Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

A 959 almost made me crash in SF!

I'm sorry for no photos, but I couldn't help myself, someone has to know and appreciate the emotional spike I encountered today.

I was, as usual, driving along minding my own business in the Civic Center district of San Francisco. When, as I passed through an intersection, I looked to my right and saw the most beautiful machine...A Silver 959 on a flat-bed tow truck!!! As I pointed and yelled, "Oh my God! A NINE-FIFTY-NINE!!!" to my brother, I jerked the wheel slightly and almost whacked the car next to me... Luckily, I straightened out in time.

Unfortunately, my brother is not a car guy, and has no appreciation/knowledge of the significance of this gorgeous machine. I had to explain it to him, and tell him I still remember when Bryant Gumbel was on the "Today Show" with a 959 on the set talking about the car and how the windows didn't roll down yadda, yadda (must be almost 20 years now). So here I am, telling someone I know will listen, and appreciate the highlight of my day. Too bad I didn't have my brain intact, I would have followed him to wherever it was being delivered.

I think this is the first one I have seen in person.

Anyone in the Bay Area seen this car before or know where it is going???

Re: A 959 almost made me crash in SF!

Have seen a silver 959 few times outside one of the houses on last 2 blks of Broadway in PacHts...typically being washed by a household staff member in butler attire....several large underground garages w/very interesting cars have been carved into the hillsides beneath the houses of some of the PacHts car nuts.....for ex., one new house in 'hood has an elaborately finished display garage that has Enzo, F50, F40, 430...and 3-4 other interesting toys elegantly arrayed throughout garage....

lol, i had a similar situation when i saw a 993 turbo driving down the road...only i was riding my bike (bicycle) and almost ran into a light post

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Have seen a silver 959 few times outside one of the houses on last 2 blks of Broadway in PacHts...typically being washed by a household staff member in butler attire....several large underground garages w/very interesting cars have been carved into the hillsides beneath the houses of some of the PacHts car nuts.....for ex., one new house in 'hood has an elaborately finished display garage that has Enzo, F50, F40, 430...and 3-4 other interesting toys elegantly arrayed throughout garage....

Well VKSF, if your interested, a new home just came on the market on the "Gold Coast" of Pacific Heights (area your describing)...$65,000,000 and it's not finished yet! Some Photos of your next home
    Great place to display your 997

I saw a 959 driving near here in the mountains last summer - made my head turn pretty quick too!

Quote:
    Butzi (Chef_jmr) said:
    a new home just came on the market on the "Gold Coast" of Pacific Heights (area your describing)...$65,000,000 and it's not finished yet!

65 mil? what do you get for 65 mil in that area?

Quote:
    icon said:
    Quote:
    Butzi (Chef_jmr) said:
    a new home just came on the market on the "Gold Coast" of Pacific Heights (area your describing)...$65,000,000 and it's not finished yet!

65 mil? what do you get for 65 mil in that area?

Not enough. But maybe they'll throw in a 959?

Quote:
    Butzi (Chef_jmr) said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:

Well VKSF, if your interested, a new home just came on the market on the "Gold Coast" of Pacific Heights (area your describing)...$65,000,000 and it's not finished yet! Some Photos of your next home
    Great place to display your 997

That's the house under construction across street from Mr. Ellison's PacHts house, right?

Great neighborhood w/modest urban townhouses/pieds-a-terre for those SilicVy guys ....a few interesting cars certainly seen crawling up and down those hills....however, I recently saw a CGT at my dealer in for repairs after its PacHts owner got car lodged on crest of a hill and damaged transmission/underbody while trying to extricate car....

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    That's the house under construction across street from Mr. Ellison's PacHts house, right?

Great neighborhood w/modest urban townhouses/pieds-a-terre for those SilicVy guys ....a few interesting cars certainly seen crawling up and down those hills....however, I recently saw a CGT at my dealer in for repairs after its PacHts owner got car lodged on crest of a hill and damaged transmission/underbody while trying to extricate car....

That's the only reason why I passed on the CGT Can't avoid our hills. Need more clearance to pick-up the drycleaning.

Yes, the house is a block down from "Larry's"... His is much smaller (and modern-design) than this.

Man, what do you have to do to afford a 65 million dollar house

Property tax alone is like 1.3 million per year!!!!

65mil for that, what a rip off

Quote:
    wangt1015 said:
    Man, what do you have to do to afford a 65 million dollar house

Property tax alone is like 1.3 million per year!!!!

I think tax will be around $800,000 (~1.2%--a bargain). They featured this property tonight on the news after I brought it up here (it's been on the market for 10 days). The place is not finished yet, floors, fixtures, etc. need to be installed, an estimated $8million according to the contractor they interviewed. Don't know if that is on top of the price.
    20,000 sq. ft. main home, 5000 sq.ft. guest home. Furthermore, they will only show the place to people with a worth of $800,000,000!!!
    Any of our friends from Persian/Arabian Gulf interested? The Google boys already have their homes. I'll set up the showing Then pick up a couple of 997TT (his & hers)at the closing

Quote:
    JP66 said:

I agree. For that price you can get much serious houses/buildings in the best areas. I am of course talking about Europe, though, still in the most expensive places.

But well, Americans ... Joking guys!

I wouldn't spend $65.0m for a house in California and especially in SF Area just because of earthquakes ....

Quote:
    EricAlain said:

I wouldn't spend $65.0m for a house in California and especially in SF Area just because of earthquakes ....

I wouldn't think a second about not spending it, if I only had the money...

In PacHts, premium view lots in the 10-12 blks in which many want to live cost about $100MM/ac...most houses sit on 0.1-0.25 acs; struc costs $1K-3K/sq ft, dpdg on features/finishes (undgd display garage alone can cost $3-4MM; media rm can cost $1-2MM)...and many of these houses are 10-25K sq ft....

Many $30MM+ houses have been built in past 5yrs in PacHts, Woodside, CarbonBch (Malibu), NYC's UppESide, Greenwich, Montecito, Aspen, PalmBch, and London....most of those places are in quake zones/terrorist dirty bomb target regions/hurricane zones....and most owners of $30MM+ houses tend to own 3-4 such houses and a $50MM plane (or two) for their frequent travels.....so I suspect quakes/hurricanes/prop txs aren't too much of a financial/safety concern....and most of the buyers want/need houses near the world's tech/financial/media&entertainment capitals...and the world's favorite playgrounds, despite the risks entailed by many of those locations (let's not forget that overly remote locations offer risk of weak healthcare if one has a heart attack....or suffers a major injury while sailing, skiing, etc)....

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    In PacHts, premium view lots in the 10-12 blks in which many want to live cost about $100MM/ac...most houses sit on 0.1-0.25 acs; struc costs $1K-3K/sq ft, dpdg on features/finishes (undgd display garage alone can cost $3-4MM; media rm can cost $1-2MM)...and many of these houses are 10-25K sq ft....

Many $30MM+ houses have been built in past 5yrs in PacHts, Woodside, CarbonBch (Malibu), NYC's UppESide, Greenwich, Montecito, Aspen, PalmBch, and London....most of those places are in quake zones/terrorist dirty bomb target regions/hurricane zones....and most owners of $30MM+ houses tend to own 3-4 such houses and a $50MM plane (or two) for their frequent travels.....so I suspect quakes/hurricanes/prop txs aren't too much of a financial/safety concern....and most of the buyers want/need houses near the world's tech/financial/media&entertainment capitals...and the world's favorite playgrounds, despite the risks entailed by many of those locations (let's not forget that overly remote locations offer risk of weak healthcare if one has a heart attack....or suffers a major injury while sailing, skiing, etc)....

Good insight. I also wouldn't worry about earthquakes with a 2006 construction home built out of steel-reinforced concrete on top of Pacific Heights. My home is on sand, but I've reinforced it with so much steel, I hope I'm home when the big one comes and not sitting in my office (on landfill=liquifaction)! Here's a link to the news story from last night: $65MM Mansion in SF

We have a builder that is starting the process of a new spec home here in South Florida that will be $125 million. Donald Trump has one that will also be $125 million coming on the market. Crazy prices. Not im my lifetime, but best of luck to them. The statement they made is that only 200 people in the world can afford this house and only 3 currently on the market. His logic is that he likes the odds that only 3 on the market in the world and 200 potential buyers.

OK I take the point if $ 65m is just a small portion of your net assets .... then it does make some kind of sense to buy such an expensive estate....

As far as having a earthquake proof house is concerned I'm not sure such a thing exist in case of a "nasty" one.

Hurricanes can be very nasty and mean as well .... but the good news is you are aware when they will hit, therefore you have plenty of time to escape ... which is not the case with earthquakes ....

Building the most expensive house ever in Palm Beach (FL) is showing the bubble is just about to burst .... and the whole thing will land in tears ... It reminds me of the skyscrapper indicator, every time a new record high sky scrapper is announced, the market is extremely close to its peak .... and this time will be no exception .... If I remember correctly, there is a plan to built the world's tallest building in Dubai ...

PS: Please don't serve me the BS "This time is different ...."

Quote:
    As far as having a earthquake proof house is concerned I'm not sure such a thing exist in case of a "nasty" one.

No one will ever use the phrase "earthquake proof". It's just "more safe" than previous construction methods. In other words, my home may have to be rebuilt after an extremely large quake (tremblement de terre, for you), but it will provide sufficient protection for its occupants (hopefully) and not collapse on itself...

I think we're getting way OT. Maybe we should talk about which car would be better to get out-of-town after an earthquake, the 997TT or the Corvette ZO6?

Quote:
    VKSF said:

PICS ????

Quote:
    JP66 said:

That's an understatement!! You could build that for a tiny fraction of what they are asking. Like to see what the builder drives, after the sale.

Hard to believe that there are that many ultra high priced homes in SF. You could have such a super estate with incredible grounds plus 50 mil left over in so many other parts of the country/world.

And with the stock bust of 2000 how many still have the dough that larry does.

here is the one I saw last summer in Carmel,CA.

Wow thats a beauty

Quote:
    EricAlain said:

OK I take the point if $ 65m is just a small portion of your net assets .... then it does make some kind of sense to buy such an expensive estate....

Hurricanes can be very nasty and mean as well .... but the good news is you are aware when they will hit, therefore you have plenty of time to escape ... which is not the case with earthquakes ....

Building the most expensive house ever in Palm Beach (FL) is showing the bubble is just about to burst .... and the whole thing will land in tears ... It reminds me of the skyscrapper indicator, every time a new record high sky scrapper is announced, the market is extremely close to its peak .... and this time will be no exception .... If I remember correctly, there is a plan to built the world's tallest building in Dubai ...

PS: Please don't serve me the BS "This time is different ...."

Good to hear from you Eric. One thing to remember, there is no bubble for the super wealthy.

It might be a 1972 911 with a body kit and interior.

I never noticed if 959's had a rear filler flap on the LHD model passengers side. 72 911s did for oil.

Someone clarify please.

found it , 959's do have that feature.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    It might be a 1972 911 with a body kit and interior.

I never noticed if 959's had a rear filler flap on the LHD model passengers side. 72 911s did for oil.

Someone clarify please.

all the pics i've seen of them did!

Grant,

What color was the 959 you saw in Colorado? Last summer I thought I caught a glimpse of a silver 959 on the Evergreen Parkway, but I just figured it couldn't have been so. We were heading home from hiking in the mountains, and I couldn't convince my wife to turn around to confirm that the car was indeed a 959.

By the way, you may have noticed that this is my first post. I've been reading the posts on the board for several months now, but I guess it took something as special as a 959 to get me to jump in and get my feet wet! Greetings to all!

James

Cayene Release Day at Sonnen

I stopped by Sonnen in Mill Valley (just N of SF) on the Cayenne release day a fews yrs ago. The attendees were milling around the tent and yapping when a silver 959 pulls up. Everyonem, and I mean everyone, dropped what they were doing and walked over to the 959 that parked in the street. There was no more talk about the Cayenne!

i've sat in a beautiful polar silver 959 w/tri-colored signature seats when it was 1st released. sadly, it was in the showroom & not moving.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM