Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

2012 US F1 Grand Prix in Austin

Just a few more days to go ... looks like the championship could even be decided in Austin ...

Hope the circuit is as good as everyone has been hoping ...

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Re: 2012 US F1 Grand Prix in Austin

Looking forward to it!

Going to head that way over the weekend.  Just a short drive for me :-)

It's going to be fun.  Not tickets, no hotel - just going to show up last minute and have MAX fun.  Love to play it by ear!

Stay tuned.

It's going to be a great weekend. I had a chance ten days ago to jog around the track. It's in great condition, completely finished, with real grass growing in the verges. There was still some construction in parking lots but everything else is ready to go. What a change from when we toured it 16 months ago.

The weather should be perfect: sunny and about 70 degrees F.

Porsche Club seating is at Turn 12, the end of the long back DRS straight. But I suspect I'll spend most of Friday and Saturday walking from corner to corner to see action from different angles.

--

"I don't mean to brag, but I am really good at self-deprecation."

Im so excited, I hope Austin will stay in the calender for many years to come. GOOOOoooooo Vettel finish this season off kiss

I'm afraid the championship won't last till Brazil, its game over this weekend. One of the title contenders has a car that  he can cruise it to 1º on every weekend practice and then pole track after track, and the other has a car that can barely make it into the Q3.

On top of it Alonso starts on the dirty side of the track and with Grosjean and Maldonado right behind him!! angry I'll be surpirsed if he manages to walk away from the first corner tomorrow 

There is no fighting chance unless something strange happens, Alonso needs a podium to still make it t Brazil, and that will only just delay the inevitable another week since it will be even harder then.

Still Alonso after the qualy said to the spanish TV that while he didn't expect to qualify any better today with the car, he has a feeling that he will still take some points off Vettel tomorrow in the race and looked fairly confindent cheeky ... which makes me wonder, do F1 pilots get drug tested? 

Very impressed with Hamilton, he drove the wheels of that Mac to be able to get so close to the RBR. While I'm not particularly fond of Hamilton, I think its unfair that he is not a title contender this year, IMO along with Alonso they are the two best drivers on the grid, with arguably Kimi very close.

Ironic that tyhe "Drivers" championship will be won by a "car" yet another year.

--

Nice take on things mate, but how come Sebastian is 0.5 sec ahead of Mark if he's not got the quality as a driver? I bet they're building two different Red Bulls like Ferrari have always done... oh wait why is Massa in front of Alonso by at least 0.3 sec.

Formula 1 has always been largely influenced by the "car" which makes the team of engineers and the steady development progress in the season just as critical as the best driver. The updates from RBR a couple of months back may have been decisive in taking the championship. I put off my hat to that, that's F1 at its best.

Mercedes wanted to make this step this season and they missed the boat again. Although Schumi had a really good Q session for once.

I think F1 has been super interesting in the last couple of years. How can an energy drink sponsor dominate the tech teams of Ferrari, McLaren etc.. I think it's very exciting and I look forward to tomorrow's race and hope Vettel will take the Championship! It wasn't always easy for him either so it's well deserved.

Atzporsche:

Nice take on things mate, but how come Sebastian is 0.5 sec ahead of Mark if he's not got the quality as a driver? 

Simple because he is better than Webber in general, though not always, at the start of the season when RBR wasn't the fastest car on the track, Webber was leading in points for example. Also there is the factor that Webber is the second driver and Vettel gets all the new parts and race startegy advantages when available, team orders, etc... remember when they ripped of Webber's front wing to put it on Vettel's car before the race?

Question is, if there were 5 RBR on the track this season instead of two, and the other three RBR's were being driven by Alonso, Hamilton and Kimi... do you think the champioship would look closely similar to what it does now?1331921569018Popcorn_Smiley_by_Probocaster.gif

Atzporsche:How can an energy drink sponsor dominate the tech teams of Ferrari, McLaren etc..

Because the energy drink sponsor managed to get the best engineers team, particularly Newey, and that is what has decided the last two driver's championships and seems this one, independantly of the drivers, or tradition of the other teams in F1 (which has less and less importance as rules have changed so much and so fast in the last years).

--

Actually, if there were 5 RBRs on the grid, I suspect Vettel would be leading because the combination of his style and the Newey design seems to have hit a sweet spot.  Is he the best out there?  IMHO not yet -  at the moment, he shows flashes of brilliance coming through the field and then moments of total amateurishness.  There are a few rough edges that he needs to polish out if he wants to improve the very best. But he certainly has the talent to do that in the future.  Ironically, Hamilton has shown some signs of becoming a better all rounder (he is definitely very fast) but McLaren have really dropped the ball this season. 

--

Gen II Cayman S

At least the race will be on a very nice track for a change  ! Well done Austin kiss

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I wish Newey gets his 9th and Vettel his third tonight.

I respect Alonso as a racing driver but this year he talks too much and makes statements about his opponent which reveal him as a bitchy personality.

"Vettel with all the successes cannot be a fluke Señor Alonso enlightened If you finally manage to beat him this year, his sheer quality will also elevate you further."

--

"Form follows function"

Carlos from Spain:

I'm afraid the championship won't last till Brazil, its game over this weekend. One of the title contenders has a car that  he can cruise it to 1º on every weekend practice and then pole track after track, and the other has a car that can barely make it into the Q3.

Very impressed with Hamilton, ..., IMO along with Alonso they are the two best drivers on the grid, with arguably Kimi very close.

Ironic that tyhe "Drivers" championship will be won by a "car" yet another year.

@CoS +1

Could'nt agree more!

But let's hope for some drama & action tonight, it ain't over till it's overSmiley

Lord_Driftalot:
    Carlos from Spain:

Very impressed with Hamilton, ..., IMO along with Alonso they are the two best drivers on the grid, with arguably Kimi very close.

@CoS +1

Could'nt agree more!

But let's hope for some drama & action tonight, it ain't over till it's overSmiley

In the history of F1 since the 70s that  I know, perhaps only Schumacher at his time with Benetton managed to beat the best car of the time, the Williams. Why all that fuss and surprise??  After all, It's motorsport not an athletics running competition.

--

"Form follows function"

The best season IMHO was 2007 when KR (in a Ferrari) could defeat LH and FA (in McLaren) in the last race by 1 point (!!)

Especially the last race was drama pur when LH's car got damaged in the early stages, then he made a mistake pressing the wrong buttons on his steeringwheel bringing his car to neutral for almost one lap and then becoming 7th.

That was only because Ron Dennis had his two drivers taking points from each other during the season and playing silly games like the Hungarian GP qualifying fiasco. This rivalry brought the whole team down and diluted the points scoring potential. Can you imagine Ferrari ever allowing this to happen?

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

That was only because Ron Dennis had his two drivers taking points from each other during the season and playing silly games like the Hungarian GP qualifying fiasco. This rivalry brought the whole team down and diluted the points scoring potential. Can you imagine Ferrari ever allowing this to happen?

--

"Form follows function"

Of course not! Ferrari management is much more clever than that! Smiley

I wholeheartedly agree with you about the cars. It's motorsport people! The car is what really matters. Smiley

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

2007 McLaren; poor result for the team effort, but great sportsmanship to let both drivers really compete. A mixed bag.

Really looking forward to todays race!  Regardless of the outcome, I will celebrate a new circuit in the US (about time!).     

btw, It is really annoying when someone hears that you are a fan of racing and wants to talk to you about Nascar  enlightened

another favorite question "what kind of cars do they drive in Formula One?" 

It is a bit of a struggle to maintain a polite and informative response as opposed to just saying.........that which I would not be rude enough to say. smiley

REALZEUS:
    reginos:

Can you imagine Ferrari ever allowing this to happen?

--

"Form follows function"

And Ferrari does it again ... http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-felipe-massa-takes-gearbox-penalty-to-promote-fernando-alonso/ Smiley

Lord_Driftalot:
    REALZEUS:
    reginos:

Can you imagine Ferrari ever allowing this to happen?

--

"Form follows function"

And Ferrari does it again ... http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-felipe-massa-takes-gearbox-penalty-to-promote-fernando-alonso/ Smiley

Well, clever, isn't it? Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:

Smiley the italian way of competition. Well Massa answered it in the race...excellent drive, he showed the potential of the Ferrari. Good start from Alonso...shy race. In fact Massa was faster over the weekend. Maybe Teflonso should focus on racing rather than on silly interviews.

Can´t remember a driver demanding that much of teamorder and babysitting than Alonso. Really bad sportsmanship...

The  fact that Alonso needs teamorder from first race to compete in the same car against Massa or in earlier years against Fisichella. The way he lost his face and reputation in 2007 vs. a Rookie in the same McLaren answers the hypothetic question of him aside to 4 other top drivers in the RBR. Without Stefano on the team radio...no chance. 

Excellent battle between Hamilton and Vettel. Good and tough racing on the track, though still respectful. I really enjoyed to watch Vettel fighting till last lap. Another excellent overtaking from Kimi vs. Hulkenberg.

From the race today, turn 12, right after Hamilton passed Vettel:

PB180282_2.jpg

Awesome to see Hamilton put in a performance like that for McLaren when he is only one race away from leaving the team.     Very impressive, the last US winner from years past is also the first US winner for years ongoing.

Adrian Newey got his 9th constructors' title last night

Additionally, Hakkinen won the drivers' title in 1999 in the MP4/14, a Newey design too.

--

"Form follows function"

Brilliant race. Superb drives from Hamilton, Vettel, Button. Loved the overtaking eg Button on Raikkonen, Grosjean etc. I totally understand why Ferrari did what it did for Alonso but it spoils the competition for the fans. I still can't understand why Hamilton is going to Mercedes. RBR deserve the constructors title. The US fans were great and the track etc looked superb.

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Di Resta is always complaining about something. He would win the Drivers' Whingeing Championship by miles. I loved the wheel to wheel racing between Button and Raikkonen. Thrilling. I can't wait for Schumi to leave F1. As Button passed him, he forced Button to veer right into the pit lane exit to avoid a collision. Schumi has been dreadful in his second career, making silly mistakes, driving dangerously, showing how unaware he is of what is going on around him and generally tarnishing his legacy. He's past it.

--

997.1 C2S

kashmir:
    Rossi:

Smiley the italian way of competition. Well Massa answered it in the race...excellent drive, he showed the potential of the Ferrari. Good start from Alonso...shy race. In fact Massa was faster over the weekend. Maybe Teflonso should focus on racing rather than on silly interviews.

Can´t remember a driver demanding that much of teamorder and babysitting than Alonso. Really bad sportsmanship...

The  fact that Alonso needs teamorder from first race to compete in the same car against Massa or in earlier years against Fisichella. The way he lost his face and reputation in 2007 vs. a Rookie in the same McLaren answers the hypothetic question of him aside to 4 other top drivers in the RBR. Without Stefano on the team radio...no chance. 

Excellent battle between Hamilton and Vettel. Good and tough racing on the track, though still respectful. I really enjoyed to watch Vettel fighting till last lap. Another excellent overtaking from Kimi vs. Hulkenberg.

To be fair. RBR follows the same tactics, only in a more subtle way. They gave Webber's front wing to Vettel, when the German broke his and they always instruct the Toro Rosso guys out of thw way.

The inevitable happened last night and RBR took the Contructors' Title. It was more or less a foregone conclusion but  now with this out out of the way it's pretty certain that Vettel will win the Drivers' Title as well in 6 days time. A bit anticlimatic though winning a Championship with a 2nd place... 

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

This complaining about the front wing ''exchange'' will never end, I guess... And that suppose to be the basis of all RB bias towards SV. Very arguemented.

REALZEUS:

To be fair. RBR follows the same tactics, only in a more subtle way. They gave Webber's front wing to Vettel, when the German broke his and they always instruct the Toro Rosso guys out of thw way.

Smiley Sorry, but swapping spare parts is common practice by the teams.

1353355071742IMG_1030.JPG

Here to tell you the GRAND PRIX was incredible!

I drove 1200 miles each way, leaving at 5PM on Friday and returning Noon Monday.  Your typical walk in the park.  I started the journey to Lincoln Neb. first to pick up my squeeze (she is from Nigeria and just finished her Masters Thesis on GIS).

The was no planning involved just dumb luck - Forrest Gump style!

First we lucked out by finding a Hotel in the area for less than $200!  Last minute.  Then Carragous suggested an excellent restaurant downtown.  There I found not only TWO Turn 12 tickets for $250 each but also had my pic taken with Ron Dennis.  Thanks Dain!!! (Blame Gordon Ramsey for taking the blurry picture!)

Turns out I was sitting near Dain and GM Austin, turn 12, section 3, Row 7!  Perfect weather, friendliest GP in the world + great food and great music.  A good time was had and I returned the 997 back home after a night of rainy driving back up to Lincoln and then to KC.  What an excellent adventure!

THE TRACK was incredible!  It will be fun to watch it grow the next ten years+

A few Pics! And perhaps a shock for those who think I'm an Obama hating racist...SmileyIMG_1032.JPGIMG_1026.JPG

Hardcore FAN of Michael Schumacher's sitting infront of us.

IMG_1044.JPG

A good view of the HUGE tower by Turn one.

IMG_1041.JPG

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    760241 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434135 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259887 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257030 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80679 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5309 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871022 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806154 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM