Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: My MP4-12C (warning: picture heavy)

Whoopsy:

Thanks guys, glad to share.

I have been on this board for 6 yrs and counting, I am member of numerous other boards but the only board that I regularly post is this one. I enjoy you guys the most. There are numerous members here that I envy, that somehow some day I wish I could be them, Mike S comes to mind as he buys cars like I go grocery shopping, ISUK the Ferrari connoisseur, RC the Overlord who started it all, intouch who has move on to even more expensive toys like yachts  :) and numerous others. I am just thankful that I am lucky and successful enough to be able to afford what I have and that I can share like others.

There are dramas on even board, but it seems here is where people are most mature and respectful and it is one of the reasons why I can't keep myself off here. Over the years I did have numerous 'confrontations' with members here, Markus on HvS, Eunice on Global warming, Carlos on Android and Alonso, Nick with his alternate view of Porsche and politics, etc, but each time the 'conflict' is nothing more than an exercise in intellectual applications, there was never any disrespect among us, unlike other boards' conflicts. 

There are many friends I made here, we may not have met in person but I do believe the friendship is not fake, some day somehow we might met in person and I think the friendship can continue in real life if it ever happens.

I envy all you European members who has access to the Autobahn, the ultimate highway, but on the same token I do not envy the tax you guys have to pay, which actually made me respect you guys more as it cost a lot more for you guys to buy the same cars.

There are members here who are not as well off, who may not own a title car for this community, ie Porsche or other 'dream cars', but that makes no difference to me, you guys are part of the 'family' and I still remember the days when I was one of those who dream of owning something special. To you guys I wish you all the best on your future and hope whatever you dream of can be fulfilled. 

It's a bit late for thanksgiving speeches and too early for Christmas but buying the McLaren and driving it and receiving  compliments and questions on the street gave me an epiphany today. I am thankful that I have the means to afford what I have, but I am even more thankful to have a wife who tolerate what 'toys' I buy. To have a community that i can share my joy is icing on the cake. 

The fact that you view things this way tell a lot about you and only raise higher the opinion many of us have about you here. Thanks so much for sharing this experience with your new car with us and lteeting us enjoy a bit of it too. And for the record just as you want to get to Mikes level, I wouldn't complain one bit if I got to yours, you are in a very privileged possition and someday I hope to have a garage as good as yours man. 

But onto the new baby ! the car has all the right options and a perfect color combination, If I were to configure one the only thing id do differently is the carbon side blades. but other than that, you thought the same way I did with this. By that logic Onur probably likes it too Smiley

Keep the pictures coming !! 

ISUK:

Nice car in a colour combo that really suits it, congrats. You're wrong about the Ferrari yellow badges though. The only yellow badge that also carries the Ferrari script is on the nose. The wheel centres and horn push have the cavallino only and, if ordered, the Scuderia shields on the front wings bear the script "SF" for Scuderia Ferrari. Other than that there is one small Ferrari script on the centre console in the interior, on the kickplates as you open the door and one on the rear deck lid.

Ohh, don't forget to mention "Ferrari" script on the brake calipers, Iain SmileySmiley

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

@Nick, EUROPEAN unions smiley  which I have no beef with as they have their companies' best interests in mind first, they realize if they squeeze dry their employers they would no longer have job. :)

Actually come to think of it, I don't think there is a union for the McLaren workers, they are too small to be unionized.

@Ferdie: I believe those McLaren boys are more German than we realize, they designed and build the car as a engineer/racer would, and tune it as such initially. Which works great if someone wants to put in the fastest time possible and have it corner on rails. These attributes doesn't mesh well with the 'hooligan' nature of some of the press community. To have an exciting car show or press photos, the car needs to be sliding sideway around a corner, looks great and plenty of fun, but in racer's term it is the slower way around a corner and hence I think this is why the initial tuning won't allow the slides. They probably think why would someone wants to go around a corner slower? But full marks for McLaren to switch course and allow it to happen.

The feeling I get from driving the McLaren is very clinical, no nonsense, and it gets the job done. Really feels more German than the Porsche as Porsche has been moving towards the passion side more and more. To someone the clinical approach would be called boring, But not to me, as a IT geek and someone who once studied to be an accountant, I very much appreciate the clinical and technical approach.

I believe Ferrari has a different philosophy, they are not as single-minded, they will make their car very very fast yet they also realize not all people wants to go around a corner as fast as possible, they leave that option open for people to choose.

pride355:

Ohh, don't forget to mention "Ferrari" script on the brake calipers, Iain SmileySmiley

Not just him, I forgot the same thing on the McLaren too. haha

Nice shots and camera as well Smiley

Wow Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page. Beautiful, congrats Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

jesse:

Nice shots and camera as well Smiley

You are one detailed detective. :)

Fantastic detailed pictures of your new beauty - many congrats on the spec, it is stunning!! But how did you manage a dry day in Vancouver the last couple of days haha. I can't believe the sun visor goes he wrong way, you should mention this, from your pic it smells like recall to me actually.

Beautiful combo. love it!

can only imagine how boring is it sitting in a Porsche compared to the MP4.

kiss

--

BMW 1 M + C63. 

Wow - great pics Whoopsy and many congrats on your new baby.  Enjoy for a good long while... (meaning, when I come out to Vancouver in January for some meetings I better not see this in the London Motorcars showroom blush )

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Beautifull pics . Thanks . I Love the C12 !  And it is such a chance for us to read comments coming from a ' real person' in real life situations . It makes it so much more worthwhile .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Atzporsche:

Fantastic detailed pictures of your new beauty - many congrats on the spec, it is stunning!! But how did you manage a dry day in Vancouver the last couple of days haha. I can't believe the sun visor goes he wrong way, you should mention this, from your pic it smells like recall to me actually.

This is the official answer straight from Mclaren's Batman, Wayne Bruce:

"I checked with the product team and, because of the steep angle of the windscreen, a conventional opening would place the visor too far rearwards - impacting ergonomics and headroom."

I wrote him an email yesterday asking this and for tour of the factory, the tour part will have to be organized by my retailer.

very interesting, thanks for the update. I still think the hinge is the wrong way, it should fold out onto the windshield and I would imagine its angle wouldn't make a difference right. Anyways, you will probably have to wait till late March to test it with the weather in Vancouver as it is... btw, i'm down Granville all the time. I live in English Bay, so i will keep an eye out for your beauty!

After driving the 12C for the last 2 days, I jumped back in the Porsche today and boy I have to say, Porsche really made a perfect car.

It does feel a bit 'boring' now compared with the 12C, and the suspension is not as compliant as the 12C, the exhaust doesn't sound as nice, but it's stress-free driving, and no need to watch for speed bumps. Maybe it's because I have been living with practically the same car for 6 years now, but the easy of which i can place the car is unreal, I know where each corner of the car is at all times, effortless power is still there and with pouring rain today traction is never an issue.

However, the excitement factor is not there anymore for the Porsche. When I got home and open the garage door and seeing the 12C, I keep trying to find an excuse to go out again and drive the 12C.

Great pics and right up. Thanks for sharing.

Two things I noticed; a lot more tiny carbon trim pieces than I would have expected (Steering wheel spokes, radiator inlet side blades, etc.)

The second, not only are the pedals relatively narrow - they also look as if they have little to no traction surface. I don't see any knurling, turning, or scuffing on the aluminum.

lovely machine....congrats !

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Heist:

Great pics and right up. Thanks for sharing.

Two things I noticed; a lot more tiny carbon trim pieces than I would have expected (Steering wheel spokes, radiator inlet side blades, etc.)

The second, not only are the pedals relatively narrow - they also look as if they have little to no traction surface. I don't see any knurling, turning, or scuffing on the aluminum.

The interior carbon bits is just one big package, the wheel bits, the center console pieces all are aluminum in standard trim. The side blades is an option, the mirrors another, the front lip, the rear diffuser, the side sills are all options. I like it better as it breaks up the monochrome white look on the outside.

It can't be seem on photos, but the pedals in fact has a sand blasted surface, surprisingly grippy, it was raining the last few days and when I jump in the car from the rain there was no traction issues.

One side benefit of the gull wing doors, the outside dirty sills lifted with the door, and exposing the clean inside sills, no more dirty trousers from car sills when enter and exiting the car. Another little thing that benefits end user.

Whoopsy:
    Atzporsche:

"I checked with the product team and, because of the steep angle of the windscreen, a conventional opening would place the visor too far rearwards - impacting ergonomics and headroom."

The "wrongly hinged" sun visor is not a McLaren first.

I was loaned an Audi TT Roadster yesterday which has the same arrangement.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    Whoopsy:
    Atzporsche:

The "wrongly hinged" sun visor is not a McLaren first.

I was loaned an Audi TT Roadster yesterday which has the same arrangement.

On my R8 sunvisors move the same way, and i equally don't like it!

Never get used to it.

Minor problem though.

--

965 3.3turbo/  993 targa / 996 cab /997S cab

Audi R8  //  Audi A5 S-line 3.0tdi Quattro/ RR 4.4i

Well I got used to it already. I just pretend this car is so light weight that it doesn't have a visor and I use my Oakley instead.

Nice car. Right now this is a heck of a lot of car for the money if you buy used. I've been thinking about it more and more, but they are still getting crushed in depreciation right now in the US. Lots of 2012 cars like 50K+ off MSRP with barely any usage. Come 2014/15, I will no doubt be weighing one of these (or a Spyder) vs the next-gen R8.

Necro-ing my own thread as I found some gem hidden in the world wide web.

Some may have watched it already, but here is a 3 part series by McLaren Managing DIrector Antony Sheriff describing the designs of the MP4-12C

http://www.evo.co.uk/videos/planetevovideos/242317/video_203152/mclaren_mp412c.html

After watching it, I am CONVINCED McLaren is run purely by engineering geeks. Everything is form follow function, more so than Porsche. Maybe I am blowing McLaren's horn as a owner but I seriously respect how they come up with the stuff that's on the car, 

What must be really enjoyable would be watching those videos and then go out to the garage and walking around your car and really enjoying all those little details and purposeful design. You're a lucky man Whoopsy. 

The lucky man is Futch, he gets to look and touch a real F1, I can only touch my computer screen...............

Whoopsy:

Necro-ing my own thread as I found some gem hidden in the world wide web.

Some may have watched it already, but here is a 3 part series by McLaren Managing DIrector Antony Sheriff describing the designs of the MP4-12C

http://www.evo.co.uk/videos/planetevovideos/242317/video_203152/mclaren_mp412c.html

After watching it, I am CONVINCED McLaren is run purely by engineering geeks. Everything is form follow function, more so than Porsche. Maybe I am blowing McLaren's horn as a owner but I seriously respect how they come up with the stuff that's on the car, 

That's great stuff! It is such an amazing machine, really does come over as form follows function and it's fast yet somewhat understated in design. Just a very pure car, my favorite right now until the 918 arrives, not that you should really compare the two. McLaren is working on their halo car too although I really hate the design of that one.

Whoopsy:

The lucky man is Futch, he gets to look and touch a real F1, I can only touch my computer screen...............

C'mon, Futch is very, very lucky, you're at least a bit lucky. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Whoopsy:

Come on, the garage is half full, not half empty... or how was that saying...? Smiley

Futch has no(t enough) garage(s)! Yet... angry

The content of yours is great Whoopsy!

Glad the thread was brought back up, I missed it, although to be fair I only pop in here every so often...
    I'm pleased to see it's not just me thats made the move, I considered the 458 for a fair while but the 12C won it for me.. very much like the OP the driving and handling of the car is sublime but I do miss the amazing traction the Turbo offered.. I'd had the TT for 6 years and trusted it with my life, this is a new learning curve that I'm very much enjoying at the moment. (until the snow stopped play)
    Car goes in for it's upgrades at the end of the month- which doesn't include the sun visor.. I asked the same question and got the very same response yes

I've ot made an Autobahn yet (June for that) but had a super run to France where I got to really connect with the car..
    Very much looking forward to my run to Monaco at the end of May, I hope the colour will suit the coast line

Back nearer home...

During my visit to the factory...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803258 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448585 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266144 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90081 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6610 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885737 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833325 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM