Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: who would !! Chris Harris bought a Ferrari

nberry:

I am very familiar with the Cayenne AWD having owned one. However, I did not get the impression that Christian was doing the speed limit when he posted his experience about the M3 chasing him on a WET MOUNTAIN PASS ROAD.Smiley

Even the posted speed limit could already be too fast for the M3 to reach depending on condition.

A few years ago we drove up to Whistler to ski. The mountain highway has a posted 80km/h limit. The roads are covered in snow as the plow hasn't made its run yet. We were in a X5, doing maybe 60km/h, well below the limit but plenty fast already that we lost whoever is behind us. And we passed quite a few cars in front of us as they struggled to have any traction to provide forward momentum. Was I driving too fast for the condition? Nope. My wife didn't even complaint as she hates me driving fast. 

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Ferrari 458 Italia: Handling Pack -- Upgrade to 2012MY specification...

Ferrari 458 Italia Handling pack

The 2012MY 458 Italia benefits from an enhanced suspension configuration to further improve the road holding of this extraordinary model. In line with this, a kit is available to retro-fit the improved suspension parameters to ensure uniform performance across all previous model years.

Consisting of a modified 'Magnaride' suspension ECU, Accellerometers, fittings and a software upgrade the control is active in all 'Manettino' positions with a dedicated calibration for each setting.

MagneRide virtually eliminates the traditional need for a ride/handling compromise. Using patented damper units containing a controllable magneto-rheological fluid, the system offers increased tuning capability and response speed over valve-controlled suspension systems. Drivers benefit from more precise turn-in feel, improved high speed control and superior road isolation, resulting in increased driver enjoyment and comfort.

Available for LHD and RHD vehicles at a fitted price of £4400 the kit represents great value over the increased 458 model price with the relevant suspension improvements.

Kit handling

The handling kit upgrades the vehicle to reflect the 2012 configuration of the 458 Italia, offering access to the new performance content of this version, including new shock absorber control software which helps to improve tire performance and offers an even sportier steering feel. The 2012 content for gearbox management is not currently available.

Ferrari 458 Italia vs McLaren MP4-12C vs Corvette ZR1 -- Video Link

...good to see both Ferrari and McLaren are keen to offer upgrades to existing customers! Smiley

Smiley SmileySmiley

What do you know... the 458 won again. Smiley

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

And yet I bought the McLaren, not the 458. The dihedral doors are the aces in hand, makes the whole supercar experience feels 'special', the 458's special triple tailpipes didn't tickle my senses. 

At that level, a purchase is more emotional than rational. if everyone is rational in their supercar purchase, everyone would buy a 911 Turbo and be done with it. 

At the end of the day, track numbers are a bragging rights, how many of us here can extract 10/10 of a car and get 'close' to posted numbers especially lap times.

It's a sunny Sunday here, I went grocery shopping at a local mall Safeway, 'light' shopping. My neighbour happens to be there too with his 458, there was a bunch of kids gathered around his car, but only until I pull up a few spaces over and stopped and opened my door. At that point everyone abandoned the Ferrari and gathered around mine and I had to answer a few questions and even let a couple kids into the driver seat. I made their day and they made mine.

McLaren 1, Ferrari 0.

Kids at a supermarket as a supercar benchmark? Really?

Have a nice new year mate! :)

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:

kiss I don't expect anything less from a Tifoso!!

You are a Ferrari fan through and through, you see stuff tinted with Ferrari goggles. I on the other hand looked from the outside in, don't actually have a brand allegiance, well outside of Porsche. 

You may recalled a short while ago I had a thread about car decision, I had paid serious consideration into buying a 458. And it could have been any other super car, well except one as I already have the Turbo S parked in the garage. But the decision narrows down to the 2. I picked the Mac. Apart from the highest technology in a road car, it also tickle my emotional senses, it makes me feels I WANT to buy that car, I NEED possession of it. The 458 doesn't, I LIKE it but I don't feel the need to OWN it. It just doesn't give me that emotional excitement that the Mac gives me. It reminds me of one of my boy hood posters, a McLaren F1, my other poster is a 959, so in a way with the Turbo S and the MP4-12C I bought the descendants of my poster cars and that makes me satisfied.

But, there is still a couple Ferrari's that I WANTED. Enzo is one of them,  Testarossa is another. Some day I will probable track down one of each to own, but that's some day in the future. 

I like the 599 Chris bought too, but it's at the 'like' stage, like the 458 and didn't progress up the ladder. 

In a ways innocent kids are the best gauge, for obvious reasons they can't buy what they want yet, whatever they want translate to posters they hang up, more than likely before they see my car their wall has Ferrari posters, and they got super excited seeing a Ferrari in real life. I introduced a better alternative for them to idolize, a car they might not know exist yet, and who knows, they might rip down the Ferrari poster and puts up a McLaren one and dream one day thye can buy something like that.

Like Lamborghini's scissor doors, the McLaren dihedral doors are iconic, it's 'supercar' like, it's what tickle most people's senses. Heck the Enzo has one too and these things makes people remember what they see.

This would have been a cheaper solution! indecision

I'm surprised Vancouver has such a high concentration of supercars. I was there a few years ago and probably didn't go to the right areas cheeky

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

Taste is such a personal matter that it makes no sense arguing over it. Personally I find the MP4 bland appearance-wise, but if Whoopsy is happy with his choices I am happy for him! wink

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:

Taste is such a personal matter that it makes no sense arguing over it. Personally I find the MP4 bland appearance-wise, but if Whoopsy is happy with his choices I am happy for him! wink

I would be verry happy with this as well!

Smiley

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

REALZEUS:

The MP4 is a colour sensitive shape IMO. For example Whoopsey's  car looks spectacular. Some others not as much.

--

"Form follows function"

nberry:

Christian, in all seriousness I fear for your safety. I am pretty sure you are a good driver but based on some of your posts I believe you take unnecessary risks. If a M3 was following me on a slippery mountain pass road I could give a rats ass whether he passed me or stayed on my rear. My first and only concern would be for my safety and those in the car with me.

On a track it would be different.

I went there to have some fun, on purpose. I know the Riedbergpass pretty well and I know my limits. You cannot drive at high speeds there(too many curves) and driving the road up is really quite safe. On the other hand, I've seen some cars racing down the road, I would have never done that at these speeds and especially because there was still some snow on the wet road.

Another complaint I have to make about other drivers (incl. my M3 "friend" behind me): What about a clean driving line? Don't people know how to keep one anymore. Almost every car I saw actually moved more or less to the other lane in curves, pretty dangerous.

Nick, thanks for your concern but I am back...safe and sound, ain't I? Smiley

Smiley

Btw: The most fun I actually had that day was watching a tractor pulling out a small RV out of the snow. My son took some photos but he accidentally pushed out the SD card, so...no photos (just the ones I took from my GTS). Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Ferrari 599 GTO review by Chris Harris...

The 599 GTO is the fastest Ferrari ever around Fiorano. But is it also one of the greatest? We find out...

(Evo magazine, June 2010)

And first, before we delve into the juicy stuff, we must discuss the official line on that name. Understandably, Ferrari uses the coolest go-faster tag in the known universe sparingly. History shows that only twice before has The Scuderia attached the ultimate mark of speed and desirability to the buttocks of a street machine. 

You know as well as me that those two cars are the 1962 250 GTO and the 1984 288 GTO - both were defined by performance and an intention to go racing. Gran Turismo Omologato is the full description, and homologation was the purpose in both cases, albeit with vastly differing outcomes. The 250 enjoyed a great career, but the 288 GTO was born of the Group B regulations that never delivered the Porsche 959-versus-GTO-at-Le-Mans battles we all craved – leaving it as simply the fastest and most desirable Ferrari road car of its day.

So how does this new car, based on a road machine and with no specific intention to go racing, justify the name? Well, according to Ferrari, it does so by taking much of the technology from the track-only 599XX, which Ferrari has always stated would never race, and making it available with a licence plate: it homologates the XX for road use. It’s a neat spin, if perhaps a little disingenuous… 

Little of which seems to matter when you’re in the presence of the machine itself. I’m no PR man, but my advice to Ferrari would be to tell anyone who thinks that this quite remarkable 661bhp machine doesn’t deserve its name to shut up, go drive it, and then decide. Only then, once their back has dried, their ear-drums have de-bruised and their reactions have adjusted back to the slow-motion replay that is the post-599-GTO reality, will they be able to make a call on the GTO debate. Me? I couldn’t care less: what really matters is Ferrari making the fastest and most powerful road car in its history. 

Before we delve into the specific changes from GTB to GTO, it’s as well to understand the aims of this project. They are, in fact, very simple. Besides translating some of the new technologies wrought through the XX project into a road application, the intention was to extract maximum circuit performance from the 599 package, but still retain enough usability for the car to be pleasant on the road. More specifically, there seems to have been an almost religious zeal to seek out and banish understeer. Every time the ‘u’ word was mentioned by engineers and development drivers, it was delivered with a grimacing sneer, as if it were a sworn enemy, a dynamic parasite to be hunted down and expunged. 

The 599 is not an obvious base for a light-weight sports car. It may boast an aluminium bodyshell, but it’s a big machine with a 6-litre V12 wedged between the front wheels. The path to sharper responses has of course embraced the standard methodology: make it lighter and add more power. But it’s the sheer number and scope of the changes that impresses, helps justify the £299,300 price tag and underpins Ferrari’s assertion that this is much closer to being a 599XX with number- plates than a 599 HGTE-Plus.

For starters, engine power rises from 612bhp to 661bhp. I have to keep squinting at that number because even now it seems pretty incredible. Internal friction has been reduced by 12 per cent through all manner of tweaks: DLC (Diamond Like Coating) for the tappets, superfinished cam lobes, a new shape for the crankshaft weights and a new design of piston skirt. Compression rises from 11.2 to 11.9 and the breathing has been completely overhauled. 

Ferrari has crafted a new aluminium intake system that uses shorter runners and saves 2kg, but the engineer responsible was almost moved to tears when he admitted the XX’s carbon intake just wasn’t suitable for the road (it would have saved a further 3kg). The exhaust system is hydroformed – effectively blown into shape, thereby avoiding the heavy seams that come with even the best welding. The process thins the metal from 1.5mm to 0.8mm and saves a remarkable 15kg over a standard system. Lord knows what it’ll cost to replace. Throughout the car, an impressive 100kg has been shed. 

Gear ratios are down six per cent, the car now hitting its claimed 208mph maximum on the 8400rpm rev-limiter. For the record, Ferrari is refreshingly uninterested in the subject of top speed. I like that.

If the engine work is comprehensive, the chassis goes even further: new springs, dampers, electronic systems, wheels, tyres and a new generation of carbon-ceramic brake that uses, for the first time in a road car, a ceramic pad material. The mission statement behind the changes is fascinating: it shows how important ultimate lap time was to Ferrari, because, in its own words, the GTO was designed to be ‘nervous, not easy to drive’.

That deserves some explanation because it’s open to misinterpretation. We all know that a fast racing car is one that treads the finest line between outright speed and spikey handling. The GTO embraces that philosophy. But it does so with the assistance of some mighty impressive electronic wizardry. In essence, what Ferrari has done is tune the 599 to produce the maximum mechanical grip, then calibrated the traction and stability control systems to make it as driveable as possible at the limit. It is often said that the latest generation of jet-fighters are inherently unstable to give them extreme agility, and that they would be un-flyable without computer assistance. To a lesser extent, the same is true of the GTO.

At Fiorano, the car is brutally fast. It laps a second faster than any other Ferrari, and that’s despite weighing 300kg more than a 430 Scuderia. It also feels fundamentally different to the GTB, because you can carry so much more speed into a turn and then continue to lean on the front axle. The front wheels are now 1.5in wider and tyre size has grown from a 245 to a 285 section, which is pretty remarkable. It also dramatically alters the stance of the car. The rears grow by 0.5in, allowing a 315-section rear tyre to be fitted – traction is excellent, but it’s still possible to melt them with the systems disengaged. It’s special rubber too, the first of a new generation of high-performance rubber from Michelin called Pilot Super Sport. 

Within reason, it’s actually quite difficult to make the GTO understeer, even with the systems off. However, only a loon would switch them off in this car, not necessarily for risk of ditching it (although that remains a very real concern), but because you’d miss out on one of the great automotive experiences.

The GTO’s list of go-faster aids is pretty bewildering. It uses the now familiar F1-Trac system to harness those 661 horses, but it now has SCM2, which is a second-generation Skyhook damper – the type with magnetized fluid that can alter viscosity through electric current. The main difference on the GTO is that it is fitted with three accelerometers from the XX that relay real-time data to SCM2, whereas the GTB’s dampers have to use approximate data. It’s very, very clever stuff.

And it translates into a mind-expanding rush, especially if you’ve just grabbed a few hours’ sleep and rushed to Fiorano of a Monday morning. Immediately you’re aware that the car is set up right on the edge of what’s acceptable in something road-legal: with the tyres warm, I trailed the throttle a little mid-corner to see what the effect would be, and the car snapped straight into oversteer. This, by the way, is cause for celebration. You have to drive the GTO properly: stop, steer, gas.

The steering is even quicker than on the 599 HGTE, but not so fast that tipping into a turn is hard to judge. It doesn’t offer much feel, but it is consistent with all the other control weightings. The latest F1 automated manual is superb, giving 60m/s shifts at Fiorano (that’s 40m/s faster than a GTB) yet able to slur the action in town. The GTO’s enlarged carbon paddles should be on all 599s, they just feel ‘right’.

The noise? Not quite as crazed from inside the cabin as you’d expect, although it sounds far more urgent than the GTB, but the outside world is treated to four-fifths of the Le Mans soundtrack. In its upper reaches, the V12 gets sharp and angry. Performance is other-worldly, although strangely it feels more contained than it does in the GTB, mostly because the chassis is now so competent that the great yaw-ing, pitching moments under acceleration and braking in the GTB are gone. Ferrari claims it’ll do a standing km in 19.9sec, which makes it one of the fastest cars ever made. 

Braking performance is stunning. The latest CCM2 brakes are now 3.5kg lighter and the way they haul this 1700kg lump back from 150mph-plus to 40mph for Turn 1 at Fiorano has to be felt to be fully appreciated. However, they grumble like Norah Batty on the road. 

The new Michelin is especially impressive. It offers double the tread-depth of a conventional ‘Cup’ tyre (about 7.5mm) but Ferrari reckons it is no slower around the track and will stand some very hard abuse. In the context of road usability, it’s an important point, because the 599’s fundamentally practical shape remains unchanged in the GTO, and people are bound to want to use the car on the road. To do so will mostly be a pleasure – yes, it’s a little harsher on the ears and the ride is firm, but then the GTB isn’t the most compliant machine around.  

There are a couple of issues on the road. First, the car struggles to find traction on poor surfaces in a way that, say, a 458 Italia doesn’t. It’s not a problem, more a minor frustration. And the air-con on the test car really struggled to keep us cool. Okay, it was a hot day, but the GTO is a great, red, heat-soak. 

You could go on about this machine for an entire issue. The thinner glass is 5.5kg lighter, forged wheels and titanium bolts save an eye-popping 22kg, and Sabelt’s snug carbon seats trim another 17kg. It’s a detail masterpiece, a track genius, a road tonic and yet another great Ferrari. Oh, and it fully deserves the badge.

Ferrari 599 GTO with Chris Harris on Track -- Video Part One...

Ferrari 599 GTO with Chris Harris on Track -- Video Link 1

Smiley SmileySmiley

Ferrari 599 GTO with Chris Harris on Road -- Video Part Two...

Ferrari 599 GTO with Chris Harris on Road -- Video Link 2

Smiley SmileySmiley

REALZEUS:

Being able to make you happy, and others around you, specially excited kids that could end up like us sharing pictures and car stories through the Internet hundreds of miles away. Yeah that's a pretty good benchmark in my book. What good is something as great as a sports car if you're going to be more preoccupied with lap times and weight figures and can't enjoy the car by just sitting on it? Of of you can't let an eager little kid at a shop sit in it and watch their face light up? Not so long ago I was that kid, and I'll never forget that guy in a mall in Miami that let me sit on his Testarrosa. 

993Targa:
    REALZEUS:

I would be verry happy with this as well!

Smiley

SweetSmiley

Enmanuel:
    REALZEUS:

Being able to make you happy, and others around you, specially excited kids that could end up like us sharing pictures and car stories through the Internet hundreds of miles away. Yeah that's a pretty good benchmark in my book. What good is something as great as a sports car if you're going to be more preoccupied with lap times and weight figures and can't enjoy the car by just sitting on it? Of of you can't let an eager little kid at a shop sit in it and watch their face light up? Not so long ago I was that kid, and I'll never forget that guy in a mall in Miami that let me sit on his Testarrosa. 

Nice story but irrelevant really. We were talking about their technical merits and the driving experience with these cars.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Nevermind. you don't seem to get it. 

Not long ago, it used to be the Ferrari's that get kids excited and dream about driving one. That title is no longer Ferrari's. Actually, come to think of it, they lost it when Lamborghini introduced the Countach. 

As for technical merits, Realzeus you REALLY need to ride in the MP4 at least once. Not long ago, Ferrari's GM sourced MagneRide system was state of the art, but right now nothing beats the McLaren hydraulic dampers. That's the future. Rides smooth over any surface yet flat when corning. Zero oscillation after the initial thump. nothing on the road compares. 

Then there is the traction control tuning, it's at least a couple years ahead if not more than what Ferrari has to offer, its balance on power and traction is spot on, no sudden power cutoff or anything that kills forward momentum. Mirror image of how a F1 car starts, they just rocket off with zero wheel spin.

Did I mention the carbon tub? Something that eludes Ferrari?

MP4 is pretty much McLaren first try in the sports car market, even you would agree it and the 458 is pretty much even? One might be slight ahead in some area and the other at some other part? The thing is, Ferrari has been making mid engine V8 sports car since the 308, that's almost years ago. They should have perfected the formula like Porsche did with the rear engine 911. Yet McLaren just proved Ferrari hasn't mastered it yet.

Enmanuel:

Nevermind. you don't seem to get it. 

I guess I am a bit slow...

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Whoopsy:

Not long ago, it used to be the Ferrari's that get kids excited and dream about driving one. That title is no longer Ferrari's. Actually, come to think of it, they lost it when Lamborghini introduced the Countach. 

As for technical merits, Realzeus you REALLY need to ride in the MP4 at least once. Not long ago, Ferrari's GM sourced MagneRide system was state of the art, but right now nothing beats the McLaren hydraulic dampers. That's the future. Rides smooth over any surface yet flat when corning. Zero oscillation after the initial thump. nothing on the road compares. 

Then there is the traction control tuning, it's at least a couple years ahead if not more than what Ferrari has to offer, its balance on power and traction is spot on, no sudden power cutoff or anything that kills forward momentum. Mirror image of how a F1 car starts, they just rocket off with zero wheel spin.

MP4 is pretty much McLaren first try in the sports car market, even you would agree it and the 458 is pretty much even? One might be slight ahead in some area and the other at some other part? The thing is, Ferrari has been making mid engine V8 sports car since the 308, that's almost years ago. They should have perfected the formula like Porsche did with the rear engine 911. Yet McLaren just proved Ferrari hasn't mastered it yet.

I am glad you like you MP4 that much. Having driven most Ferraris though, I can surely say that I won't be that impressed by a turbocharged supercar. Cheers!

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

You clearly haven't driven an F40 properly then...

Whoopsy:

I don't want to get into childhood/kid dreams. As long as I love my car I don't care what 13 years old boy OR 55 years old men think. I'm just a Ferrari enthusiast, not a partner nor an employee. We are talking about 2 cars that are at top of their games. So neither can be bad, there are only preferences.

On the other hand, IMO, the biggest pro Mclaren has over Ferrari is the carbon tubular chassie which help them a lot on their 12C Spider. However, I disagree with you about how superior the ride of 4 independent hydraulic shocks of the Mclaren. Maybe they can be more comfortable but as far as I read so far on the tests, because of this independent setup, the car makes a small hesitation on fast driving. So before it acts, it first collects the data from 4 corners. This takes time. One the biggest concerns about the car was this small hesitation before you enter the corner. I think italia is comfortable enough to drive on any road. It doesn't need to be on Mercedes S class comfort level as Mclaren does.

Also, instead of any kind of LSD, Mclaren's brake steer is another let go on Mclaren side, IMO. 

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

If these cars were women, The 458 would have a Monica Bellucci, whereas the 12C a Kate Middleton.

I wouldn't blame anyone for choosing either (car or female) , depending on his priorities and preferences.

--

"Form follows function"

I don't recall but have you driven the 458?Smiley I know your neighbor has one. 

If you have, how would you compare it to your MP4?

--

Futch:

Perhaps. Then again, the very sound of an F50 wins me over. I am not putting the Enzo into this equation as this would be totally unfair...

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Here is a nice Car and Driver video.  They tracked 20 cars @VIR, 4.1 mile track which is American version of The Ring.

nevertheless, very respectful time for 458 italia. Sadly, they didn't test the MP4-C12.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o70fi2OLwLo

Enjoy.Smiley

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

nberry:

I don't recall but have you driven the 458?Smiley I know your neighbor has one. 

If you have, how would you compare it to your MP4?

--

Only a short test drive early summer, a 2011 car with about 1000 miles on the clock form the Ferrari dealership. The very same car is still available and this is the car that kept me thinking about it for the next few months until the MP4 shifted my focus and the rest is history.

As you can guess, visibility is a wash between it and the MP4.

I positively LOVED the rich leather interior of the 458, it has the Daytona seats. A step, possibly 2 step up from the MP4, exactly the right interior one would expect for the price paid. The center air vent stack is simply a work of art. Big plus for the integrated multifunction display within the gauges, much much prefer it over the simpleton one in the MP4.

The big STATIONARY paddles in the Ferrari is a proper proper way to control the gearbox, only wish it has the same dual function toggle like the MP4, shifting can be done with one hand, a pull on one side translate to a push on the other.

The 458 feels under powered at low revs, there is NOTHING from idle to 2.5k rpm, no wonder all the owners has to drive with such high revs. Call me crazy but the V8 in the 458 feels more like a turbo engine in the 80s, you get nothing then nothing then WAHHHHHHHHHHHH here comes the power. The MP4 has zero lag, like zip, just endless torque from idle to red line, like a big natural V8 with a 9k redline. It will happily putt along at 1.5k-2.5k rpm all day. Eerily similar to the twin scroll turbo V8 in the X6M, throttle response is INSTANT, no need to scroll up the revs.

Sound. Hmm, the MP4 has a more manly deeper grow, the Ferrari has a more girly high pitch wail. But yet I don't mind living with either. Love them both. Makes me wonder why Porsche can't do a proper exhaust for the Turbo if McLaren can make a turbo-ed engine sounds sexy.

Steering feel is light. Almost effortless, like my old X5, but great feel. I think it's a tie with the MP4 except the MP4 has a tad heavier steering effort, still lighter than the Porsche. Of the 3 I like the Porsche one the best on steering weight, beefy but the 2 mid engine rockets has better feel. Interesting note, at full lock at crawling speed, like getting out of parking spots, I can feel the MP4's front wheels slips, no such feel in the 458 nor the Porsche. And why does Ferrari has to use a XXL-szed wheel? I know there are a lot of controls crammed there, but come on!!

On to suspension. Not familiar with Ferrari options, and didn't ask to see if the 458 has the 'sports' suspension package, but the ride is FIRM. Like my Porsche on sports mode. There is this stretch of road that's poorly maintained but it's only a couple blocks away from the Porsche and Ferrari dealerships, my unofficial test for ride quality. On the Ferrari the front end just won't stop bobbling, way too much residual oscillations, in addition to a bone jarring ride. THe same bone jarring ride is present in the Porsche in Sports mode, with a little bit of bobbling. The ride improves a lot in normal mode for the Porsche but the bobbling is still present. I took my Porsche salesman for a ride on the same stretch in the MP4. In sports mode He was amazed at the ride quality and the body control. He had driven every Porsche model on the same stretch many many times, part of their standard test drive route. He said frankly northing in the Porsche line up can match the MP4. Incidentally, the Ferrari dealership's manager rode with me on the test drive had suggested I take a different road to avoid that stretch. I was never a good follower of suggestions. Now I know why he didn't want me to take that route.

Despite all the short comings I discovered, I still like the 458. I don't know, maybe it's the Ferrari mystique, or the fact that I haven't own a Ferrari yet.

in the end as I said it was a toss up between the 458 and the MP4. I  could have picked either but the dihedral doors of the McLaren sealed the deal.

There is no such thing as a sport suspension option in the Ferrari line-up. You get as standard the adjustable suspension which changes settings via the Manettino. In the Race setting and above it gets really hard but there is a button to override it and still have the rest of the car in Race mode and the suspensions a bit softer. Why would you want to punish a supercar on purpose though in such roads?

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

The knob was at 'Sport'. I do notice the other suspension button on the other side, didn't touch it though. So that's what that button is for?

The road is question is a major artery road that I travel 3 times a week, so it's a good test on a daily driving ability of a car. Think the city ran out of money maintaining it because they refuse to install fare gates on public transit, they didn't think people would NOT pay to get on the trains. Idiots. 

Yeap, that is what that other button is for. First installed in the Scuderia upon suggestion of a certain M. Schumacher... or at least such was the marketing story at that time.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Futch:

The best Ferrari ever Smiley

The best Ferrari is always the next one. - Enzo Ferrari

The F40 has been surpassed many years now.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM