Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2013 Mercedes E 63 AMG

I had the new E63 AMG next to me at the petrol station. Have to say the new front looks really good on the car. Also the rear lights are a huge improvements. The lady driving the car was a test driver, apprx. 50 years old and everything else you would think a MB Test driver should look like. She was nice, I had a chat with her. She said the performance is stronger but it is so strong that you hardly can feel the difference.  The suspension and driving behavior didnt change much either, its more some more gizmos.

When she started the engine it was very clear what the E63 AMG is all about..... this is not noise this is music at its finest! Great sound!!! 

Lars997:

I had the new E63 AMG next to me at the petrol station. Have to say the new front looks really good on the car. Also the rear lights are a huge improvements. The lady driving the car was a test driver, apprx. 50 years old and everything else you would think a MB Test driver should look like. She was nice, I had a chat with her. She said the performance is stronger but it is so strong that you hardly can feel the difference.  The suspension and driving behavior didnt change much either, its more some more gizmos.

When she started the engine it was very clear what the E63 AMG is all about..... this is not noise this is music at its finest! Great sound!!! 

The biggest improvement is the new AWD - no doubt. With RWD, a powerful sedan is really useless Smiley

MKSGR:
    Lars997:

The biggest improvement is the new AWD - no doubt. With RWD, a powerful sedan is really useless Smiley

It is fun to drive...for a while but then it gets tiresome, especially when you use it as a daily driver. Not recommended.

I gave away my C63 Coupe with a big tear, it was an amazing car, very stealth and with an amazing exhaust/engine sound but it started to annoy me so much that I decided to get rid of it until it really starts loosing value. With AWD, I would have kept it for sure.

People who defend powerful RWD cars may enjoy driving them on the track but whoever claims that it is fun driving such a car all the time on a public road, should get a reality check. It isn't. Unless you are 20 something and want to attract a lot of attention. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:
    MKSGR:
    Lars997:

It is fun to drive...for a while but then it gets tiresome, especially when you use it as a daily driver. Not recommended.

I gave away my C63 Coupe with a big tear, it was an amazing car, very stealth and with an amazing exhaust/engine sound but it started to annoy me so much that I decided to get rid of it until it really starts loosing value. With AWD, I would have kept it for sure.

People who defend powerful RWD cars may enjoy driving them on the track but whoever claims that it is fun driving such a car all the time on a public road, should get a reality check. It isn't. Unless you are 20 something and want to attract a lot of attention. Smiley

My wife's M3 was a useless car in snowy conditions... Zero traction, too much weight on the front axle. Why would one need a sedan if it cannot be used in all weather conditions? A sedan is always a compromise - and if one goes with a compromise it should at least be useful Smiley

Next BMW M5 will be AWD, isnt it?

New E63 AMG S with some options is around 130K € in Germany with Mwst. That included 300km/h limiter, full navi with dvd, harman sound system etc. If you add Ceramics and B&O soundsystem you can end at 145K €...

BTW, E63 AMG S weight is 1940kg. So, in real life it will be marginally lighter then PTS.

still really enjoy my c63 pp sedan. but yes, getting grip onto the rears is really an issue. with now 18-20 Celsius and colder Asphalt, it is almost impossible to even slightly step on it from standstill.....without traction control ist ridiculous.

btw, have been experiencing some White smoke when driving a really short distance when car sat over night and then starting again after a short while. both are cold starts. anyone else experienced this with the 6.2 engine ?

it only occurs with cold starts. massive cloud of White smoke. i used to also get this on my 997 Turbo. but with the 63 ist more smoke.

car sounds and drives normally.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

still really enjoy my c63 pp sedan. but yes, getting grip onto the rears is really an issue. with now 18-20 Celsius and colder Asphalt, it is almost impossible to even slightly step on it from standstill.....without traction control ist ridiculous.

btw, have been experiencing some White smoke when driving a really short distance when car sat over night and then starting again after a short while. both are cold starts. anyone else experienced this with the 6.2 engine ?

it only occurs with cold starts. massive cloud of White smoke. i used to also get this on my 997 Turbo. but with the 63 ist more smoke.

The white smoke is burned oil. No problem with the Porsches Smiley

i know ist normal for the Porsche Turbos....and i guess ist normal with the amg 63 too.

just checking if anyone experiences it too or knows more...

i have not experienced it on my sls however...then again i hardly drive it and therefore did not replicate the cold start/short distance/cold start issue...

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

Same here with my former C63 Coupe, it started when the temperature dropped below 15°C or so. Don't know if it is normal but car was in a perfect condition when I sold it.

You know what my perfect daily driver would be? A Cayenne GTS with the Panamera Turbo S engine (just the engine, not the exhaust... Smiley) and 200 kg less weight. Nothing more needed for my daily pleasure. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:
    MKSGR:
    Lars997:

RC don´t forget not everybody leaves in cold weather like yours, for warmer countries the 4WD is the one useless. I would never buy a M5 4WD where I leave (if they made one), having 2WD with 280hp on each rear wheel is the funny part of the game Smiley

J.Seven

RC:

The new front looks pretty aggressive, let's see how it is accepted by customers who drive an AMG because they want a subtle powerful car.  Yes, the AWD will hugely improve acceleration times, 0-100 kph times should be under 4 seconds. Porsche needs to be careful not to loose (performance) ground here. I don't think the E63 facelift will have a greatly improved chassis but it will be a very fast car on the straight line.

It looks like AMG was thinking about the concern you raise as well. 

http://blog.caranddriver.com/stealthy-business-line-exterior-package-available-for-euro-spec-2014-mercedes-benz-e63-amg/

The 4WD would make sense in very strong cars and if you live in the mountains. I live in the black forest of Germany... also a known cold area but still hear I dont have problems with the 2WD in strong winters. The modern cars do have so many gizmos.... I think the 4WD is for cars up to 400HP (and normal weight) totally overrated. If I see a C63 which is light and totally overpowered its a different story.

For example - I have choosen the integral-active-steering in my BMW 7 ahead of the 4WD (you can't combine both). Also I did the same for the Porsche as I wanted to have the little bit more trunk space and the Porsche handles so easy and fun with the 2WD, I just didnt want to have the 4WD option. On a Turbo I would have choosen different (even though there is no choice - I know). While I'm happy having it at the Range Rover a versatile car I take to the mountains for skiing every weekend and as I'm going for hunting I love to have it out in the rough - it must have 4WD.

For me 4WD is an option I still consider on the car specifics and the purpose.

Lars997:

The 4WD would make sense in very strong cars and if you live in the mountains. I live in the black forest of Germany... also a known cold area but still hear I dont have problems with the 2WD in strong winters. The modern cars do have so many gizmos.... I think the 4WD is for cars up to 400HP (and normal weight) totally overrated. If I see a C63 which is light and totally overpowered its a different story.

For example - I have choosen the integral-active-steering in my BMW 7 ahead of the 4WD (you can't combine both). Also I did the same for the Porsche as I wanted to have the little bit more trunk space and the Porsche handles so easy and fun with the 2WD, I just didnt want to have the 4WD option. On a Turbo I would have choosen different (even though there is no choice - I know). While I'm happy having it at the Range Rover a versatile car I take to the mountains for skiing every weekend and as I'm going for hunting I love to have it out in the rough - it must have 4WD.

For me 4WD is an option I still consider on the car specifics and the purpose.

True but not all people want to drift on public streets Smiley  (BMW M3 has "only" 420 hp for example) and I've seen my share of BMW 7 series stuck in snow, just last week at a stop light at a slightly inclined street (OK, the driver may have been an idiot because he accelerated way too hard).

Overall, I think that a 100 hp car doesn't need AWD but the E63 will definitely benefit from it, no doubt about it. Also keep in mind that not everybody can afford two or three cars, many people who want to drive a "decent" car (luxurious and/or fast, etc.) need to choose one car, so they need to make a compromise. I think that Mercedes is very very clever by offering a choice. So does BMW lately with offering xDrive for almost all models. I also think that if BMW would offer xDrive for the new M5/M6, Porsche would have a stiff competition for their Panamera 4S and GTS/Turbo/Turbo S. The Mercedes E63 AMG AWD model will already put a lot of pressure on Porsche because to be honest, I don't think I would have paid 50k EUR more for the Panamera Turbo S, just for the brand and a better track performance only. The M5 AWD would be even cheaper.

Choice is the magic word and I think that BMW and now Mercedes/AMG have understood that very well. I am just curious if BMW M GmbH got the message too. Smiley

--

RC:
    The Mercedes E63 AMG AWD model will already put a lot of pressure on Porsche because to be honest, I don't think I would have paid 50k EUR more for the Panamera Turbo S, just for the brand and a better track performance only. The M5 AWD would be even cheaper.

the CLS63 is more a Panamera competitor .. 4 seats like the Panamera, and coupe(ish) too. CLS63 is about 10k Euros more, I think.

I don't know if the people who buy Panamera would buy a CLS. I hate the CLS, I think this car is completely over styled and just Saturday, I saw the new CLS shooting brake, the front looks like CLS (I like the new LED headlights a lot) but when I saw the sideline and the rear, the first thing to come into my mind was: UGLY. Just plain ugly. Of course I didn't like the Panamera from the start too much either but I don't know, the CLS shooting brake just beats the ugliness of the  Panamera rear and the sedan isn't much better. I like the BMW Grand Coupe more, it is just at the limit of over styling it but the CLS went way too far. I get it, some people want to make a point by driving a CLS and they want people to look at the car but in my book, the CLS is not elegant but stylish. In a couple of years, people may not be able to look at it anymore.

--

True - I also dont think that Panamera and CLS are really competitors here at least in Europe/Germany. It might be different in the US where the appearance and image of both cars are more comparable. 

I guess there are still to many Taxis which are Mercedes Sedans in Germany.... it just gives the wrong image :)

E63 4matic AMG-s might win my vote, all depends on how they price it and the level of customization that they will offer

--

2012 Cayenne TT, 2014 Panamera TT facelift on order :)

BlackSparrow:

E63 4matic AMG-s might win my vote, all depends on how they price it and the level of customization that they will offer

Well...it surely will beat Porsche with their Panamera Turbo S by a longshot and while I really love my PTS, I wouldn't want to pay a 50k EUR premium just for the brand name. Porsche needs to be superior, incl. straight line acceleration, to the new E63 AMG, otherwise Panamera Turbo and Turbo S sales will drop drastically.

I am a loyal Porsche customer but I won't pay a huge premium just for the brand only. I need to get something in return for my money. Smiley

--

My beef with Porsche that MB has covered out of the gate:

1. Nice multifunction wheel with paddles
    2. Glass roof
    3. Sound

my issue with MB:

1. No air suspension?
    2. E63 looks more like every man's car compared with panamera.
    3. interior details: although interior is better than BMW's, it falls behind the panamera

the navi screen on both cars can be popping up to save space and be larger... At the moment I actually like Porsche's navi screen better than MB's. let's see what Panamera facelift might change.  Or let's see what Panamera will become in 2015... Not to far away actually at the pace life has been racing

--

They hate the transmission and so will you lol. Once you're used to ZF's 8-speed or PDK, mercedes' 7speed might kill the joy... They do not really say how the car handles in the corners or if you can achieve a suspension comfort setting for DD

--

I also don't trust a publication which does a comparison with a Panamera S (not Turbo or Turbo S...just the S).

--

AMG Business Package: Customers can order the E63 AMG without any flashy spoilers, optical changes and even without the colored brake calipers with AMG lettering. Finally a company which understands what European customers want. 

--

RC:

AMG Business Package: Customers can order the E63 AMG without any flashy spoilers, optical changes and even without the colored brake calipers with AMG lettering. Finally a company which understands what European customers want. 

So, AMG aerodynamic package is a joke? I am wondering how will they incorporate AMG exhaust in that business packageSmiley Four exhaust pipes will look silly on taxi like E class.Smiley

I don't have a clue. I just have been told today that there will be a business package available which will reduce the optical AMG enhancements to a point where the car doesn't scream "I am an AMG Mercedes" anymore.

The caliper thing is already an interesting approach...BMW actually started to offer blue colored M calipers for their cars, my X5M still had the black ones which was great because nobody really recognized the car (the quad exhaust isn't really that obvious to many people, it could be aftermarket ).

--

Always better to go stealth

Upsa - depends on where and who you are.  Only sith lords think in absolutes ;)

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130204/CARREVIEWS/130209936

I really like this review of E63, they're actually talking about suspension and its modes....  The car is too seducing to buy :)

--

In latest AZ E63 AMG S was tested againt M5. Weight of both car is the same 1985kg(mmeasured).

E63 S was faster till 100km/h by 0.7s(3.6s), but difference till 160km/h was just 0.3s and on the track M5 was faster.

Rumor that I heard is the M5 is actually after 220km/h faster then E63 S and that till 300km/h difference is not small at all.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM