Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 911 GT3 (991)

The clear rear lenses are growing on me....

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive MSport & 2012 x5 - TurboS Cab on Order Mar14. Range Rover V8 on order June14

Thanks RC.

France requires no winter tyres and in Italt we are driving only on road which winter tyres are not mandatory so our insurance is intact for the entire journey. We will not be driving in Germany with the car.

For Genoa we will drive directly from Cap du ferrat in one drive along the Italian Riviera (San Remo etc) probably a distance of 300km. I think we will book the Ferry (&pm loading and 11pm departure) and that day leave Nice area around 10am and enjoy a leisurely drive to Genoa getting there  just in time to place the car on the boat. Hopefully its not snowing!

The long range forecast Im using  indicates that currently there is a cold snap but up until last week the weather was good for November and that in two weeks time it looks like it will be a little milder than now. Can anyone suggest a reliable site for weather for Europe?

Thanks for those direction guys!

No not relation with Sicily other than the fact that many Kiwi soldiers helped liberate Italy after the war and the two nations have a close affinity. Infact many Sicilians settles in Australia after the war. We love Italy and try and get there every 5 years. My wife and I drive Targa in NZ and NZ has some of the longest and fastest/hardest Targas now in the world along with Australia's Targa Tasmania. We have booked a ex Targa Florio race driver guide to show me the Targa Florio route and will spend a few days driving that and also some of the best hill roads for driving. I dont think we will be staying in Palmero.

When we return to Zurich we ship the car to NZ. It will arrive in March when we have a 6000km tour organised with a group of 12 9211 owners to go to the South Island of New Zealand and spend a day on each of the four race tracks there. It will be summer and fun. Along with the 20th Anniversary Targa NZ in 2014 that car will have done 15,000km by Xmas and none of it daily driving!

macca993:

For Genoa we will drive directly from Cap du ferrat in one drive along the Italian Riviera (San Remo etc) probably a distance of 300km. I think we will book the Ferry (&pm loading and 11pm departure) and that day leave Nice area around 10am and enjoy a leisurely drive to Genoa getting there  just in time to place the car on the boat. Hopefully its not snowing!

At this time it might be difficult to cross the Alps with a GT3 without winter-tires. There might be snow on the road. Even if you take all the tunnels, there is a chance to meet snow or or ice on the road. Please be aware that Nice or Genova are in direct vicinity of the Alpes-Maritimes. If there is a day without snow, then you should try to cross the Alps in one day and arrive at the mediteranian before 4 p.m. 

Last but not least you should be aware that a GT3 is not sealed enough for winter-driving on "salted"-roads. 

macca993:

... We have booked a ex Targa Florio race driver guide to show me the Targa Florio route and will spend a few days driving that and also some of the best hill roads for driving. ...

When we return to Zurich we ship the car to NZ. It will arrive in March when we have a 6000km tour organised with a group of 12 9211 owners to go to the South Island of New Zealand and spend a day on each of the four race tracks there. It will be summer and fun. Along with the 20th Anniversary Targa NZ in 2014 that car will have done 15,000km by Xmas and none of it daily driving!

Have some friends in Sicily, but never got around to driving the route. You'll be using the car the way it is intended! Cheers to that.

DuckieRS:
     but never got around to driving the route.

If you are in Sicily, you should drive at least one lap on il circuito de madonie, it is really worth it, in whatever car you drive.  But be aware of the bumps the track now has.

Thanks Vevesse. Although the alp route is the most direct I think it may also be the most uncertain due to snow. The route I currently have planned looks more like the one attached. Im open to suggestions. Maybe this route is also possible to be in snow in Dec?

Regards the salt I am hoping we wont spend to much time on salted roads, however we will make sure we give the underside of the car a good clean before export and of course in New Zealand we do not use salt so it will not become an issue after that. Im sure these are very tough cars as were the 964RS, 993RS and 996GT3 which I have owned before.

If anyone can help with advising on this map I would appreciate it. It has some great driving roads like the M6202. The distance from Zurich this way is under 800km but because of teh very windy nature of the roads takes 10 hours. If I were to stop mid route could someone suggest a place worth stopping and staying in the Chambery or Grenoble region or would it be best to stay in Geneva and push on form there?

zurich to Nice.JPG

joHey:

Hello ,

One of my friend received his 991 GT3 last saturday.
    He promised me a ride this week or the next one , I can't wait :) !

Lovely. Red ones are the fastest Smiley

--

Porsche 911 GT3 - Guards Red 997 MKII Clubsport

Smiley

It's also the first one in France !

EnglishManInNY:

The clear rear lenses are growing on me....

They do look pretty great on this red car. 

Gauss:
    joHey:

Hello ,

One of my friend received his 991 GT3 last saturday.
    He promised me a ride this week or the next one , I can't wait :) !

Lovely. Red ones are the fastest Smiley

I like that the LED lights look dark in this picture!!!

--

2011 Porsche 911 [997.2] Carrera 4S (Platinum Silver) {Sold}
    2013 Porsche Panamera GTS [970.1] (Basalt Black)
    2013 Porsche 911 [991.1] Carrera S (GT Silver)
    2014 Porsche 911 [991.1] GT3 (Agate Grey) {Delivery date: December 2013}

“The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively” ― Bob Marley

macca993:

Thanks Vevesse. Although the alp route is the most direct I think it may also be the most uncertain due to snow. The route I currently have planned looks more like the one attached. Im open to suggestions. Maybe this route is also possible to be in snow in Dec?

macca993 : The best weather forecast application is Weather Pro . I have been using it in different parts of CH, F, D, SA, and it is pretty precise  ( comparing often with the national weather forecasts ) 

BUT : There is no way you can know two weeks in advance what the weather will be like . These long term forecast are just a wage tendency . Max 5 days in advance is accurate , everything after that is guessing when planning the weather in the alps and around .

I would make my final decision 2 days before the actual trip .

I would NOT go through the route you have posted , unless it is very sure that there is no snow . Check the weather the days before. If there had been snow falls , don't go this way with semi-slicks .  If it has been dry for at least 2or 4 days with temperatures above 0 degrees , then you may try it . It is scenery and pretty, but not a route we would take in winter ….. even in summer we would prefer the head quickly down to the coast.

To be safe, stick to the highways  and take this route if you want to go through France , or if there is a slight chance of snow fall : ( this will take you 8h20 , 895 km )  You can stop for the night in Geneva if you want a break, or you could go to Lyon if you want to visit a bit as the old town is pretty ( stick to the center and get a hotel with secured parking )13855363992141.tiff

The ' fastest ' route from Zurich would actually be the following one  ( 590 km , 6h10 ) . But then you will be driving twice the same route on the Italian - French coast .  But, if the forecast in Switzerland shows snow above 800 m , you will be in trouble crossing the St-Gotthard tunnel , as there will probably be snow on the road a few km before the entry of the tunnel, going uphill .

13855368379872.tiff

I hope this helps.

Enjoy your great drive !

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

As Gnil points out correctly the route via his region and france makes sence - Although I prefer still to go over St. Gotthard tunnel (very busy road and unless it snows - one of the first roads they make sure it's clear to get the lorries over to the italian side) then via Milano down on the A26 to the coastline towards Cap Ferrat.

Gnil:
    macca993:

macca993 : The best weather forecast application is Weather Pro . I have been using it in different parts of CH, F, D, SA, and it is pretty precise  ( comparing often with the national weather forecasts ) 

BUT : There is no way you can know two weeks in advance what the weather will be like . These long term forecast are just a wage tendency . Max 5 days in advance is accurate , everything after that is guessing when planning the weather in the alps and around .

I would make my final decision 2 days before the actual trip .

I would NOT go through the route you have posted , unless it is very sure that there is no snow . Check the weather the days before. If there had been snow falls , don't go this way with semi-slicks .  If it has been dry for at least 2or 4 days with temperatures above 0 degrees , then you may try it . It is scenery and pretty, but not a route we would take in winter ….. even in summer we would prefer the head quickly down to the coast.

To be safe, stick to the highways  and take this route if you want to go through France , or if there is a slight chance of snow fall : ( this will take you 8h20 , 895 km )  You can stop for the night in Geneva if you want a break, or you could go to Lyon if you want to visit a bit as the old town is pretty ( stick to the center and get a hotel with secured parking )13855363992141.tiff

The ' fastest ' route from Zurich would actually be the following one  ( 590 km , 6h10 ) . But then you will be driving twice the same route on the Italian - French coast .  But, if the forecast in Switzerland shows snow above 800 m , you will be in trouble crossing the St-Gotthard tunnel , as there will probably be snow on the road a few km before the entry of the tunnel, going uphill .

13855368379872.tiff

I hope this helps.

Enjoy your great drive !

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Very good and accurate information. BRAVO. Smiley

Btw: I am using Weather Pro too (Meteogroup Europe), amazing accuracy (compared to other apps).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

OK, guys...here are some rumors for our GT3 RS friends:

- 500 hp (3.8 or 4.0 l DFI engine)

- 991 Turbo body

- weight substantially lower than GT3 (not sure what "substantially" means but I heard something about 30-60 kg less)

- CF roof

- Base price around 176-179k EUR (incl. 19% VAT)

- no AWS (all-wheel-steering) due to homologation issues

- availability May/June 2014

There is also a strong rumor that the RS may not get the PDK we know from the GT3 but the rumors are a bit confusing and may even indicate some sort of sequential gearbox instead (which I highly doubt). The "no AWS" thing however seems to be quite sure, which is a big surprise for me.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Gentlemen you have been more than a little helpful to this guy on the other side of the planet! Thanks you so much for the advice, weather APP recommendation and tips....

RC:

OK, guys...here are some rumors for our GT3 RS friends:

- 500 hp (3.8 or 4.0 l DFI engine)

- 991 Turbo body

- weight substantially lower than GT3 (not sure what "substantially" means but I heard something about 30-60 kg less)

- CF roof

- Base price around 176-179k EUR (incl. 19% VAT)

- no AWS (all-wheel-steering) due to homologation issues

- availability May/June 2014

There is also a strong rumor that the RS may not get the PDK we know from the GT3 but the rumors are a bit confusing and may even indicate some sort of sequential gearbox instead (which I highly doubt). The "no AWS" thing however seems to be quite sure, which is a big surprise for me.

--

Good,same info i posted last month..so it seems they are true.SmileySmiley

no we need some hint on colours available...Smiley

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

I am puzzled at the idea of no AWS , as it seems to work so well on the TTS and GT3 . The RS will then have to find another way to gain performance with the chassis  . How is it going to be ? Or will just more HP and less weight be enough ?  

Does anyone think AWS  does actually not bring that much benefits ?

The weight gain hopefully will be closer to 60 kg  , as 30 kg would be a joke .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I agree with you 100%. Plus the RS wold have to justify the hefty premium of approx. € 40K over and above the base GT3.

The RS serves as the RSR GTE homologation car (or will serve). There is no AWS allowed in the ACO/FiA regulations.

I also forgot to mention that my "source" told me that the new 991 GT3 RS will be a great track car but not so great for public streets for various reasons, much less than the previous RS models. He would recommend the 991 GT3 instead. Just forwarding what he said... He isn't a fan of the RS though, so take it with a grain of salt (I hope I didn't say anything wrong now indecision).

--

RC:

I also forgot to mention that my "source" told me that the new 991 GT3 RS will be a great track car but not so great for public streets for various reasons, 

ok...i will drive it slow,but at least i hope it will looks stunning...hahahaSmiley

SmileySmiley

Smiley

--

Spyderidol:

The RS serves as the RSR GTE homologation car (or will serve). There is no AWS allowed in the ACO/FiA regulations.

Right..in fact my source tell me NO AWS only due to racing homologation

--

very sad that they obvioulsy cannot come up with something RS worthy - they should have a 550hp engine screaming to 10000 rpm or make it 1199 kgs with ridiculous expensive materials - but make it massively different - to be different by deleting stuff they just marketed as a "innovation" (4wheelsteering etc) is just crazy. Even if they make a manual version I would struggle to see why I should buy it with 500hp. Maybe it's really better to wait for a GT2 yes

BjoernB:

very sad that they obvioulsy cannot come up with something RS worthy - they should have a 550hp engine screaming to 10000 rpm or make it 1199 kgs with ridiculous expensive materials - but make it massively different - to be different by deleting stuff they just marketed as a "innovation" (4wheelsteering etc) is just crazy. Even if they make a manual version I would struggle to see why I should buy it with 500hp. Maybe it's really better to wait for a GT2 yes

It is important to remember that the RS is the homologation car for the RSR GTE. Therefore it is limited in what materials and technologies that it can use, and it makes no sense to have the car go much over 500bhp. It would need to be strangled to near death (BOP) in order for it to be balanced with the rest of the field.

I can confirm RC rumor.

No RWS.

Also, I heard no PDK. Some kind of sequential manual. What a stupid decision IMHO(of course IF it is true).

My P source told me "special gearbox, 991GT3 RS is mainly tuned for track driving". He also said if someone is planning to only occasionally drive on track to stick with 991 GT3.

KresoF1:

I can confirm RC rumor.

No RWS.

Also, I heard no PDK. Some kind of sequential manual. What a stupid decision IMHO(of course IF it is true).

My P source told me "special gearbox, 991GT3 RS is mainly tuned for track driving". He also said if someone is planning to only occasionally drive on track to stick with 991 GT3.

seems to be the "something special" thing i'm looking for...Smiley

--

I would think very, very hard about it especially about sequential manual(IF it is true).

For example I could accept real manual in 991 GT3 RS as true sportscar for die hard manual fans.

BUT, I would never buy a car with sequential manual again. Test drive 430 Scud and you will see what I am talking about...

Also, how would die hard manual GT3 fans react to sequenatial manual without clutch pedal?

I am by no means an expert when it comes to transmissions, but isn't a sequential gearbox much more delicate, with higher wearout, than a conventional transmission or PDK? What about frequent service intervals ? 

--

Porsche 911 GT3 - Guards Red 997 MKII Clubsport

Gauss:

I am by no means an expert when it comes to transmissions, but isn't a sequential gearbox much more delicate, with higher wearout, than a conventional transmission or PDK? What about frequent service intervals ? 

If you drive for example 430 Scud on the track mostly you will get normal to high clutch wearout. If you drive it in the town with lot of stop and go situations you will get high to very high clutch wearout.

IF rumors are true(I am still little bit sceptical) then apparently Porsche made a clear decision why to use sequential manual in 991 GT3 RS-motorsport connection  and to please manual fans that barked pretty loud about PDK in normal 991 GT3.

BUT, how will those manual GT3 fans react to sequential manual? I am more then interested...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690681 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409896 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256093 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235344 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65726 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858614 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774845 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM