Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

who would !! Chris Harris bought a Ferrari

Hello guys

Nice video from a guy that already leave a mark in automotive journalism.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pQdpNoPCd9o

Enjoy wink

Paulo

Re: who would !! Chris Harris bought a Ferrari

I read the title and thought it was a error, because I can quite clearly remember him ripping into them for their policy and attitude when dealing with automotive journalist, and the way in which they only allow "ringer" cars to be used in their performance test complete with an small squad of factory personal to continually tweak the car to deliver the best results.

Chris Harris is a car nut. He sold the Porsche and bought a 599 and I bet that in a couple of months, he gets something else again. When the itch strikes a car nut...I get it. indecision

I still dream of the Aventador...maybe...someday... 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC it's going to be like an affair when you get the Aventador, which I suspect you eventually will. You're going to have to rent it a parking spot somewhere where your neighbours don't see it. never park it in front of your business. undercover car ownership indecision

Enmanuel:

RC it's going to be like an affair when you get the Aventador, which I suspect you eventually will. You're going to have to rent it a parking spot somewhere where your neighbours don't see it. never park it in front of your business. undercover car ownership indecision

First, I would need to be divorced from my wife, since she threatened me with divorce if I ever get a Lamborghini or Ferrari. Smiley

To be serious: I will never get an Aventador over here where I am living in Germany, this is just not going to happen. If I ever move some place else and I can afford it (the moving and the Aventador Smiley), maybe. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

CH is an arse! All that he wants is to make a fuss around his name; Clarkson style!

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:

CH is an arse! All that he wants is to make a fuss around his name; Clarkson style!

Could not disagree more, he is the exact opposite as Clarkson. Harris is a real car nut, like us, and he can drive one too, his reviews are informative and very insightful into what us car nuts value in a a sportscars and intended for sportscar enthusiasts like us, not an entertainment show in a comedic tone for the masses. I just wish more of the motor press was like him, he speaks to "us" in his reviews and not to the masses, he does not hold back anything he has to say, and is as passionate about them as "we" are.

I see no contradiction in him buying a Ferrari after the brave article he wrote on Ferrari's use of ringer's for the press and control of the press (seems that you as a Ferrari "fanatic" have not forgiven him for that), that does not say anything bad about Ferrari cars themselves  just how Ferrari handles the press. And in spite that and all the backlash he received from Ferrari, him buying a Ferrari just proves how much a true car nut that he is that he buys what his heart wants.

If I had to choose one automotive journalist with which I identify more, and gives me the most insight into the cars he tests, that is Chris Harris.

--

REALZEUS:

LOL Ferrari fan much? CH is a good bloke with amazing driving skills and a talent for testing cars to the actual sense and place they hold with 99.99% of real world buyers, car enthusiasts and speed fans. His reviews are very good, you should watch some more....

I think what ticked you off is how he exposed the poor practices of Ferrari making their cars better for test drives etc... It's pathetic really.

Chris Harris:
    The finance payments were too much, someone offered me good money for it, so I sold the Porsche. 599 values have hit the skids in the UK, Ferrari won't let me drive its cars any more, and I miss driving them so I bought, a 599. It's fast.

A good analysis:

Long story short.

Because for Ferrari to let you test drive any car of theirs, you have to name where, what track and such before Ferrari will send off a card a complete crew along with you.

They will set up the cars sent to match that track and roads. They will often equip the car with sticky tires so it basically makes any comparison with other cars useless.

I read somewhere that they had taken a Ferrari to a rolling road to check the engine figures when the tires got stuck to the "road".

REALZEUS:

Absolutely not.

CH is a proper driver, ran the 24h of Nurburgring, done numerous rallys and an excellent journalist who speaks his mind.

I let him drive my Porsche Singer of which a video will be posted on Pistonheads in January without second thoughts.

I actually really appreciate his honesty about buying a 599. Doesnt share the same marketing vision as the company, but what a car!

Carlos from Spain:
    REALZEUS:

Could not disagree more, he is the exact opposite as Clarkson. Harris is a real car nut, like us, and he can drive one too, his reviews are informative and very insightful into what us car nuts value in a a sportscars and intended for sportscar enthusiasts like us, not an entertainment show in a comedic tone for the masses. I just wish more of the motor press was like him, he speaks to "us" in his reviews and not to the masses, he does not hold back anything he has to say, and is as passionate about them as "we" are.

I see no contradiction in him buying a Ferrari after the brave article he wrote on Ferrari's use of ringer's for the press and control of the press (seems that you as a Ferrari "fanatic" have not forgiven him for that), that does not say anything bad about Ferrari cars themselves  just how Ferrari handles the press. And in spite that and all the backlash he received from Ferrari, him buying a Ferrari just proves how much a true car nut that he is that he buys what his heart wants.

If I had to choose one automotive journalist with which I identify more, and gives me the most insight into the cars he tests, that is Chris Harris.

Smiley

--

Futch:
    REALZEUS:

Absolutely not.

CH is a proper driver, ran the 24h of Nurburgring, done numerous rallys and an excellent journalist who speaks his mind.

I let him drive my Porsche Singer of which a video will be posted on Pistonheads in January without second thoughts.

I actually really appreciate his honesty about buying a 599. Doesnt share the same marketing vision as the company, but what a car!

He may be a good driver but that doesn't automatically make him a decent bloke.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Because he doesn't have a good thing to say about how Ferrari handles PR and their cars' performance?

He still bought a 599, despite some of the bogus test numbers. He buys the car because even with not so stellar performance it is still a GREAT CAR. I done mind having a 599 either, if the right one come across. 599 IS one of the best from Ferrari, I would put it second to Enzo on my wishlist.

Whoopsy:

Because he doesn't have a good thing to say about how Ferrari handles PR and their cars' performance?

No not really, even though he didn't say anything bad about their performance. My problems with his statement are the following:

1) Independent customer cars have achieved the claimed Ferrari numbers in performance testing; the Enzo that at the time broke all of R&T records was a privetely owned car.

2) No other journo uttered anything similar to what he insinuated. Surely Clarkson would not have hesitated as he is famous enough to do so relatively unscathed.

3) Even if we do subscribe to CH's theory, what was he doing for the past 10 years? Why didn't he say anything earlier? How credible does he look now? 

4) It remains a well known fact that he is a strong Porsche supporter. Some even call him an unnoficial P spokesman.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:
    Whoopsy:

No not really, even though he didn't say anything bad about their performance. My problems with his statement are the following:

1) Independent customer cars have achieved the claimed Ferrari numbers in performance testing; the Enzo that at the time broke all of R&T records was a privetely owned car.

2) No other journo uttered anything similar to what he insinuated. Surely Clarkson would not have hesitated as he is famous enough to do so relatively unscathed.

3) Even if we do subscribe to CH's theory, what was he doing for the past 10 years? Why didn't he say anything earlier? How credible does he look now? 

4) It remains a well known fact that he is a strong Porsche supporter. Some even call him an unnoficial P spokesman.

And these things make someone 'an arse' in your book?Smiley

You must be pleasant company, very classy.Smiley

No, his unfounded allegations make him such in my book. My personal belief is that he made these comments in order to stir some fuss. But that is just my speculation. The fact remains that he made some serious allegations, none of which he supported with proof.  

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

The fact is this is old news - he got the 599 a long time before this post. 

Happy new year to you all :)

In my experience, Chris Harris provides remarkably balanced, honest and well considered views on Ferrari models...

Smiley SmileySmiley

REALZEUS:

No, his unfounded allegations make him such in my book. 

No one invents something like that. In my book this makes him the only journalist to have come out and speak the truth about it for fear of the consequences.,,, he hasn't been allowed to test a Ferrari since.

--

REALZEUS:

This is such a dumb comment. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

I met and raced Chris - great all around guy!

--
    Off enjoying my car...

REALZEUS:

You do realize up until the Enzo, no one really say anything about Ferrari's special press cars? Enzo is produced when Ferrari is at the top of their game, it was and still is a godly car, best Ferrari ever made in all of Ferrari's history? It's performance is so good on it's own that nothing else can touch it for quite a long time?

360 is the first Ferrari disappointment, and the 430 and in a way the 458 too. These cars' performance are lacking to say the least, barely matching older comparable offerings from Porsche's 996 Turbo, 996 Turbo S, 997 Turbo, 997 Turbo S? Not to mention Lambo's and now McLaren. 

Seems like right now Ferrari is content with selling good enough cars to Russians and Mainland Chinese students based on their reputation alone. 

The special Ferrari press cars is really no secret, Chris is not the first to say something about it, all the magazines reviewers all 'knows', the 'rumors' are mentioned every now and then in little bits just to not upset Ferrari and getting embargoed. Something Mr Harris didn't care. 

You are talking about the same 458 that was clocked numerous times below 10s for the 0-200 km/h dash? If yes, then clearly we are not on the same page. Not to mention that it has a N/A engine, thus it is less susceptible to tuning compared to the turbo offerings of the competition. Then again everyone is free to believe whatever they want to. Smiley

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Always thought his reviews were objective and informative. One thing for certain he will get a different car experience when he sells the 599. The depreciation will give him quite a jolt.Smiley That is where I disagree with him when he acknowledged the depreciation issue and said it is a nice problem to have. No it isn't.Smiley

--

Carlos from Spain:
    REALZEUS:

No, his unfounded allegations make him such in my book. 

No one invents something like that. In my book this makes him the only journalist to have come out and speak the truth about it for fear of the consequences.,,, he hasn't been allowed to test a Ferrari since.

+1 He really impressed a lot of people in the industry with his journalistic findings on Ferrari's test cars.. It's pathetic really to write him off on this. It's one thing to be a Ferrari poster boy nut, but entirely different to blindly dislike industry professionals who are both very talented and honest in their approach. CH is the top guy. I think Ferrari really hurt themselves to the enthusiast community in the very least and I thank CH for that.

Whoopsy:

Seems like right now Ferrari is content with selling good enough cars to Russians and Mainland Chinese students based on their reputation alone. 

The special Ferrari press cars is really no secret, Chris is not the first to say something about it, all the magazines reviewers all 'knows', the 'rumors' are mentioned every now and then in little bits just to not upset Ferrari and getting embargoed. Something Mr Harris didn't care. 

hahaha so true Smiley

REALZEUS:

You are talking about the same 458 that was clocked numerous times below 10s for the 0-200 km/h dash? If yes, then clearly we are not on the same page. Not to mention that it has a N/A engine, thus it is less susceptible to tuning compared to the turbo offerings of the competition. Then again everyone is free to believe whatever they want to. Smiley

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

You mean this test from Autozeitung?

Nuerburgring GP :

1:37,81 - 458 Italia
    1:38,05 - GT3 RS 4.0

458 Italia 

0-100 km/h - 3,3s
    0-160 km/h - 6,7s
    0-200 km/h - 10,0s

slalom 18m - 69,6 km/h

100-0 km/h cold - 32,5m
    100-0 km/h warm - 31,5m

GT3 RS 4.0

0-100 km/h - 3,8s
    0-160 km/h - 7,8s
    0-200 km/h - 11,8s

slalom 18m - 71,4 km/h

100-0 km/h cold - 32,7m
    100-0 km/h warm - 31,0m

MP4-12C 

0-100 km/h - 3,0s
    0-160 km/h - 5,9s
    0-200 km/h - 8,7s

100-0 km/h cold - 33,3m
    100-0 km/h warm - 34,9m

Or this one from AMS?

1st place: Ferrari 458 Italia

It was a tough battle, but the Italia won, because it's "more mature" and it's faster at the limit.
    Tyres: Michelin Pilot Super Sport
    Weight: 1546 kg
    Vmax.: 326 km/h
    0-100 km/h in 3,5 s
    0-200 km/h in 10,4 s
    0-260 km/h in 19,2 s
    Quarter mile in 11,3 s
    Flexibility (80-120 km/h) in 5th/6th gear: 3,3 s/4,6 s
    18 m slalom: 68,4 km/h
    110 m ISO evasive test: 155,3 km/h
    Braking (100-0 km/h) cold/warm: 33,8 m/33,0 m
    Hockenheimring: 1.09,7 min

2nd place: McLaren MP4-12CIt's faster than the 458, but it's also more expensive, it has some quality-issues and it might be a bit more sportier in terms of design and sound.
    Tyres: Pirelli P Zero Corsa
    Weight: 1483 kg
    Vmax.: 330 km/h
    0-100 km/h in 3,2 s
    0-200 km/h in 9,2 s
    0-260 km/h in 16,7 s
    Quarter mile in 10,8 s
    Flexibility (80-120 km/h) in 5th/6th gear: 3,6 s/5,9 s
    18 m slalom: 68,4 km/h
    110 m ISO evasive test: 153,5 km/h
    Braking (100-0 km/h) cold/warm: 33,8 m/33,8 m
    Hockenheimring: 1.09,5 m

Or the Supertest?

Ferrari 458 Italia Supertest

Acceleration:

0-100 km/h: 3,5 s
    0-200 km/h: 10,6 s

Nürburgring-Nordschleife: 
    7.33 min - 997 GT2
    7.38 min - GT-R R35
    7.38 min - 458 Italia
    7.38 min - Corvette ZR1
    7.39 min - 430 Scuderia
    7.40 min - SLS AMG
    7.44 min - R8 V10 R-tronic

Hockenheimring: 
    1.09,7 min - 997 GT2
    1.10,2 min - KTM X-Bow
    1.10,3 min - 430 Scuderia
    1.10,5 min - 458 Italia
    1.10,8 min - SLS AMG (ABS reprogramed)
    1.11,3 min - Gallardo LP560-4
    1.11,9 min - 997.2 Turbo PDK

Wet handling track: 
    1.29,7 min - 997 GT2
    1.33,6 min - 458 Italia
    1.33,8 min - Gallardo LP560-4

Tyres: Michelin Pilot Sport K1, specially developed for the 458

Or Car and Driver's 1/4 mile time of 11.5 at 128mph? 200km/h is 124mph and change, common sense tells you the 458 doesn't take more than 1.6 seconds to gain that extra 4 mph, so it's well into the 10s for 0-124mph aka 200km/h

etc.

+1 He really impressed a lot of people in the industry with his journalistic findings on Ferrari's test cars.. It's pathetic really to write him off on this. It's one thing to be a Ferrari poster boy nut, but entirely different to blindly dislike industry professionals who are both very talented and honest in their approach. CH is the top guy. I think Ferrari really hurt themselves to the enthusiast community in the very least and I thank CH for that.

+1 

Realzeus isn't doing Ferrari any favors too with these posts. And I thank him for that. Smiley

REALZEUS:

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Did you ever ASK your Self why the 458 can hardly outrun a stock turbo pdk ( both car stock, both car private)

http://youtu.be/jeM6QUrv4ag

70 hp difference, and no visible difference... There are tons Off vids where the private 458 didnt performe as he should strightline vs the competition (private cars)

had a run against a 458 (2 Persons) 2 month ago in my 997.1 Turbo (1 Person). Over 50 km of highway we had several trys from 120-140km/h range to 250-270km/h range and there was no difference at all. Maybe he wasnt trying hard enough :).

For me all the press tests are done with "tuned" factory cars.

I don't think the small Ferrari models have ever been faster than the Turbos in real life. From the 1970s 308/328 against the 930, to today.

Where the Ferrari gains are in rarity, spectacular appearance and richer sensory driving experience.

--

"Form follows function"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759713 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433804 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259753 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256908 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80606 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5305 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870730 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805770 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM