Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Range Rover vs Porsche Cayenne

The all-new Range Rover is an epic machine. But is it better than the sportscar-on-steriods Porsche Cayenne.

--
    Porsche and other cars video collection

Re: Range Rover vs Porsche Cayenne

Great comparison!

But of course they compare apple's with carrots! The car-concepts are so different as they couldnt even be more - luxury cruise vs sporty SUV! The one in love with the Cayenne for sure will not like the behavior of the RR and vis versa!

i was a little surprised by the certainty of his response given much of the difference between the two is there by design & intent. anyway,i want to  forget any arguements about status of one vs the other stuff, these are both in the same bracket on that front.

Driving my GTS is a satisfying expereince - the sound, sport feel and the thought behind good sport placement, the intamacy of the cockpit all create a very satisfying drive. the only time i ever think of selling this thing is when i am not driving it.indecision

when we had the LR3, it was also an amazingly satisfying drive, but it was a different satisfaction. it was dead quiet which certainly was an enjoyable feel and something that i never bored of. i found that  the  driving challenge with it was to get that placement into any corner where it just didn't roll. it was the challenge of making the drive as smooth as possible and the changes in direction and speed as indiscernable as possible. it takes thought to drive that way and that defines satisfying in my booksindecision.

--

2012 991 C2S -PDK / 2010 997.2 turbo cab manual, sold / 2008 Cayenne GTS Manual /2008 RS 60 sold /04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

did you see the rear end go nuts about miday  - it was a tali end shot on an exit from one part of an S into the next. i wonder if this one they used had the RR version of PDCC?

--

2012 991 C2S -PDK / 2010 997.2 turbo cab manual, sold / 2008 Cayenne GTS Manual /2008 RS 60 sold /04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

A few weeks ago I was testing the new Range Rover with V8 Diesel engine and I echo Autocar; there is simply no other car that I would rather drive or be driven in over long distances. It's not a sports car, in fact it's the antithesis: roomy, luxurious, soft and cosy. It relaxes rather then excites but that is exciting in its own right. 

neunelf:

A few weeks ago I was testing the new Range Rover with V8 Diesel engine and I echo Autocar; there is simply no other car that I would rather drive or be driven in over long distances. It's not a sports car, in fact it's the antithesis: roomy, luxurious, soft and cosy. It relaxes rather then excites but that is exciting in its own right. 

You are actually describing very well why I don't like my Panamera Turbo S as much as I like my Cayenne GTS.

I hate soft and cosy...I keep that for when I'm 80. Smiley When I drive a car, all my senses need to be ticked in a way or another and the Cayenne GTS does that much better than my Panamera Turbo S, which is a shame.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:
    neunelf:

You are actually describing very well why I don't like my Panamera Turbo S as much as I like my Cayenne GTS.

I hate soft and cosy...I keep that for when I'm 80. Smiley When I drive a car, all my senses need to be ticked in a way or another and the Cayenne GTS does that much better than my Panamera Turbo S, which is a shame.

+1

Should've ordered a Lambo instead of the PTS and used the GTS as the family/daily car smiley

RC:
    neunelf:

I understand why it is like that. The Panamera need by default to play in the S-Class and 7 league.... might be a bit sportier but in  fact the idea is a luxury sedan. Of course - the car is much more a glider than a spyder! This is also because of the long wheel base.

Those huge SUVs are much shorter and the proporations are very similar to a go cart - just bigger. Thats why they can achieve this sportier feeling.

btw .... gosh - I wished to have your energy - I'm 42 but I changed a lot - love the smooth ride of the 7 or the Range Rover.... taking out the Porsche only for the short trips through the black forest Smiley

RC:

RC, you are editor/owner/omnipresent contributor of a (great) "Sports Car" forum and your passion is Porsche yet you drive two 2 + tonne Porsches, both 4WD

Now you proclaim that one of your 2 + tonne 4WDs is soft and cozy and you'll do that when you're 80

I don't need to say any more, we have heard all your reasons and excuses and they are only the same as many of us (45+ year olds with kids and wives and sensitive jobs/customers) have - please have a proper word with yourself and drive what you really want to be driving, your constant self justification for driving a truck is getting ridiculous, get the new 991 turbo on order Smiley

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

Kids are actually a big part of why I like the new Range Rover so much. It's a very secure car, not just because it's big and heavy but because it doesn't tempt you to go fast.

And when I get into a proper sports car it feels even more special coming from the Range Rover. If you don't need to worry about money and don't want to worry about the ecological insanity of owning powerful cars, the combination makes both cars more special IMHO.

Lars997:

btw .... gosh - I wished to have your energy - I'm 42 but I changed a lot - love the smooth ride of the 7 or the Range Rover.... taking out the Porsche only for the short trips through the black forest Smiley

Lars, Lars....where did we lose you?  Smiley  Smiley

GM Austin:
    Lars997:

Lars, Lars....where did we lose you?  Smiley  Smiley

HAHA Smiley .... guess the moment I turned a daddy 3 years ago Smiley

Ha ha,don't make any rash decisions!  Maybe the feeling will pass.  My son loves to ride with me when I'm driving fast (but safely of course). He is 18 now and recently commented to me how good and safe a driver he thought I was, that I could drive fast but stay safe. He contrasted that with his mom who he says scares him when she drives fast.  

Haha - I was 18 once - you should interpret that as...geez Dad - give me the keys.  don't worry I have learned how to drive safe (and fast) just like you!!!!!!

I was 14 when I explained to my mom that I was convinced that, after watching her so intently, I could drive manual without problem.  After some extensive flattery, she gave me a shot.  Imagine her surprise when I was doing perfect downshifts.  I only told her 15 years later that I was taking her car out since I was 13.

TB993tt:

RC, you are editor/owner/omnipresent contributor of a (great) "Sports Car" forum and your passion is Porsche yet you drive two 2 + tonne Porsches, both 4WD

Now you proclaim that one of your 2 + tonne 4WDs is soft and cozy and you'll do that when you're 80

I don't need to say any more, we have heard all your reasons and excuses and they are only the same as many of us (45+ year olds with kids and wives and sensitive jobs/customers) have - please have a proper word with yourself and drive what you really want to be driving, your constant self justification for driving a truck is getting ridiculous, get the new 991 turbo on order Smiley

Well, I actually agree with you. Are you surprised?

When I heard about the 991 project many years ago, I started to feel very excited when a source told me that the car is going to be longer. "Finally", I said to myself...."finally the 911 gets more room in the back". At first, everything seemed to indicated a more roomy back on the 991 with more comfortable seating. At some point in development, Porsche probably decided that for more than two persons, the Panamera and the Cayenne are the right products, so why compromise on the 911? Just a wild guess of course. So when I saw the first 991 mule and looked in the rear, I thought this can't be it, no way. Unfortunately Porsche didn't improve the back seats or the room in the back of the 991, very sad.

So now put yourself in my position (I wrote this many many times before): My weekends are always about the family. Me and my wife love to have the kids around and we always do stuff together. So how would this work out with a 911? You seem to forget that I had a 997 Turbo RUF 550 for five years. When I sold the car, it had barely over 24k km on it. The last two years of the ownership, I drove the car maybe once a month for an hour or so. Does this sound right to you?

The Panamera Turbo S was the logical choice, 911-like performance and handling in a family Porsche. Yes, I regret getting it because most of the time, I'm driving my Cayenne GTS which has much less power but is so much more fun due to the direct steering feel, sporty chassis feel and exhaust/engine sound. The only place I love driving my Panamera Turbo S is the Autobahn but this isn't enough for me.

So spending money on a car I barely use (Panamera Turbo S) was stupid but spending the same money on a car I would maybe use once a month, would be even more stupid.

In around 34 months, when the Cayenne GTS lease runs out, I will make a choice and replace both, the Cayenne and the Panamera. Very likely choice: Next generation Cayenne Turbo (if it will be available). If I will have the money for a second car, it will be a 911, without a doubt. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC, have you taken a Panamera GTS out for extended driving? it hits some of those notes missing in the Turbo S.

It doesn't do the top end, but nothing does everything!

--

CPA4S:

RC, have you taken a Panamera GTS out for extended driving? it hits some of those notes missing in the Turbo S.

It doesn't do the top end, but nothing does everything!

Yes but performance on the Autobahn sucks. A Cayenne Turbo S is faster, sometimes even the regular Turbo if it is in a good shape... Smiley Since I cannot drive the Panamera to work...well, I think we discussed this already. Smiley

I shouldn't complaint, I have two nice Porsche for the next 34 months or so and while there are faster cars around, there aren't many to provide the same driving fun in a way or another. If I had to make the decision about the Panamera Turbo S today though, I would have taken the new E63 AMG S instead. My Mercedes dealer always provides up to 20% rebate, so for at least 60k EUR less, I would have had a car with the same straight line performance and a slightly worse track performance, which isn't really important. Porsche really needs to be careful with the facelift but as far as I heard, the new Turbo already hits Turbo S performance territory. Let's hope for the best.

--

That's the main difference I think. In north america, it really doesn't matter how fast your 4 door can get to 200 let alone 300kph. Grunt around town and the ability to very quickly merge onto the highway are the only two times true overwhelming power is useful on a big family sedan. 

In Ontario, if I get caught doing 150kph on the highway I loose the car (regardless if there's someone else in it who can drive) for 7 days. It gets towed right there, right then. The fine is over $5,000 and insurance becomes unobtainable at worst and more than $5000 a year at the very best.

I'm not going to take a 4 door on the track, no matter how sporty. Well maybe for 3-5 laps but not regularly. So having the speed potential is more of a nuisance than a good thing. My V8 e-class wagon is more than fast enough. With super large infant seat #2 hopefully getting installed this year, we'll probably replace it with a diesel GL Mercedes so we can actually have other people in the car. Fine for power around town and more than capable of accelerating to the usual 120kph the highways travel at. 

--
    Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

This is why I think that for North America, the Panamera GTS and the Cayenne GTS are the better choice because of looks, sound and drive feel. Of course they also cost less than the Turbo/Turbo S, so they make even more sense.

--

Hi-def video here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiIQL4YNuBE

note to the topicstarter: Please stop posting low-def videos off your site here if youtube has the original HD video.

I love how you guys bring EVERY topic to the same discussion :))))  GTS vs Turbo vs Turbo-S

Even for city driving, I find Cayenne Turbo faster than GTS and softer as well... but it's missing the sound.. the world is not perfect! :)

I know that I have to give my Cayenne Turbo to my wife within a year - she has her eye on it.  What I am afraid of is her handling a 500-hp monster of car it is in daily situations.  I doubt that she's put the offroad mode/center lock differential in a snowstorm no matter how many times I explain it to her.  I am comfortable driving it daily, but it's agility is tiring, it does require more energy to drive than a cruiser.  So maybe it's my turn to split the cars...  get a 2-yr old Galardo or SLS or ... and a new range rover while giving my cayenne to my wife... any suggestions here? :)  RC - you're in the same situation, you have your cars split, but you're not happy now :) HELP, the itch is killing me! :)

--

2012 Cayenne TT, 2014 Panamera TT facelift on order :)

neunelf:

And when I get into a proper sports car it feels even more special coming from the Range Rover. If you don't need to worry about money and don't want to worry about the ecological insanity of owning powerful cars, the combination makes both cars more special IMHO.

Absolutely agree... I was not happy with our vehicle portfolio either until I went with the RR (to be fair it could have been a Cayenne too).  Being able to choose between relaxing or racy is great, and I enjoy the 911 drives much more because  we have such a huge contrast.  Also our usual fun 3-5 day drives are +2000 km; sometimes it is nice just to enjoy the views and not worry about whether PDK did a perfect downshift.  indecision

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

driving a RR properly by planting it into a corner, or accelerating & braking without noticing the physics is really fun - that requirement to think is what makes any driving experience satisfying and memorable.

they are different but can leave similar synaptic imprints imo.

--

BlackSparrow:RC - you're in the same situation, you have your cars split, but you're not happy now :) HELP, the itch is killing me! :)

In a perfect world, I would drive a Cayenne Turbo S and a 991 Turbo now. Smiley

Well...I can't have it all...kids are more important right now (until they move out...wife is already numbering the days... Smiley...well, only when the kids drive her nuts).

My son kind of started to love the 991, so I'm doomed. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690774 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410024 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256130 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235368 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65732 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858695 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774923 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM