Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

F Type... or.....???

Decisions, decisions....

Had a letter of intent in on the 'F-type' for almost 13 years!!! (yep, really) and had been offered an early car last year when they showed the concept at Frankfurt .. so (refundable) deposit in, spec ready.... hoping for early summer delivery...

But, given the price point that has now been announced (higher than anticipated) and rumours of further delays I thought I'd see what else was around.... popped into Porsche (as you do ;) ) and they a fantastic stock 911 Turbo S Cab (30% of list - aggressive, but realistic, finance package)

Going over again this morning for a demo of their coupe Turbo PDK (cab is an unregistered showroom car)

As I said... decisions, decisions....

Almost wondering if at that price point I could run the car until the F Type comes out, and if I prefer the F Type swap it in for minimal loss (put it this way, 12 month old Turbo S Cabs on the Porsche site for more than I've been offered this car at)

Oh, and planning on keeping the spyder.. this, or the F Type, would be my daily driver (tough time huh? ;) )

Re: F Type... or.....???

Don't get fooled about the resale value of the Turbo S . You might see some advertised at high prices, but they probably do not find any buyer and sit in the sales room for many, many month.

To be realistic about the price you would get for a Turbo S , 2nd hand, , look at the price of the cheapest Turbo S you can find . 

Bare also in mind that the 991 Turbo will  come out next year, making the hit on the 997 even bigger.

So, if you are willing to take that hit, then you plan looks very nice 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

@Gnil

Oh yes, know I'll have a hit - and whatever it is it'll be considerable giving the starting price even with the discount - just trying to see if its worth it to me :)

Why do you want the F type? Pass it by and wait for the 991 Turbo that will carry you for a long period.

However, if you have really decided on the F (for your personal reasons) why invest money on  what will soon be an old model Turbo S that will be out of date and further heavily depreciated  in a few months?  Such a  stop-gap solution will be too expensive, I think.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Such a  stop-gap solution will be too expensive, I think.

I agree. Okay if you was planning to keep the turbo for a good while and if you have money to burn.

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

So you've now got the Rennteam Itch - not at you ever lost it I guess.....Smiley

Unless you are planning some serious European tours I wouldn't  have a turbo S, or even a turbo -  here in the UK you would be no better off 99 % of the time than if you had a stock 911. I find it frustrating even with our humble 997/2 S how limited you are here to use anything near its potential. A week in Germany over the summer and a couple of high speed blasts down the Autobahn made me realise what 911 motoring is all about! Smiley You don't even get the surround sound sports exhaust with the turbo....Smiley My friend's 997 turbo sounds no more exciting than a domestic appliance. Smiley

As others have said here with the new 991 turbo range just around the corner the 997 turbo will simply fall off a cliff money wise, and of course it's "old tech" now.

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

I'd skip the 997 Turbo S and just wait until the F . Then when the 991 Turbo comes out you can decide to keep the F or switch for that.

FWIW - it'll probably take 6 months for F-type residuals to become a serious issue in the UK. The XK range looks to be a bargain on the used market - IF you assume it's worth the RRP. I personally think Jaguar will delay launch not because of technical issues - but market conditions. I also think they've priced it incorrectly in the first place. As an alternative to a Boxster - given it's two seat configuration, it makes more sense.

And if your choice is a Jaguar f-type or Aston V8? (probably similar running costs).......

--

C2S - Basalt/Black XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

Aston Martin are for sale again for the umpteenth time.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/aston-martin-sale-could-be-imminent

I would never want to deal with a financially unsuccessful company, especially with regard to to a high value product.

Even traditional customer James Bond turned them down, recently.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

I would never want to deal with a financially unsuccessful company, especially with regard to to a high value product.

Um, Reginos, you do know that James Bond is a fictional character, right?  Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    reginos:

Um, Reginos, you do know that James Bond is a fictional character, right?  Smiley

Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

--

"Form follows function"

It could end up in italian hands Smiley     One of the bidders is  Investindustrial which is an italian private equity firm (former majority shareholder of Ducati). Sorry for the off topic.

--

911 Club Coupe, 72' 911 Targa 2.4 S, 12' Audi S4 Avant

Well it was an easy choice having now driven the Turbo - don't get me wrong, an amazing car but didn't do it for me - no fizz on UK roads at legal(ish) UK speeds - in some ways my Octavia VRS (diesel!!) is more enjoyable - difficult to quantify, but just that it's trying more on the twisites - i know, i know, what am i saying..

The F-type was (is) a dream from 12 years ago, but now that I've driven and owned some fantastic cars I'm wondering if I'm clinging onto that rather than looking for the right car for me... oh well, an excuse to drive some more exotic metal to make the decision....

Rich C (UK):

Well it was an easy choice having now driven the Turbo - don't get me wrong, an amazing car but didn't do it for me - no fizz on UK roads at legal(ish) UK speeds 

Don't like to say that I told you that.......Smiley

must get together again sometime - long time, no see Smiley

--

Jaguar F-type driven on road and track...

Jaguar F-type driven on road and track -- Autocar link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Jaguar F-type vs Porsche 911 Cabriolet...

"Tiff Needell takes the latest F-type V6S around the Bedford Autodrome, to see how it compares to the Porsche 911 Cabriolet..."

Jaguar F-type vs Porsche 911 Cabriolet -- Evo video link

Smiley SmileySmiley

The steering has less feel than the Porsche.  Blimey!

--

Gen II Cayman S

I am not going to watch another review of Jaguar/RR by a british car co.  They are in the tank for the brands.

--

2012 Cayenne TT, looking for a nice 4-seater sports car to answer my call :)

Well I've got a drive on Tuesday so I'll let you know what a 'real person' thinks.

Dealer does seem to have cocked up my order though... over the 18 months they've had my deposit both sales guys i had been dealing with have been sacked... and my position in the queue got overlooked - only came up today as i was in the dealers to cancel my RR (aged, arthritic mother couldn't get in the back).

Got chatting to the dealer principle as i was surprised to actually see an f-type in the showroom and mentioned i hadn't heard anything yet about final spec for my car  - esp as i have the second group car promised to me, and showed him the emails I had when paying the deposit confirming it. Strange look came over his face, and quick look at the paperwork out the back and a promise he'd get back to me tomorrow... so watch this space, for both the review and the outcome of the saga....

GR:

The steering has less feel than the Porsche.  Blimey!

And the Jag has hydraulic rack too...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

I had high hopes for the F type, but it seems like its very heavy for what it is. Seems like not much innovation except for finding and using the worlds heaviest type of aluminum.

The plastic gear change paddles on a car of this price makes you really wonder... where else did they go for a cheapo solution?

Jaguar F-type V6 S vs Porsche 911 Cabriolet...

Jaguar F-type V6 S vs Porsche 911 Cabriolet -- Autocar video link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Interesting test in Evo today-Base C2 Cabrio no chassis options and Boxster S (both manual not PDK) are quicker around Bedford than F-Type V6S and V8. Not to mention Aston V8 Vantage Cabrio. I do like the V8 F-Type but at that price and about 450kg heavier than my 981S I would really have to think hard. 

BTW now I'm on the summer tyres my manual 981S is proving to be a really great car. I miss the cachet of my 911's and the fact I don't own one in the 50th year kind of grates but as a drivers car I'm not sure there is much better in the Porsche range you can buy right now for an involving and exciting drive on your favourite road.

My wife loves the F-type (especially in red) but when she saw the price tag... 

In Germany, the V8 S costs 99900 EUR (incl. 19% VAT) and with a couple of options the price tag is closer to 120k EUR. A bit too much for my taste.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

F type is way over priced for a car with no lineage .. it can't really be compared to a 911 or Boxster, cars which have been around for a long while.

F type is a whole new type of sports car for Jaguar, and Jaguar is pricing it as if F type has the 911's or Boxster's decades of proven ability

Yes, Jaguar really had a shot at offering a new product at a highly attractive price tag to attract new customers.

For 70k EUR, the V8 S would have been interesting, for 100k EUR not so much.

I also think that the 340hp version would have been competitive at 50k EUR but at 74k EUR?

On the other hand, our local Jaguar dealer sells other Jaguar models, slightly used and/or loaners, at highly reduced prices, incl. some very interesting lease offers, so maybe the high price tag is just for bragging but the "real" prices will be much lower. Still...I think the V8 S is too expensive.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

in the UK, the XK 5.0 Portfolio convertible, with a list price of £77,000 can be had with a £21,000 discount for a factory order car.

it is of course a model near the end of its life ..

I still don't get how Jaguar believe the 911 or Boxster to be a direct competitor? Perhaps a Z4 or Nissan 370 plastic (or whatever they're called these days) but Porsche?

The e-type was successful because it was essentially cheap. Aside from that, I still don't see the attraction all these years on. So if they're trying to evoke that heritage they're really barking (or meowing) up the wrong tree IMO.

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

I view the F type as a Mercedes SL competitor, for the fans of the British automotive heritage i.e. for people who are fed up with German supremacy in cars. Moreover, I perceive it as a wife's car for the affluent not a real driver's car.

People who criticize the 911 have never owned one and hence haven't been deeply involved with the car. It might not be everybody's cup of tea for reasons of prejudice, but it is THE sportscar. Think of how many "911 killers" have been nominated by car magazines over the years and how many of those are still around today.

--

"Form follows function"

Autocar have just published a comparison test between the F Type 3.0, Boxster 981S  and base 991 cabrio.

In summary their preference was 1: Boxster, 2 : 991 3 : F Type.

The main reason why the 991 didn't win was the huge price differential between it and the Boxster for comparatively small real world performance gap. The F Type came last as it was considered not such an all round polished package as either Porsche and again the price compared with the Boxster.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688998 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408922 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255623 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234882 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65461 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4640 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857746 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773706 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM