Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

981S - driven (prolonged testdrive)

Hi guys – thought I would share some driving impressions with you after finally driving a 981S demo car last weekend. Smiley

My reference for comparison purposes is our 987S MK1 (3.2 L / 280 hp), manual gearbox (short-shift), PASM, Sport Chrono, 19” wheels.

Demo car was equipped with PDK, PASM, 20” wheels, servo plus, standard seats, PCM, Sound Package, auto aircon. We (Mrs. and Mr. P-J)  did about 150 km – nice mix of city, country roads and Autobahn.

Engine: The added hp/nm compared to our 987S is clearly noticeable of course but even more so is the difference in character of the DFI engine vs. the “old” non DFI engine: power delivery of the DFI engine is (or at least subjectively feels) more linear. Also the engine’s response - with both pushing the pedal and lifting the foot – felt more spontaneous in the old non DFI engine. The engine sound of the old non DFI is both louder and provides a broader variety of tones (from burbling to shrieking), whereas the 3.4 DFI  has a more bassy bias. This is nice if you go for a long Autobahn drive with the top up (less tiring, but still with a good sporty sound), but for me not enough when driving with the top down meaning that PSE is a must have IMHO. I am happy that I ticked this box and I very much hope that the PSE delivers in the sound department. To put things into perspective it may be worth mentioning that the demo car had only close to 3,000 km on the clock whereas the odometer in our 987S shows > 100,000 km. Also I am a little bit spoiled from my 997.1 GT3 when it comes to engine and exhaust sound Smiley

In terms of fuel consumption the PDK equipped 981S clearly had the edge over the 987S. We measured 10,5 L / 100 km in the city (3 L less than the 987 Smiley), 11-12 L on country roads with some fun, 15-16 L on country roads and Autobahn with maximum fun.Smiley

Verdict: very efficient with effortless power delivery, but less “character” in both responsiveness and sound compared to the old non DFI engine.

Steering:  My initial fears regarding the e-steering went already away after my test drive with the 991S and the test drive in the 981S confirmed the impressions. I would say that the loss in feedback is even less in the Boxster compared to the Carrera – maybe due to the difference in weight distribution….just guessing.Smiley

No doubt the old steering was more communicative – with the new steering you can’t tell anymore if your tires are rolling over a cigarette with or without filter Smiley, but it is still best in class for road driving even in spirited manner and there is no problem at all in pointing the car exactly where you want when cornering. How it feels on the track or in the wet remains to be seen.

Verdict: yes, the e-steering feels more comfy/damped compared to the old steering, but in real world road driving I am sure I’ll miss nothing. Strange enough I actually think I’ll miss the old non DFI engine more than the old steering.

Brakes:  Perfect – still the good old progressive brake feeling, maybe with a little more bite towards the end of the pedal travel.

Roadholding: This is a quantum leap over the 987.1 (which was not a bad handling car after all…) – clearly the department where the Weissach boys gained the biggest advantage over the 987 (as with the 991 vs. 997). Well done Porsche. No under-steering even with spirited (road-) driving, hardly noticeable body roll and even without LSD/PTV hairpins could be taken in 911 fashion – fantastic. Smiley

If we assume for a moment that Porsche’s claims of NoS laptimes would be correct Smiley, then the 981S PDK is a whopping 20 secs faster than the 987S MK1 manual. The added 35 hp don’t make such a big difference on the NoS for a +/- 300 hp car (maybe 5 secs or so ?), the PDK maybe another 5 secs, meaning the chassis/suspension must account for 10 secs or so – quite impressive for someone who knows how it feels trying to shave off 10 secs from a +/- 8 min lap with a car which basically still is a very similar package compared to the predecessor. 

PASM:  Of course the PASM plays an important role in the roadholding/driving dynamics department.  Here again the newest version is no comparison with the very first version we had in our 987S.1 – a massive improvement. The latest version provides both – more precise feedback and more comfort at the same time (again similar impressions as with the 991 vs. 997). Smiley

It’s also worth mentioning that the calibration spread between Normal mode and Sport mode is much narrower now. With PASM.1 the Sport mode was usable only on the smoothest road surface – not so with the newest PASM generation which can be driven also on suboptimal roads in Sport mode without risking a loss of teeth inlays.

Verdict: chassis/suspension in the 981 takes it to a whole new level – absolutely superb Smiley

PDK: As already mentioned in my short driving report on the 991S the PDK works perfectly and allows to drive the car either in taxi mode (auto mode / city) or in spirited manner (sport/manual mode) on open roads. Astonishingly I found the auto mode even less boring compared to the 991S – maybe the shifting points are just different or it had to do with the “learning software”. But there is no doubt that you have to go Sport(+) / manual mode if you want authentic sportscar feeling. I, for one will drive the car like a manual just without the left foot/clutch action Smiley. Actually I found myself in the PDK car even more shifting gears as in the manual – just for the fun of it. Probably this will be even more so with the PSE providing these great throttle blip sounds on downshifts.Smiley BTW be aware of scared pedestrians when you drive in Sport(+) mode in the city, when bringing the car to a full halt at a red traffic light or Zebra stripe – when the PDK shifts down from 2nd into 1st and automatically produces the throttle blip sound some pedestrians may be afraid that you are going to “attack” them…Smiley

Verdict: PDK suits the car’s character of a more versatile and “grown-up” two-seater sportscar very well. Still I would like to test a 6speed but it seems that all demo cars are equipped with the PDK.

Smaller observations: The Sound Package does “clang” less in the 981 but still is not for the audiophile. The TFT display is excellent - especially the Satnav graphic (unlike the PCM map picture on the bigger screen which I didn’t like too much), legibility of the instruments could be a bit better IMHO (maybe just a matter of familiarisation), overall ergonomics is excellent (except for the limited rear view – the mash wind deflector doesn’t really help), standard seats are better than before (though I still prefer the Sport Seats Plus at least).

Overall verdict: the Boxster has moved from a “go-kartish” Roadster to a more grown up and versatile Cab. The 987 also conveyed authentic sportscar feeling at lower speeds, which is less true for the 981 IMHO. On the other hand the 981 is a much more competent sportscar at higher speeds. This may call for trouble because if you really want to feel and enjoy the Porscheness of your new Boxster you may want (or have…) to push the throttle deeper than traffic law and the police suggests….Again IMHO a similarity between 991 and 981 (compared to 997 and 987). The latter – admittedly subjective - observation even more did confirm my opinion that – if you want a Porsche Cab and do not bother with tiny rear seats or “prestige” – go for the Boxster(S). Smiley

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Re: 981S - driven (prolonged testdrive)

Excellent review! kiss

So this means you are not getting the 60th Anniversary Corvette 427 convertible?smiley

Porsche-Jeck:

Also the engine’s response - with both pushing the pedal and lifting the foot – felt more spontaneous in the old non DFI engine. 

Strange enough I actually think I’ll miss the old non DFI engine more than the old steering.

I had a 987 3.4S non DFi engine.

The 991's DFi engine (981 is a detuned version of this) is IMO, far superior. Much more responsive in that it gains and loses revs much more quickly. And so much more free revving and eager.

In my mind, the 987 non DFi is a top class athlete who retired 20 years ago and who now does the pro series, while the DFi is the winner of the 100m men's finals at London 2012.

Thanks for the write up PJ! kiss Great to hear you how much you enjoyed the test drive. The 981 does sound like a great car! Need to get a test drive booked too now indecision

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE, Alpine Head Unit and Amplifier, Focal Speakers

latest CAR magazine has a group test of Boxster S v new SLK55 v Z4 35iS. Chris Chilton, in counterpoint, says of the Boxster:

"Right now, it's one of the greatest new cars money can buy."

sfo:

The 991's DFi engine (981 is a detuned version of this) is IMO, far superior. Much more responsive in that it gains and loses revs much more quickly. And so much more free revving and eager.

I am sure that the new engine is superior by any objective criteria Smiley My comment  is more based on subjetive feeling.    I am no engineer, but I'd say via the gaspedal the old non DFI engine provides the impression that there is more "friction" in the engine (not sure weather this makes any sense Smiley) and thus provides a more interactive feeling.

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Many thanks for your detailed report PJ, a wonderful and very informative read.kiss The 981 Boxster sounds a masterpiece . Makes me wonder whether we should have gone for a new Boxster rather than a used 997S,   I guess having had three 987's ( two Boxsters and a Cayman) it's good to try something different - and a new Boxster would have cost £10k more than the 997 did if we specced one to our preference.

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

dreamcar:  I guess having had three 987's ( two Boxsters and a Cayman) it's good to try something different 

Absolutely - and the 997S is such a wonderful car Smiley To me the design still looks perfect Smiley

--

+1 kiss

+1 kiss

--
    Off enjoying my car...

Excellent review! Same as I feel with the 991 Cabrio, I would now buy a 981 Boxster in a heartbeat!

--

1987 911 Carrera 3.2 - 2012 Cayenne Diesel

Thank you P-J for sharing your review.

I'm glad that a keen driver like you had no qualms with e-steering too.

I also agree with you that a properly specified Boxster is the better open car choice from Porsche, compared to the 911 Cabrio.

--

"Form follows function"

Fantastic review, very insightful.

Thanks for sharing! wink

--

Thanks P-J ! Excellent write up !!  Now I feel I know the new Boxster smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Thank you! Sounds good and makes me happy.

Meanwhile I do not know how often i changed my possible configuration ...

Great report - Many thanks! 

I've seen a couple of those cars around now and I have to say this is a really beautiful car! The side line, especially from the rear angle is stunning! Reading now that it also feels so much advantaged compared to the 987.2 this car must be a huge success! 

Thanks again!

Thanks very much for the great review PJkiss.

Go on DC, you know you want to.smiley Interesting your point on cost. In Australia the 981 is north of $160k, 2nd hand 997 gen 2 s would be around $180k.

Great review PJ !! Now I want to test drive itkiss

Any pics from the unit tested ?? 

--

Woolfe:

Go on DC, you know you want to.smiley Interesting your point on cost. In Australia the 981 is north of $160k, 2nd hand 997 gen 2 s would be around $180k.

No, Woolfe, I don't think so. It's not just the much greater performance that would stop me going back to a Boxster - financially it would represent poor value compared with a used 997; for the same £63k a new Boxster S would cost specced as we'd want it we could get an early 997 GTS or a 12 month old Carrera S with low mileage and all the bells and whistles. These cars are excellent value now that the prices of nearly new cars have softened following the introdution of the 991. A year ago there was no way we could have got a 997 PDK for anything close to the money we paid for our car.

Don't get me wrong, I have huge respect for Porsche's mid engined cars, they are definitely more nimble and precise than the 997. But somehow the latter feels a more mature car, can't really put my finger on why I sense that, maybe it's the bad Cayman experience has left a bitter taste behind, or we just needed a change. Smiley

---

Only having you on! The 997's look excellent value and it looks like you and SWHBO are happy which is all that counts!! mmmm GTS, 2nd hand ones are $240k here!

Woolfe:

Only having you on! 

It's a valid question though Woolfe, and we did think very hard about the option of a new 981. Spent some time playing with the configurator but having wasted so much money on the Cayman we just couldn't justify the cost to change. We knew the Cayman had to go but for what? Then one lunchtime at work I was perusing the Porsche used car website, looking for a Cayman S with the right options when purely by chance I found a 997S with nearly all the right kit in our favourite colour at the right price........

--

Woolfe:

Only having you on! The 997's look excellent value and it looks like you and SWHBO are happy which is all that counts!! mmmm GTS, 2nd hand ones are $240k here!

Woolfe, 

you guys definitely are fully screwed price wise in Australia. I am moving to new Zealand and am shocked at the prices, but not as bad as yours.

a 991 s cab thats $127us here in USA is $240k us in new Zealand!!!!! Ouch I might buy a boxster s to keep it under $150k us....My turbo s cab that was $174 us is 340us!!!!!

a 458 is $450 us vs 300 in USA....  I guess the last remaining freedom in USA is cheap ssport cars

Sounds like the new booster s is a great car...

Sounds as if you work in the movie industry. 

Can't you take the car from the US with you, without having to pay high import taxes and/or local prices?

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Rc,

nz is rhd only, remember our thread on importing from uk, need to own and rg the car one year before importation?

watt:

Rc,

nz is rhd only, remember our thread on importing from uk, need to own and rg the car one year before importation?

Easily sorted. You buy the car, I run it for 12 months then you export it. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    802510 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448330 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265887 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89893 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6374 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885276 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    831845 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM