Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: The itch strikes again...

Oh, I forgot to add.. you can specify the CDS according to your wishes! (PDCC, TPMS,...)

Lord_Driftalot:

Oh, I forgot to add.. you can specify the CDS according to your wishes! (PDCC, TPS,...)

Like I said before, the deal is only valid for cars my dealer has or will soon have in stock. I also need a winter car now, not in April (this would be the next production slot for a specced Cayenne S Diesel). 5 seconds from 0-200 kph is a huge difference in my book, so the Diesel isn't really my thing. Also the GTS sounds much much better, the sound is actually something I am going to miss from my C63.

Yes, the Turbo without PDCC is a bummer, I just don't understand why the dealer ordered the car this way. It just doesn't make sense. For my purpose, this wouldn't be the biggest problem since I would use the car mainly in the city and/or some trips to the mountain in winter time but I drove a Cayenne Turbo with and without PDCC a while ago and I know how much of a (felt) difference it makes when the streets are dry and you let it run, especially in curves. It will surely take away some of the fun. 

Right now, I am very inclined towards the GTS, it offers the perfect package for me. The lack of TPM is a problem though, I had two flat tires this year, so I wouldn't want to get a car without TPM.

According to my mechanic, TPM is not retrofittable. Which is kind of weird because I always thought that all cars are equipped with TPM from the factory but they just lack the sensors in the rims.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X3 35d, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

What are the specs of the CDS whis is coming to your dealer by 01/13?

Is that car specifyed to your needs (& whishes)?

Lord_Driftalot:

What are the specs of the CDS whis is coming to your dealer by 01/13?

Is that car specifyed to your needs (& whishes)?

I never asked about the specs because I'm not really interested. Smiley The car was supposed to be their demo car but they would give it to me or another of their old time customers who was interested. I guess somebody got lucky because I already told my dealer that I'm not interested anymore.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X3 35d, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Ok, so what about that for the GTS? http://www.tiremoni.com/

Lord_Driftalot:

Ok, so what about that for the GTS? http://www.tiremoni.com/

Nope. The sensors are mounted on the valve which could lead to various issues.

--

Lord_Driftalot:

Ok, than you might go for that -> http://www.hella.com/produktion/HellaUSA/WebSite/Channels/Drivers/Products/New_Products/Tire_Press_Monitor_Sys/Tire_Press_Monito...

I know this system but I have to check with Porsche first if there is a problem with the additional weight in the rims because of the PTM. Another problem is that the tires have to be removed from the rim to install this system properly. This could actually be more dangerous than driving without a tire pressure monitor. Smiley

Thanks a lot for your suggestions but I'm not a friend of aftermarket stuff, especially when it comes to safety.

--

i would stay with the C63. like amazon stated you have a family car and your wife has also one. You'll get tired soon of both Cayenne GTS and Turbo, and in half a year the discussion starts again :).

If the deal on the GTS is that good, why not take it? However, I think you'll end up trading it in on a Turbo down the road.

hunterone:

i would stay with the C63. like amazon stated you have a family car and your wife has also one. You'll get tired soon of both Cayenne GTS and Turbo, and in half a year the discussion starts again :).

I already got tired of the C63...not really helpful. Smiley Smiley

There is nothing really to loose here for me...(well, maybe some valuable time).

--

RC:
    throt:
    bigbuzuki:

Rc, what magnitude of losses will your business suffer if you go for the Carrera 4S?

Customers, if he parks outside his works....Smiley..

Yep. This may sound like nothing but I have mainly regular customers and word travels fast. Smiley

I can always find an excuse for a Cayenne but not for a 911.

The problem will be the same with the 991 turbo... it will end-up being a garage queen too. Smiley  

The reason you mention for not buying a c4s is not a good one. Try to find a reasonable solution. Smiley

I dont know what you do for a living, and I'm not asking, but maybe you could consider renting/buying an indoor garage near your office. Maybe there's a public/protected car park near your office too?

Personaly, I'd rather have a 991c4s and walk a bit every morning.

I can tell you that I'm a lawyer. I have to go to court and visit clients. So when I'll be able to buy a 911, I know that I will have the exact same problem as yours.

Indeed, there's no way for a lawyer to show up at a client's office with a 911. And if a judge sees you in such a car, it will probably have a disastrous effect on the court's opinion. So the solutions will be:

a) park somewhere no one can see you;

b) take a taxi.

Either way, I will have my 911. Smiley

I'd give my custom to a 911 driver anytime, in whatever line of business other things being equal.

I'm not sure I'd sympathize as much with a Cayenne driver. smiley

--

"Form follows function"

There is a different mentality here, especially in my city (lots of low income workers and/or leftist intellectuals). The new Cayenne is really "acceptable" to most because they know I have kids but a 911 isn't. Same goes for the Panamera. Both are considered luxury cars.

I cannot make any compromise here, a 911 in front of my business would cost me a serious amount of business. Good idea with the garage but most garage spaces near by are not suitable for larger cars, not even for a 911. I already found two spaces but they are too small.

Taxi? Are you kidding me? The last time I drove in a Taxi or a public transportation was 25 years ago. 

I am not a lawyer. As a lawyer, I would drive a 911. Even my wife, she is a doctor, can "afford" showing up in a 911. I can't, there is a certain psychology behind this, which is difficult to explain.

--

Understandable.

Unfortunately, you cannot make a 911 even your weekend car because on weekends  your wife and children ride with you and a 911 is not adequate for that.

It only remains for you to wait until your children grow up around 16 years when they won't want to join you on weekends. But that's in some years from now.

--

"Form follows function"

Then sell the PTS and the C63 AMG. Go for a Cayenne GTS/Turbo as DD/family car and a 991 4s as weekend fun car. When 911 Turbo arrives you change the 4s. 

All problems solved :)

reginos:

Understandable.

Unfortunately, you cannot make a 911 even your weekend car because on weekends  your wife and children ride with you and a 911 is not adequate for that.

It only remains for you to wait until your children grow up around 16 years when they won't want to join you on weekends. But that's in some years from now.

You got it. Smiley

Right now, the Cayenne GTS seems to be the candidate of my choice but I will know for sure in a day or two.

Why the GTS? Main reasons: Sporty chassis incl. PDCC, very nice exhaust/engine sound (close to C63), very nice interior (GTS package with red stitching, full carbon, etc.) and lower GTS just looks sportier.

Why not the Turbo? Softer ride, exhaust/engine sound not much different to my PTS, no PDCC, high fuel consumption in city and at top speed, interior black in black without anything special.

Why not the S Diesel? Softer ride, exhaust/engine sound worse than Turbo, performance worse than GTS.

I think I got it all figured out, now I just need to see how I deal with the lack of TPM. Smiley

--

hunterone:

Then sell the PTS and the C63 AMG. Go for a Cayenne GTS/Turbo as DD/family car and a 991 4s as weekend fun car. When 911 Turbo arrives you change the 4s. 

All problems solved :)

My PTS does 0-100 kph in 3.7 seconds and 0-200 kph in 11.7 seconds. Why would I get a Cayenne instead or even a 991 Carrera 4S? Smiley

Panamera Turbo S = Family weekend and vacation car

Cayenne GTS = Daily driver

During the week, I am working = Cayenne GTS.

During the weekends, I am with the family = Panamera Turbo S.

I think I got it all figured out now. 

There can't be any "weekend fun car" because I spend the weekends with the family (wife and/or kids). I tried with a 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet and failed miserably. They hated the car and I was barely driving it. Same goes to my former 997 Turbo. I had this car for five years, it was fast as hell Smiley but I barely put 30000 km on it.

--

Interesting dilema - go for the GTS!  But how about some numbers?

I just got another 2nd car for bad weather.  A 2013 Hyundai Sonata (traded my 2011 Sonata six speed manual two years into a three year lease).  Basic model, Seal grey, for myself.  My 18 year old just had the 3 year lease on her Toyota Corolla run out (she got it when she was 15!) so I got her one as well - also Seal Greay.  Two cars in about 1/2 hour from a local dealer - like buying shoes.

One car listed at 22K the other one at 24K (she got the nice SE and I got the GLS)

After a bit of horse trading and NO CASH AT ALL here is what my deal was

- Including sales taxes the montly lease on each car is $215 (GLS) and $229 (SE) - that is the total payment for 36 months.  No payment for 30 days.  Residual(s) after 36 months is 14K for the GLS and 15K for the SE.  ZERO money down!  Interest rate is basically below zero!  Payments and tax all going to principal and have the option to buy or trade after three years with the remainder of the 10 year 100K warranty in place.  It is very tempting to buy these cars after three years and sell them because the warranty keeps the resale so high!

Both cars are loaded with TPMS (lol), automatics, 38MPG highway, Direct Injection (200HP) 4 cylinders. XM radio, bluetooth, blue link, SE has iPhone app for remote starting, etc. CD player, iPod connectivity, - crazy list of standard stuff!!!  My daughters SE has sport suspension, 18inch wheels, dual exhaust, partial leather, power heated front seats and the Blue link system has tons of features - hands free texting, turn by turn directions, remote disable, perimeter settings (will email parents if it leaves a set perimeter, speed, curfew etc).  My GLS also has blue link just no remote starting.

Both are very safe cars as well pretty quick (for what they are) with excellent warranties and front wheel drive for the winter.  Insurance is very cheap as well. 

I still have my 2005 997S which gets most of the daily use but the Hyundai is a very solid and dare I say 'fun' four door sedan.  It does not turn any heads, which is not my goal, just the way it is.

You mention these 'great' deals RC.  How about some numbers?  I have no idea what you consider a good deal.

RC:

Hallelujah!  You've figured out that you need two SUVs and a big sedan in your garage - because there's just no way that a Cayenne GTS could double up as a daily driver and a "family weekend and vacation" car, leaving no space for a proper sports car.  Makes a great deal of sense to me.  Smiley

I can't give numbers, sorry, they are confidential (dealer request, probably for good reasons ). The deal is good enough to get rid of my C63 without loosing a penny (I bought it at a very convenient price with only 300 km from a local dealer) and lease cost would be ridiculous, especially since I am going to use part of the money for the C63 to pay for the initial payment. Overall, it is a very good deal for me because I get to drive a new Porsche and when the lease runs out in three years, overall cost would be the same as if I would have kept the C63 incl. depreciation.

I still have a Mini Cooper S Countryman All4 if I really need a car but this car is kind of an "emergency" car for the whole family, incl. my mother and I wouldn't want to drive it as a daily driver, the frustration would pick up on me sooner or later. angry

The Cayenne GTS makes the most sense from all points of view and I think I'm going to go for this deal but I want my wife and kids to see the car in flesh too before I go for it. Kids are already excited (they love the Cayenne) and my wife usually tells me to do what I want (when it comes to cars indecision). Since we already have a Panamera, she really wanted one, she doesn't care about this one anymore.

--

PureBlue:
    RC:

Hallelujah!  You've figured out that you need two SUVs and a big sedan in your garage - because there's just no way that a Cayenne GTS could double up as a daily driver and a "family weekend and vacation" car, leaving no space for a proper sports car.  Makes a great deal of sense to me.  Smiley

Nope, the Cayenne GTS would be too slow. Maybe you forgot but I live in Germany...Autobahn and all. Smiley The PTS is also a lot of fun in curves, I doubt that the Cayenne GTS can do the Nordschleife in 7:52 min.

As to my wife's car, the X3 35d, it is her car. She has a job too, so there is almost no possibility that I drive it. Well, maybe one day per month when we go out to a place where a Porsche wouldn't be the right car at night. Smiley

So let me see: During the week, I need a daily driver. The weekends, I spend with my family.

So now tell me: When would I drive a proper sports car? Smiley

I had a garage queen for five years and exchanged it for another garage queen for one year. Does this make sense to you? Smiley

Cheers. Smiley

--

Christian,

What about Cayenne S in Amethyst Metallic? For the same money it features PDCC, PTV Plus, RDK snd PCCB...

This is how the story will play out.

RC's mind set on GTS, convinces himself that CT(S) not for him thanks to lack of PDCC.

RC buys GTS - loves it.

Gets passed on Autobahn by CT(S) - regrets his decision as sound does not make up for speed.

Comes up with lots of compelling arguments why he should trade for CT(S) - refuting many of his own inital arguments in support of GTS and against CT(S).

RC trades GTS for CT(S) within 6 months.

RC happy - for now...

End of story smiley

--
    Off enjoying my car...

TEE:

RC's mind set on GTS, convinces himself that CT(S) not for him thanks to lack of PDCC.

RC buys GTS - loves it.

Gets passed on Autobahn by CT(S) - regrets his decision as sound does not make up for speed.

Comes up with lots of compelling arguments why he should trade for CT(S) - refuting many of his own inital arguments in support of GTS and against CT(S).

RC happy - for now...

End of story smiley

SmileySmileySmileySmiley

Now that that's all settled, I suppose the thread can be locked.

RC:

There is a different mentality here, especially in my city (lots of low income workers and/or leftist intellectuals). The new Cayenne is really "acceptable" to most because they know I have kids but a 911 isn't. Same goes for the Panamera. Both are considered luxury cars.

I cannot make any compromise here, a 911 in front of my business would cost me a serious amount of business. Good idea with the garage but most garage spaces near by are not suitable for larger cars, not even for a 911. I already found two spaces but they are too small.

Taxi? Are you kidding me? The last time I drove in a Taxi or a public transportation was 25 years ago. 

I am not a lawyer. As a lawyer, I would drive a 911. Even my wife, she is a doctor, can "afford" showing up in a 911. I can't, there is a certain psychology behind this, which is difficult to explain.

--

Wow RC. I much respect your opinions in this forum and maybe this has been discussed before, but have to say that unless I was a beggar, I would give a rat a$$ about my client's opinions of the cars I drive.   Its my money, its my life and  I dont need anybody else approval no matter who they are.  I drive my 991 carrera and 958 GTS Cayenne every day to wherever I want, and I live in Brazil! we are the nirvana of leftist intellectuals and home of the low income workers, but still everybody mind their own business. I cant believe these things happen in Germany, by far the largest European economy and from our perspective, one of the most advanced and admired countries in the worldSmiley

Anyway sorry to go off topic, as I said before, the loud exhaust and stiffer suspension in my GTS dont do it for me as a DD, thats what my 991 is for, but to each its own, maybe I am just getting old, Good look with your decision, I totally understand that from your point of view, youll love the GTS.

RC will go for the GTS, but who knows 6 months down the road and his dealer MIGHT have a Cayenne Turbo S with the right options and the right deal that he can't refuse AGAIN.

THEN he will post about his itch AGAIN.

TEE:

Likely.

RC buys GTS - loves it.

Hopefully.

Nope...regrets his decision to use the GTS today and drives home to get the PTS. Smiley

Nope. As long as I have the PTS.

Again...I have the PTS.

RC happy - for now...

End of story smiley

There is never an end of story because the itch goes and comes. I may get another itch when the 991 Turbo shows up (actually already have it since I "know" the car Smiley) but I gave myself 3 years to make a decision if I go for ONE family/fun car or a family car (which can be used as a daily driver too) and a fun car. In 3 years...after the PTS and GTS lease runs out. Smiley

This is the beauty of lease contracts, you usually can't get out too fast, so this is kind of good thing to make sure that my itch doesn't come too often. Smiley

In all your arguments, you forget that I own the PTS. For you it may be "just" a big sedan but for me, this is a family 911, the perfect weekend car for me when I travel with the family.

--

galion:

Wow RC. I much respect your opinions in this forum and maybe this has been discussed before, but have to say that unless I was a beggar, I would give a rat a$$ about my client's opinions of the cars I drive.   Its my money, its my life and  I dont need anybody else approval no matter who they are.

You need to understand that in my specific business and environment, I can't ignore my customers. Hell...I can't even ignore my neighbors. There is a huge difference between a doctor or lawyer for example, where people go to even if they don't like him if he is good and helps them.

In my business, I have only one benefit: Sympathy. This is not about how good or bad I am, this is about sympathy and people feeling good at my business. Of course there is some trust involved too but there are similar businesses like mine only a couple of hundreds of meters away. So this is all about perception and if people feel good or not. With an luxury sedan or sportscar in front of my business, they would take their business somewhere else. This is a sad reality over here, you need to understand this. If I ignore this, I loose a lot of money. So I care to care. Smiley

Envy is a huge problem in Germany and people actually LIVE envy. Meaning: If they think you have too much, they go somewhere else because you already have enough money. Believe it or not but this is how it works here. Maybe not everywhere but where I live, a small city with lots of workers and leftist oriented population.

Most of my customers are quite old retired people with little money and younger people (students) and families with very little money. Trust me, a 911 in front of my business would be suicide for me. People talk and gossip and most people are returning customers. 

--

I see it, you're getting the GTS

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM