Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Cayenne GTS!

And here is my new family car. A Cayenne GTS!

Yes I did order an S diesel so this deserves some explanations.

First the M3 CRT is gone to Europe where I work and travel very frequently so I need a sedan there, and the roads are smoother than in the UK, perfect.

I had ordered an S Diesel as soon as it was announced, back in September I believe. It made sense, big car, big boot, loads of torque, decent fuel consumption, etc.

First to my great dismay, Porsche GB told me, 0 discount. yes ZERO!, Rien, que dalle, Nichts, zilch! And this was an £85k car with lots of nice options.

Not very nice to someone who recently ordered a 918 Spyder, bought a Turbo S, GT3 4.0 etc etc etc.

Yes but you understand, this is company policy, the best selling model, blah blah blah ...

Ok ok, I need the car, just get on with it and throw some nice gifts when I pick it up.

Delivery date: January.

So I call last week for an update. Ah sorry sir, we have lots of back log problems and you car is now delayed to April!

Ok, that's is then. Refund the deposit and go f.... yourself Porsche!Smiley

Once again Joe Macari helps me out find a brand new car. Obviously not an S diesel but a nicely optioned GTS.

So first, a big thank you to RC, because your review sealed the deal and convinced me this was a good car. to be honest, this was going to be my family car, so sportiness was not high on my list but here I am, and I am delighted!Smiley

Ok so first, the looks. Well the S diesel was understated, dark grey with brown interior and 19" wheels. The GTS is gangsta, black, black int and 21" black wheels! Yes 21" that's just ridiculous! Well, the car looks all right actually. Well, for an SUV. Apart from the rear light which have an ugly shape, so good thing the car's black but the profile and front are very nice. I like the Turbo led front lights. Inside it's even better. Quantum leap in terms of finish from the 997, and my Turbo S was nice but this is great. Leather and alcantara everywhere. Maybe it is specific to the GTS but it's a nice place to sit. The seating position, ah yes! My first SUV, and I like it, it's a good feeling being so high up, good views!

This btw show me what amazing cars inside the 991 and 981 must be too, really a good effort from Porsche on the finish here.

How it drives: Well, it's brand new so I don't know. But initial impressions are good. It's not super fast but it's fast enough for such a big car. The gearbox is very impressive, super smooth. In sport mode the car sounds nicer but also, the car lurches at low speeds, the gearbox is not as smooth, is that normal RC?

Car has PDCC so looking forward to test that on winding roads. It's obviously not a sports car, but you can tell there's something pretty impressive going on with the chassis.

This car was off the shelf so I didn't spec it. I do miss the Bose, but to my surprise, the standard sound system is actually very good.

It doesn have PTV. But here I have to ask you guys. When I ready about it, I told myself, well, PTV is like an ABD right? Which comes with the PSM if I'm not mistaken. PTV was standard on my 997 Turbo S and I never really felt it. It is not an LSD right? Which would be incongruous on an SUV anyway. Am I missing out here? I hope not, but the GTS comes with ABD and ASR so to me that's good enough.

It also has PASM and ride height adjustment. Again is that useful? I've left it in normal height so far.

Another detail. Why do they write PORSCHE at the back now? They're tring to be italian or what? The letters porsche plus the name of the model is too much, way too busy and silly too. I'll take one away, or all  of them maybe.

Anyway, things happen for a reason, maybe I just wasn't meant to own a diesel car (thank you god!) and I am very happy with my new GTS.

Thanks again RC!Smiley I am very happy with the GTS.

Oh, and I got a discount on it tooSmiley

Here are a couple of pics. Just don't ask about the licence plate ok. Stupid bet that I lost...

PS: This story will have consequences with my relationship to Porsche. Hateful company with the way they treat their clients. Profit is one thing, but passion and relationships are more important in the long term. They make great cars but some managers at sales are a bunch of profit driven assholes.

1358501365395IMG-20130117-00387.jpgIMG-20130117-00388.jpg

Re: Cayenne GTS!

Congrats...very good choice. smiley

As a family car and daily driver, you will love it. Fuel consumption shouldn't bother you too much  and everything else is close to perfection. 

I actually find the gearbox setup to be perfect but in "Sport" mode, I drive it even in winter time, the gearbox and throttle are super responsive, the sound amazing. Even if at lower speeds the gear upshift is delayed in Sport mode, I still love it.

I bet with you that since this is your first SUV, your next step will be the Cayenne Turbo S sooner or later. I have the Turbo S in my mind all the time, my GTS is close to perfection but power isn't really sufficient for driving on the Autobahn. Thanks god I have the PTS and you have all your other toys, so I guess the GTS will be OK for both of us as a daily driver and family car. 

Regarding your experience with Porsche: You should have PM me. I don't know if I could have helped but at least there were some possibilities, especially since you are a very good Porsche customer and even have a 918 on order. I really don't understand what went wrong and I am really sorry about that. When things don't go smoothly with my dealer, I usually over-react and contact Porsche directly. They (Porsche) never disappointed, the "crisis management" was almost close to perfection, even if the dealer was always p.ss.d (and very impressed too indecision) afterwards.

What are friends for? You should have asked. 

Glad that you have a GTS now...it is an amazing SUV (actually in my book the sportiest SUV on the planet).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Thanks RC. Yes I should have PMed you you're right, but everyting happened very quickly. I just burst and cancelled the car with immediate effect, I was really really upset.The Turbo S is mega impressive on paper yes, but £40k more I think than the GTS, and depreciation will be gigantic. Ok, I can afford it you might think but one has to stay reasonnable, the GTS really ticks all my boxes and more.

Yes that's what I meant, in sport mode, it changes gear higher in the rev, it's ok in the 911, a bit annoying in town in the Cayenne, but minor detail I agree.

Oh and the panomaric roof is awesome, lights up the whole interior. Car doesn't have tyre pressure monitoring, so do you know if standard, it is equipped with a warning device that tells you if a deflation is registered (like BMWs)? If not, it's not too much of an issue either.

Congrats again!

I try to not read more reviews and delivery of the GTS, it keeps on reminding me of late April delivery  laugh

Edit: I agree on the no discount part, even though I went through every 996/997 (base,s,4,4s,turbo...) variant + this is my third Cayenne, but they still don't give a **** about their loyal cusomters Smiley

Futch:

Thanks RC. Yes I should have PMed you you're right, but everyting happened very quickly. I just burst and cancelled the car with immediate effect, I was really really upset.The Turbo S is mega impressive on paper yes, but £40k more I think than the GTS, and depreciation will be gigantic. Ok, I can afford it you might think but one has to stay reasonnable, the GTS really ticks all my boxes and more.

I get you, brother. Smiley I almost went for a Turbo instead but since that car lacked PDCC (really makes a huge impact on handling on a heavy car) and I already had a Turbo (PTS), it didn't make sense. Also, like you said, the GTS ticked all my boxes, the sportiest SUV setup available in a great package. 

I love the steering feel of the GTS...it feels like a 911 on stilts. Smiley

Yes that's what I meant, in sport mode, it changes gear higher in the rev, it's ok in the 911, a bit annoying in town in the Cayenne, but minor detail I agree.

Oh and the panomaric roof is awesome, lights up the whole interior. Car doesn't have tyre pressure monitoring, so do you know if standard, it is equipped with a warning device that tells you if a deflation is registered (like BMWs)? If not, it's not too much of an issue either.

Unfortunately not. Same with mine, it was a dealer stock car and I had to go for it to get the rebate (I won't even mention how much because it would p.ss you off too much Smiley). I drive the GTS mainly in the city and use it for smaller trips (only exception: our annual ski trip in February) only, so the lack of a tire pressure monitor shouldn't be a huge issue. I usually check my tire pressure every time before a (longer) trip and I am very anal about the tires, so I never climb boardwalks, etc. ...the usual sins people do to their tires. My wife also doesn't drive the GTS, so no danger here either. Smiley I also noticed that the approved (N-rating) Cayenne tires are usually heavy duty extra load tires which usually have a better sidewall protection than the usual car tires, just in case...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

GTS RC Vs. GTS Futch, who will win? SmileySmiley

is great and very nice. Enjoy it with your family

cayenneturbo:

GTS RC Vs. GTS Futch, who will win? SmileySmiley

is great and very nice. Enjoy it with your family

We both already won because we own this amazing SUV. Smiley

Only complaint: Power. This puppy deserves the Turbo S engine. Smiley

--

so do you dirve these in full auto all the time? does the selection of sport etc make some decent fast auto shifting even though it is not PDK?

--

2012 991 C2S -PDK / 2010 997.2 turbo cab manual, sold / 2008 Cayenne GTS Manual /2008 RS 60 sold /04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

Congratulations!  Great car!

CPA4S:

so do you dirve these in full auto all the time? does the selection of sport etc make some decent fast auto shifting even though it is not PDK?

I tried to drive in manual at first but shifting isn't really fast (or fun) in manual mode, so I actually stick with auto. I switched my shifting skills to my handling skills Smiley, today we did a little bit of drifting (weather was around 2.5°C and it was a little bit slippery (road was dry though)) and the Cayenne GTS handles pretty well but due to the weight, I have to be careful not to kill the profile of the winter tires too much, so I did it only twice. Smiley Winter tires have a softer compound, so I don't want to waste them for some short fun. They need to last three years (lease duration). Smiley

--

futch, congrats. very nice.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690053 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409496 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255866 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235096 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65600 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858242 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774390 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM