Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 spyshots thread (continued) (for UNRELEASED models only) Thread Closed

wgszaMe.jpg

--

I haven't been following the speculation much, but he only mentioned no manual for the Turbo here, nothing so specific about the GT3..?

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

I don't think there is any reason to offer manual on GT3, from the performance point of view. However, if Porsche sell a large number of GT3s in the USA, they might offer manual to cater for this demand, like BMW did on several models.

--

"Form follows function"

I think there are only two outstanding items:

1. The engine. 

2. The price. 

Nothing else matters. 

@reginos: don't want to be arrogant or offend anyone (really not), but I genuinely  don't understand BMW's logic to offer to not offer manual in Europe, but make it available in the USA where there's (to put it politely) a much smaller market for manual cars.

What is going on with the 991 GT3 official pic's leak?? mail Can't wait!

--

boytronic:

I think there are only two outstanding items:

1. The engine. 

2. The price. 

Nothing else matters. 

Hi boytronic, Fully agree:)..one is long term..the other short term..prices change..but engines have to be reliable for years.. I m still hestitant on the new engine..if someone can please confirm to me that it will be used in the CUP and the RSR..I hope Porsche is not trying to fool us by proclaiming a new engine which is maybe not one. Its clear that if this new engine is proclaimed to be the racing future..that I expect it to deliver results on the racetrack..and not in showrrooms.

bws:

@reginos: don't want to be arrogant or offend anyone (really not), but I genuinely  don't understand BMW's logic to offer to not offer manual in Europe, but make it available in the USA where there's (to put it politely) a much smaller market for manual cars.

I agree this appears odd, but knowing BMW Marketing they must have done their research Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

SportCarGroup:

Same here... Smiley ....... Smiley......

bws:

we in the US always hear the opposite from BMW's marketing spin doctors  , that  Europeans MUCH  prefer the autoboxes -esp with their congested roads -and that  we (neanderthal ) Americans are the only ones who still find pleasure in rowing our own gears ( but then used manual M5s are a hard sell  on dealer lots once the original owner unloads it !)

Smiley

pjd:
    SportCarGroup:

Same here... Smiley ....... Smiley......

We need some official picsSmiley

From Rennlist:

News:
    - 475HP
    - PDK only
    - PTV +
    - LED Headlights

Some good and bad news. PDK only is frustrating, however 475hp from 3.8 liters would be amazing. Wonder what PTV+ will be like on a rear-drive, track focused car. I expect the LED headlights will mirror the 4 bulb appearance seen on the Estoril mule and 918 final design.

angel GT3 is moving to a new level..

I`m not a Nurburgring lap time maniac but i guess with this package (if true), the 991 GT3 will be a real track weapon...

Doesn't matter how they try to soften the blow with fancy numbers - if this is not a race engine, or an engine that is suitable for or can be raced on track then the car is irrelevant to me. 

Looks like Porsche keeps GT3 official look pretty tight..... laugh

--

boytronic:

Doesn't matter how they try to soften the blow with fancy numbers - if this is not a race engine, or an engine that is suitable for or can be raced on track then the car is irrelevant to me. 

Same for me..

coming back to the latest news from the other forum--first it was said: no PDCC, no PTV..now suddenly the oppposite..

I think the longer the time will be until the release..the more stupid stuff people add to the discussion..now its the total chaos I would say..

I think ist better to do one of theseSmiley and enjoy the current Porsche we drive..instead of making us even more nervous about the issue..Smiley

475 hp is great)

A car with an electric parking brake and an Auto box is not a track car - ever.  Porsche is lost.

Going to enjoy the car I have or buy a 997.2 GT3

Silly question: why do I need a manual parking brake for a track car? The last time I used my parking brake while driving I was very young and tried some stupid sliding

I don't like electric parking brake either, but I think it's just a tradition(wont) for me. Is far as I know hand brake are used while driving in rally cars only, maybe I'm wrong

--

i also don`t know why do we need handbrake on a track car... 

I think most of us don't like an electric hand brake just because we don't used to it.....It will grow on wink

--

pjd:

i also don`t know why do we need handbrake on a track car... 

well..but the rules forbid it..

I don't like electric handbrakes, but it's nothing to do with tracks, racing or history, it's just that it's another piece of electrickery that can go wrong.

Also quite a lot of race cars have no clutch-use these days, even F1 cars only use them when starting, after that the clutch is controlled by computer. Also 956 and 962 raced with PDK and paddles, as did Audi Quattro.

All this noise from people against progress reminds me of the world was about to end when the 911 went water-cooled.......

Guy:

I don't like electric handbrakes, but it's nothing to do with tracks, racing or history, it's just that it's another piece of electrickery that can go wrong.

Also quite a lot of race cars have no clutch-use these days, even F1 cars only use them when starting, after that the clutch is controlled by computer. Also 956 and 962 raced with PDK and paddles, as did Audi Quattro.

All this noise from people against progress reminds me of the world was about to end when the 911 went water-cooled.......

Smiley very nice comment.... I have nothing against progress, but Porsche could leave manual as an option

--

Guy:

One potential problem with an electronic parking brake on a car that is tracked is the parking brake pads may fuse to the parking brake if the electronic parking brake is automatically set when the car is placed into park.  

Perhaps Porsche is fitting an override to avoid this problem.  

Another problem is the difficulty in changing the rear brake pads as a command must be issued to the controller to retract the engaged parking brake pads away from the brake surface.  While it is not a major problem, it remains an inconvenience, especially in the field.

It is not an electric handbrake - it is an electric emergency brake!  It is not only used for parking - it is used when all else fails - and when I am on a track or driving in snow on the street I want the control in my hand with a real cable NOT some electric all or nothing foot pedal.  I don't care for foot operated parking brakes either for the same reason.

and yes, I do enjoy sliding around especially on ice and the hand brake is perfect for that.  Same goes for the use of the clutch while braking to induce just the right amount of yaw when late braking.  And by the way - the people who complained about watercooled were correct and we all agree the water cooled engines sucked compared to the air cooled engine which is why they eventuall water cooled the Metzger block.

Let us not forget that Porsche has a couple of goals when designing a new car - faster, lighter, more efficent AND CHEAPER TO BUILD.  It is a fact that with each model we are buying a car that is cheaper to make but costs us more than the last one.  Trust me - the primary goal of the engineer is to make money!  Marketing sees to is that we are convinced to spend more money.

Frankly - I would be surprised if the 991 GT3RS not only has a manual but also an emergency hand brake!

It will be interesting to see how much more (less) the replacement 991 GT3 engine is vs the 997 GT3 engine.

Leawood911:

Still digging out after the first significant snowfall of the year?

An electronic parking brake does not function when the vehicle is at speed under normal operating conditions, i.e., no hydraulic brake failure.  It serves to function as a parking brake and a hill hold.  

Don't confuse cost engineering with expense reduction.  The 911 has significantly more higher strength steels and aluminium content than the predecessor vehicles; therefore, the material costs are greater, in addition to greater processing costs.  

Cheaper to build is actually the first priority. Porsche have major targets to meet in terms of volume sales. This new GT3 will probably have more cars sold than any previous model because it is more accessible / easier to drive... The marketing and accounting department don't care if your GT3 has a race engine or road engine. They probably don't care if your Centre Lock fails either. If both fail they just replace under warranty. It's about cost cutting and increasing profit, afterall they are running a business not a charity. 

Hi guys,

A friend of mine is searching confirmation that the new 991targa will have an automatically folding roof.

I saw some pics overhere a while ago from someone who made a drawing of the presumed system.

The rollbar and rearwindow moved first upward, just like the roofcover in the cab, the roofpanel was then moved under the rearpanel on top of the engine (just like the cabroof) and then rearwindow and rollbar moved into their place again.

Is this the way it'll work or will it be a manual procedure to take the roofpanel out?

Anyone? RC?

--

965 3.3turbo/  993 targa / 996 cab /997S cab

Audi R8  //  Audi A5 S-line 3.0tdi Quattro/ RR 4.4i

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688627 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408727 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255528 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234797 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65399 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857592 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773412 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM