Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: F1

nberry:

You seem to top yourself every six months. An incredible assortment of prized cars.

Several years ago I had an opportunity to sit in the middle driver seat. At the time it was being converted to meet US emission standards. They started it up for me and WOW what a sound. I was blown away. You are going to have yourself a ball playing with it. I cannot imagine the "high" you will get driving it.

ENVIOUS!

Same high you use to get during your Starbucks days  Nick Smiley  ...I know, cheap shot  Smiley

Futch, I HATE you, you just banged and married my all time dream girl!!!!!!!  I better not know you are buying the 959 too haha.

Congrats buddy, you just crested Mike S to be the top car collector here.

Officially there are 106 F1 made and 1 spare chassis. That chassis has already been used to repair a car. I believed there are less than 70 of those are street legal. Some owners have more than 1 car. Ralph has 3 I believe, Sultan of Brunai has 8, Saudi Royal family has 5. McLaren kept 2 I believe. "Mr. Bean" has one. 2 more that I personally know are not for sale at any price. 

Available cars for sale is shrinking quickly :)

Welcome to the McLaren owners club, haha. Our numbers are growing here on Rennteam.

Congratulations Futch!  It looks fantastic!  I don't see the artwork being so over-the-top.  The monochrome treatment gives it some reserve.  And the body of the F1 still looks great, so timeless.

Smiley

Futch:

Did you know that the V6 was developed by Porsche?Smiley

Yep.  My understanding is that Porsche was brought in to fine-tune the Phase II after TWR had made a bit of a hash of the Phase I.  Just makes it even more desirable in my book.

Still not a patch on that incredible F1 GTR of yours though.  You're building a truly iconic collection.  Smiley

Italo:
    nberry:

You seem to top yourself every six months. An incredible assortment of prized cars.

Several years ago I had an opportunity to sit in the middle driver seat. At the time it was being converted to meet US emission standards. They started it up for me and WOW what a sound. I was blown away. You are going to have yourself a ball playing with it. I cannot imagine the "high" you will get driving it.

ENVIOUS!

Same high you use to get during your Starbucks days  Nick Smiley  ...I know, cheap shot  Smiley

Starbucks shots are no longer cheap.smiley

--

Whoopsy:

Futch, I HATE you, you just banged and married my all time dream girl!!!!!!! 

Not yet, I think. He just bought the F1 and still needs to drive "her" Smiley

nberry:
    Italo:
    nberry:

ENVIOUS!

Starbucks shots are no longer cheap.smiley

Nowadays, you need to try their new tea products to be trendy...

MKSGR:
    Whoopsy:

So he went the tradition route then, marriage then banging. lol.

As the Americans would put it, he went as far as 3rd base already. 

Futch:
    crayphile:

Congratulations once more! 959 next?

At the right price yes. But a sport version only and they are very very rare and too expensive IMO so not so sure.

Next on my list is a BMW E30 M3, but there's a lot of version and all sorts of prices so I'm doing my homework for now.

Hmm, Futch, you just dropped perhaps 3.5-4.5mil on a car, isn't everything else already seems cheap in comparison?

Whoopsy:
    MKSGR:
    Whoopsy:

So he went the tradition route then, marriage then banging. lol.

As the Americans would put it, he went as far as 3rd base already. 

Smiley

Sadly you can't really show and say hello, can I testdrive this car please?

Whoopsy:
    Futch:
    crayphile:

At the right price yes. But a sport version only and they are very very rare and too expensive IMO so not so sure.

Next on my list is a BMW E30 M3, but there's a lot of version and all sorts of prices so I'm doing my homework for now.

Hmm, Futch, you just dropped perhaps 3.5-4.5mil on a car, isn't everything else already seems cheap in comparison?

Compared to an F1, of course an E30 M3 is very cheap but a good deal has to remain a good deal. Their value is going up but you have to buy wisely. 

I've done my homework, the EVO 2 cecotto edition for example are very nice but no way they're worth 50k euros.

Seems like the one to have, as Porker said, is the very first one on 15in wheels. 

That car you can testdrive though and I shall do that soon. I have heard from many pros and petrolheads that this is simply one of the best chassis ever, forget the low 200hp, the chassis is a masterpiece.

And it looks impossibly cool nowadays I think.Smiley

m3Large.jpg

Futch:
    crayphile:

The e30 M3`s that are , imho, investment grade are the 2.5 Evo (238 hp), 600 of them were built between  Dec 1989 and March 1990 . Consider that  between 1985 and 1991 a total of about 18,000 e30 M3s  were made (including US models) not really a low volume production (compared to RS or GT3 Porsches). There is a great book called "Original M-Series " by James Taylor where the e30 is covered extensively.

How about adding to your stratospheric collection a 2.7 RS ? Smiley

--

911 Club Coupe, 72' 911 Targa 2.4 S, 12' Audi S4 Avant

Futch:
    Whoopsy:
    Futch:
    crayphile:

Compared to an F1, of course an E30 M3 is very cheap but a good deal has to remain a good deal. Their value is going up but you have to buy wisely. 

I've done my homework, the EVO 2 cecotto edition for example are very nice but no way they're worth 50k euros.

Seems like the one to have, as Porker said, is the very first one on 15in wheels. 

That car you can testdrive though and I shall do that soon. I have heard from many pros and petrolheads that this is simply one of the best chassis ever, forget the low 200hp, the chassis is a masterpiece.

m3Large.jpg

I love the e30 M3 so much by more so for what it stands in automotive history and for how amazing cool it looks inside and outside. As for driving it, it great but I am not quite sold on the engine.. It's a weird thing because its awesome but maybe I just like bigger engines and this one being 4cyl doesn't help. My buddy just brought an e30 with a fully done up 2.8l stroker creating 250hp... Now that is a beast! Outrunning the e46 M3 quite easily! 

But wicket choice for a next hunt, after getting an F1 I don't know what can ever top it. I really appreciate your sensible enthusiastic approach to cars.. You see them as investments, but you still really enjoy them for what they were created for in the first place! Kudos to that And many congrats on this amazing machine- cant believe its street legal.. It ran the 24 hr lemans for Christ sake! How cool is that.. Looking forward to molany more pics and driving impressions. Cheers.

Futch:
    Whoopsy:
    Futch:
    crayphile:

m3Large.jpg

In 2009 I've gone to North Wales to buy an E30 M3 Cecotto for a friend, after the purchase we'd done some of the local Welsh roads with that car, I still remember it was an absolute peach to drive. Lovely balance and feel, and it looked just right.

DSCN1101b.jpgDSCN1066.jpg

wink

Awesome! That must have been a great trip!

I'm yet to drive the EVO triangle in Wales, I should really as I live in London.

Very cool thank you! 
    Cesar is gorgeous!Smiley

m4ever:
    Futch:
    crayphile:

The e30 M3`s that are , imho, investment grade are the 2.5 Evo (238 hp), 600 of them were built between  Dec 1989 and March 1990 . Consider that  between 1985 and 1991 a total of about 18,000 e30 M3s  were made (including US models) not really a low volume production (compared to RS or GT3 Porsches). There is a great book called "Original M-Series " by James Taylor where the e30 is covered extensively.

How about adding to your stratospheric collection a 2.7 RS ? Smiley

--

911 Club Coupe, 72' 911 Targa 2.4 S, 12' Audi S4 Avant

I already have a 2.8 RSR Martini, road registered!Smiley

I will look up the book thank you. Indeed a lot of them were made, hence going for a cheap early one, the only requirement is that it has to as close to stock as possible. A lot have been modified.

Cant say to much...extreme car for an extreme car collector 

Congrats

PS - If you need someone to Start the engines every day I can send you my CV indecision

Enjoy every piece of your collection

Thanks for sharing with us

Paulo

Many congratulations Futch. Words fail me.

Futch:

I'm yet to drive the EVO triangle in Wales, I should really as I live in London.

Please let me know when you decide to drive 'The Triangle' - it's a regular haunt of mine, would be great to meet up?

http://www.greatestdrivingroads.com/great_roads/The_Evo_Triangle.html

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

John H:
    Futch:

Please let me know when you decide to drive 'The Triangle' - it's a regular haunt of mine, would be great to meet up?

It would indeed. I'll pm you when the time comes, hopefully with the Singer! Looks like I'll need to spend one night there as it is quite far from London to get there.

What a stable kiss You will realy need to find a nice place to have then on show..... even if it is only for yourself. YOur collection deserves a dedicated place !

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Futch:
    John H:
    Futch:

It would indeed. I'll pm you when the time comes, hopefully with the Singer! Looks like I'll need to spend one night there as it is quite far from London to get there.

Frank (Porker) stayed at a nice hotel in Betws-y-Coed when he came over or, alternatively, you would be more than welcome to stay with us...Smiley

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

John H:
    Futch:
    John H:
    Futch:

Frank (Porker) stayed at a nice hotel in Betws-y-Coed when he came over or, alternatively, you would be more than welcome to stay with us...Smiley

Absolutely, such a lovely place that was. It's called The Groes Inn, it's where EVO always stays when they're shooting in North Wales.

http://www.groesinn.com/

Congrats, sir.

Meanwhile, the closest I have come to owning a F1...

<Heist, Heist, Heist... c'mon man. Get it together. What are you doing wrong in life. mail>

Very nice - I saw #05R at Chelsea in September 2012 - you're a lucky man!

DSCF3729 (Large).jpgDSCF3709 (Large).jpgDSCF3884 (Large).jpgDSCF3883 (Large).jpgDSCF3888 (Large).jpgDSCF3887 (Large).jpgDSCF3991 (Large).jpg1357582062038DSCF4016 (Large).jpgDSCF3980 (Large).jpgDSCF3994 (Large).jpg

Greg

--
    i am what i am

Futch, congratulations on this purchase. Wonderful machine and what a history. I very much look forward to seeing this car grace the roadways. It has been hidden to long. You, are a very wise man to purchase now as I agree, they will only go up in value. All the best and I hope she brings much pleasure!

Regards-

Wayne

I have to congratulation to you your new car. Fantastic to see you have courage to show it some detail shots.
    Thank you very much.! I just hope that you keep the CESAR-livery on the car, I think you will do that. But it's one of the best liveries ever what have seen in these GTR's 95-97 years when they were in the racetracks.  I think most of the GTR fans remembers #05R very well, longside finish with race winner #01R in that fantastic Le Mans, where GTR McLaren's took 1,3,4,5 and 13th places and exactly this #05R cruised to finishline 13.place.

Anyway, here is some 7 shots of 1996 GTR #16R from Helsinki. Taken in December Helsinki Motorshow where this 1996 Le Mans finished GTR were presented. http://samiaal.kuvat.fi/kuvat/1996+McLaren+F1+GTR+-+16R/

Anyway; thanks for the detail images and I wish you will enjoy your car more next summer, it's super unique car to have, how many cars have Finished Le Mans what you see on the streets... :)

Futch:
    finGTR:

I have to congratulation to you your new car. Fantastic to see you have courage to show it some detail shots.
    Thank you very much.! I just hope that you keep the CESAR-livery on the car, I think you will do that. But it's one of the best liveries ever what have seen in these GTR's 95-97 years when they were in the racetracks.  I think most of the GTR fans remembers #05R very well, longside finish with race winner #01R in that fantastic Le Mans, where GTR McLaren's took 1,3,4,5 and 13th places and exactly this #05R cruised to finishline 13.place.

Anyway, here is some 7 shots of 1996 GTR #16R from Helsinki. Taken in December Helsinki Motorshow where this 1996 Le Mans finished GTR were presented. http://samiaal.kuvat.fi/kuvat/1996+McLaren+F1+GTR+-+16R/

Anyway; thanks for the detail images and I wish you will enjoy your car more next summer, it's super unique car to have, how many cars have Finished Le Mans what you see on the streets... :)

Thanks guys.

Very very special car indeed. I know of virtually no other race cars manufacturers that have been converted to road specs like that. This is awesome and fantastic. 

Historically, it was the private teams that convinced Mclaren to convert road cars to GTR to compete. Ron Dennis apparently initially refused. Look at the Uono chassis 001, hardly any sponsors on the car, how cool is that!

And now, the clients are converting GTRs back to road cars to be able to enjoy on special occasions. The term "race car for the road" has never been so true.

First drive planned in a week or so, should be a pretty short one, just to get a feel for the car, its inputs, how she drives etc.

Proper first trip, well there's only one road trip that truly deserves this car isn't there.

Le Mans of course.

I will drive the car back to France and stop by Le Mans and take as many back roads as possible. 

A few people have asked me if I intend to keep the car with this livery, and obviously I do. This car raced and finished the 24h of Le Mans with this livery, anyone thinking the car should be repainted should be shot dead on the spot.

Whether it is this exact livery or not is academic really. 

As for racing, no, I don't think I'll take the risk of destroying it. However there are rumors of a BPR championship revival but only through some sort of exhibition, so that yes, it will a great opportunity to track the car. 

The golden age of GT racing, imagine the vision, F40 LM, GTR Harrods, Cesar, the Venturi, the 993 GT2, the Hondas NSX GT1, reunited again on the track, the stuff of legends!

I look at Cesar and this car reminds of the Patek Philippe advert: You don't really own a Mclaren F1, you are its lucky custodian for the future generations of petrolheads.Smiley

More to follow very soon I hope.Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690784 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410036 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256138 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235371 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65732 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858703 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775003 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM