Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

2000 mile break-in done hooray! (pics warning)

Time, weather, and travel has influenced the time its taken me to get to the 2000 mile mark. Today the stars were aligned just right and I went for a long drive on some of our roads. Gorgeous crisp weather and at the 2000 mile marker.... I let her rip! 

--

'13 991S - Plat/Silver-PDK-PDCC-SPASM-SC-PSE-CS whl/plat

Re: 2000 mile break-in done hooray! (pics warning)

Beau-ti-ful Haku. kiss  I can only imagine how much fun you had going through the gears and letting the PDK do the work. Do you see many cops where you live? Here in southern California they were everywhere today, and I had to be very cautious. Hopefully there will be many more beautiful days so you can drive and post more photos! wink

--

If I don't fly, I drive my .:RS 

The PDK in this generation os so much better than on the 997.2 that I had. I hated it on that car so much that I switched to a 997.2 GT3 just after 3 months!

We have very few police around here. Although we are in rural and sparsely populated countryside, like most I do respect traffic limits around any habitation and farms.

We are very lucky to have incredible driving roads here... but then again you have some great ones in California too.

--

Beautiful - 'Singer Nice' (Almost)

Fabulous car, magnificent scenery, great roads, perfect weather - what more could one ask for! Smiley

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

Once more, fantastic pictures Haku!
    Makes me wanna go out and photograph some nice landscapes.
    Sadly, sky, land and nature now all have one color: GREY... :-P

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Can i just say i wasnt told to wait 2000 miles before belting the engine and drove it hard from day dot :s o sexy car really lovely!

Haku - congrats on the 'perfect drive' and the great pics...kiss

Could you please enlarge upon the improvement you find between PDK on your current 991 and that on your previous 997.2?

Thank you very much in advance.... wink

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

A beautifull day, fantastic roads and a great looking 991 . what else ?

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

John H:

Haku - congrats on the 'perfect drive' and the great pics...kiss

Could you please enlarge upon the improvement you find between PDK on your current 991 and that on your previous 997.2?

Thank you very much in advance.... wink

Thank you all for your comments.

John, I'll try to explain without going into the technicalities of the PDK system which I'm not super hot on anyway.

The primary difference I've found is that it feels far more responsive and connected to the overall "driving experience" that one expects and may be used to on a 911. My experience (which may be different to others) of the 997.2  PDK was of it being a far more subdued gearing feel....it felt like driving an automatic or tiptronic. There was a noticeable delay or lag upon shifting which just felt odd, uncomfortable, and mainly uninspiring.

With the addition of all the suspension and engine related changes that Porsche have made on the 991S, the PDK just feels far more in tune with the 911 experience that I love. In normal mode the gear shifts are instant and precise. In the other Sports modes especially in Sport Plus the shifts are crisp , deliberate, and for the most part driver input responsive rather than just automatic shifting. There is also a degree of harshness that I missed before... a much better feeling of something being raw. I love it. I don't think the current PDK feel is perfect but its a huge huge improvement over its predecessor. I had my doubts when I went for it this time around but I'm happy with my choice.

I'm waiting to see what the much rumoured about GT3 PDK will be like. I know there are those who just don't like the idea of PDK on a GT3 but I think it'll be special and am looking forward to it. Time will tell.

--

It was a tough job but someone had to do it. Now you can really enjoy it!

Many thanks Haku for your reply.

I've heard other 997.2 PDK owners complain of the experiences you describe.  I don't have any of those issues with my 997 GTS.  I've been wondering if Porsche changed the PDK set-up, for my car, together with the engine and suspension mods they introduced with the GTS?

During my first service, which I had last week, two software updates were installed and the result is an even more enjoyable PDK experience, together with an even smoother all-round drive...devil

Sorry if I've hi-jacked your thread, but I would really recommend those software updates to any 997.2 owners who haven't yet had them done...wink

--

John H:

I would really recommend those software updates to any 997.2 owners who haven't yet had them done...wink

Mine was serviced last September - I'll ask the dealer if these updates were done Smiley

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

John H:

I've heard other 997.2 PDK owners complain of the experiences you describe.  I don't have any of those issues with my 997 GTS.  I've been wondering if Porsche changed the PDK set-up, for my car, together with the engine and suspension mods they introduced with the GTS?

During my first service, which I had last week, two software updates were installed and the result is an even more enjoyable PDK experience, together with an even smoother all-round drive...devil

Sorry if I've hi-jacked your thread, but I would really recommend those software updates to any 997.2 owners who haven't yet had them done...wink

John, I think there were significant changes on the PDK setup for the 997.2 GTS. Mine was a C4S and I really did not enjoy it. 

--

Haku:
    John, I think there were significant changes on the PDK setup for the 997.2 GTS.

Haku - I think you may well be right, but no way of knowing for sure...Smiley

Bottom line... I'm really pleased that you're totally happy with your 991 and wish you many enjoyable miles with this remarkable and beautiful machine...Smiley

--

John H:

I am with you John. I am experiencing none of the issues mentioned by other Rennteamers. I can only compare it to the PDK Cayman I had before where the Sport mode was so jerky I hardly used it. The GTS on the other is always driven in Sport mode. I will get the upgrades done soon

I also do not have these complaints about PDK ( other's I might  ) and I have one of the very first batch of PDK ( my car was the first PDK in this area ) . When I test drove the 991 PDK I did not feel that much of a difference in the gear box, but maybe I missed something as I test drove it only 90 min 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I think the PDK impressions (both perceptive and physical) on the 991 are to do with a combination of PDK software and overall changes to the model that Porsche have made. We all know the car drives quite differently to the 997's. My experience of the previous generation of PDK (997.2 C4S) was hugely influenced by the vast change I noticed in the reduced amount of "driver involvement" that I had enjoyed in all my prior P cars which were manual trannys. 

I'm sure that so much is about personal impressions and we know that varies from person to person. I do feel that for me the 991S with the right options have resulted in a better "PDK experience" than before. Thankfully I'm super happy with the 991S PDK and its been a night and day difference between it and my 997.2 C4S. It would have an expensive fix otherwise!

Lets see what the GT3 offerings are like... rumors are that it will be PDK!

--

Hey Haku. You always post amazing pics of your beautiful car . Hope you always enjoy it in good health. Is SPASM bothering you at all? I ordered my car with SPASM so still waiting patiently. Every time I see pics with SPASM I worry about scratching the front lip 

@Haku: I am glad you are enjoying your 991 so much. Who wouldn't?  Smiley

As to the 997.2 PDK, my car was produced in 12/2008, i.e. one of the earlier PDK cars, and I have none of the issues you describe. It adapts very quickly to driving style and I enjoy it either in M or D in all 3 modes. The OPC did some updates the first one a few months after the car was purchased. Actually the engine/transmission get better and  better in terms of refinement and performance as the kilometers add up.

--

"Form follows function"

No complains about PDK on my 07/09 build Carrera!!!!! It works fine with no issues at all.

J.Seven

OG911:

Hey Haku. You always post amazing pics of your beautiful car . Hope you always enjoy it in good health. Is SPASM bothering you at all? I ordered my car with SPASM so still waiting patiently. Every time I see pics with SPASM I worry about scratching the front lip 

Thank you OG.

SPASM is no bother at all and I would recommend it without any reservations. I've only scrapped the lip a couple of times and it is not even noticeable. Its cheap and easy enough to replace even if one damages it badly (which would take a lot to do). 

Enjoy your car when it arrives and I'm sure you'll be super happy with it.

--

Am approaching a year and 11k miles with SPASM. The spoiler is still there; some scuffs invisibleon the underside. I popped it off once backing down a steep incline driveway, and popped it right back on. Very easy to avoid a repeat. There is greater clearance than my prior car (Boxter S RS-60); the ride is supple, and not harsh even in Sport Plus. The handling, feel and stance are "just right".  For what you get and how well it all works together on the street or track- It is a bargain option.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM