Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Virtuallu undisguised 981 Cayman Thread Closed

981S with PDLS does not have front fog lights .. Xenons change to different pattern when rear fog lights switched on

bluelines:
    dxpetrov:

I don't believe the ''fog-lights''would be round. First of all, those are not fog-lights but DRLs, and I've never seen circular DRLs.

Sorry, meant DRL. There is a spy pic floating around where you can see the round light behind rough plastic camo. I'll try to find it. This in conjunction with the Atlanta photos where the poster claimed the front is not real does sound like we will see round lights. Time will tell Smiley Not that I care much if the DRL are round or horizontal, but I am happy to bet they will not look like the horizontal 981 Boxster lights Smiley

^

This doesn't mean anything. They could've easily put just round mock-ups below to stir us off the real shape and to fool us there was no difference to the current Cayman look.

The same thing they are currently doing for 991 Turbo mules, where they stick rounded fogs as same as 997 Turbo got. But I am sure there will be no such things as rounded DRLs.

Well, somehow they have to differentiate it from the Boxster... My bet is on round. If not, beers on me.

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S in Carrara White with black leather interior. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

Audi S5 cabrio in Ibis White with black leather interior.

GRAND-AM: "Luna-C, BGB To Field Porsche Cayman 3.8 In Rolex 24"

(19 November 2012)

Luna-C Clothing of Johns Creek, Ga. and BGB Motorsports of Ormond Beach, Fla. officially announced today their intention to run the 2013 Rolex 24 At Daytona in a purpose-built Porsche Cayman GX.R.

BGB has constructed and is entering the Cayman in the all new GX class.  Earlier this year, GRAND-AM announced the new class in the Rolex Series which provides an opportunity for technology-forward vehicles to compete alongside the traditional GT and Daytona Prototype classes.

BGB had previously run a Cayman in GRAND-AM Competition, but although the seemingly underpowered 3.4 liter Porsche Cayman S proved to be reliable, it didn’t compete well against larger powered V8 muscle from Chevy, Ford and BMW.  So to confront the challenge in GX, the Luna-C liveried BGB Cayman GX.R will use a Porsche 3.8 liter X51 911 Carrera GTS engine and will undergo a substantial diet to lose 500 pounds—weighing in at a mere 2500 lbs.

Fans of the mid-engine Porsche Cayman will be able to cheer on their favorite car in an historic effort with its first appearance in one of the most grueling and prestigious endurance races in the world.

“When GX was announced, we thought about the Cayman immediately,” said John Tecce, Team Manager of BGB. “Someone finally created a home for the Cayman to race with an engine that every Porsche fan on this continent wishes it received from the factory.  We’re taking the trusty Direct Fuel Injection 911 engine that gave us such success this year in winning the championship and drop it in the Cayman like we have done for half a dozen customers across the U.S.  People love this car and we have faith that it’s up to the task of running 24 hours.  It’s the Luna-C Cayman that could!

“We’re excited about our driver lineup too, with veteran Eric Foss, who ran strong in GT last year; Ron Yarab, who will be making his 6th appearance in the Rolex 24; and then there’s Lee and Ryan who probably have more experience driving Caymans than anyone, as they’ve won races all over the country competing in the Napleton Cayman Interseries.”

The veteran, Ryan Eversley will be leading the team into its first Rolex 24.

“When John Tecce and I spoke about Daytona we both agreed we should put something together and go run for a watch!  I’m proud of our program we’ve created and being able to drive with my friends makes it even sweeter!”

“It’s a perfect fit for us” added Lee Davis, CEO of Luna-C. “Luna-C Clothing is automobile influenced, technology infused and racing inspired.  GRAND-AM’s creation of the GX class provides a great opportunity to showcase our technology-forward clothing.  Equally exciting is the opportunity to race a Cayman in the Rolex Series and I can’t think of a better team to be associated with than the 2012 GS Champs, BGB.

Ryan and I have been working together for years and it wouldn’t be right to do the 24 without him!  Eric has coached me in the past as well and I’m thrilled that he was available to drive with us.  With my friends Ron Yarab, a veteran of the Rolex 24, and John Tecce, a great driver and team manager, I’m really looking forward to the race and think we have a good chance if we can stay out of trouble.”

Ron Yarab joins the team having driven with Ryan and the Racing4Research squad the last 2 seasons.

“I look forward to getting back down to Daytona for my sixth Rolex 24 experience.  BGB has put together a great car along with a solid driver line up.  If we can make it through the night we will be right there when the checkered flag falls. I have always respected John and what he has done at BGB. It will be a privilege to drive his new GX.R Cayman in one of the biggest endurance races in the world. The GX series will definitely add a new twist to the race this year and will change the strategy for the competitors in all classes. I know with the team assembled, we’ll have fun both on and off the track and we will be by far the best dressed in our Luna C Swag. ... Look out Daytona Beach!”

Eric Foss spent the 2012 season running strong performances in the GT class.

“It’s great to be part of the team!,” said Foss.  “I’m excited that I get to do my first Rolex 24 with some of my long-time friends.  The Porsche Cayman has always been close to my heart with its great balance and speed. With the experience of BGB Motorsports and a solid driver line up, the Luna-C Cayman will definitely be a contender.”

Smiley SmileySmiley

Pic from Auto-Bild-Sportscars - should be the real deal...

Blueflame2012-11-Cayman2013.JPG

^ I don't know, that looks like a clumsy rendering. Seen it a while ago, too.

Looking at the spyshot of the dirty black mule Gauss posted, you can clearly see that the central air intake in the front bumper is a trapezoid, not an inverted 'smiley' one like the one on the Boxster. Also, there looks to be a single slat in the side intakes with the DRLs.

I know the unveiling is on the 28th, but doesn't Porsche typically pull the sheets off sooner online?

rulesdontapply

Cayman R with 2.5l turbo engine producing 365Hp. Sounds sweet if true indecision

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S in Carrara White with black leather interior. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

bluelines:

Cayman R with 2.5l turbo engine producing 365Hp. Sounds sweet if true indecision

A 4 cylinder though; not so sweet...

If so, it will be a strange hierarchy  for Porsche. The most powerful version being the 4C and the 6C larger capacity engine being below that.

I don't think they are going to do that, for marketing reasons

--

"Form follows function"

Time will tell. Many things have been thought of as "will never happen" like a SUV, a diesel, a hybrid, a watercooled engine, a non-Metzger GT3 engine, a GT3 with no manual box, etc. If it generates more profit, it will happen. You can also be sure that the marketing department will make it's outmost to make us feel it is a natural next step indecision

--

reginos:

If so, it will be a strange hierarchy  for Porsche. The most powerful version being the 4C and the 6C larger capacity engine being below that.

I don't think they are going to do that, for marketing reasons

The most powerful engine in the Porsche range is a diesel with 850Nm. In a SUV. A few years ago everyone would have gone pffffz and shaken their heads about that.

There was a once a 911 with 4-cylinders (albeit it was called a 912). I am sure they can introduce a new 4-cylinder engine and make a nice marketing spin back to the 912 roots.

--

Most people discuss the PS figures and nevertheless the Diesel S is far behind in performance compared to the top petrol models of the range.

The 4C Porsche sportscar is a future possibility in view of the downsizing trend, but I don't think it would have been wise to place it above the 6C in terms of performance. However, everything is possible , for example the Mercedes 240 6C models were slower than the 4C Kompressor, but something similar might not fit with the Porsche image.

--

"Form follows function"

why not a lightly turbo charged small capacity flat 6 (say the 2.7) ...

Good idea. I wouldn't like to see Audi 4C turbo-engines in the sportscars. Keep them for the Macan.

--

"Form follows function"

flat 6 or even a flat 4 engine is the unique selling point of Porsche sports cars with the significantly lower center of gravity that they bring .. I can't see that being dumped easily. 

Agree. I don't seen them moving from a flat (boxer) configuration either and squeezing a V or straight configuration into the 981 will be an engineering challenge  Plus it would raise the centre of gravity for the car which would be a disadvantage.

--

I suppose that when the DFI flat 6 was designed Porsche must have engineered it in such a way that a flat 4 was technically possible. Subaru make a flat 4 and Alfasud had one.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

I suppose that when the DFI flat 6 was designed Porsche must have engineered it in such a way that a flat 4 was technically possible. Subaru make a flat 4 and Alfasud had one.

definitely possible, modularity is all the rage these days ..

Re: Virtually undisguised 981 Cayman Thread Closed

Apparently the most popular request since the introduction of the Cayman was to offer a GT3 engine...

...imagine a Porsche Cayman with the engine from a 996 GT3...

...Porsche Cayman GT3 would certainly provide a genuine "halo" model for the range!

Smiley SmileySmiley

If you understand Porsche model strategy you will know that something like Cayman GT3 is no possible at all.

with politics "driving" the CO2 figures down we will see much more turbos and a downsizing on cylinders and ccm - across all brands and models - sadly - but I hope they will charge them to huge torque and fun levels....

KresoF1:
    If you understand Porsche model strategy you will know that something like Cayman GT3 is no possible at all.

There are rumours that Porsche's model strategy is in the process of evolving...

...just as a 991 GT3 has been testing with a sequential gearbox, a 981 Cayman may be testing with a GT3 engine!

Smiley Smiley Smiley

reginos:

You seem to be forgetting that Porsche themselves had a flat four engine in the 914 Smiley

An interesting recent quote from Michael Mauer, Porsche's design chief...

Porsche-Design-Chief-Michael-Mauer_Porsche-Cayman.jpg

"If you look at the 911 we are extremely successful at introducing derivatives, and it is always an option on other cars. Porsche has started expanding in the Boxster and Cayman segment so it is definitely something we are thinking about..." -- Michael Mauer

Smiley SmileySmiley

ISUK:
    reginos:

You seem to be forgetting that Porsche themselves had a flat four engine in the 914 Smiley

Would you really want a modern Porsche to sound like a wet fart - because that's what Subarus sound like to me! I'd rather have a lower powered flat six howl than that sound thank you very much.

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

BjoernB:

with politics "driving" the CO2 figures down we will see much more turbos and a downsizing on cylinders and ccm - across all brands and models - sadly - but I hope they will charge them to huge torque and fun levels....

That's what Ferrari openly thought a few years ago, but they've managed - as has Porsche and most other manufacturers to both raise power and lower emissions. 

--

KresoF1:

Some people just don't "get" it - we'd all like to see a 981 with 991 power but it just isn 't going to happen, even though the non - S 991 and the 981 S share the same engine - but not the same power!

--

Using BMZ as an analogy, it seems to me that the 1 series is closer to the first 3 series, and that the 1M is an amazing little car.  It's not completely inconceivable that the Cayman becomes the one to have (fun in), if they finally relent on the power issue (or perhaps even they don't).  It would be sacrilege, but it appears that they are slowing doing exactly this whatever we might want.  They are a business, not a club.

I'm going to go out on a limb here: the biggest reluctance I have with it is that it has the label of "He couldn't afford a 911".  With the M1, I don't think that is the case anymore, and with the Boxster now really having arrived, the Cayman may shrug off this label too.

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

Hmm. I'd have a 981 Boxster over 991 if I didn't need the occasional rear seats. The Cayman always just looked wrong to me - a friend has a poverty spec base model and he loves it (had from new and covered over 70,000 miles with the only expense being bulbs, brakes & tyres) I still think it looks like a mutt though.

--

C2S - Basalt/Black XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774206 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    439963 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261879 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260174 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84755 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5442 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879105 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    813822 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM