Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Is this a good deal?

I think this is a good deal on a 2006 Carrera S order. What do you all think about it?

. 6-Speed Manual Transmission
    . Black Exterior (A1)
    . Black Standard Leather Interior (AN)
    . Sports Chrono Package Plus (640)
    . Extended Navigation Module (672)
    . Power Seat Package (P15)
    . Bose High End Sound Package (680)
    . Thicker Steering Wheel (XPA)
    . Stainless Steel Door Entry Guards - Illuminated (CXB)
    . Tire Pressure Monitoring System (482)
    . Seat Belts - Guards Red (XSX)
    . Heated Front Seats (342)
    . Self Dimming Mirrors (267)
    . Porsche Crest in Headrest (XSC)
    . Destination Charge

$85, 500 + $389 doc. fee.

I'm on the fence about the PSE, Sport seats, Carrera crest on the storage compartment, and the "leather seats." It's my understanding that the "leather seats" are simply a replacement for the leatherette backs on the "standard leather" seats, but am not sure. If so, then I probably don't need them; right?

I'm wishy washy about the PSE. Conceptually, I love extra, enhanced sound, but hate to pay for something that increases the power not one iota. Cheaper systems offer more power, yet there are pros/cons (finance PSE with the deal; warranty issues; lease considerations; etc.).

As for the sports seats - albeit already debated to death - how sufficient are the standard seats? I like a nice, snug seat. Honestly, I would think the standard ones were fine, except the sports seats look "cooler" at first glance. Then the differences begin to wane. Thoughts (I won't be tracking the car)?

As for the crested storage compartment lid it looks good, but not sure if it's worth another $300.

I need to move on this quickly! Thanks for all your insight and suggestions.

Re: Is this a good deal?

By the way, MSRP is about $92,175.

Yes, that's a great deal...

Wow, that sounds like an awesome deal!

My carrera has a MSRP of 78,360 and I was only able to walk away with 77,000 plus tax

Quote:
    69bossnine said:

Why? 997 and 997S are being discounted in most places and when the 997 TT and 997GT3 are available the discounts on these cars will be even greater.

Also you probably could pick up a used one in the mid to high sixties. From a dealer mid seventies.

Wow! Hennessy or Jim Ellis?

I think the crest on the center armrest would be redundant to this: . Porsche Crest in Headrest (XSC)

By then it's starting to look like a rolling billboard for Porsche AG.

Dan

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    69bossnine said:

Why? 997 and 997S are being discounted in most places and when the 997 TT and 997GT3 are available the discounts on these cars will be even greater.

Also you probably could pick up a used one in the mid to high sixties. From a dealer mid seventies.

Hey Nick, has it ever occured to you not everyone, including new Porsche buyers, can afford a Ferrari? So why do keep busting balls?

I have this picture of you as a single, never married, short, balding, overweight, generally unattractive male. True? Has anyone seen Nick? Just curious. It would explain everything.

Quote:
    DavidSF said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    69bossnine said:

Hey Nick, has it ever occured to you not everyone, including new Porsche buyers, can afford a Ferrari? So why do keep busting balls?

I have this picture of you as a single, never married, short, balding, overweight, generally unattractive male. True? Has anyone seen Nick? Just curious. It would explain everything.

Well, actually, you couldn't be more wrong about Nick. Picture a younger Tom Selleck. And yes, he's married.

I wouldn't worry about Nick. He has a lot of insecurities because he is not intelligent and is a lawyer for insurance companies, which is not a glamorous thing to do. Think about it. Just how insecure and spineless do you have to be to bash on complete strangers all day long? It's sort of sad really.

Check the dealer for the new 7 speed tranny ---- the 6 is limited due to the narrow torque curve of the 3.8L engine.

Also check the new PASM stage 2 system with a setting between the 05's normal and sports setting ---- these 2 were always a compromise.

FInally suggest the new 20in wheel choices, the tire-wheel diameter is a bit larger, filling the wheel wells much better.

I gather the new 06/7 PSE may be ordered, which with the sports cats in a better sound with more power ----

Your present order is too cosmetic IMHO, and the above will give more juice for the real Porsche driver --

Cheers

KiwiCanuck

I frankly dont see anything wrong with Nick's comments. We all know cars depreciate specially if the mfg makes a lot of them. If Porsche output was same as Ferrari, these cars would keep their prices like Ferrari. There is no magic about this.

BTW, you are getting a good deal but no PSE?

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Well, actually, you couldn't be more wrong about Nick. Picture a younger Tom Selleck. And yes, he's married.

thus the ferrari !!!

makes sense now!

he drives around in his ferrari, trying to impersonate tom selleck, to pick up women!

in a porsche he can't fool them!

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    69bossnine said:

Why?? Ummm, it's fairly simple MATH. On a car optioned such as that, the dealer has approximate $10K spread between their cost and retail. This dealer is discounting $6700 of that spread away, leaving them with somewhere around $3300-3500 to pocket. That's chicken-feed, most Ford dealers pocket that much on a Mustang. With the piddly volume that any Porsche dealer does compared to dealers of more affordable cars, just try to keep the doors open, the employees paid, benefits, power bill, taxes, etc.., if you're only banking 3-4 grand per car sold.

Yes, it's not uncommon to get a good discount on a 997 now that they've been out for awhile. DUHHHH.... But there's a basement, below which I don't see it being REASONABLE to expect to get below, as I don't conceive that dealerships would be selling 997's AT A LOSS just to be charitable, or because they're making so much dough on 997TT's, that they'll just all of a sudden start GIVING AWAY the 997's at cost.

In conclusion, the guy's getting a great deal. Any more off than that, and the dealer is really bleeding.... which is great for the customer if you're looking for a great price, but it's not something that you can expect walking through the door.

The last time I went trolling to a website of a car I wasn't enthusiastic about, it was the Corvette C5 forum in 1997. I was interested in the new Corvette, and wanted to learn more. After spending enough time, and driving one, I decided I didn't like the car, I left a post explaining my issues with it, and I never went back.... What's your excuse, Nick?

Quote:
    KiwiCanuck said:
    Check the dealer for the new 7 speed tranny ---- the 6 is limited due to the narrow torque curve of the 3.8L engine.

Also check the new PASM stage 2 system with a setting between the 05's normal and sports setting ---- these 2 were always a compromise.

FInally suggest the new 20in wheel choices, the tire-wheel diameter is a bit larger, filling the wheel wells much better.

I gather the new 06/7 PSE may be ordered, which with the sports cats in a better sound with more power ----

Your present order is too cosmetic IMHO, and the above will give more juice for the real Porsche driver --

Cheers

KiwiCanuck

Did I miss something, or are you talking about a diff. car.?

The dealer profit margin on a base Porsche is around 10,000. With options the profit margin increases. This car has many options. Also, dealers generate sales with the hope of increasing allocation and allocation goals. Many 997's will be tuned in to purchase TT's or GT3. There will be plenty of used 997's for sale which will have an impact on discounting of new 997's. It is reasonable to expect further discounting.

Because I disagree with your opinion I should not participate on this board?

I will follow whatever rules the board members decide is appropriate. If we are here to deify Porsche, I will comply. If on the other hand, the rules allow for criticism and serious debate on all sport cars I will gladly engage in the lively discourse. Either way I will play by whatever they decree.

BTW, I am not lobbying for anyone to buy a Ferrari. It is the last thing I would want. I try to tell it like it is and as I know it. Like everyone else on this board, sometimes I am wrong (no I am not fat, unmarried and balding) and learn from it unlike some people who post here. Because I have issue with Porsche should not cause anyone undue concern or angst. It is all part of a chat site. You can bash Ferrari all you like and I will take the time to read each and every post hoping to learn from them.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    The dealer profit margin on a base Porsche is around 10,000. With options the profit margin increases. This car has many options. Also, dealers generate sales with the hope of increasing allocation and allocation goals. Many 997's will be tuned in to purchase TT's or GT3. There will be plenty of used 997's for sale which will have an impact on discounting of new 997's. It is reasonable to expect further discounting.

Because I disagree with your opinion I should not participate on this board?

I will follow whatever rules the board members decide is appropriate. If we are here to deify Porsche, I will comply. If on the other hand, the rules allow for criticism and serious debate on all sport cars I will gladly engage in the lively discourse. Either way I will play by whatever they decree.

BTW, I am not lobbying for anyone to buy a Ferrari. It is the last thing I would want. I try to tell it like it is and as I know it. Like everyone else on this board, sometimes I am wrong (no I am not fat, unmarried and balding) and learn from it unlike some people who post here. Because I have issue with Porsche should not cause anyone undue concern or angst. It is all part of a chat site. You can bash Ferrari all you like and I will take the time to read each and every post hoping to learn from them.

Quintessential troll comments. All trolls obey explicit board rules just enough to not be banned and bust balls. You left out your short and unattractive. If you're short and unattractive, that would explain a lot.

With options the profit margin increases marginally... not enough to topple my logic. Do we really want to split hairs on this?? And what's your profession Nick (certainly not business), such that you would suggest that selling (for instance) a dozen regular 997's at close to cost, instead of making five grand on each one, is justified so that the dealer can get an extra GT3 and an extra TT to sell at MSRP. Maybe it's me, maybe I'm just a whiz with numbers, but the math seems fairly basic. If I owned a Porsche dealership, and your ingenius premise was the business manager's game plan, the business manager would instantly have a new position as "Urinal Colonel" scrubbing the lew.

And if I wanted to Ferrari bash, I'd talk about the dark grey mettallic Scag and F430 on display at Amelia Island Concours that looked like they were painted with aerosol cans, the metallic was so blotchey, and the orange-peel so pronounced. Must've been Monday cars...

(You brought up Ferrari-bashing, so I couldn't resist)...

So while you're polishing your halo, figure out in your head how many GT3's and TT's you'd have to sell just to break even on the 997's your gave away.

It must be true, Ferrari owners inherited the dough...

Quote:
    69bossnine said:

It must be true, Ferrari owners inherited the dough...

This coming from a person who can only play with his father cars. When you can stand on your own two feet(or is it four?)come back a play with the big boys.

Man, even my put-downs are more clever.... Why don't you just call me a poo-poo head, and we'll call it a draw

I'm on a roll, it's gonna be a good weekend (....Other than having to figure out how I'm going to get 60-odd cars put into my dad's name without nasty tax implications...)

Hope everybody has a good weekend, and I apologize for losing poise, it's the pollen....

I promise I'll play nice on Monday RC

Hey, Guys...is this a good deal?

I agree. I was baited and was stupid enough to respond. I should know better. I apologize.

Whirlinturbin, a suggestion. Ask the dealer to price a car with the options you want and compare. Then decide considering the delay in getting your spec car and the cost difference.

Very good Nick. You have admitted that you were baited. I did not think ordinary people could bait lawyers to respond. Anyway, thanks for being human. I still think it sounds like a good deal. I got 5% off my car and I checked around alot and I did not think alot of the dealers I spoke to where moving very much. As spring and summer approach in the north dealers will not budger as much. You stated in one responce the other day that dealers were knocking 30% off. This seems pretty exptreme. With $10K in the average 911, I cannot see ther math in 30%. Anyway, it is true if you look around you can find abit of a deal somewhere; I will agree to that. It is also true that 430s cannot be found at any normal price. Even if you walk in and place down full price plus $30K, you probably could not place an order for this year. The other side of the story is when you try to sell your Ferrari back to the avergae Ferrari dealer they want to rape you. They will say oh my God the belts need done and it is goping to cost you mega-thousand of dollars to get this car in condition for resale. They will thebuy the car and do nothing to it and tell the next guy that they check the builts and they are fine. That gripe said, I still agree that the 430 is one great car, especially where you live in CA. The spyder that you have very sharp. However, the guy who ask about the deal on the 997s...I still think it is a good deal for him.

Discount...

This is a reduction in list price, right? I cannot get my dealer to understand the concept. He sends me to the nearest BMW dealer. Porsche dealers here in UK do not comprehend such innovative concepts such as 'discount' or 'reduction' or 'special offer'.

No. They only understand list price minus insulting trade-in..Oh you don't like it well I suggest you buy something else. Oh and of course they cannot tell you when you get your car or even what your car will be worth at that time.

Such is life in Blighty...

Actually, I think Nick may be on to something. With the TT and GT3 out, they'll have to do something to maintain S sales, I see either x51 as std, posible fascia upgrade on the C4S or at the least deeper discounts from porsche just like they did on the 40th anniv car(17k discounts at the end).

Stork the way it works with Ferrari is they take your car on consignment and sell it. Their take is usually 7% of the sale price. In return you get a new car which is worth any where between 20-30% of what you paid for it. Not a bad deal.

BTW the 30% related to a used 997 or 997S.

Quote:
    Whirlinturbin said:
    I think this is a good deal on a 2006 Carrera S order. What do you all think about it?

. 6-Speed Manual Transmission
    . Black Exterior (A1)
    . Black Standard Leather Interior (AN)
    . Sports Chrono Package Plus (640)
    . Extended Navigation Module (672)
    . Power Seat Package (P15)
    . Bose High End Sound Package (680)
    . Thicker Steering Wheel (XPA)
    . Stainless Steel Door Entry Guards - Illuminated (CXB)
    . Tire Pressure Monitoring System (482)
    . Seat Belts - Guards Red (XSX)
    . Heated Front Seats (342)
    . Self Dimming Mirrors (267)
    . Porsche Crest in Headrest (XSC)
    . Destination Charge

$85, 500 + $389 doc. fee.

I'm on the fence about the PSE, Sport seats, Carrera crest on the storage compartment, and the "leather seats." It's my understanding that the "leather seats" are simply a replacement for the leatherette backs on the "standard leather" seats, but am not sure. If so, then I probably don't need them; right?

I'm wishy washy about the PSE. Conceptually, I love extra, enhanced sound, but hate to pay for something that increases the power not one iota. Cheaper systems offer more power, yet there are pros/cons (finance PSE with the deal; warranty issues; lease considerations; etc.).

As for the sports seats - albeit already debated to death - how sufficient are the standard seats? I like a nice, snug seat. Honestly, I would think the standard ones were fine, except the sports seats look "cooler" at first glance. Then the differences begin to wane. Thoughts (I won't be tracking the car)?

As for the crested storage compartment lid it looks good, but not sure if it's worth another $300.

I need to move on this quickly! Thanks for all your insight and suggestions.

Well, if it were me I'd forgo the power seat package, lighted door sills, dimming mirrors, crested shields, and GR belts and buy the Adaptive Sport Seats instead. You only get adjustable lumbar in the psp or adaptive seats. For my body, most seats need more lumbar padding. I liked the adaptives with the bolster bladders uninflated, but that might change with some spirited driving.

It looks like a great deal and good choices, otherwise. Black is a PITA to maintain, but it does look sharp.

Jim

Nick, please answer: how tall are you and are you ugly? You are the only ball busting troll on rennteam.com. Why is that? Is that because you are the only person brave enough to say what others are afraid to say, or is it because you're short and ugly?

Quote:
    Whirlinturbin said:
    Hey, Guys...is this a good deal?

Yes it is!...BUT only if you like/love the spec- otherwise, you should be able to negotiate a 3-5% discount without too much effort and place an order for the exact "baby" you're looking for. Good luck!

I M A G E

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Owning a $200,000 sports car is NOT just about the ability to test it's speed. It's about the looks you get when you drive it, the satisfaction in knowing you can afford it, and the gratification in seeing that everyone else wishes they were you.

annonymous wife of Nick.

nick,

i thought you purchased your ferrari f430 spider for it's performance and resale value!
    then, lo and behold i find a post by your better half
    being open and honest about WHY nick buys a ferrari!
    nothing mentioned about performance!
    nothing mentioned about resale!

It's ALL about IMAGE

imagine my surprise!!!

- it's about the LOOKS nick gets when he drives it!!!

- it's about the satisfaction of knowing you got the bucks!!!

- it's about the ENVY nick get's from others WISHING they were him!!!

i would have NEVER thought this of you nick!
    please have your wife post more often so we can see the REAL NICK!!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM