Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

981s tested and ordered

Unthinkable. After a 996 and 2x997 C2S I have ordered a Boxster. I tested one Friday and I think it is now the best value for money car that Porsche makes. I didn't order a 991 in the end as I couldn't find a manual to test and wasn't sure about the spec vs price of the new car. I do think that the 991 looks expensive when fully loaded with the performance options.

Why a new Boxster? Firstly the quality of fit and finish is as far as I can see is the same as a 991 (Excellent). Secondly if you spec the car well it feels inside like a car at least 2 classes above and frankly as good as any 991 I have sat in. You really can't fault it and when you go digging around underneath it, really it is very well made. Thirdly it drives as well as it looks. To my eyes it's the best looking production Porsche right now.

I tested the car in very wet to dry conditions and came away impressed. Having driven 911's for 10 years (and tested a Cayman and a couple of Boxsters) the 981 really feels a generation ahead just like the 991. Like the 991, some of the steering feel has been lost but the overall level of refinement, balance and capability has been increased. In the wet the car is very predictable at least at road speeds and there's plenty of grip wet or dry. I'd have to go on a track to find out more.  The Boxster S does lack torque compared to even a Gen 1 C2S but once past 4500 revs goes quite well.. The chassis feels like it could handle another 50hp easily. My dealer tells me that I can't have the 991 3.4 parts fitted. Oh well. The ride quality on PASM and 20 inch wheels is probably the best I have tried in a sports car with no sacrifice in body control. I still prefer manual to PDK and I'm pleased that they kept the 'old' gearbox with 6 speeds. Do you need more??

The car sounds great with the roof down and is refined with the roof up. There's no discernable scuttle shake and in heavy rain it was completely dry and watertight as you'd hope. I love the fact that you can raise the hood at 50km/h so you can stay dry when the heavens open. 

I have not turned my back on the 911 and await the new GT3 or a softening of GT2 prices to a point where they are sensible here. But in the meantime I have joined the queue for a Boxster at the end of the year. If it's as good as my first impression tells me the I might just keep it a long time. 

Re: 981s tested and ordered

colour and spec please

surprised that you have to wait till year end.

what country are you in?

The wait seems to be increasing as the last time I checked it was 2 months quicker. I'm english living in Germany. December build at the moment at my dealer. UK delivery is quicker and if I go to Frankfurt I can get October build.

Spec: Red, Black full leather, Black roof, PASM, PTV, 20"Carrera S wheels in black, Sports seats+ with crest, Sports exhaust, Navigation and phone prep, Sports Chrono (for dynamic chassis mounts) PDC front and rear, Manual 6 speed, interior light package (no lights in visors without -note!), Sound package plus, Xenon with PDLS for the washers, model delete, dimming mirrors and rain sensor, red seat belts, SportDesign steering wheel, windscreen grey top tint, factory pick up.

I'm still thinking about the 14 way seat adjust as my other half will drive it too and Bose but I wasn't impressed with that in my C2S so I'm not sure. I can change spec for little while yet.

BOSE is much improved on 981 over 987.1.

981 BOSE is clearer, less distortion at high volumes and less boomy. I think it's definitely worthwhile.

Congrats!

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Cheers easy_rider! I'm really looking forward to it. Frankly after close to a year without the C2S I'm now ready for a new car. 

SFO thanks -  I'll see if I can find a BOSE in a car and have a listen. 

Great spec! Nice to see all the 6 speed manuals being ordered! kiss

I really wanted to like the 991 more but after taking everything into consideration also went for a 981S. If the performance gap increases with the 991 facelift and I like the refresh which should be in 2 years for MY15 might go for a 991S then, if I'm not having too much fun with the 981S. indecision

I probably should have spec'd the light package but my order got locked in faster than expected. Can't believe Porsche hasn't started offering the leather sunvisor option, had it in my 987S and it looks great in a cab & really compliments a full leather interior. Maybe it will be possible to add them later.

john999s:

Cheers easy_rider! I'm really looking forward to it. Frankly after close to a year without the C2S I'm now ready for a new car. 

SFO thanks -  I'll see if I can find a BOSE in a car and have a listen. 

Hey, the new Boxster is so good, I doubt you are the first 911 owner who has been tempted to do what you are doing. I think it's a very smart decision :)

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

dr.j:

Can't believe Porsche hasn't started offering the leather sunvisor option,

I tried to order leather sunvisors too .. I had them on my RS60 :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

but 981/991 plastic sunvisors is of much better quality than 987/997, so 'need' for leather is nowhere near as great.

easy_rider911:
    Hey, the new Boxster is so good, I doubt you are the first 911 owner who has been tempted to do what you are doing. I think it's a very smart decision :)

One salesman told me he lost a 991 cab sale right after a new Boxster S hit his showroom.

easy_rider911:

Smiley Smiley

--

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

john999s:

I have not turned my back on the 911 and await the new GT3 or a softening of GT2 prices to a point where they are sensible here.

Hi John, BoxsterS + GT-X is a dream combo for the Porsche sportscar enthusiast Smiley

You are not the first one and you won't be the last one who prefers the 981S over a 991 cab.

Many congrats on your order and on your excellent spec - the 981 looks very sporty in Guards Red Smiley

Just today got the build date confirmation for my baby: 5th September, not exactly what the order confirmation envisaged (July/August)..... 

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Great-September isn't bad at all judging from my experience. I'm happy  to sit it out a while as I have a shoulder op next month so won't be able to drive anything for a while so it's a nice 'carrot' to encourage me through the physio to be fit when it arrives :D  

Dr J I tend to agree with you. I like the 991 but as a 3.4 I know I'd miss the performance in a Coupe and as a 3.8 it added up to over €130k which for a series 911 is kind of steep. Better keep the money for the GT-x fund as you say. In spite of all that if the Boxster hadn't been such a cracking car I'd have probably taken a hard look at the spec and ordered another C2S in something other than black (the last 3 cars were Basalt hence the red 981). As it is (and still stinging from the loss on the last 911 in a depressed UK market) the Boxster is an easy choice for me. Space-wise, I've just changed the family 330d Touring for a 535d T so really don't need the extra seats in the rear of a 911 as most of the miles I will do will be solo :)

john999s:

Great-September isn't bad at all judging from my experience. I'm happy  to sit it out a while as I have a shoulder op next month so won't be able to drive anything for a while so it's a nice 'carrot' to encourage me through the physio to be fit when it arrives :D  

Yes, with the "postponed" summer this year September may be nice for a great break-in tour in the Alps or in Southern France - then on the way back home some laps on the Nordschleife and the car will know what it's made for Smiley

I wish you all the best for your shoulder op - once I had to stay in hospital after an op while I was also waiting for the arrival of my new car my wife was so nice to bring a model of the car which I used to "race" on the blanket when I was bored. The docs suggested another op to remove the rusty nail from my brain SmileySmiley

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Congrats! Very similar to the spec I'm considering. And 14-way seats do not interest me.

saw one for the first time last week . i couldnt agree more that its the best looking of all the porsches & from what ive heard it drives great , oh and in comparision with the 991 is priced right .... congratulations

Have a drive - it's great. If you are out of a 911 then you'll miss the torque initially but keep it above 5000 then its OK. The chassis is really something special even with the EPAS. Try to drive an S with PASM and the paddle gear change or manual rather than the buttons on your favourite road when it's quiet. I was surprised and very impressed.

Porsche-Jeck:
    john999s:

Yes, with the "postponed" summer this year September may be nice for a great break-in tour in the Alps or in Southern France - then on the way back home some laps on the Nordschleife and the car will know what it's made for Smiley

I wish you all the best for your shoulder op - once I had to stay in hospital after an op while I was also waiting for the arrival of my new car my wife was so nice to bring a model of the car which I used to "race" on the blanket when I was bored. The docs suggested another op to remove the rusty nail from my brain SmileySmiley

Yes, good luck with your forthcoming op, hope all goes well for you Smiley

Ah, touring the South of France - what wonderful memories we have of that in our 987S.... an absolute must in a Boxster, or any Porsche come to that, but the open top adds a special magic...Smiley

Haven't toured the Alps, something we'd really like to do, SWMBO has a hankering to tour Germany, so we have to plan a tour taking in Germany and the Alps one year soon, whilst we have a fabulous car to enjoy it. Smiley

--

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

Porsche-Jeck:

Just today got the build date confirmation for my baby: 5th September, not exactly what the order confirmation envisaged (July/August)..... 

Shame you won't have taken delivery until after we return from Germany..... Still hoping to meet up with you and Mrs PJ soon (we drive over on 23rd August for one week) - be great if we could meet up wink

--

dreamcar:
    Haven't toured the Alps, something we'd really like to do, SWMBO has a hankering to tour Germany, so we have to plan a tour taking in Germany and the Alps one year soon, whilst we have a fabulous car to enjoy it. Smiley

have a look here: www.petrolheadnirvana.com

I was on Alpine North last year, and will be on Alpine South in September .. amazingly great fun.

sfo:
    dreamcar:

I was on Alpine North last year, and will be on Alpine South in September .. amazingly great fun.

Thank you very much sfo, seems a great site and will give it a serious coat of looking at kiss

--

dreamcar:
    sfo:

Thank you very much sfo, seems a great site and will give it a serious coat of looking at kiss

small company, but superbly well organised tours, with really fun petrolheads on tour

Perfect choice!  I was looking at a new 991S but for the money I can get a new BoxsterS and a low mileage 997.2 GT3.  I can have my top down fix and a Gt3 for fun - both manual of course!

Good luck to you!

Unfortunately that is just not possible in Germany - Nice GT3's are waaaaay too strong and 981s is nowhere near as cheap as the US. Great decision I think.

I have to agree with sfo on the BOSE: it's much improved. I had BOSE on my 987 and was not that impressed, I almost left it out on my 981 spec. I'm glad I didn't, now it really worth the money!

Congrats on a great spec, you will be very satisfied! kiss

So I picked up the 981 S from Stuttgart a couple of weeks ago. It ended up in GT Silver with full black leather, manual gearbox and all the chassis options. I've driven the first few hundred km's and my first impressions are that this may be the most fun Porsche I have owned. I hadn't driven the manual when I ordered it-and against everyone's advice I went for the 6 speed. I'm not disappointed. Together with PASM, PTV, the diff and the special gearbox mounts the ride/handling compromise so far is outstanding and with a manual gearbox and an engine you need to rev for power, its a totally absorbing drive. It carries great speed into and through the corners even on the winter tyres (Michelin PA4's-highly recommended). Even the steering seems very good indeed and on another planet from my daily F11 535d. Downsides? Well some cost cutting on the seat height adjusters, the black plastics on the front, rear, mirrors and roll over protection would be better  painted gloss or satin black and the PCM and control buttons take some learning compared to the old cars. They don't add to it as a driver's car. 

Do I regret the decision to run a Boxster instead of a 911 for a while? As it stands-not at all. I did feel some pangs when I walked past the 991's to my car in Stuttgart but once I had driven it and so far I have no regrets. It's quick enough for road use particularly with the roof down and with PSE sounds fabulous. It's not really an autobahn car for me and I don't do much track stuff these days so right now if feels spot-on. Come spring when I have the summer wheels on (SportTechno on P Zeros) it will be interesting to see how it copes under more pressure-but right now it seems to me that its one the best picks in the Porsche range and perhaps the most involving drive until the GT3 comes in the summer. It's a nice second car. Oh-and I saw there was a prototype yellow turbo under a cover next to the production line on the factory tour :)

Congratulations john999s, you have collected what I strongly believe to be the best real world car in the current Porsche model line up. Smiley I hope you enjoy many thrilling times in this magnificent car.

Of course following Rennteam tradition we now need some photographs of your pride and joy....Smiley

--

Many congrats!! 
    I'm maybe going the same route this year, depending on what's coming up regarding powerkit / more powerful versions (turbo?)

Are your satisfied with the sport exhaust? I've been told that it has in rare cases an unpleasent "droning" in low rev ranges.
    .... and Pics please Smiley

Thx! Weather bad but pics soon. Regarding power I did investigate whether the 991 base engine is an ECU tweak or more. From what I've seen its not just a case of a new ECU as the 991 seems to breath better. I didn't search the site here thoroughly but it seems that the heads may be different so 315-350 isn't so straightforward and I guess Porsche wants it that way. Anyway in any case as long as you use the revs it goes down the road quite well and quite enough for public roads apart from perhaps Autobahnen.

Regarding PSE I think its a case of what you like. The standard pipe isn't bad in any case and might be enough but PSE adds loudness, pops and cracks on the overrun and sometimes sounds like you have a loose baffle in the exhaust as you slow down! I like it but I'm also a biker so I'm used to loud rattly things. At low revs and with light throttle it's quite acceptable in town when switched on even in Germany so if you like character in your sports car I'd recommend it. Compared to the PSE I had on my 996 and both 997's it's quite different in noise and character so if I were you I'd try to find a car and have a go first. 

Regarding the droning it's worth remembering that the engine and intake system is just behind your head you so it can be a bit boomy at low revs but not unacceptably so in my view. The tyre noise intrusion is much, much better than previous cars so even with a vocal engine you can have phone conversations at higher speeds than before. (Where are you you said you'd be back half an hour ago!)

The other concern I had about the manual car was whether you can heel and toe in the 981/991 reasonably well as the pedals seem pretty far apart and the throttle is set quite a long way below the brake. However, it seems fine when you are getting a move on and not just touching the brake. At low speed it's a bit more tricky but still doable so I probably won't need that set of alu screw on pedals after all.   

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763734 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436109 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260864 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257825 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82571 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

875923 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808469 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM