Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

ZO6 Sport Auto TEST!

So sport auto finally tested the z06, although not on the Nürburgring yet.

Performance data are very similar to the AMS test data, it's the same car:

0-100 4,0
    0-160 8,0
    0-200 12.0

Hockenheim lap: 1.11,5 an excellent time!
    In comparison:
    Corvette c6: 1.14.8
    F430 F1: 1.12,7
    Gallardo: 1.11,8
    Murcielago: 1.12,0
    P. Zonda S: 1.11,8
    996 tt: 1.14,6
    911 gt3: 1.13,2
    911 gt2: 1.12,6
    911gt3rs 1.11,8 (racetires)
    PCGT: 1.08,6
    Ford gt 1.14,1

comments are extremely favourable re engine and brakes. not an easy car to be handled at the limit though.

in summary: a hard nut to crack even for the 997tt..

Re: ZO6 Sport Auto TEST!

VERY NICE! So far, my car's been AWESOME. I'm glad to see the Europeans are having fun with it.
    Very impressive times for sure. At the limit handling the car feels like a live wire. You REALLY need to stay on top of it and pay attention to all the feedback. The chassis is very stiff and gives great communication when pushed. Under normal driving, it's very subdued and nowhere near the feedback of my Boxster. Once you get it moving though, things are great!

cant wait for n-ring times and upcoming comparison test against 997tt...

An impressive list of cars there, all of which are seeing the tail end of the Z06. I've said all along that it's a very serious sportscar, and this number just reinforces that. There will always be those that prefer other makes, but it's no longer credible to bash this car on its performance. If someone wants to criticize the Z06's interior or its driving dynamics, those are subjective concepts that are always open to argument.

I freely admit that part of what I purchased with Porsche is a nicer interior, perhaps a little more prestige and a mid-engine layout. But it's a lot harder today to make an argument for Porsche on performance alone than it was ten years ago. And I hope this AMS data puts all that "911 for curves, Z06 for the drag strip" foolishness to rest. The Z06 may have a different feel than the 911, but clearly it is a competent car even on a tight track.

However, I am sure even this AMS data won't put all the rennteam flames to rest...in fact, I figure the first thing I'll see is "the 997TT will be better." I think it will be too, but it damn well better be for the money it demands.

If only GM could make the interior a little more aesthetically pleasing, then perhaps Porsche would have a real incentive to improve their vehciles at a faster clip, instead of doling out their engineering improvements a teaspoon at a time.

mcdelaug

Quote:
    mcdelaug said:
    However, I am sure even this AMS data won't put all the rennteam flames to rest...in fact, I figure the first thing I'll see is "the 997TT will be better." I think it will be too, but it damn well better be for the money it demands.

mcdelaug

Here we go again, for the 2 zillionth internet car board thread ...ZZZZZzzzzzz, like this one : ..

Yes.. yet another Z06 thread

In comparison:
    Ford gt 1.14,1

The Z06's relative time is ok for a cold track surface. Now maybe some people will comprehend just why some F430 and GT2 owners have switched Z06's.

Maybe Carlos can explain these times as he has held a wierd theory that a c6 Z06 was just some rebadged C6

Do you really think an AWD (heavy) turbo that naturally understeers will be faster than the super light and powerful GT3 RS WITH race tires (probably r compounds), which is already off the mark? I just don't see any AWD cars (short of 650+hp) performing at this level. That is why the GT3 and GT2 are RWD.

Now if it were wet or cold I'll pick the AWD any day (or novice driver), but RWD will pull the better times.

I think a new generation 997 GT3 RS is the car you want to be on the look for.

Jersey, the 997TT might be heavier, but the electronic synchronization of its adjustable suspension, power to the wheels with the most traction and the quickness that it revs and makes power, might just produce some interesting numbers and dynamics. Thats the only way it could overcome its hp to weight disadvantage.

The 997TT is really a luxury autobahn all weather rocket than a out and out sportscar, so if its anywhere close to a Z06 I give it credit for that.

Now if anyone here wants to confess Porsches factory claimed and warranteed engine life for a GT3RS and compare that to a Z06's - that would be revealing and interesting!

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    In comparison:
    Ford gt 1.14,1

The Z06's relative time is ok for a cold track surface. Now maybe some people will comprehend just why some F430 and GT2 owners have switched Z06's.

Maybe Carlos can explain these times as he has held a wierd theory that a c6 Z06 was just some rebadged C6

I say it was a ringer. It had... slicks! And... Oh! Oh! I know! A JET ENGINE!

But seriously, this car is fast and a true bargain. If it sells well in Europe, Porsche might just have to step up to the plate.

If GM wants to produce that rumored 650 hp Vette " SS " that weighs 2900 lbs and costs less than a 997S Cab - I say, as a Porsche enthusiast , bring it on ASAP ! Since when is competition in the marketplace a bad thing for the end consumer , no matter which brand you prefer ?

I went to the chevy dealer today and aside from trying to charge $10,000 over msrp, they wouldn't let me test drive it

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    In comparison:
    Ford gt 1.14,1

I say it was a ringer. It had... slicks! And... Oh! Oh! I know! A JET ENGINE!

But seriously, this car is fast and a true bargain. If it sells well in Europe, Porsche might just have to step up to the plate.

I don't think Porsche has to worry about selling cars in Europe. The reasons for buying a P car are totally different than a Z car. People buy P cars for the history, luxury, and most specifically the badge. There are lots of cars that are faster and cheaper. The Z06 didn't reinvent that wheel, just improved on it. Guarantee, even with the Z's performance numbers, if one has enough money to afford a $150k car, they won't be driving a Vette to go 3 seconds faster.

Those who REALLY want to go fast at the right place (race track) will just buy a Radical and be done with it. Those who pull up to the country club or the Polo circuit will continue to buy P (or F) cars even if they are slower than a Toyota Camry.

Quote:
    95jersey said:

Those who REALLY want to go fast at the right place (race track) will just buy a Radical and be done with it. Those who pull up to the country club or the Polo circuit will continue to buy P (or F) cars even if they are slower than a Toyota Camry.

Then why all the defensive posts on 911 Turbo boards when someone comps , say , a Ferrari F430 to a 911 Turbo ? Then all the Porsche people talk about " bang for the buck " and end up sounding JUST like the Z06 owners !

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    95jersey said:

Then why all the defensive posts on 911 Turbo boards when someone comps , say , a Ferrari F430 to a 911 Turbo ? Then all the Porsche people talk about " bang for the buck " and end up sounding JUST like the Z06 owners !

Bang for the buck is perception. I can go out and buy a formula ford and kill every street car you can name on road courses for under $30k. So, if you have enough money to call $150k bang for the buck, then you really have to wake up and take off the Polo shirt! But, hey, if I just paid $150k for something, you bet I'd be "talking" about it's capabilities compared to other cars.

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    mcdelaug said:

mcdelaug

Here we go again, for the 2 zillionth internet car board thread ...ZZZZZzzzzzz, like this one : ..

Yes.. yet another Z06 thread

If you don't like the subject of the thread, then just don't read it! Then you will not have to bitch about it!

Quote:
    rhino said:
    I went to the chevy dealer today and aside from trying to charge $10,000 over msrp, they wouldn't let me test drive it

Thats typical!

Wait till your Porsche dealer gets his one 997TT launch car in stock. Ask him for a test drive and the price

All of those guys are the same.

The entire Z06 thread thing only exists.... because Porsche HAS ABANDONDED the sub 100K USD high performance sports car market to of all companies --- General Motors~!

Porsche could EASILY design, produce, market and profitably sell a comparable high performance SPORTSCAR in this price range!

But noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Et Tu Wiediking? Si! Como Se Share holder value el tanko por las Porsche Puercos Novios?

z06 is very fast, very cheap, very raliable, very light, very good on petrol, its just very good.

Quote:
    vladimir said:
    z06 is very fast, very cheap, very raliable, very light, very good on petrol, its just very good.

Don't you just love it! I love every minute of it!!!

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    vladimir said:

No. Its disgusting. This is not a pro corvette forum. In case you have not noticed, the Rennteam is a German organization for Porsche enthusiasts. It is not, repeat, not a truck stop for lost Michigan State cheerleaders!

Porsches management had plenty of warning about this via industry competitive intelligence. Rather than face the music and act, they decided to instead depend upon customer naivete and their dreams of bigger Carrera Cup TV audiences!

You cant have a leading edge sportscar company just by leveraging its history. At some point you have to give customers what they want. For Porsche that would mean
    getting rid of the M96 engine.

Whats in the 997GT3 should at least be standard in the 997S and regular 997 and the 997TT should be available in a 2WD sports version with the 4WD model as a luxus edition.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    vladimir said:

No. Its disgusting. This is not a pro corvette forum. In case you have not noticed, the Rennteam is a German organization for Porsche enthusiasts. It is not, repeat, not a truck stop for lost Michigan State cheerleaders!

Porsches management had plenty of warning about this via industry competitive intelligence. Rather than face the music and act, they decided to instead depend upon customer naivete and their dreams of bigger Carrera Cup TV audiences!

You cant have a leading edge sportscar company just by leveraging its history. At some point you have to give customers what they want. For Porsche that would mean
    getting rid of the M96 engine.

Whats in the 997GT3 should at least be standard in the 997S and regular 997 and the 997TT should be available in a 2WD sports version with the 4WD model as a luxus edition.

Jim... you and I both know that won't happen as long as the bean counters at Porsche see that their numbers remain strong. There is a blind customer base that borders on Jim Jones cult level. If I were Porsche I would keep building an extremely profitable car without worrying about competition.

It's a shame really... Porsche built their legacy on unmatched racing and performance... what do they hang their hats on now? Unmatched profitability?

Last unmatched Turbo... 993TT

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    The entire Z06 thread thing only exists.... because Porsche HAS ABANDONDED the sub 100K USD high performance sports car market to of all companies --- General Motors~!

Porsche could EASILY design, produce, market and profitably sell a comparable high performance SPORTSCAR in this price range!

But noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Et Tu Wiediking? Si! Como Se Share holder value el tanko por las Porsche Puercos Novios?

If Porsche designed and produce a car that was as capable under $100k, then they would no longer be able to sell you a car less capable for $150k? It would undermine their ENTIRE product line. Why the heck would they want to do that? They don't want to scrap every car in their product line because of the Z06, and admit they have been ripping off their clientel for years. I doubt the boxster costs less than a 911 or Cayman S to build, but Porsche will carefully price their cars to build an exclusivity. That in order to have a supercar you must pay over $200k, in order to have a world class autobahn you must pay $150, and in order to have a competent GT, you must pay $85. It's the silent agreement that European car makers have subjected the world to for too long. To get 500hp you pay X, to get 300HP you pay Z.

The Z06 is certainly not the first to challenge this unwritten gentlemans aggreement, they are just throwing it in the worlds face and saying it's time for a change. Consumers want it.

If I were a Porsche owner, I don't think I wouldn't care about this Z06 stuff, leave the Z06 to people who want to go fast on a race track. Leave the Porsche to those who want to pull up in a luxury autobahn.

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:

If you don't like the subject of the thread, then just don't read it! Then you will not have to bitch about it!

Have you owned both recent 911s and Corvette like I have and enjoyed them both ? I'm just making these comments /rolling my eyes because of all the back and forth of the defensiveness of non-Corvette people on all the various boards AND some overgloating on the side of Z06 owners too . Has anyone noticed no one seems to have any fun with cars anymore on boards ? It's all bench racing !

Quote:
    95jersey said:

If I were a Porsche owner, I don't think I wouldn't care about this Z06 stuff, leave the Z06 to people who want to go fast on a race track. Leave the Porsche to those who want to pull up in a luxury autobahn.

If the Z06 is being bought by track guys for its " circuit handling " which is superb from the standpoint of lap times , why are 90% of the threads on the Z06 boards still about drag strip 60 foot times , burn out techniques, etc ? Let's face it, it will take quite a LONG time ( like the C10 ? ) for the track junkies to outnumber the drag strip guys in the Corvette world.

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    95jersey said:

If the Z06 is being bought by track guys for its " circuit handling " which is superb from the standpoint of lap times , why are 90% of the threads on the Z06 boards still about drag strip 60 foot times , burn out techniques, etc ? Let's face it, it will take quite a LONG time ( like the C10 ? ) for the track junkies to outnumber the drag strip guys in the Corvette world.

The irony that neither of you monkees see is that the 997TT with sport chrono AND Tiptronic IS quicker than a Z06 from 0 to 60 and likely in the quarter mile also. The 997's Tip, overboost to 502hp and the AWD will give it better hook up and a faster start over a Z06 everytime.

Porsche has created the worlds best car for bracket racing at the drags.

But the 5spd Tiptronic probably dooms it on the racetrack.

What a bizarre role reversal!

Hey, its only money!

Quote:
    MKW said:
    If GM wants to produce that rumored 650 hp Vette " SS " that weighs 2900 lbs and costs less than a 997S Cab - I say, as a Porsche enthusiast , bring it on ASAP ! Since when is competition in the marketplace a bad thing for the end consumer , no matter which brand you prefer ?

Very well said. I completely agree

As much as I respect the time/performance-comparisons between brand x and y I personally could not care less if somebody beats me by 0.2 secs or 2-3 secs per lap unless I am running in a whatever championship. I cannot understand all the fuzz about HP (480 or 500 ?) 3.7 or 4.0 sec's etc since most of us driving performance cars are not even close to be able to repeat any of the - from pro's - reached times. I want to see how many rennteamers can lap the ring in around 8 min - probably only on the playstation with a 800 hp car...certainly not with their fully optionned 997 or TT. My point is : if you like X - buy it ; if Y overtakes you so what ? Does it effect my ego ? Only those who don't have one at the first place. I drive 911's because I love them for what they are and only the sound is good enough to lift my mood - and onto today's roads whereas 99% of us are driving our toys -incl tracking- we are not driving because we want to be the fastest at any point of time - we drive whatever-car because the overall package suits our taste the most.

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    95jersey said:

That is purely a cultural thing. Drag racing is simply an American phenomena. American's will drag race anything...including a $400k Ferrari. I have seen many beautiful sports car hacked to pieces for the sacrilage of drag racing. They just don't know any better.

Please, don't get caught up in what other people are "doing" with the car, get into the car for what it does well.

I agree that it will take a long time, if the acceptance will ever happen. I think our success at LeMans has opened the door. You can say all you want that a road car and race car are different, but there are lots of people in Europe who follow LeMans and now have a different view on Corvette since its recent years of success. GM is not completely stupid..."build it and they will come".

AMS <?>

tino

Quote:
    MKW said:

As a Porsche owner and enthusiast I can only say that a car like a Z06 is the best that can happen to everyone involved.
    Because it will serve as eyeopener to many customers and Porsche themselves that one does not need to spend 150k euro to build an extremly fast car with decent construction quality and everyday usability.
    The only dynamic reason IMO not to rush out and buy a z06 is that i guess the feel of the steering will feel numb compared to the Porsches. The feeling of control of this car is just amazing and huge fun on any twisty road.
    Unfortunately it is not possible to testdrive a z06 anywhere in Germany, to at least get an approximate idea. maybe driving the normal c6 helps, any suggestions?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688486 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408677 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255514 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234758 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65376 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857551 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773317 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM