Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Sport exhaust for Cayenne Turbo

Does anybody know if Porsche will offer a retro fit sport exhaust for the Cayenne Turbo ? i bought a 2013 Turbo pepper just before the GTS came out and I have to say that the sound of the GTS makes me kind of regret the Turbo... The GTS just has a wicked sound where as the Turbo is a little too civilized (even compared to a twin turbo ML63...). I was maybe thinking of a Tubi style exhaust or an Akrapovic, anyone tried them out yet ?

thanks for the info!

--

Rich 2010 GT3 RS Grey Black/Gold 2009 Cayenne GTS Black/Black

Re: Sport exhaust for Cayenne Turbo

How many miles did you drive with your Cayenne? The sound of the exhaust of my Cayenne S improved a lot after I did some miles, now have 22k km and really like the sound.

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

Only 7000km... Let's hope that will make a difference :)

--

it does

i have 40k on mine and it keeps getting better (in small increments though)

Rich997:

Only 7000km... Let's hope that will make a difference :)

Not sure the difference will be huge, the Turbo will never sound like the Cayenne GTS or even the S with sport exhaust. I drove a Cayenne Turbo with 17k km on the speedo and it sounded OK but not really impressive, so don't expect much change. If you go for a sport exhaust, keep in mind that the warranty of the car could be affected (I know many won't agree but just take it as a bit of information which can save you a lot of money IF something happens) and that many third party sport exhaust systems may affect throttle response and power, especially in the lower torque range. My experience with sport exhaust systems for the Porsche turbo charged models, especially with V8 engines, has not been very positive. I don't know about Canadian laws regarding aftermarket exhaust systems but most legal systems over here in Germany sound horrible (they create a high pitch sound or more common, a deep growl which unfortunately is accompanied by vibrations and some sort of resonance at certain rev figures).

Just ask around (ask actual OWNERS, not manufacturers), maybe you find a decent system you like.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

I have a Cargraphic(export) exhaust (only silencer,with standard cats) on my 2012 Cay TT,and till now no problems at all,it sounds great,no vibrations,and the car seems to go as fast as before..maybe much, but maybe is only fault of the sound...heheheindecision

BTW RC sure is right with the warranty,but all depends from your dealer...

coming back on the exhaust,hen i start up the car ,if there is someone behind it,jumps away...and when i start it up,i'm sure i'm driving something special,instead before i never know what i'm driving...

If i come back i buy it again,and if i'm not wrong now there is also a version with valves to open/close the sound.

my 2 cents.

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II,2011 Cayenne Turbo

i have two "bad" videos on facebook

don't know if you can see/hear them..

First is start up in a cold morning

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200099765243180&set=vb.1421550913&type=3

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=2515186925285&set=vb.1421550913&type=3

indecision

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II,2011 Cayenne Turbo

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. Not sure what I'm going to do though... Full warranty is always good to have :)

--

Rich, I am thinking the same thing :) and I am in MTL as well.

If you find something interesting - please let me know. I am interested in Flaps and hopefully not losing the warranty ;)

where did you get yours? Porsche prest*ge?

--
    2012 Cayenne TT (on order for june 2012), 997.1 Targa 4s, 2009 Q5 3.2

Hey BlackSparrow!

Nice to see someone else from Mtl on Rennteam :)

I bought my cayenne at Lauzon and they are recommending installing secondary catbypass to replace the unneccessary second set of catalytic converters. It's supposed to improve sound and give a little more power. They were really cool because I was ready to go all out and get the complete exhaust system but they said it wasn't really worth it, Catbypass should be enough according to them. Warranty will still be 100% :)

i'm getting them installed this week and will let you know how it works out!

thanks to everybody that answered my post, it really helped and I appreciate it!

RS

https://www.fabspeed.com/958_cayenne_3.html

--

Rich997:

Hey BlackSparrow!

Nice to see someone else from Mtl on Rennteam :)

I bought my cayenne at Lauzon and they are recommending installing secondary catbypass to replace the unneccessary second set of catalytic converters. It's supposed to improve sound and give a little more power. They were really cool because I was ready to go all out and get the complete exhaust system but they said it wasn't really worth it, Catbypass should be enough according to them. Warranty will still be 100% :)

i'm getting them installed this week and will let you know how it works out!

thanks to everybody that answered my post, it really helped and I appreciate it!

RS

https://www.fabspeed.com/958_cayenne_3.html

--

Said who? Your Porsche dealer? If so, get it black on white. Since you are changing the backpressure, Porsche could always find an explenation why the engine broke down or the turbo chargers were damaged, etc....just saying. 

If your local Porsche dealer doesn't back you up on such mods, you're toast in case something happens. How can they find out? After each serious engine damage, Porsche requests an ECU readout print. This cannot be faked or changed.

So while I understand why you did what you did (the Cayenne Turbo really doesn't sound too great), you should be aware that the warranty will be affected, unless your dealer backs you on this one.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Thanks for the heads up RC.

I'm having the modifications done at the dealership and everything was recommended by their head motorsport mechanic. Not saying that Porsche would not contest BUT everything is being done by an authorized dealer...

IMO the Turbo really needs more sound... I also own a 2012 ML63 with the power pack and that engine sounds  amazing despite the fact that it's also a turbo. Too bad the ML doesn't have the looks of the Cayenne...

I will keep you posted if anything happens.

Happy Holidays :)

--

Rich997:

Thanks for the heads up RC.

I'm having the modifications done at the dealership and everything was recommended by their head motorsport mechanic. Not saying that Porsche would not contest BUT everything is being done by an authorized dealer...

IMO the Turbo really needs more sound... I also own a 2012 ML63 with the power pack and that engine sounds  amazing despite the fact that it's also a turbo. Too bad the ML doesn't have the looks of the Cayenne...

I will keep you posted if anything happens.

Happy Holidays :)

As long as the official dealer backs you up, it should be OK. It is usually the dealer who rats out customers who do mods on their cars, this is why I asked. Smiley

I get it, don't worry: The Cayenne Turbo sounds too muted. There is a certain V8 growl but thats it. I have a similar issue with my Panamera Turbo S but apparently the exhaust started to be louder and more noticeable because people turn their heads at stop lights, so they hear me. Smiley Still not as loud as I would want it to be but I guess my wife and my daughter actually appreciate the muted sound.
    I wish Porsche would offer the same exhaust sound as the Cayenne GTS (amazing sound, I am surprised that Porsche went that far) but I guess the turbo chargers kind of mute the whole thing. I'm just suprised how Mercedes does it because their bi-turbo 63 AMG models sound excellent, even if slightly muted compared to their N/A predecessors.

Have fun, the cat bypass will work exactly in the way you want it to work. Smiley

Happy Holidays to you and your family too. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC and Rich997

Is there a similar bypass available that would help 997 Turbos to a "better" sound?

TIA and Happy Holidays

Gregor

Gregor:

RC and Rich997

Is there a similar bypass available that would help 997 Turbos to a "better" sound?

TIA and Happy Holidays

Gregor

Yes, there is. However I don't know about Swiss laws but in Germany, these bypass pipes are highly illegal.

--

Wow Smiley Thanx Christian. That makes my decision, whenever I'm ready to take it, a lot easierSmiley

Good rest of the weekend to ya'll

Gregor

So I did the mods... secondary cat bypass installed. Verdict ? Sounds better from the outside at idle! much more presence with a deep civilized sound. Different story from the inside... not much difference unless under hard acceleration. No where close to a GTS. Given that the mods weren't very expensive, i'd do it over again but I can't say i'm fully satisfied. More and more I wish i had picked the GTS not only for the sound but also for the suspension. I like the look of the lowered Cayenne but I run it full time on the Turbo, it feels too stiff on the sport mode and I sometimes bottom it out when on normal setting.

So here's my advice to anyone debating between a GTS or a Turbo, if you like a GT/high speed type of drive go for the turbo but if you like a sporty car like type of drive go for the GTS and save some money while doing so. Please keep in mind that I live in Canada where speed limits are 100km/h so power becomes much less important over 400hp!!!

Merry Christmas to all :)

--

Rich997:

So here's my advice to anyone debating between a GTS or a Turbo, if you like a GT/high speed type of drive go for the turbo but if you like a sporty car like type of drive go for the GTS and save some money while doing so. Please keep in mind that I live in Canada where speed limits are 100km/h so power becomes much less important over 400hp!!!

Very good analysis. It was a tough choice for me as well but since I use the GTS mainly in the city and sometimes for shorter trips, the decision was quite easy. The superb chassis/steering setup and the amazing sound make up for the lack of power. Luckily, I still have a turbo beast in my garage if there is some sort of craving... Smiley

--

rich997 - don't understand your post, it sounds as though you have a GTS Cayenne but then you are lamenting that you didn't pick a GTS????? confused

--

2012 991 C2S -PDK / 2010 997.2 turbo cab manual, sold / 2008 Cayenne GTS Manual /2008 RS 60 sold /04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

CPA4S:

rich997 - don't understand your post, it sounds as though you have a GTS Cayenne but then you are lamenting that you didn't pick a GTS????? confused

I think he forgot to change his signature. He had a 957 GTS, now has a 958 Turbo. I think I got it right. Smiley

--

Rich997:

Rich,

most of the highways that I drive on are 70km max :)
    Turbo is amazing for the family car, they really needed to get a sports exhaust option in there with a button, I
     do not want to make a permanent mod that will pollute more... I want the ability to turn it on/off like the factory option.  Congrats on the fact that you're happy with your mod.  One day when the weather gets sunnier let's grab a beer!

--
    2012 Cayenne TT (on order for june 2012), 997.1 Targa 4s, 2009 Q5 3.2

Thanks RC, you have it right and i just updated my signature ;)

@BlackSparrow, just say when!

--

Here we go, up to date signature!

--

Rich
    2013 Cayenne Turbo Black/Black
    2012 Mercedes ML63 Black/Black

fixed the sig as well, PM'ed you about beer

--

2012 Cayenne TT, 2014 Panamera TT facelift on order :)

Hello all :) 

I own Cayenne S 958 and i have Stock Exchaust  and from the sides come out only one pipe right and left sides

i was wondering  if i open the second hole on the back exchaust like GTS and Turbo,

Should i get the better Sound  ?

Please check the attached photos Exchaust.JPGex2.JPGex3.JPG

i doubt...

but if you whant ,i have a 958 Turbo cargraphic exhaust(like new) for sale...smiley

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

Prices :)

Check email...and  back in topic

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690423 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409712 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255936 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235237 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65641 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858373 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774634 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM