Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: F1

Futch, when you will look on 917/30 - chassis 003?))) 

--

sportcars-history.com

No welcome. Simply love those Le Mans clips.
    Hope to read your driving experiences soon.! And hope you like the car.! :)

Just took Cesar for a spin, dry weather but temperatures close to freezing, highly ideal for a 650hp 1050 car but hey, tomorrow it's snowing so what the hell.

Impressions are, well, I don't think there are words strong enough to describe what an utterly outrageous experience it is to drive a Le Mans Mclaren F1 GTR on the road.

Congratulations to Paul Lanzante for an amazing conversion. The car is really really driveable, the clutch is light, the gearlever lateral movement is tiny but you get used to it, you just need to be firm with your right hand, the steering is mega sweet. The experience is dominated by the noise (the best ever), the driving position (the best ever) and the engine (the best ever).

Enough said isn't it?

I didn't floor it because of the cold tyres but took all the way to 6000/7000 rpm and the car just pulls and pulls, it's relentless. The torque available is phenomenal, I drove off by mistake in 3rd gear, no problem, 6th gear at 100 kmh on the motorway and it just pulls. Remember this is a car that did the 24h of Le Mans 95.

BMW motorists are not engineers, they are wizzards.Smiley

Downsides? Your mate sits behind you so you can't see him (so what?). There's not cup holder or ashtray and the ventilation is on all the time, so I was freezing my balls off and my hands were blue.

Next drive, track in Spain.

More to follow.

IMG-20130117-00385.jpg

What about trying 956?)))

--

sportcars-history.com

kudryavchik:

What about trying 956?)))

Yes I will drive it in Spain too. But not on the road, as it isn't roadlegal and I don't intend to make it roadlegal. Scary car though... To cockpit is tiny!

Futch:

There's not cup holder or ashtray [...]

Thanks for your detailed and honest consumer report. Smiley

Thanks your comments! It was fantastic to read!
    Very interesting and glad you liked the car. I just can not say anything becouse you know what I will be saying here but very pleased to hear you liked it. Hope to read your experiences more and have some images also of the car and why not videos also? Would that be possible?

Anyway, Thanks for sharing this!!! Smiley

Futch, i do not believe a word of what you wrote, but hey let me drive it, i will try to describe it with my own words...

On a serious note, congrats on this masterpiece. I hope she will give you many hours of sheer driving pleasure.

Bravo!

Can't wait to read your impressions on driving the other car too... is the Zeus license plate available for the other one? smiley

--

There is no try. Just do.

Sure it wasn't the other way round? Frozen hands and blue balls? 

Thanks for all your posts lately, they make this forum the best on the net. Enjoy your cars in good health! kiss

spudgun:

Thanks for all your posts lately, they make this forum the best on the net. Enjoy your cars in good health! kiss

+1 !

Enmanuel:
    spudgun:

+1 !

+ several others! Smiley

Why's the ventilation on all the the time ? no switches to turn it off ? or just get rid of it and lose weight ? smiley

Speaking of cold tires, I finally lost traction in 2nd gear yesterday in the GT2 on Michelin PSS tires, but it wasn't as scary as the cup tires that seem to do it a lot in all four seasons early in the morning  indecision

BiTurbo:

Why's the ventilation on all the the time ? no switches to turn it off ? or just get rid of it and lose weight ? smiley

Speaking of cold tires, I finally lost traction in 2nd gear yesterday in the GT2 on Michelin PSS tires, but it wasn't as scary as the cup tires that seem to do it a lot in all four seasons early in the morning  indecision

They seem to be more like open air vents than a proper ventilation system, so word of advice for GTR drivers, not ideal in icy weather and super hot weather, because another issue is that the car has no window, just fixed plexis.

Michelin Supersports are excellent tyres, good choice, Cups are nice but need to be warm to work well, also don't last very long and don't like standing water, but great performance tyres.

On the GTR, they are standard Michelin pilot sport which will get shattered in about 10 min if I drive it on the track. Trying to get a set of four additional wheels and slicks.

Thanks for the  kind words guys.

picture below, the infamous air vent blowing freezing air onto the passenger's balls.

IMG-20130117-00384.jpg

I have only sat in one but never taken for a ride. Is it true the noise in the cabin from the engine is so loud that would not be able to speak to a passenger unless you were shouting?

--

Futch:

... so word of advice for GTR drivers ...

It's so funny that Francois says that like he's talking about a VW Golf that anyone could have in their garage. 

Smiley

Thanks for the onboard image. Sure GTR is a bit different car to live with than any Lamborghini or Ferrari.
    You only have to watch from Youtube that Fifth Gear's episode Enzo vs McLaren F1, where Tiff Needell drives first Enzo and then that also roadlegal #16R GTR, and I think anyone can see how much he loved the GTR....:)

Looking forward to see more images. :)

Enmanuel:
    Futch:

It's so funny that Francois says that like he's talking about a VW Golf that anyone could have in their garage. 

Smiley

In other forums "GTR" would used to refer to a completely other car Smiley

kudryavchik:

Futch, when you will look on 917/30 - chassis 003?))) 

917 values have gone silly. There is one that I have in mind but it will take a long time. I'm working on it.

MKSGR:
    Enmanuel:
    Futch:

Smiley

In other forums "GTR" would used to refer to a completely other car Smiley

Yes true sorry, I think there's like maybe 10 of us worldwide!Smiley

Regarding communication, there is an intercom system in the car, just like in any rallye cars so that's really good as it allows you to speak to your passenger without shouting and also allows for quiet long journeys, well sort of. Speaking of long journeys, you lose the side boots of the road car but you gain all the space on the right hand side, you can put soft bags, jackets, etc and leave for a long weekend, like goodwood or Le Mans.

Just occured to me that without windows and with the central position, motorways tolls are going to be quite a challenge.Smiley

Another irritation one has to get used to, there is no fuel gauge in the car, there is a fuel used read out on the motec like screen, just like a race car. Well that's because, it is a race car... 

So one has to monitor that regularly not go empty. Another potentially very embarassing moment.

finGTR:

Thanks for the onboard image. Sure GTR is a bit different car to live with than any Lamborghini or Ferrari.
    You only have to watch from Youtube that Fifth Gear's episode Enzo vs McLaren F1, where Tiff Needell drives first Enzo and then that also roadlegal #16R GTR, and I think anyone can see how much he loved the GTR....:)

Looking forward to see more images. :)

I watched that video several times in excitement of my own drive!Smiley It is a very nice video. The noise is pretty much accurate.

What turned out as a good surprise though is the steering and turning cycle, Tiff mentions a very tight turning circle but my GTR was perfectly fine and very easy to drive in London traffic.

Oh another thing is how popular the car is, man, I've driven some nice cars on the roads and I get all sorts of reactions(always a mix of good and bad). the Carrera GT is beloved by the public for example, so is the F40, but this was just insane! And in a good way! Thumbs up all around, camera phones out everywhere.

"Nice paintwork!" "Woah, an F1!" Kids smiling, etc etc etc.

Not really what a petrolhead is after when driving a car but it definitely puts a smile on your face.Smiley

God saves the Queen! (and munich...)Smiley

Futch:
    BiTurbo:

They seem to be more like open air vents than a proper ventilation system, so word of advice for GTR drivers, not ideal in icy weather and super hot weather, because another issue is that the car has no window, just fixed plexis.

Michelin Supersports are excellent tyres, good choice, Cups are nice but need to be warm to work well, also don't last very long and don't like standing water, but great performance tyres.

On the GTR, they are standard Michelin pilot sport which will get shattered in about 10 min if I drive it on the track. Trying to get a set of four additional wheels and slicks.

Thanks for the  kind words guys.

picture below, the infamous air vent blowing freezing air onto the passenger's balls.

IMG-20130117-00384.jpg

Lol, such an outrageous sight on public roads, especially remembering that thing used to thunder along the Mulsanne straight. Smiley

Is the gearbox fully manual in GTR's, like it is in the roadcar, or paddle-operated?

Would you take it to the 24H of LM this year? Should be one of the best trips you could make in this car, imo.

Gearbox is good old H pattern manual.

Yes that's the plan, I will drive it to Le Mans in June!SmileySmiley

Futch, how about you pay Knightsbridge a visit and melt down all the supercars  ? smiley

BiTurbo:

Futch, how about you pay Knightsbridge a visit and melt down all the supercars  ? smiley

I live closeby and the last thing I would want is to be assimilted to all these idiots driving supercars in circles all days. Nice eye candy though. Smiley

But no, the GTR is above that!Smiley

Aaah ok kiss

Hope to see some vbox figures (0 - 1000m, 100km/h - 200km/h - 300km/h) and compare it to the standard F1

It must be something to see this car on the road in London. kiss

I remember watching that Best Motoring Video 16 years ago.  

That 5th gear acceleration is what gives me the goose bumps.  Need balls to floor it and watch it accelerate like that.

Futch:

Gearbox is good old H pattern manual.

Yes that's the plan, I will drive it to Le Mans in June!SmileySmiley

Good to hear, I'll be there too. BMW's famous induction music will be very well represented at LM this year! Smiley

Futch:
    Oh another thing is how popular the car is, man, I've driven some nice cars on the roads and I get all sorts of reactions(always a mix of good and bad). the Carrera GT is beloved by the public for example, so is the F40, but this was just insane! And in a good way! Thumbs up all around, camera phones out everywhere.

"Nice paintwork!" "Woah, an F1!" Kids smiling, etc etc etc.

Not really what a petrolhead is after when driving a car but it definitely puts a smile on your face.Smiley

It seems like McLaren's brand prestige is on another level above Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini. I have the same reactions even in the lesser MP4-12C.

Could be the trade mark McLaren doors :) 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689950 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409441 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255839 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235074 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65582 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858187 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774298 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM