Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 spyshots thread (continued) (for UNRELEASED models only) Thread Closed

Hi there everyone, im a community member of Project CARS, a racing simulator coming for PC and consoles later this year and the developers are starting to work on a RGT-8. They are having an issue with the lack of reference images with proper detail from this car, like the measurements of the front/rear bumpers, the interiors and even some looks of the car without the front and rear bumpers in order to add damage effects.

Currently this is how it looks:

I was wondering if anyone has one or could help getting some good references from it.

Im sorry if this isnt the right thread to ask for this but i couldnt find a better one .

GTlover:
    Spyderidol:
    GTlover:
    Spyderidol:

...and if they use the 991 GT3 for homologation with the new engine, then they can race it this year. I dont see what is the issue .

Hi syderidol, hi mojelme,

thanks for the interesting info....but I do remember that Chris Harris posted in december/november that both 991 CUP and RSR will use the old engine..its also what I would guessed/betted on..at least they will continue with this for another 2 years..and then it will be replaced..by what is the real question. Will it be this new GT3 engine?..and why is it introduced only now..and not directly in the 991 CUP..between now and December (991 CUP presentation) there only 2 month..

Lets see what Kreso is coming up with...I look forward to his ideas..I know that this a tricky question.Smiley

The CUP is for use (at least for now) in a mono-marque series. It wont be competing (for a while) with other competitors. The RSR on the other hand  will be competing with various factory teams from competing marques.

From what I gather, the car is undergoing a lot of testing and Manthey has reported that the car is showing good reliability.  To me, this implies that the car most likely has a "new" untested engine (we all know that the Mezger had reliability so why comment on itSmiley).

Anyway, all will be revealed in the fullness of time.

hi sypderidol,

fully agree..but how can Porsche put the new racing engine NOW in the 991 GT3 if at the same time its still being tested with the 991 RSR..this was my question..and as you say..the answer to that question..will come over time. I think that after Geneva..that question is still unanswered..

Lets see..

I think what is being tested is the engine in it's "racing" format.

Also note: The homologation rules almost force the manufacturer to put the engine in a road car before (or the same time as) the racing version is made, so the idea that you can race a GTE car before putting that engine in a road car is pure fantasy (barring waivers from the ACO/FiA). The manufacturer must present the road car as the base for homologation. (barring of course, waivers (BMW))

Spyderidol: I recall your photo of the BMW a while ago: their engine waiver seemed to be a joke. Is the waiver a purely subjective thing that a committee decides upon? 

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

Are we supposed to expect any surprise on Geneva Motor Show?? Turbo are coming on September? For sure? I heard something from someone.............

--

LeviathanPT:

Hi there everyone, im a community member of Project CARS, a racing simulator coming for PC and consoles later this year and the developers are starting to work on a RGT-8. They are having an issue with the lack of reference images with proper detail from this car, like the measurements of the front/rear bumpers, the interiors and even some looks of the car without the front and rear bumpers in order to add damage effects.

I was wondering if anyone has one or could help getting some good references from it.

Im sorry if this isnt the right thread to ask for this but i couldnt find a better one .

Why don't you guys contact Alois Ruf directly, I'm pretty sure that RUF will support you in any possible way? Makes much more sense than hoping that somebody would provide more accurate images/suggestions.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Budster:

Spyderidol: I recall your photo of the BMW a while ago: their engine waiver seemed to be a joke. Is the waiver a purely subjective thing that a committee decides upon? 

Ha! I think you asked the question that many hard-core racing fans ask. Unfortunately the process is shrouded in mystery. I suspect that it involves looking at the commercial/sporting interests of the ACO/FiA as well as those of the particular manufacturer.

BTW - See you soon.Smiley

Also - As far as I recall, the car must be homologated 30 days before it presents itself for scrutiny (race week end). As the first race of the WEC is on the 14th of April (Silverstone), Porsche has until ~ the 12th March to get the car Homologated (assuming of course that they don’t have a waiver from the ACO/FiA as this is a development year for the car).

RC:
    LeviathanPT:

Why don't you guys contact Alois Ruf directly, I'm pretty sure that RUF will support you in any possible way? Makes much more sense than hoping that somebody would provide more accurate images/suggestions.

Hi there, they have contacted RUF since they obtained a licence to have a few cars from them (1987 RUF CTR “Yellowbird”, 2012 RUF CTR 3, 2012 RUF Rt 12R, 2012 RUF RGT-8) but its taking quite some time to obtain the information needed from them and the devs are on a tight schedule.
    Thus why i am roaming around in the hope to find a owner or someone with some great references of this car since the developers want to make this car the most accurate possible.

Spyderidol:

Also - As far as I recall, the car must be homologated 30 days before it presents itself for scrutiny (race week end). As the first race of the WEC is on the 14th of April (Silverstone), Porsche has until ~ the 12th March to get the car Homologated (assuming of course that they don’t have a waiver from the ACO/FiA as this is a development year for the car).

Hi spyeridol,

Thanks for the info...really good to have someone here who knows the rules exactly. It shows that its quite complex..but since it is so complex..and since time has almost run out..I would bet my money on that Porsche will keep the current engine for another 2 years..this would give enough time to get everything settled..

But lets see--

Looks like we'll have exciting 2013!

991 GT3 - 7/3/13

Panamera Facelift - Soon this year

991 50th anniversary - This year

991 Turbo - September 2013

918 Spyder - September 2013

991 Targa - This year?

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

--

GTlover:
    Spyderidol:

Hi spyeridol,

Thanks for the info...really good to have someone here who knows the rules exactly. It shows that its quite complex..but since it is so complex..and since time has almost run out..I would bet my money on that Porsche will keep the current engine for another 2 years..this would give enough time to get everything settled..

But lets see--

As I said before, I have no idea if they will have the "new" engine in the car, but if they dont it will be a crying shame. (and I will be deeply dissapointed)

SportCarGroup:

991 GT3 - 7/3/13

991 Targa - This year?

You forgot the Macan - somewhere between September [Frankfurt] and November [Los Angeles].

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S

Does the McCann fit under the description of "exciting" ?angry

rulesdontapply:
    SportCarGroup:

991 GT3 - 7/3/13

991 Targa - This year?

You forgot the Macan - somewhere between September [Frankfurt] and November [Los Angeles].

rulesdontapply

--

2012 Porsche Cayenne S

Oh....Macan is a Porsche??Smiley    just kidding Smiley

Yep, You're right, the Macan comes this year as well. So we have many new and updated models this yearSmiley

--

Spyderidol:

Wish we had a 'like' button here! Smiley

When will be the official release? Only 14 days to Geneva....

Spyderidol:

Probably not - but the Irony is/will be - people will never discuss much about it..there wont be forums where people will disccuss endlessly like here..about buttons, engines, lap times or whatever. The Macan will be an "automatic cash machine"..Porsche can almost not do anything wrong with this car..for GT3 - the matter is totally different..long time customers have expectations etc.-.and wont accept everything...with the Macan Porsche is not running any risk (besides of diluting the brand..but if the sales values are not increased by 50,000..this will not happen so quickly)..with the GT3 there is a risk however of breaking very quickly through the ice.

The Macan will just be bought without any discussion..the only concern I would have, it must look prettier than the current Cayenne..especially the back should be no disappointment..and I wonder if Porsche in itself will not be chasing away customers from the cayenne to the macan..its a bit cheaper (higher taxes etc..will push companies more and more to buy smaller cars), plus "crisis" in Europe etc..

It wouldnt suprise me if the Macan would be the best selling Porsche soon..cayenne owners will divert to it..and for others it will be still a "Porsche" with practical value for 50K. Boxster and Cayman are as two seaters more fun..and thirdly..I predict, Macan second hand values well be very very stable..and people wont praise it for that ..while 991/911 values keep tumbling..

Tough times for a 911/GT3..

I cannot concieve of cross shopping a Macan and GT3. If anything is may be the perfect companion and introduction to the marque.

chuckb:

I cannot concieve of cross shopping a Macan and GT3. If anything is may be the perfect companion and introduction to the marque.

exactly..I didnt say the Macan would replace the GT3..the Macan is just another new Model in 2013..but very likely the one with the biggest impact..

rulesdontapply:
    SportCarGroup:

991 GT3 - 7/3/13

991 Targa - This year?

rulesdontapply

--

2012 Porsche Cayenne S

991 GT3 RS - November 2013.

boytronic:

991 GT3 RS - November 2013.

991 GT3 RS sounds like an exciting prospect and will provide homologation for the 991 GT3 RSR...

"With full conviction: The next RS is wow!"

Andreas Preuninger, Project Manager GT models, on the philosophy and the future of GT3 and RS...

What comes after the 911 GT3 RS 4.0?

Andreas Preuninger: The 4.0 is to be regarded as a special model in which many racing parts are mounted. We were sure to have pulled out all the stops to send worthy of the series 997 in retirement. But a year later we had new ideas on how to make it even better, even faster

And 2013, which can be found in the new GT3?

Andreas Preuninger: Our philosophy is to reach the next GT3-based model the performance of the previous RS. At 991 GT3, we focus initially on the RS 3.8

Is designed to parallel the very next RS model?

Andreas Preuninger: First of all, the GT3 is a fascinating sports cars. In general, the development of a GT3 with a strong forward runs for RS-version based on it. In the current case, the task is more difficult, because we had a full model change. Moreover, the differentiation between GT3 and RS is always great. Until next RS is still a bit to go, but I can already say with full conviction: The RS is just "wow"

Is from the rear engine concept actually get so much?

Andreas Preuninger: The technology goes on. At 991 GT3 we have intensively discussed the points, how much and what electronic systems can be used in the car without compromising the unfiltered driving experience. It is extremely important to maintain the high emotionality in GT3

For example, with rear axle steering and PDK?

Andreas Preuninger: If the foster system dynamics without imposing on drivers, they come. Every technical detail but it must be a clear win for the car without compromising its identity. And if we were to offer a PDK gearbox for, then it would be fantastic spot to fit a purist concept like the 911 GT3

Plays the racing during development also play a role?

Andreas Preuninger: Absolutely. RS models are the homologation in motorsport. In the development of road and racing cars, the same people are involved - this is a symbiosis for decades.

(Source: Auto Motor und Sport, 29 November 2012)

...and there are rumours the 991 GT3 RS will include a manual gearbox option! Smiley

Smiley SmileySmiley

50 Years Of Porsche 911: Special Model With Ducktail at IAA Frankfurt Motor Show in 2013?

From back to front: Porsche 911 Carrera RS 2.7, Porsche 911 Sport Classic -- and then?

Hiding in the dark a new Porsche 911 (991) with duck tail, as the special model of IAA debut in 2013 and the 50th birthday celebration of the 911...

(21 February 2013)

For the fans of German sports cars in 2013 is something very special: the Porsche 911 Celebrates 50 Years Birthday and look back on 50 successful years. More specifically, the anniversary is natural for Porsche itself, because the sports car maker is inextricably linked to the rear-engined icon.

50 YEARS OF PORSCHE 911: SPECIAL MODEL WITH RUMP AT THE IAA 2013?

If the IAA in September 2013 starts, Porsche could make the ceremony so with a very special 911: as a first teaser image reveals, Porsche is preparing a new model with ducktail! The characteristic spoiler element is known by such cars as the 1973 911 Carrera RS 2.7 and the world's limited edition of 250 copies Porsche 911 Sport Classic and is for connoisseurs of the highest exclusivity.

Now obviously, a new special model with duck rump is coming up and as 911-experts see at first glance, this is 991 times the current generation as the basis. Details about the technology are still completely unknown, but a bit more power than the 911 Carrera S would be no surprise.

Almost certain, however, is a severe limitation in production numbers of the 50th anniversary edition special model. Collectors can only hope that the special model Porsche 50 years of Porsche 911 is not limited to a vehicle for every year 911 History...

Smiley SmileySmiley

Thanks GTS. Is this ducktail car the 991 Club Coupe in Green with Brown leather? You guys might be interested in this quote from my latest copy of Porsche Post magazine:

"The car itself is based on the new 991 Carrera S with an exclusive Powerkit engine upgrade, and some secrecy surrounds what the actual power output is for the car. Rumour has it that it is based on the upcoming GT3 engine rather than the current factory upgrade option that delivers 430bhp. "

Make of that what you will!

I just bought a 2013 C2S power Kit with aerokit with duck tail, and crystal roof, I will receive it next week and I will post some pictures of it with my other 911 E 1969 :D

How many days for 991 GT3 pics?... 

yes rumors says until this weekend

--

“The next 911 Turbo will not have a manual. And the GT3 will get PDK”

Wolfgang-Hatz_Porsche-R+D.jpg

Head of Porsche R&D Wolfgang Hatz warns CAR magazine that the old order is changing...

“I’m not a professional driver, but it’s easy for me to drive below eight minutes at the Nürburgring with the new 911 Turbo. With the 911 Carrera I do 8, 8:05, 8:10 – there’s at least 20 seconds difference. And the difference from my time to the real professional is always another 15-20 seconds...

It’s unbelievable what we achieved with the 991, but the next Turbo will take the 911 to a new level. We do a lot of comparison tests, with Italian, Japanese and British cars, and we have a good feeling about the new 911 Turbo. And I will be honest, we will not have a manual anymore.

We will have PDK on the new GT3. But don’t worry, because it’s incredible what the new car does. I drive a 997 GT3 RS 4.0 – which is now in the garage because I won’t put winter tyres on it – and although I will take it out next spring, the new GT3 will be really nice. We have some good news for you.

Hans Mezger [Porsche’s legendary engine-builder and father of the race-derived engine in every GT3] was my boss more than 20 years ago, and we have a very good relationship. But with the RS 4.0 the story of his race engine converted for production is coming to an end. Now we are coming from the other side, with a lot of racing experience. The new GT3 is big fun, and a big step forwards.

I speak fluent Italian and found out that Nardo [an industry test track in southern Italy] was for sale, and I convinced the Porsche board to buy it. We will not close it to others. We cannot use it 100%. Some Italian manufacturers were nervous, but I know [Ferrari boss] Amedeo Felisa very well, he’s a friend of mine, and I’ve told him ‘No problem, you can use the track’. It’s a strategic investment, not to make money, but because having such a facility in your portfolio is a big advantage.

The new Le Mans car will not use a flat-six, but I cannot tell you what engine it has because not even Wolfgang Dürheimer [Hatz’s predecessor at Porsche, now head of R&D at Audi] knows. The first race of the LMP1 car will be the first round of the World Endurance Championship in 2014. We are in good shape: we already have 150 people sitting in one building; 20 metres away there’s a new workshop for the engine, transmission, hybrid and other systems. In 30 seconds you can have everyone together.

We have not yet decided when we will start production of the small turbo engine or which car it will be run in. But it will not be in the 911 – the 911 is a six-cylinder, that’s the right engine. On the Boxster a four-cylinder may present an opportunity...”

Source: CAR Magazine (March 2013)

Wolfgang Hatz, Porsche Board of Management

"Wolfgang Hatz is a member of Porsche AG Board of Management in charge of Research and Development, and is additionally Head of Engines and Transmissions Development for the Volkswagen Group. Prior to assuming his board level position, Mr Hatz was an engineer and project leader in engine development at BMW AG and at BMW Motorsport from 1983 until 1989. He joined Porsche in 1989 and was, among other functions, involved in the development of the Formula 1 engine. As an engineering graduate, Hatz took up a post at Knorr Bremse in 1993, and in 1995 became Technical Director of Motorsport at Opel before taking over as Head of Engines and Transmissions Development at Fiat in 1997. Hatz joined the Volkswagen Group in 2001. Here, too, he served as Head of Engines and Transmissions Development at Audi until 2009, having assumed the same function within the VW Group in February 2007."

Source: Porsche AG

Smiley SmileySmiley

Hmmm, brings to mind something I once heard:

Come writers and critics
    Who prophesize with your pen
    And keep your eyes wide
    The chance won't come again
    And don't speak too soon
    For the wheel's still in spin
    And there's no tellin' who
    That it's namin'
    For the loser now
    Will be later to win
    For the times they are a-changin'.

Boxster Coupe GTS:

“The next 911 Turbo will not have a manual. And the GT3 will get PDK”

Wolfgang-Hatz_Porsche-R+D.jpg

Head of Porsche R&D Wolfgang Hatz warns CAR magazine that the old order is changing...

“I’m not a professional driver, but it’s easy for me to drive below eight minutes at the Nürburgring with the new 911 Turbo. With the 911 Carrera I do 8, 8:05, 8:10 – there’s at least 20 seconds difference. And the difference from my time to the real professional is always another 15-20 seconds...

It’s unbelievable what we achieved with the 991, but the next Turbo will take the 911 to a new level. We do a lot of comparison tests, with Italian, Japanese and British cars, and we have a good feeling about the new 911 Turbo. And I will be honest, we will not have a manual anymore.

We will have PDK on the new GT3. But don’t worry, because it’s incredible what the new car does. I drive a 997 GT3 RS 4.0 – which is now in the garage because I won’t put winter tyres on it – and although I will take it out next spring, the new GT3 will be really nice. We have some good news for you.

Hans Mezger [Porsche’s legendary engine-builder and father of the race-derived engine in every GT3] was my boss more than 20 years ago, and we have a very good relationship. But with the RS 4.0 the story of his race engine converted for production is coming to an end. Now we are coming from the other side, with a lot of racing experience. The new GT3 is big fun, and a big step forwards.

I speak fluent Italian and found out that Nardo [an industry test track in southern Italy] was for sale, and I convinced the Porsche board to buy it. We will not close it to others. We cannot use it 100%. Some Italian manufacturers were nervous, but I know [Ferrari boss] Amedeo Felisa very well, he’s a friend of mine, and I’ve told him ‘No problem, you can use the track’. It’s a strategic investment, not to make money, but because having such a facility in your portfolio is a big advantage.

The new Le Mans car will not use a flat-six, but I cannot tell you what engine it has because not even Wolfgang Dürheimer [Hatz’s predecessor at Porsche, now head of R&D at Audi] knows. The first race of the LMP1 car will be the first round of the World Endurance Championship in 2014. We are in good shape: we already have 150 people sitting in one building; 20 metres away there’s a new workshop for the engine, transmission, hybrid and other systems. In 30 seconds you can have everyone together.

We have not yet decided when we will start production of the small turbo engine or which car it will be run in. But it will not be in the 911 – the 911 is a six-cylinder, that’s the right engine. On the Boxster a four-cylinder may present an opportunity...”

Source: CAR Magazine (March 2013)

Wolfgang Hatz, Porsche Board of Management

"Wolfgang Hatz is a member of Porsche AG Board of Management in charge of Research and Development, and is additionally Head of Engines and Transmissions Development for the Volkswagen Group. Prior to assuming his board level position, Mr Hatz was an engineer and project leader in engine development at BMW AG and at BMW Motorsport from 1983 until 1989. He joined Porsche in 1989 and was, among other functions, involved in the development of the Formula 1 engine. As an engineering graduate, Hatz took up a post at Knorr Bremse in 1993, and in 1995 became Technical Director of Motorsport at Opel before taking over as Head of Engines and Transmissions Development at Fiat in 1997. Hatz joined the Volkswagen Group in 2001. Here, too, he served as Head of Engines and Transmissions Development at Audi until 2009, having assumed the same function within the VW Group in February 2007."

Source: Porsche AG

Smiley SmileySmiley

Thanks..interesting..but whether its so goo news..nothing against a PDK in a GT3..but both options should remain..like for the turbo..but if Porsche only wants PDK for turbo..well..wont be bothered so much. 4 Cylinder in boxster..good idea..and I wonder why they havent done it yet..at least for the small HP variant..270HP should be possible..and would bring down Porsche CO2 level..without hurting anyone..and for the panamera they already apparently decided "goodbye V8 - welcome V6"

But nothing concrete on the GT3..except the PDK..which we know (feared) anyway. For 997.2 GT3 owners there can probably be no better news..they will have the last manual "real sports car"..but he is still unclear on the engine choices..will the new GT3 engine be used in Motorsport? ..I want to see that engine in the RSR or CUP..if it won´t, then even the 991 GT3 RS will not be an option for me. By the way, from the interview, I think its clear now, there will be no GT3 991 RS with the old engine..

PS: no new info on the GT3 991 here??..geneva is only a few days away..

1361787244374487616_10151271989481984_56928624_n.jpg

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764290 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436476 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261022 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257955 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82627 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5329 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876840 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808884 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM