of course the car was in a very good shape but as far as I remember, the GT3 engines are quite steady in power output and to achieve these numbers, 500 hp wouldn't be enough, despite the lower weight of the GT3.

Btw: Autozeitung tested the GT3 at 0-100 kph in 3.3 seconds and 0-200 kph in 10.9 seconds, which are amazing results and the best results I ever saw in a German publication. AMS tested the GT3 in 3.6 and 12.1 seconds. In the same Autozeitung test (comparison), they tested the 991 Turbo S at 2.9 seconds and 0-200 kph in 9.6 seconds.

The GT3 did 100 to 200 kph in 7.6 seconds, while the Turbo S did 100 to 200 kph in 6.7 seconds (just for comparison, I measured mine at an average of 6.41 seconds with the performance box).

In the upper speed range over 200 kph, the GT3 is not even close to the Turbo S. Over 240 kph, the Turbo S builds full boost pressure almost up to Vmax. 

According to rumors (I haven't seen any values yet), the 991 GT3 is slightly slower up to 300 kph than the 997 GT3 RS 4.0. So I guess the GT3 is somewhere around 42-43 seconds from 0-300 kph. Autobild Sportscars tested the Turbo S at  29.7 seconds, Sportauto at 31 or so as far as I remember. So there would be at least a 10 seconds gap between the GT3 and the Turbo S up to 300 kph. Based on these values, the 0-1000 m performance claim of the italian magazine seems quite confusing. For example: after 400 m (quarter mile), the Turbo S already hits 210-220 kph. So now imagine the speed after 1000 m. This is why these results in the italian magazine are impossible.

Also take the 0-400 m (quarter mile) time: The italian magazine stopped the Turbo S at over 11 seconds but there are already two videos on the internet which show a time of around 10.4 seconds, even the Turbo (non-S) does the quarter mile under 11 seconds. Something is wrong in this test.

Please don't misunderstand me, the GT3 is an amazing performer and in my opinion the best performance/value offer in the 911 family from Porsche. I just don't want people to get over-excited. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Agree with RC, its impossible that gt3 would be faster than turbo. Otherwise it is simply no sense to make turbo version...

--

sportcars-history.com

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

I also don't think this result is impossible. No reason for them to tamper with it. It is however an extreme outcome. We all know not all cars coming out of the factory are identical. This seems to be a case of a good GT3 and a very poor Turbo S. Pity they did not put them on the dyna as far as I am aware but I suspect the GT3 made around 500bhp and the Turbo S around 530bhp. As stated before after the slow SA test of the GT3 - you can't draw conclusions on a sample of one!! Based on what I have seen so far if you were to test a 100 or so different ones the average GT3 speed at the end of the 1000m would be around 252km/h and the average Turbo S speed would be around 265km/h. The Turbo S would therefore be faster in the vast majority of instances - but if you get a good GT3 and a very poor Turbo S it can and it did happen! At the other end of the scale if you get a very good Turbo S and a poor GT3 the GT3 will do 245km/h at the end of the kilo and the Turbo S could well do 270km/h!

Caymanisking:

I also don't think this result is impossible. No reason for them to tamper with it. It is however an extreme outcome. We all know not all cars coming out of the factory are identical. This seems to be a case of a good GT3 and a very poor Turbo S. Pity they did not put them on the dyna as far as I am aware but I suspect the GT3 made around 500bhp and the Turbo S around 530bhp. As stated before after the slow SA test of the GT3 - you can't draw conclusions on a sample of one!! Based on what I have seen so far if you were to test a 100 or so different ones the average GT3 speed at the end of the 1000m would be around 252km/h and the average Turbo S speed would be around 265km/h. The Turbo S would therefore be faster in the vast majority of instances - but if you get a good GT3 and a very poor Turbo S it can and it did happen! At the other end of the scale if you get a very good Turbo S and a poor GT3 the GT3 will do 245km/h at the end of the kilo and the Turbo S could well do 270km/h!

I basically agree with the above. Obviously some of the Turbo S figures are off but others are not.

RC - your Turbo maintains its overboost over 250kmh, which IMO is not normal. Therefore, I can't use your results as THE final word.

The Italian magazine's 1/4 mile time is just .3s off the best time I've seen - RC's time of 10.4 would require a good shot of nitros. Smiley In addition, the Turbo S best trap speed I've seen is 128mph or 204.8kmh - not 220 as RC suggested, which is that of a fast motorcycle!!! The magazine's trap speed was 200.1kmh - not far off at all.

While the 1000 metre time seems fine, the trap speed is only 251.6kmh, while the GT3's was 255.4? BUT, to say that a good example of a TurboS would reach 270kmh is ridiculous - the F12 reaches 280 with over 700hp.

Basically, while this GT3 was obviously a good example, I still think Porsche did a fine job with the 991 version. At the end of the day, I wouldn't buy a car just based on test results anyway. It must be something I would enjoy driving at ANY speed, just listening to its engine and feeling totally connected to it. Otherwise I would get bored with it very quickly. 

I don't believe anyone is claiming that the GT3 is faster than the TTS in straight line performance. That is all about hp. The TTS has almost 100hp more than the GT3 (those that claim that the GT3 is closer to 500 I could say the same about the TTS which probably is closer to 600Smiley). NO skill required; just press the throttle and see how fast it can go.

The GT3 is all about driver skill and maximizing performance on various types of tracks.Smiley

according to this test the gt3 goes from 180 to 201.5 in 2,27s and the turbo S goes from 180 to 200.1 in 2.32s. also at 100km/h the gt3 is 6 meters behind, then by 180 its 2 meters behind, so its catching up to a turbo S? i dont think so.

either the turbo numbers have been screwed up by mistake or this turbo broke after 200 meters, there is no way a 991 turbo S is this slow especially in the km run. we all know that the S  is just slightly slower than a 12c and the old 12c did the standing km in 19.1s at 272km/h!!, there is no way the turbo is 20km/h slower. this cannot be explained by normal car variance, the car is either broken/heat soaked or the numbers are screwed up by accident.

--

2011 CTT, 2013 12C Spider, 2013 A5 cab, 2014 4Runner Trail Edition

nberry:

I don't believe anyone is claiming that the GT3 is faster than the TTS in straight line performance. That is all about hp.

The TTS has almost 100hp more than the GT3 (those that claim that the GT3 is closer to 500 I could say the same about the TTS which probably is closer to 600Smiley). NO skill required; 

You could say that, but of course you would be wrong.

Andreas was quite open that the GT3 was delivering close to 500bhp.  No similar claim has been made for the Turbo S.p, to suggest that 560bhp is not the correct number.

Then factor in the significantly lighter weight at shorter gearing of the GT3 and the results aren't that surprising.

However, in day to day driving (not on a track) then for most drivers the Turbo S will be substantially faster!

kudryavchik:

Agree with RC, its impossible that gt3 would be faster than turbo. Otherwise it is simply no sense to make turbo version...

Clearly not impossible when you look at all the relevant figures!

sidicks:
    kudryavchik:

Correct. Cannot understand all the denial...

1. We know the GT3 is faster than the McLaren:

http://youtu.be/ocSjiJbevaU

2. And we know the Turbo S is slower than the McLaren:

http://youtu.be/JyPLNtdqpJ8

The proof is in the Xmas pudding :)

boytronic:
    sidicks:
    kudryavchik:

Correct. Cannot understand all the denial...

1. We know the GT3 is faster than the McLaren:

http://youtu.be/ocSjiJbevaU

2. And we know the Turbo S is slower than the McLaren:

http://youtu.be/JyPLNtdqpJ8

The proof is in the Xmas pudding :)

you'r funny, we are talking straight line acceleration here not track performance. btw the EVO test has the gt3 on semi slicks while the 12c was on regular pzeros, that was a whole other discussion weeks ago that you probably missed. on track, the gt3 might as well be the fastest of the 3, which i doubt very much, but here we are doubting the straight line acceleration of the "turbo", not the gt3. the gt3 seems to be running fine, the S is broken or there is a mistake somewhere.

--

2011 CTT, 2013 12C Spider, 2013 A5 cab, 2014 4Runner Trail Edition

Thanks AAHTT... Let's hope Santa brings the owner some new Turbos :)

AAHTT:
     on track, the gt3 might as well be the fastest of the 3, which i doubt very much, but here we are doubting the straight line acceleration of the "turbo", not the gt3. the gt3 seems to be running fine, the S is broken or there is a mistake somewhere

No mistake, just a function of power, weight and gearing - it shouldn't be a surprise that for some increments in some gears, the GT3 will be quicker.

Overall, of course, the Turbo S will accelerate quicker.

Which is exactly what the data shows!

What fuel was used for the test? if both (GT3 and Turbo S) ran on 95 RON (instead of 98 RON) then the Turbo performance would be more severely affected by the fuel quality therefore providing a partial explanation. Don't forget in Italy you don't find premium fuels at every gas station. 

--

911 Club Coupe, 993 4S Riviera Blau, 12' Audi S4 Avant

m4ever:

What fuel was used for the test? if both (GT3 and Turbo S) ran on 95 RON (instead of 98 RON) then the Turbo performance would be more severely affected by the fuel quality therefore providing a partial explanation. Don't forget in Italy you don't find premium fuels at every gas station. 

The GT3 has very high compression and would also be severely limited with less than optimum octane (major timing retardation by ECU).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

sidicks:
    kudryavchik:

I hate to repeat myself but it is impossible. That magazine messed up some figures or the cars weren't OK (GT3 too powerful or the Turbo S had issues). Or they simply didn't use calibrated measuring equipment which can be sometimes off, especially if they use two different devices on two different cars.

We can discuss this all day long but the results are impossible. They contradict everything published til now AND a real life experience with two different GT3 (one factory car, one customer car). The difference was huge, this is why I say the results are impossible. If the difference would have been close, the results may have been credible.

I think it is useless to discuss the ifs and hows right now. There will be more GT3 on the street sooner or later, next spring, next summer and of course Turbo S cars too. Then, you will see many YouTube videos and other stuff and of course you will experience it for yourself. The 991 GT3 is fast but not that fast. It cannot outrun the 997 GT3 RS 4.0 (straight line) but it is at par with this car, which is quite impressive in my book.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
    sidicks:
    kudryavchik:

I hate to repeat myself but it is impossible. That magazine messed up some figures or the cars weren't OK (GT3 too powerful or the Turbo S had issues). Or they simply didn't use calibrated measuring equipment which can be sometimes off, especially if they use two different devices on two different cars.

We can discuss this all day long but the results are impossible. They contradict everything published til now AND a real life experience with two different GT3 (one factory car, one customer car). The difference was huge, this is why I say the results are impossible. If the difference would have been close, the results may have been credible.

I think it is useless to discuss the ifs and hows right now. There will be more GT3 on the street sooner or later, next spring, next summer and of course Turbo S cars too. Then, you will see many YouTube videos and other stuff and of course you will experience it for yourself. The 991 GT3 is fast but not that fast. It cannot outrun the 997 GT3 RS 4.0 (straight line) but it is at par with this car, which is quite impressive in my book.

--

You keep saying 'this is impossible' (presumably because you are trying to 'defend' your Turbo S)?!

However from what we know about power, torque, weight, gearing etc, clearly it is not impossible - indeed it is actually not surprising that for some increments, the GT3 is slightly faster.

:(

nberry:

I don't believe anyone is claiming that the GT3 is faster than the TTS in straight line performance. That is all about hp. The TTS has almost 100hp more than the GT3 (those that claim that the GT3 is closer to 500 I could say the same about the TTS which probably is closer to 600Smiley). NO skill required; just press the throttle and see how fast it can go.

Nick, I hope you are joking. The 991 Turbo S is easier to drive at the limit than the GT3 indeed but you can crash it as easily as the GT3 if you have the lack of necessary skills. I think you are confusing a couple of things here. Every sports car requires a certain amount of driving skills but to achieve the last 10-20% of possible performance, the skills need to be better than average. Only a few can actually get at the limit of the 991 Turbo S or the GT3 and no, making the tires squeal or doing a drift does not mean that you are driving at the limit of the car. Smiley

The GT3 is all about driver skill and maximizing performance on various types of tracks.Smiley

The GT3 is about having fun. If you want something to challenge driver skills, take a Cayenne Turbo S to the track and initiate a drift at 70-80 mph. Smiley  Smiley I get it, you want to use the GT3 to improve your driving skills but driving skills are never related to certain cars but to individuals. You can learn driving skills in a Ford Mustang GT and probably much better than in a refined 991 GT3 where you experience excellence in technology and setup.

Now I get why you don't get the "safe 200+ mph driving" thing. Smiley

--

sidicks:

You keep saying 'this is impossible' (presumably because you are trying to 'defend' your Turbo S)?!

However from what we know about power, torque, weight, gearing etc, clearly it is not impossible - indeed it is actually not surprising that for some increments, the GT3 is slightly faster.

:(

I don't have to defend anything (I'm not a Porsche sales person). I'm just trying to put things into perspective and while the GT3 is a wonderful product from Porsche, it isn't even close to 991 Turbo S straight line performance.

On the track, things look different...unless the 991 Turbo S uses UHP tires like the GT3. Then, the 991 Turbo S is actually slightly faster and this is no joke.

We can discuss this italian test all day long but I actually experienced a direct "confrontation" with two GT3 and the difference was so huge that even discussing a possibility of being "close" makes me actually mad. Unless of course you would assume that these two GT3 were slower by purpose and my 991 Turbo S is faster than other Turbo S (which we haven't tried yet). Again: The difference was so huge, the faster we were going, the larger the gap between the cars. So the results of the italian magazine sounds nice and everything but they cannot be accurate. Unless there was something wrong with one of the cars, in a positive or in a negative way. Fuel quality could have been an issue too but I guess car journalists aren't that dumb not to use the right fuel. I rather suspect two different measurement devices which weren't (properly) calibrated.

--

RC

I don't have to defend anything (I'm not a Porsche sales person). I'm just trying to put things into perspective and while the GT3 is a wonderful product from Porsche, it isn't even close to 991 Turbo S straight line performance

We can discuss this italian test all day long but I actually experienced a direct "confrontation" with two GT3 and the difference was so huge that even discussing a possibility of being "close" makes me actually mad. Unless of course you would assume that these two GT3 were slower by purpose and my 991 Turbo S is faster than other Turbo S (which we haven't tried yet). Again: The difference was so huge, the faster we were going, the larger the gap between the cars. So the results of the italian magazine sounds nice and everything but they cannot be accurate. Unless there was something wrong with one of the cars, in a positive or in a negative way. Fuel quality could have been an issue too but I guess car journalists aren't that dumb not to use the right fuel. I rather suspect two different measurement devices which weren't (properly) calibrated.

1.  Looking at the gearing and respective power-to-weight ratios, to suggest that the GT3 would not be fairly close to the a Turbo S is clearly wrong - unless you can make a logical explanation?

2.  The fact that you have had a simplistic test with there being a significant difference between the two cars (contrary to rationale explanation given the figures) suggests that one of the cars in your test was out of the ordinary.

I do like the the way you suggest a respected motoring magazine with calibrated equipment must be wrong but you must be right, not the other way around...!!

All the reviews so far put the Turbo S always ahead of the GT3. Some more, some less but always a huge difference. My personal experience is similar. Now comes ONE car magazine and suddenly everything has changed? Yeah, right. broken heart wink

P.S.: Usually, I am right. indecision

--

Latest update for the "Italian Fiasco" - kidding....

Just downloaded the latest digital edition of another Italian publication called Automobilismo - you guys owe me $3.99. 

Well, they appear to have tested the same Turbo S - same license plate. No comparison here, just the S. I'm writing about it on this GT3 thread due to the controversial nature of the results. Please don't shoot the messenger.

Their findings are just about the same as the other magazine's. Trap speeds for the 1/4 mile and standing kilometer are slightly better, even with slightly "worse" times - 11.15s/204kph & 20.45s/253.9kph. 

Obviously, Porsche Italia has only one Turbo S for journalists. Would they not ensure the car is in proper working order before handing it over to someone else - especially if the results were less than ideal? Top speeds were identical and on spec (317.1avg) -  if hp was down due to a worn engine/turbos, you could be sure top speed would be down as well. But it was the same for both tests!!

Some here believe a "normal" Turbo S is capable of performance figures far better than published by Porsche - I don't. Look, the BEST figures I could find for the CGT were 19.4 s/266kph standing kilometer. Some were slower. Believe what you will....

Bottom line - the new GT3 is faster than my old 997.1 Turbo. Obviously it isn't faster than the Turbo S, but not bad for a naturally aspirated engine. Only 2kph slower in top speed.

RC:

All the reviews so far put the Turbo S always ahead of the GT3. Some more, some less but always a huge difference. My personal experience is similar. Now comes ONE car magazine and suddenly everything has changed? Yeah, right. broken heart wink

P.S.: Usually, I am right. indecision

I'll ask you the same question again, as you ducked it the first time - why should the GT3 (which has a similar power-to-weight ratio and SHORTER gearing) not match or beat the Turbo S for certain increments.

Accepting that overall the Turbo S will be quicker...?

Smiley

How much difference is there between the two cars on the Nurburgring..is that a "huge difference"??

Christian, the Gt3 is a drivers car and the TTS is a very fast salon. Don't forget I owed a 997.2TT and I know how it drives.Smiley

Regarding your 200 mph comment, I wish you the "BEST OF LUCK" while at that speed.Smiley

This Italian Turbo S certainly seems to be below par - especially with higher speed accelleration.

To say that the GT3 was too good does seem a bit anti-GT3 though. This test is very much in line with other tests like Autozeitung, Car and Driver and probably the most credible of them all - Porsche's own figures. Certainly not the fastest to date. It does seem as if like the Italian Turbo S there was a sub par GT3 doing the rounds in Germany. The Sport Auto test looks more and more like an outlier unless the extra passenger that they carry on the acceleration tests is a sumo wrestler. :-) To say that you won't see the Turbo S from the GT3 is also an overstatement - I have not seen trap speeds from Porsche but based on tests so far the Turbo S would be around 5km/h faster at the end of 400m and 12km/h faster at the end of the kilo - faster but not on a different planet!

As far as track performance goes - to keep on saying that you must fit UHP tyres to the Turbo S to compare lap times is like saying you must fit a turbo the the GT3 to compare accelleration! Cars must be compared as they come of the dealer floor. GT3 owners are willing to give up a bit of all weather ability for track performance and likewise Turbo S owners give up a bit of track performance for all weather ability. Apart from the SA exception the GT3 seems to be marginally faster on track than the Turbo S on most tracks and this also ties up with figures from Porsche themselves  - who as stated before has done the most laps in the most examples of these cars.

Caymanisking:

This Italian Turbo S certainly seems to be below par - especially with higher speed accelleration.

To say that the GT3 was too good does seem a bit anti-GT3 though. This test is very much in line with other tests like Autozeitung, Car and Driver and probably the most credible of them all - Porsche's own figures. Certainly not the fastest to date. It does seem as if like the Italian Turbo S there was a sub par GT3 doing the rounds in Germany. The Sport Auto test looks more and more like an outlier unless the extra passenger that they carry on the acceleration tests is a sumo wrestler. :-) To say that you won't see the Turbo S from the GT3 is also an overstatement - I have not seen trap speeds from Porsche but based on tests so far the Turbo S would be around 5km/h faster at the end of 400m and 12km/h faster at the end of the kilo - faster but not on a different planet!

As far as track performance goes - to keep on saying that you must fit UHP tyres to the Turbo S to compare lap times is like saying you must fit a turbo the the GT3 to compare accelleration! Cars must be compared as they come of the dealer floor. GT3 owners are willing to give up a bit of all weather ability for track performance and likewise Turbo S owners give up a bit of track performance for all weather ability. Apart from the SA exception the GT3 seems to be marginally faster on track than the Turbo S on most tracks and this also ties up with figures from Porsche themselves  - who as stated before has done the most laps in the most examples of these cars.

Smiley

Actually it seems to be a mix of both: The GT3 was too good, the Turbo S not really up to it's game but I still think that something was wrong with the testing equipment and/or calibration. Not many car magazines take the measurements very seriously and only those working with data logging equipment know how important it is to keep everything calibrated and working to specs. Also it can't be excluded that fuel quality wasn't OK or the car itself, no matter if it was running too well or too bad.

Nobody tries to bash the GT3 here. enlightened

--

nberry:

Christian, the Gt3 is a drivers car and the TTS is a very fast salon. Don't forget I owed a 997.2TT and I know how it drives.Smiley

Regarding your 200 mph comment, I wish you the "BEST OF LUCK" while at that speed.Smiley

Nick, now I really can't take you seriously anymore. I just wish we could meet somewhere and you'd be very surprised. With the same tires, the Turbo S annihilates the GT3 on the track but I guess this is something you don't want to hear. Smiley

--

sidicks:
    Why should the GT3 (which has a similar power-to-weight ratio and SHORTER gearing) not match or beat the Turbo S for certain increments.

Accepting that overall the Turbo S will be quicker...

Smiley

RC:
    nberry:

Nick, now I really can't take you seriously anymore. I just wish we could meet somewhere and you'd be very surprised. With the same tires, the Turbo S annihilates the GT3 on the track but I guess this is something you don't want to hear. Smiley

"Annihilate"??  With the same driver??  I think not!

i am sure that an inexperienced driver would be much faster in the Turbo S, but that's quite different!

Plus of course the Turbo doesn't come with the same tyres as the GT3.

And the GT3 would be faster is you strapped a Turbo to it!!

Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689721 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409332 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255795 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235020 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65547 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858088 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774160 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM