Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 911 GT3 (991)

Grant:

Really disappointed at how poor the little Alfa seems heart

Why are you surprise?  Fiat group, especially Alfa-Romeo, is living off its mystic, and there is a significant disconnect between that image and the real world.  Fiat, separate from Ferrari, and one could possible include Maserati, is struggling to produce world-class product with associated levels of profitability.  See, for example, the flubbed Chrysler launches, Dodge Dart and Jeep Cherokee, under Fiat's guidance. 

Grant:

Really disappointed at how poor the little Alfa seems heart

Alfa is only a rebadged Fiat...tell all.Smiley

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

Grant:

The GT3 has about 50% more torque than a Formula One car.  Like an F1 car, the really high redline allows lots of torque to the wheels (ever see an F1 car leave the pits? - no problem spinning the huge slicks with only ~ 200 ft-lbs of torque).  This is due to the lower (absolute) gearing made possible by the high redline.  Gears are torque multipliers, so GT3 puts lots of torque to the ground.  Yes, you need to rev it (if you don't like this buy a Turbo or a large displacement V8, 10 , or 12), but the new gearing allows this at nearly any speed in nearly any situation.

Comparing a GT3 to a Carrera at low revs is silly.  Do you know that an F1 car idles at 6k rpm?  You need to drive the GT3 like a racecar to get 100% of its capabilities (that's why enthusiasts like them).  At low revs, it is quiet and civilized - best of both worlds.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Wow! Grant, you opened my eyes regarding gearing and torque. Great explanation.kiss

nberry:
    Grant:

The GT3 has about 50% more torque than a Formula One car.  Like an F1 car, the really high redline allows lots of torque to the wheels (ever see an F1 car leave the pits? - no problem spinning the huge slicks with only ~ 200 ft-lbs of torque).  This is due to the lower (absolute) gearing made possible by the high redline.  Gears are torque multipliers, so GT3 puts lots of torque to the ground.  Yes, you need to rev it (if you don't like this buy a Turbo or a large displacement V8, 10 , or 12), but the new gearing allows this at nearly any speed in nearly any situation.

Comparing a GT3 to a Carrera at low revs is silly.  Do you know that an F1 car idles at 6k rpm?  You need to drive the GT3 like a racecar to get 100% of its capabilities (that's why enthusiasts like them).  At low revs, it is quiet and civilized - best of both worlds.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Wow! Grant, you opened my eyes regarding gearing and torque. Great explanation.kiss

+1

Thanks, Grant Smiley

--

Porsche 911 GT3 - Guards Red 997 MKII Clubsport

nberry:
    Grant:

--

You wanna learn more about torque, try driving a 911 with 700Nm+ Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrOveiaa5kA

Hi guys

I dont know if is already posted, but I need to share this with all of you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtZKV8087aE

The last 2.26 minutes are EPIC !!!

Enjoy wink

PG

pgouveia:

Hi guys

Enjoy wink

PG

Yep, that hussy sure does scream nice...Smiley...

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

pgouveia:

Hi guys

Enjoy wink

PG

Yeeeeeeeeee. Fuckin' haaaaaaawwwwww as we say out westSmiley

I am really looking forward to this gt3, im planning runs on all the epic roads on the north and south islandsSmiley

GOOD NEWS for those who ordered the GT3: Production resumed, first customer cars will be delivered soon (Germany).

However, if your car has already been produced a while ago but didn't go into delivery, it may take a little bit longer until you get it because they started to retrofit already produced cars but are actually putting their main priority on the current production for logistics reasons.

Biggest rumored issue was the valve train durability at the 9000 rpm limit.

So sooner or later, the first owner driving reports will come in, unfortunately the weather in Germany doesn't permit much of an effective and enjoyable track driving but I guess this doesn't really matter right now. People just want to finally see the first pictures of cars delivered to customers.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Amid rumors of everything from thrown rods to exploding PDK boxes, I stated (not sure if on this thread or on the other forum) that to me the biggest question mark was the valvetrain.  A brand new, never used before top end is suspect; not from a design standpoint but an execution standpoint.

WIth the piston speeds of this motor there was already a lot of technology developed to handle those stresses. . . .

I found the 'thrown rod' comments to be highly suspect b/c that would point toward and oiling issue, which I severely doubted based on the motor specs released by PAG.

Anyway, hopefully its all squared away.

Mine is supposed to arrive mid Feb.

--

991 GT3 incoming, 964 Turbo 3.6, E36 M3 ltw S54 conversion, bunch of other stuff

There have been several revised build and delivery dates. Initially, my car was to be delivered in mid February (build date Dec. 13th) but then was postponed until end of March (build date early Feb). Now I am being told it will be delivered closer to mid March (build date mid Jan). 

The good news my car will not be one of those retrofitted cars.

I don't see a drawback with a retrofitted car.  They'll probably screw the heads down an extra 1/4 turn.  ;)

--

991 GT3 incoming, 964 Turbo 3.6, E36 M3 ltw S54 conversion, bunch of other stuff

frayed:

I don't see a drawback with a retrofitted car.  They'll probably screw the heads down an extra 1/4 turn.  ;)

Exactly my thought. I actually think that a retrofitted car isn't that bad at all. Smiley

Anyway: Porsche seems to be on track again and as far as I heard, they really went the extra mile to make sure that the new GT3 is what customers expect, especially reliability. I wouldn't worry at all now (regarding the engine).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I'm sure Porsche will fix any problems and stand behind the car.  Nevertheless I decided to cancel my order. Says more about me than the car, as I don't have the time or the energy to deal with another potential RMS/IMS/porous engine block type of problem.

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

DaveC:

I'm sure Porsche will fix any problems and stand behind the car.  Nevertheless I decided to cancel my order. Says more about me than the car, as I don't have the time or the energy to deal with another potential RMS/IMS/porous engine block type of problem.

There won't be any (more) problems of this kind, you will regret canceling your order.  Smiley

--

DaveC:

I must admit I have had similar thoughts. The CL's are concern of mine and the closest track about two hours away. Nevertheless, I keep reminding myself we have a limited time on this planet and I aim to make the most of it. The 991GT3 by most accounts is the best 911 ever built (sorry ChristianSmiley) and I need to find out why.

nberry:
    DaveC:

I must admit I have had similar thoughts. The CL's are concern of mine and the closest track about two hours away. Nevertheless, I keep reminding myself we have a limited time on this planet and I aim to make the most of it. The 991GT3 by most accounts is the best 911 ever built (sorry ChristianSmiley) and I need to find out why.

Best GT3... Smiley

--

nberry:
     Nevertheless, I keep reminding myself we have a limited time on this planet and I aim to make the most of it. The 991GT3 by most accounts is the best 911 ever built (sorry ChristianSmiley) and I need to find out why.

Nick,

couldnt agree more!  I just hope the gearset is low enough for good fun canyon slamming as Grant projects,  otherwise RC will win and I will be back in a turbo sSmiley

watt:
    nberry:
     Nevertheless, I keep reminding myself we have a limited time on this planet and I aim to make the most of it. The 991GT3 by most accounts is the best 911 ever built (sorry ChristianSmiley) and I need to find out why.

Nick,

couldnt agree more!  I just hope the gearset is low enough for good fun canyon slamming as Grant projects,  otherwise RC will win and I will be back in a turbo sSmiley

Sometimes, I have to loose, right?! Smiley Smiley Murphy's law...

For speed limited countries, I think the GT3 is the better choice indeed. Each time I accelerate, I have to restraint myself and at the same time, I always have to look at the speedo to stay within the legal speed limit. Not easy, especially on those nice country roads where the curves only wait to be conquered by the Turbo S.

The Turbo S is no car for people with a nervous throttle foot, it could put them in jail much faster than they can say the word "whoosh". Smiley 

--

Even in Germany you will exeed the speed limit with a GT 3 quite easy. A considerable number of highways is speed limited, and there exists a limit on country roads, which is 100 km/h.

watt:
    nberry:

Nick,

Nick, I sometimes completely agree with your posts, but I agree with this one.  Life's short, let's go have fun.  Besides, even if you live to 100, you're unlikely to be pimpin a GT3 in your 70s.

--

frayed:
    watt:
    nberry:

Nick,

Nick, I sometimes completely agree with your posts, but I agree with this one.  Life's short, let's go have fun.  Besides, even if you live to 100, you're unlikely to be pimpin a GT3 in your 70s.

I always saw Ralph Lauren in his GT3 RS as a true inspiration :)

frayed:
    watt:
    nberry:

Nick,

+ 1 to that !!!  Let's keep some room for the more ' comfortable' cars when we get into our 70's Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

vevesse:

Even in Germany you will exeed the speed limit with a GT 3 quite easy. A considerable number of highways is speed limited, and there exists a limit on country roads, which is 100 km/h.

The GT3 needs higher rev figures to come even close to the power feeling of the Turbo S.

In the Turbo S, a minor throttle operation can already result in some serious boost. Not the same as in the GT3. Smiley

This was also one of the reasons I chose the Cayenne GTS instead of the Turbo: I wanted a sportier (yes, I know...SUV) feel for my daily driver and since I move it mainly in the city and on country roads, power and torque weren't really that important to me. However, whenever I'm on the Autobahn, I have to "chase" away those powerful Diesel stationwagons under 200 kph. Over 200 kph, the Cayenne GTS is usually faster but especially in winter time (this is actually when I'm driving on the Autobahn), my speed only seldom exceeds 200 kph (traffic, weather, etc.). So... Smiley

I will get a Turbo (Cayenne or Macan) again because I really miss that turbo punch.

--

The GT3 production issues are troublesome.  Even the Gt1 based blocks suffered longevitiy issues like coolant leaks (problems is serious if you are on the track when coolant leaks).  I would want to wait with any Gt3 order for a little while.

Just had my engine out to install the upgraded coolant line connections to the Gt1 block. (Shark Werks part - http://www.sharkwerks.com/news.php?news_id=212 )

http://rennsportkc.com/porsche-997tt-sharkwerks-coolant-pipe-repair/

My mechanic found a slight boost leak in the process (not even certain he is aware of this) and fixed it during the re-install.  The newly found extra horses are amazing and lag is not totally gone (maybe a split second).  RC is so correct about boost - it is 100% addictive.  Thinking of trading my '13 Sonata on the Sonata turbo model.

I would be concerned about either the GT3 or the Turbo in a speed limited country.  Almost seems that the Turbo would be better because you can enjoy the kick in the pants without massive revs.  In a GT3 I feel I would make more of a spectacle of myself even going slow.   

I drove a 997.2 TT cab for 18 months and though it had unbelievable torque and power, I never felt the car on the road. It was like driving a muscle car. I believe it was related to the AWD and lack of sexy exhaust. 

I want something that is not clinical and has a rawness which can I can exploit to the maximum of my limited driving abilities. Just listen to the last two minutes of the EVO COTY video above and you will understand.

nberry:

I drove a 997.2 TT cab for 18 months and though it had unbelievable torque and power, I never felt the car on the road. It was like driving a muscle car. I believe it was related to the AWD and lack of sexy exhaust. 

I want something that is not clinical and has a rawness which can I can exploit to the maximum of my limited driving abilities. Just listen to the last two minutes of the EVO COTY video above and you will understand.

Nick, the 911 never felt like a muscle car, not even the Turbo. Smiley

Also the 997.2 TT is a different story, completely different car than the current 991 Turbo S. 

As to the raw driving experience, I agree, the GT3 is a very good choice from Porsche.

--

So... Have any Rennteamers taken delivery if their new GT3 this weekend?? Would be great to see the first of the owners reviews on here!

Here's mine.....sort of 

so looking at the speed in gears and taking advantage of the specialness of this chassis and motor coming into  its own at a wonderfully thrashy 7000 -9000 rpm , vs say a power kit  C2S, most drivers , in order to attain that uniqueness vs said C2S on favorite local tight canyon roads similar to the videos above ( like Malibu as an example ) will be screaming along mostly in first  and second gears the whole drive ...so .be ready for being awarded the " tool of the road " prize by neighbors and bystanders and renewing decades long arguments of who are the biggest pr#^k drivers on the road , Porsche or Bimmer owners ,LOL!

but not to do that and keeping it sane and quiet below 7000 in public places is like driving a regular Carrera, which now puts one into the poser category 

that's why most owners should track it from time to time 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762254 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435255 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260461 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257512 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80934 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5321 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872146 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807523 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM