Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

OT: Beware!

Saturday morning I was just finishing my morning bike ride when I had a bad heart attack. Plaque got loose and blocked one artery completely. It was a bit touch and go for a while. But thankfully the quick thinking of my wife and some smart medics got me sorted, and now I have a shiny new stent in one of my arteries. (the other two were shiny clean). My diet was good, my chlorestorol levels were fine, a previous stress test showed up nothing, I run up several flights of stairs etc. I'm now back home getting adjusted to a little more careful eating and exercising regime. But if you're of a certain age and haven't had a good check over recently I would urge you to do so. From personal experience the alternative is really not very pleasant!

Re: OT: Beware!

Le Chef,

I wish you all the best and take care.

AM

Sorry to hear about your situation, but I am glad you are feeling better. I am actually flying to to your area over the weekend. Have you ever dined at Everest before? Any comments on that restaurant?

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery!

Good to hear your ok

Everest

In a word stunning. I think it's as good as Charlie Trotter's. Enjoy!

Re: Everest

Sorry to hear about this - wishing you a speedy recovery.

Glad to hear your are ok, and I appreciate the advice. My goodness that must have been scary. Take care of yourself.

Hope you have a great cardiologist! (If you need one, I have a friend who's one in Chicago). Best of luck! You need less stress in your life,--go drive the 997!

dan

I'm glad you're ok...here's an interesting link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4800772.stm

Take care

Re: Everest

WOW Le Chef!

Hopefully you will have a full recovery if damage to myocardial tissue was minimal.

Take care

Chin Up!! Sounds like you're going to be ok. Stay healthy and keep up the positive attitude.

Cardiologist

I have a very good guy at Northwestern who was recommended (albeit after the event) by a number of people.

I'm hoping that providing I behave this is the last of it.

Tissue Damage

They ran a ultra-sound and an MRI and it appeared to them that permament damage was minimal, but another test in 60/90 days would be more conclusive. The ambulance was there within 3 minutes and they began the process of unblocking the artery and stabilizing before they even moved off.

Re: Tissue Damage

Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    They ran a ultra-sound and an MRI and it appeared to them that permament damage was minimal, but another test in 60/90 days would be more conclusive. The ambulance was there within 3 minutes and they began the process of unblocking the artery and stabilizing before they even moved off.

Hope you continue to make a smooth recovery

Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    Saturday morning I was just finishing my morning bike ride when I had a bad heart attack. Plaque got loose and blocked one artery completely. It was a bit touch and go for a while. But thankfully the quick thinking of my wife and some smart medics got me sorted, and now I have a shiny new stent in one of my arteries. (the other two were shiny clean). My diet was good, my chlorestorol levels were fine, a previous stress test showed up nothing, I run up several flights of stairs etc. I'm now back home getting adjusted to a little more careful eating and exercising regime. But if you're of a certain age and haven't had a good check over recently I would urge you to do so. From personal experience the alternative is really not very pleasant!

I just finished up 4 months of Chemo for an auto-immune disorder. Your health is sooooo important and sometimes you don't know that until you loose it. Good Luck

Hey guys,
    Sorry to hear about your health problems. I hope everything is going to be ok.
    Sometimes, actually, most of the time we spend working , saving, counting etc but forgetting our dearest possesion: health;
    It's very "cliché", but it's good that someone makes us stand still and thinck for a while.

Its funny I have always told my staff that it should be your health first, then your family and THEN work. But sometime work gets the best of us and you flip it around. But you cant do it year after year and not pay the price at some point. Most of the guys on this board are VERY successful and have worked hard to own their 997. Make sure you enjoy it as much as you can and make your health your top priority. In fact after my first round of Chemo i was too weak to drive. I could not wait to get back out in my car. I am glad to say that was 6 month's ago and now i pretty much drive it every day.

Quote:
    997CarreraS said:
    Its funny I have always told my staff that it should be your health first, then your family and THEN work. But sometime work gets the best of us and you flip it around. But you cant do it year after year and not pay the price at some point. Most of the guys on this board are VERY successful and have worked hard to own their 997. Make sure you enjoy it as much as you can and make your health your top priority. In fact after my first round of Chemo i was too weak to drive. I could not wait to get back out in my car. I am glad to say that was 6 month's ago and now i pretty much drive it every day.

Rich,--well put! I was retired for several years and returned to work after starting to get bored. It's funny to watch the younger guys who are all missing that lesson and vying for positions,--each staying later and later than the others. Been there,--done that. And DONE with that. It's nice to be able to just walk away. I hope EVERYONE on this forum learns from this. Being successful and finally getting your dream car is nothing if you're laid up with a heart disorder.

Life first,--work second. (Oh, and Porsches are part of LIFE).

Dan

Thanks for the heads up. You dodged the bullet there and are very lucky.

That sort of thing should not happen to Porsche owners. Hope you have a full recovery

Thank goodness someone was there that soon.

Ok, I'm making an appointment. Haven't seen a doc in 15 years.

Charlie Trotter's sucks, IMO. Talk about overrated.

Thanks!

Thanks to all for your kind comments and well wishes. The key, without being alarmist, is to make sure you're not the next one on the list. It would take you no more than a morning to get fully checked up for this. If you can make time for a drive in your favorite car, you can make time for this. Not a lot of time to set aside for what could be a life saver.

Re: Thanks!

Glad you're OK, Le Chef!

Very good advice by all!

Re: Thanks!

Best wishes for a full recovery

Key is one needs to find a very competent internist to do a solid base-line exam...and esp an internist who routinely is able to quickly refer his pts to the most expcd/talented interventional cardiologists in your region. May also want to have a couple of contingency plans for which hosp to go to if have MI symptoms, esp if, for ex., live in Lake Forest, yet work in Loop. Esp w/MI, timing in reaching talented/very expcd hc providers is key to minimizing damage.....

BTW, though Tru/Trotter's/Everest are all solid restaurants, I plan to chk out Alinea next time I'm in Chic....hear chef (who trained @both FrenchLaundry and Spain's ElBulli) is doing some interesting stuff.....any thoughts from those who've dined there?

Le Chef,

Sorry to hear about your heart attack, and hope your recovery goes well. You're fortunate to have had such a quick response from the paramedics.

Best wishes,

Jim

Wow Le Chef, sorry to hear this but gad you are OK. Thanks for sharing with us. Perhaps taking some time off would help the matters and give you a excuse to drive your car some more, ha? Take care now !

uh glad to hear that the medics got it sorted so fast!! and that you are back at rennteam!!!
    all the best!
    zz

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

Don't know whether it helps but I've got two friends who had heart attacks last year, both of whom are back to full fitness. One, like you, had a stent fitted and recovered very quickly. The other had a quadruple by-pass and, although his recovery was slower due to the surgery, is now fine and leading a normal life.

In a way it is fortunate to have a warning - some people aren't so lucky.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    754895 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431434 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258840 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255824 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79831 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5262 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868835 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802764 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM