Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: F Type... or.....???

When I went to the Silverstone track day with Porsche me and my partner when to the Porsche centre in Silverstone. They seemed pretty nice but all I did was test drive the new Cayman. When to Ipswich yesterday and like I say sent to look at the f type and the salesmen just seemed nicer the manager came out shook our hands and said that's for looking. That's more then I've had from porsche and we own one. So does my father and my mother was half thinking of changing her 6 series for a cayenne. If I had a bit more money maybe the maserati. They are a bit beautiful

James - looking forward to your review of the Jag. Will it be a Boxster beater?........

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

After chatting to a mate, I came to thinking that instead of getting an F-Type, wouldn't one rather get an Eagle Speedster..?

http://www.jaguarspeedster.com/

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

What's the price compared to F-Type?

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Speedster is about the price of a Singer isn't it?

Yep, and I would go for the Singer...... after a new GT3 or Turbo is already parked in the garage.

I had my first look at the new F Type at the Goodwood Festival of Speed, and I had high hopes that I would be impressed. I wasn't. The very low driving position made the car feel big and cumbersome compared to the Boxster, the cockpit is no way near s nicely put together or thought out and the biggest killer for me is that there is only the tiny rear boot. You could never use this car for touring, no where to put any luggage, whereas the Boxster has the two luggage compartments. Very thirsty compared to the Boxster as well, at least according to the oficial figures.

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

I wouldn't dream of putting it ahead of the Singer - the question was very squarely posed against the F-Type.  I don't know the prices, but although it's beautiful it somehow doesn't strike me as being (or deserving to be) in the price category of a Singer.  Perhaps I'm wrong.

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

I had a brief look at the new F-type 2 week ago as well. What a beautiful car, didn't have time to go for a test drive - but it sure is striking. I look forward to getting behind the wheel though.

Budster, is the Eagle Speedster not 500k BP price tag if my memory serves correct? The V8 F-type is 1.4M (95k BP) in SA local currency? Two totally different leagues IMO.

The American Road & Track magazine has rated the Boxster S as the superior car, compared to the the F Type S (V6 supercharged, 380HP).

If this type of car cannot convince in the USA, I wonder where else it could score as Porsche rival.

--

"Form follows function"

The only version that would appeal to me is the hot rod V8.....Smiley

--

dreamcar:

The only version that would appeal to me is the hot rod V8.....Smiley

Yes. Smiley Still thinking of getting a used one as soon as they are affordable, the V8 S could be interesting if it goes under 70k EUR (slightly used of course). I'm not having the impression that Germans are crazy about the new F-type, so maybe I have a chance here. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I am under the impression that the V8S is over engined and a handful in anything other than ideal conditions.

Besides, the additional weight (30kg) over the front axle will not be any good for steering response and rapid direction changes, these essential attributes for sports driving.

Many people on rennteam focus on the sound but there other important things to consider when choosing car. 

I don't want to sound like a fanboy but for sports driving nothing beats Porsche. Unless, someone has the funds to  stretch to the exotics.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

I am under the impression that the V8S is over engined and a handful in anything other than ideal conditions.

Besides, the additional weight (30kg) over the front axle will not be any good for steering response and rapid direction changes, these essential attributes for sports driving.

Many people on rennteam focus on the sound but there other important things to consider when choosing car. 

I don't want to sound like a fanboy but for sports driving nothing beats Porsche. Unless, someone has the funds to  stretch to the exotics.

I agree but the F-type V8S kind of reminds me of a US muscle car and I'd rather pay 70k EUR for a slightly used F-type than the same amount of money for a new Camaro ZL1 Cab or Ford GT 500 Shelby Cab.

We still have a Boxster on our mind, maybe even a slightly used 991 Carrera Cab but this year is over for us (summer is gone in September and we don't have much time right now), so the decision will be taken next year in spring or so.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

reginos:

I used to think this but with the latest generation I don't find them involving enough.  If you don't need to travel distances, the lightweights (Lotus, Caterham, etc.) trounce Porsche for sports driving. 

--

Gen II Cayman S

GR:
    reginos:

I used to think this but with the latest generation I don't find them involving enough.  If you don't need to travel distances, the lightweights (Lotus, Caterham, etc.) trounce Porsche for sports driving. 

It depends how you order them (sport suspension, sport chromo, etc.) and of course the new 991, 981 and so on offer more comfort than the previous generation. Lotus or Caterham? Nice toys for having some fun but nothing more (I just hope I didn't open a can of worms again by saying this Smiley). Involving can be defined in two ways: Meaning that you are fast as hell or meaning that you actually get afraid of driving at the limit. Smiley I prefer the first one, others prefer the second one but in the end, I enjoy the whole package (being fast AND having fun), while others may enjoy the ride only. Smiley

The F-type V8S would of course be a fun car only, nothing serious but a Lotus or a Caterham are just not enough for me, they actually look quite ridiculous in the hands of a 48 year old guy like me. I leave these cars to the younger generation. Smiley

--

GR:
    reginos:

The cars you mention have their merits, but are too one dimensional for me, and also for a large number of people judging by their sales figures.

Porsche offer a variety of models and options both for the comfort oriented and the keen driver. You could order the -20mm chassis for example, or go for the GT3, the upcoming GT3 RS etc. If anything Porsche are accused of offering too many versions of the 911 models. We should also not forget what enjoyable sports cars the Boxster and the Cayman are. Not the ultimate in speed but fast enough, affordable and a pleasure to drive. I cannot think of any other manufacturer offering this type of products at relatively affordable prices.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Porsche offer a variety of models and options both for the comfort oriented and the keen driver. You could order the -20mm chassis for example, or go for the GT3, the upcoming GT3 RS etc. If anything Porsche are accused of offering too many versions of the 911 models. We should also not forget what enjoyable sports cars the Boxster and the Cayman are. Not the ultimate in speed but fast enough, affordable and a pleasure to drive. I cannot think of any other manufacturer offering this type of products at relatively affordable prices.

I just can't agree with that where the 981 is concerned, nor the current 991s.  On the type of UK roads near me where traffic is light, they don't feel agile enough and the steering feedback is too remote for my taste.  Much too GT like and the myriad of chassis options do not solve these fundamental problems.   The GT3 and Turbo might change things.  But I agree with your last sentence - there is not a single car for sale that I want at the moment (very strange I can tell you).

--

Gen II Cayman S

The V8S is the only F Type that offers anything over and above the Porsche range it competes with - it is much more expensive than the Boxster so the power and sound of a big V8 is the Jaguar's only  defence against a 991.

Jaguar have pitched the car too high price wise IMO.

--

RC:
    Lotus or Caterham? Nice toys for having some fun but nothing more (I just hope I didn't open a can of worms again by saying this Smiley).

Ha Ha - For two and a half years I had an Elise as my only car.  It was a daily driver for commuting, shopping, holidays, etc. and it was fabulous.  Apart from the roof leaking and back ache after an hour in it.  They were the only things I grew tired of.  I replaced it with a 986 Boxster S, which from an objective pint of view was a superior car in almost every way.  And whilst it wasn't as lovely to drive, it was a better ownership proposition.  Then the 987 came along and was less involving again but even better handling.  It took me a long time to decide that the comparative lack of steering feel and bigger dimensions were a compromise worth taking.  But the 981 has tipped too far over.

--

Gen II Cayman S

GR:

Ha Ha - For two and a half years I had an Elise as my only car.  It was a daily driver for commuting, shopping, holidays, etc. and it was fabulous. 

A friend of mine did the same. It was just getting a bit tricky with those Cup tires in the rain. Smiley

There was an interesting comparison test in AMS today, comparing the F-type to the TT-RS, Z4 35is and Boxster S. They named the same issues that were mentioned on this thread, the car is very big and more than 300 kg heavier than the Boxster. The noise level from the exhaust seems to be quite a bit on the loud side as well, even with closed exhaust flaps.

dreamcar:

The V8S is the only F Type that offers anything over and above the Porsche range it competes with - it is much more expensive than the Boxster so the power and sound of a big V8 is the Jaguar's only  defence against a 991.

Jaguar have pitched the car too high price wise IMO.

Exactly.

Jaguar seems to have two issues with the new F-type:

1. Too expensive for what it offers (and a two seater). Maybe they should have priced it more competitively and then they could have adjusted the price tag after the car starts selling well.

2. It doesn't seem to appeal to the "typical" Jaguar buyer, which means that the F-type requires attracting new customers from other brands but like point 1 indicates, the car is just too expensive for an "experiment" (trying a new car).

My local dealer sells his used F-type for 108k EUR, new price tag is over 120k EUR. I've already seen used F-type under 100k EUR. Right now, we have summer (and a pretty nice one over here for quite a while) and the prices are still high. I would wait until winter time, I am pretty sure that used F-type prices will drop like foul apples. Me and my wife want a nice cab/roadster for next spring/summer (for us, this year is "gone"...way too much work, not worth it buying a cab/roadster now) and I think winter time is just the right time to get one, when dealers are desperate to make a cab/roadster sale. Smiley

Right now, we have four cars on our list:

1. 991 Carrera S Cab (prices already dropped below 100k EUR, should drop further)

2. 981 Boxster S (actually already found one, perfect options...all the sporty stuff, low mileage, for 66k)

3. F-type V8S (too expensive right now)

4. Mercedes SLK 55 AMG (no kidding, not a beauty, not the sportiest roadster out there but sounds amazing and prices are already below 60k EUR)

--

Get the Boxster S. The rear seats of the 911 cabrio are redundant anyway. And a 911 cabrio is not a real 911, so a Boxster is good enough.

The Jaguar? Just for the change, like you experimented with that C class coupe. You will end up disappointed after the novelty wears off and the weaknesses become profound. I wonder how much fuel this car will be using?

The SLK? No one above 30 or about,  would consider that car, AMG engine or not.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Get the Boxster S. The rear seats of the 911 cabrio are redundant anyway. And a 911 cabrio is not a real 911, so a Boxster is good enough.

The Jaguar? Just for the change, like you experimented with that C class coupe. You will end up disappointed after the novelty wears off and the weaknesses become profound. I wonder how much fuel this car will be using?

Right now we are very inclined towards the Boxster S because it seems to be the best package for a fun car (and this is going to be just a car for nice weather and some open air fun). Also from a price/performance ratio point of view, the Boxster S seems to be quite OK, especially compared to the 991 Carrera S Cab (which will be always 30k EUR more expensive than the Boxster and we plan to buy this fun car as a keeper).

--

RC:
    reginos:

Right now we are very inclined towards the Boxster S because it seems to be the best package for a fun car (and this is going to be just a car for nice weather and some open air fun). Also from a price/performance ratio point of view, the Boxster S seems to be quite OK, especially compared to the 991 Carrera S Cab (which will be always 30k EUR more expensive than the Boxster and we plan to buy this fun car as a keeper).

I concur Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

RC:

Right now we are very inclined towards the Boxster S ....and we plan to buy this fun car as a keeper.

Excellent plan Smiley You can't go wrong with the 981S. We are very happy with ours. The only complaint from Mrs. P-J using the Boxster as her daily driver is that the car is too sporty for her daily driving routine - meaning it likes to get pushed beyond what traffic laws suggest Smiley As for the F-Type: spotted the first one in the flesh last week in the UK. Not a bad looking car (I could watch only from a distance) reminding a bit of Pininfarina styled Italian metal, though it looked huge while parked next to a 987 Cayman.

--

public roads: Porsche 981S white/black/red, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Yes, the F-type IS a huge looking car and this is one of the concerns we have. However, the V8S engine sound is amazingly good (I really don't think it is too loud) but even 100k EUR is a bit too much for this car. 60 or 70k maybe.

--

Saw a burnt orange one at the mall. It looked good however the cabin looks small for a car that kind of looks big. Also I didn't realize it was a 2 seater and a cloth top, for a new model in 2013, that's ridiculous.

F type IS huge, not just huge looking

The F Type has two really good things going for it. Its 8spd automatic is geared really well and throttle sensitivity is very good. I think you might find it more engaging to drive than some of other cars mentioned.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776121 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441107 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262451 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260627 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84993 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5450 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880133 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815164 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM