Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: "Cajun" is now...MACAN Thread Closed

looks nice. i know already that i will replace my CS but i still wonder about the engine. it's hard to get to something less sharp then a cayenne turbo or S but i wait and see. I've also interest in the new Q5 S

--

997 GT3,Cayenne S, Cooper S & VW Cross Polo

Interesting,  at the moment  we need all the space I can get with my 16month old twins, but in 2 years I would like to size down. The Macan could be an interesting car to replace my Cayenne. 

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

I'm also thinking about it to replace my Cayenne

rulesdontapply:

Porsche plans to unveil the Macan in November at the Los Angeles show, rather than at the big Frankfurt show in September - evidence of the importance of the U.S. market, which is expected to account for at least 25 percent of the 50,000 or so Macans that Porsche hopes to sell worldwide each year.

Source:  http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/16/us-autoshow-crossovers-idUSBRE90F1HR20130116

Uh, November? Seems a long way off...

rulesdontapply

I checked again with my dealer and he confirmed 9/11/2013 for the premier and on sale May 2014. 

It looks nice, cute and boring.... sorry to say - I think its just a small Cayenne which already looks 'very' dated after 3 years on the market. 

IMO They still look for the right design line on their SUVs. Classy and Iconic like a Range Rover.... decades of building and versatile from Banker to Builder and Farmer to Lord.... not many can achieve that. It's an art finding the iconic design line of an 911, Mini or Range Rover.... Porsche isn't there yet. 

The Macan in the photos is heavily camouflaged, it won't look exactly like the current Cayenne. Porsche used a very clever camo to "remind" people of the current Cayenne, so they overlook the real deal. 

The Macan is the bread and butter model (or will be, right now it is the Boxster), maybe we should discuss what "bread & butter (for me, it means cheapest model for low(er) incomes) means. Of course Macan buyers won't be all low(er) income customers and I am pretty sure that the most expensive Macan model (Turbo?) could be optioned up to 100k EUR and maybe more but I'm afraid the best selling Porsche Macan will be the least powerful Diesel because many customers will go for the brand because of the sporty image.

This is also the reason why many Porsche dealers may not really love the Macan since selling low priced new cars isn't really their thing (they rather prefer to sell used Porsche for the same money), especially since they need to provide the same service and dedication they show to buyers of the more expensive Porsche models. It will be a challenge for dealers, no doubt about it.

Yes, some Cayenne owners will switch but let's be honest, I doubt that someone used to the V8 or to the S Diesel Cayenne will switch to a Macan 4-cyl. Diesel or V6 fuel engine. Maybe to the Turbo (or supercharged version) but otherwise...I have my doubts. 

Personally, I'm not quite sure how Porsche is going to market the Macan, especially since the Audi Q5 counterparts will be very nice too. So this is going to be very interesting.

To be honest, I would not buy a Macan Diesel or fuel operated engine version with 200 or less hp but to each his own I guess. I already have issues with my 420 hp Cayenne GTS to keep off my back those powerful Diesel sedans or even SUVs over here, so it won't be real fun to drive a low powered Macan. On the other hand, the Cayenne Diesel is the best selling Porsche model in Germany, so maybe power isn't everything to most buyers. Time will tell...

Btw: If Porsche wants the Macan to be successful, they need a powerful V6 Diesel engine with at least 320 hp too. As far as I heard, the cheapest Diesel model will have 200 hp flat.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

I would only be interested in a Macan that offers similar performance as my Cayenne S. The performance should be Porsche worthy. indecision

I simply want a smaller car going forward. If not I will probably end up buying a powerfull BMW 3 or 5 series touring in a year or two. The only thing I don't like about my Cayenne is the size, but for now I really need the space.

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

993Targa:

I would only be interested in a Macan that offers similar performance as my Cayenne S. The performance should be Porsche worthy. indecision

I simply want a smaller car going forward. If not I will probably end up buying a powerfull BMW 3 or 5 series touring in a year or two. The only thing I don't like about my Cayenne is the size, but for now I really need the space.

The Cayenne is the top model, so the Macan in a specific class will never be faster than the Cayenne counterpart. The Macan could be faster in curves and turns but I also heard that the AWD of the Macan will be simplified vs. the Cayenne, also no air suspension with height control available and even PDCC is still a big question mark (PTV may be available though).

I guess in the end, it depends what you want...

Also don't forget that the Cayenne facelift is also due in 2014 (latest 2015), probably after the Macan introduction.

The Macan will be the entry level Porsche and while Porsche put a lot of development work in it (this isn't just a supped up Audi Q5), don't forget what kind of customer Porsche wants to attract with this car. On the other hand I am actually afraid that the Macan will cost Porsche a lot of Cayenne customers, so Porsche needs to be careful here.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

I hope Porsche has a version of the supercharged S4 engine in the macan. This should be the S model like Audi now uses in the 3.0TFSI model. I will buy that. And I believe many Cayenne owners would switch Macan. Some of us buy Cayenne because its a Porsche, or that it's the sportiest SUV out there. A lot of us dont actually like the size. But Macan will change that. Presumably it will still handle better than all it's competitors!

WAY:

I hope Porsche has a version of the supercharged S4 engine in the macan. This should be the S model like Audi now uses in the 3.0TFSI model. I will buy that. And I believe many Cayenne owners would switch Macan. Some of us buy Cayenne because its a Porsche, or that it's the sportiest SUV out there. A lot of us dont actually like the size. But Macan will change that. Presumably it will still handle better than all it's competitors!

I actually like the size of the Cayenne because it fits my family and all the luggage quite well. 

Macan performance should be quite OK but I wouldn't expect a power explosion. The Macan top model will never outrun the Cayenne top model and so on. Porsche needs to keep a "safe" distance to the Cayenne.

The Macan will very likely be the most successful Porsche in production history (right now it is the Cayenne), it will very likely outsell the Cayenne sooner or later. I still have my doubts however about the engines Porsche is going to use for the Macan. Don't forget that the Cayenne facelift comes with a power bump too and so does the next Cayenne generation.

--

RC:

Btw: If Porsche wants the Macan to be successful, they need a powerful V6 Diesel engine with at least 320 hp too. As far as I heard, the cheapest Diesel model will have 200 hp flat.

I read somewhere (autocar, I think) that the Macan will have the V6 diesel bi turbo from Audi ... which outputs 313hp on the Q5.

Not sure if the powerful Diesel will be available from the start. Apparently the low end Diesel and the most powerful fuel engine will be available from the start, the others I don't know.

--

Hopefully, the turbo version will be available from the start. My other concern with the Macan, besides power, is the room in the backseat and cargo space. I sat in a Q5 recently and found it rather cramped.  I was initially leaning toward a Macan as a replacement for my Cayenne, but I am now going to buy another Cayenne in the fall. My wife  and I both like the performance,  available options and room offered in the Cayenne.  It would be too hard giving all that up to go to a lower priced Macan.  Just not sure whether I will go for the Diesel or  a Cayenne.  My sense is Porsche will take the the same approach with the Macan  as they did when they launched the Boxster.  Initial models will be under powered and lack many of the featured found in the Cayenne. These launch models will bring in a new set of customers who otherwise would not buy a Porsche.  The long term play is that these new customers would trade up to the more aspirational Porsche models - Cayenne, Panamera, 911, Boxster, Cayman, etc.. Same way we got hooked Smiley

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2006 Cayenne Titanium Iceland Silver Metalic New York

The Macan luggage room won't be much different than the Q5 luggage room, so don't keep your hopes up. My wife got herself the new X3 35d and she really hoped that there will be the same room as in the X5 or Cayenne. What a huge mistake. In real world environments, every inch counts to fit your luggage, so the X3 wasn't really the best choice from that particular perspective. We are going to use the Cayenne for our next ski trip because she just realized yesterday that with four helmets, some jackets and four pairs of ski boots, the luggage room is already almost full. 

The V6 used in the Macan top model could be supercharged but it would be a pity. Why? Well...911 Turbo, Panamera Turbo, Cayenne Turbo...Macan Turbo. You get my point, the Turbo has a tradition with Porsche but let's see which one makes it...the supercharger or the turbo. yes Maybe both. 

From my calculations, the Macan top model needs to have at least 360 hp to be competitive. The top Diesel model needs to have 330 hp at least. These models will not be cheap I'm afraid but I think that the fuel operated base model (rumored 220-230 hp), which btw. could be turbo charged too, unless Porsche decides to use a V6 instead (which I would welcome for marketing purposes), will start slightly below or at 40k EUR. Unless of course Porsche decides to market the base Diesel as the cheapest entry level model, which could make sense. 

--

Porsche traditionally launches the higher-end models first. The Cayenne and Panamera, for example, launched with the S and Turbo models before being joined by the V6 and Hybrid a few months later.

I remember reading an interview with Porsche's R&D head Wolfgang Hatz that the Macan will be the first modern Porsche with a four-cylinder engine, but I don't think Porsche will plunk a new, home-built powertrain into it. Seeing as this is a Porsche-themed exercise of parts-sharing, it'll most likely be the venerable 2.0 TFSI doing duty in VWs and Audis. Should put it ahead of the competition, but I'm not expecting jaw-dropping performance from any of the Macans. I think the Macan Turbo will match or slightly better the performance of the current Cayenne GTS - mid- to low-five second 0-100 runs and so on, but well away from the Cayenne Turbo's sub-five second times.

RC - isn't Porsche retooling the Panamera's V6 engine for duty in the Macan Turbo? I read many articles saying that the engine will be modified with two turbochargers, up the power to 370 hp and have the displacement reduced to 3.0 liters. This would allow the top-end model to reach many markets - particularly China - where taxes on engine displacement can more than double the car's price.

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S

I really don't have a clue what engines Porsche will use in the Macan (and if I knew, I would probably keep my mouth shut for various reasons...the Macan is still too far away...if you get my point) but a 6 cyl. should be the top engine in the Macan, both for the Diesel and fuel (gasoline) operated models. Of course an "Über-Macan" with V8 engine would be super cool but I doubt it. Yes, there will be two engines with 4-cyl. as far as I heard, one Diesel, one fuel(gasoline) operated. Both should deliver similar power, around 200 hp.

So far, I heard about two 4 cyl. (Diesel and gasoline) engines, one very powerful V6 Diesel (very likely turbo or twin turbo charged) and one very powerful V6 fuel (gasoline) engine, which is supercharged or turbo charged. The top model, according to rumors about preliminary results hits 0-100 kph slightly under 5 seconds  (I don't know more but it is fast). I also heard that there will be a second Diesel engine later on, somewhere in the middle between the two other Diesel engines. This is valid for the German market, don't know about other markets.

I also heard a strong rumor that Porsche plans to produce at least one Porsche model in the US. The Macan would fit quite nicely...I think. Especially since there are rumors of an Audi Q5 production too (there have been similar rumors a couple of years ago but this seems to be different now since Volkswagen would produce two different models on practically the same production line). Again...rumors...this could be just hogwash.  Don't should the messenger or in this case, the gossiper. indecision

--

Mexico was chosen as the Q5 North American production site, so I doubt it would be produced in the US.

mstams:

Mexico was chosen as the Q5 North American production site, so I doubt it would be produced in the US.

I doubt that Porsche would produce in Mexico but I could imagine some sort of an assembly deal for the US.

Some sort of an assembly plant in the US which gets most of the pre-mounted parts  delivered from Mexico, this could work.

--

Rossi:

Quite nice, but anyone else thinks the rear looks a bit weird?

Yes!

Have you seen the actual rear?   

wink

--

I stand divided on the sharply raked rear screen; at this rate, how good the whole rear will look depends on how the lights, the license plate space, the rear panel and lower panel/exhaust pipes are designed and integrated.

What's camouflage for, eh? 

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S

rulesdontapply:

I stand divided on the sharply raked rear screen; at this rate, how good the whole rear will look depends on how the lights, the license plate space, the rear panel and lower panel/exhaust pipes are designed and integrated.

What's camouflage for, eh? 

rulesdontapply

Smiley 

--

My dealer tells me three models will be introduced simultaneously, Macan, Macan S and Macan Turbo.  That's different from the Cayenne where the S and Turbo came out first and then a year or two later the base model was introduced. 

RC:
    WAY:

I actually like the size of the Cayenne because it fits my family and all the luggage quite well. 

Yes, I like it too when if we go on a drive holiday.  Difference between us though, it that I live pretty much in the city centre!  So large cars is getting to me of late.  Our 7 series is too long also, which is a different problem than Cayenne which is too wide.  Ideally something like a Macan would be good for the wife, or maybe I should just get her a RS4... 

GM Austin:

My dealer tells me three models will be introduced simultaneously, Macan, Macan S and Macan Turbo.  That's different from the Cayenne where the S and Turbo came out first and then a year or two later the base model was introduced. 

Without a Diesel, the Macan would be a dead fish in the water over here in Europe. I actually think that there will be demand for a Diesel Macan in the US too sooner or later.

To make it short: There will be at least four different Macan models from the start but probably not worldwide.

--

RC:

I doubt that Porsche would produce in Mexico but I could imagine some sort of an assembly deal for the US.

Some sort of an assembly plant in the US which gets most of the pre-mounted parts  delivered from Mexico, this could work.

Agreed.  The VW plant in my hometown of Chattanooga, TN has plenty of room for expansion.  There were rumors it was in the running for Q5 production but ultimately lost out to Mexico.  It would be cool if it were produced here.

i read somewhere that US, well really California, diesel reg's converge with the Euro diesiel rules so i don't expect to see much activity in NA for a few years yet.

--

2012 991 C2S -PDK / 2010 997.2 turbo cab manual, sold / 2008 Cayenne GTS Manual /2008 RS 60 sold /04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

CPA4S:

i read somewhere that US, well really California, diesel reg's converge with the Euro diesiel rules so i don't expect to see much activity in NA for a few years yet.

Porsche already sells the Cayenne Diesel in North America, also various other manufacturers like BMW or Mercedes offer Diesel models for the NA market. California? Well...it is a big market but considering the remaining US, not so much. Smiley

--

RC:

Porsche already sells the Cayenne Diesel in North America, also various other manufacturers like BMW or Mercedes offer Diesel models for the NA market. California? Well...it is a big market but considering the remaining US, not so much. Smiley

In the old days, half of Porsche's output went to Southern California, we had dealers in almost every city. Then the rest of the world discovered Porsche

--

Porsche owner since 1975.

vtrader:
    RC:

In the old days, half of Porsche's output went to Southern California, we had dealers in almost every city. Then the rest of the world discovered Porsche

--

Porsche owner since 1975.

Smiley Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM