Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Virtually undisguised 981 Cayman Thread Closed

Pics courtesy of Planet 9.

13530638232216.JPG

Re: Virtuallu undisguised 981 Cayman Thread Closed

Thanks for posting but.......Smiley as regards styling. An opportunity missed IMO.

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

It's the coupe version of the Boxster after all. And an evolution of the current shape. No surprises but overall attractive to me.

Porsche could have introduced a vertical rear window with buttresses but it seems that the hatchback style helps practicality. Form follows function yes

--

"Form follows function"

I guess this could be the answer for the "disappointed" 997 owners who are not willing to move on the 991. Looks good and has more presence judging by the pictures.

--

911 Club Coupe, 72' 911 Targa 2.4 S, 12' Audi S4 Avant

True!

It could be the economy solution of changing an aging 997 without spending the inflated price of a 991. To the uninitiated, It looks more special than a 991, too.

--

"Form follows function"

No surpises on the looks but I still really like it.  The real test will be how it drives though.  I tried to test drive a 981 boxster the other day and my OPC asked me not to becasue they felt it might prejudice me against the new Cayman.  yes  They happily let me drive a 991 C2 though. 

--

Gen II Cayman S

If they release a more hardcore Cayman R again I will be buying one. 

Re: Virtually undisguised 981 Cayman Thread Closed

The front- and backlights are still slightly camouflaged but what did people actually expect? Smiley

Cayman = Boxster Coupe, no real surprises possible.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

The best surprise would be a price that is lower than a Boxster smiley

....... one can only dream

I like it, and will post my personal impressions after I see it at the L.A. Show press day on November 28.  

The front bumper looks different to the Boxster's, it's got much bigger air intakes. You notice that the Cayman has the LED lights above the "design line" in the bumper while the Boxster has them beneath.

nose444.jpg

Porsche-Boxster-981.jpg

Just an optical illusion. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Or disguise tape

--

Gen II Cayman S

RC:

Agreed; I think this is just a black sticker with a Boxster DRL light design covering a circular light under it.

Can't wait for the unveil. No surprises, but definitely has the makings of Porsche's finest-looking coupe yet...

rulesdontapply

RC:

Doh Smiley

WAY:

make your own .. go for Sports suspension without PASM, and sports bucket seats ...

placement of the word porsche on the back looks really awkward... rest of the car is no surprise but looks the part if you ask me.

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

The 911 is a 911 - no mistake, the leading model in the Porsche range.  Never mind the fact that other models have helped maintain this status financially... especially the Cayenne!

A Cayman, no matter what configuration or performance, will never surpass the 911's place as Porsche's leading light - historic factors prevent such an occurrence and long may this eventuality prevail.

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Agreed, John, but the latest 911 has become a softer more GT character than sports car, judging by my own brief drive and others here who have driven it. We certainly didn't feel any anticlimax when  we climbed back into our 4 year old 997/2 after driving the 991. I'm sure the forthcoming GT3 will refocus that, but the Boxster / Cayman will be the sharper sports car in the Porsche range this side of the GT3, and more enjoyable at useable road speeds, particularly here in congested UK. 

--

Did you drove 991S equipped with SPASM/PDCC, PDK and Sport Chrono Plus?

The extra length over the previous model really adds a much sleaker appearance. Perhaps more noticable on the fixed roof model than the boxster.

I am mostly glad to see the rear windows have not been oversized as suggested by some of the artist's renderings. kiss

sfo:
    WAY:

make your own .. go for Sports suspension without PASM, and sports bucket seats ...

I don't believe you can get sports bucket on the 981 now?

At first glance it looks like a Panamera with the rear doors chopped off........

On second glance it looks like a Panamera with the waist section chopped off and the front and back welded back together.

ON the contrary, I think the Panamera looks like a stretched Cayman indecision

--

"Form follows function"

WAY:

I don't believe you can get sports bucket on the 981 now?

you can in the UK

KresoF1:
    Did you drove 991S equipped with SPASM/PDCC, PDK and Sport Chrono Plus?

We drove two 991's at Silverstone, albeit very briefly, a 991 (non S) PDK that had SPASM and sport chrono, and a 991S PDK that had sport chrono but standard PASM. 

I needed a longer drive, I asked for a 991 when we took our 997 in for it's 4 year service, but having broken off diplomatic relations with the sales department of our local OPC after their handling of our well documented Cayman debacle they wouldn't lend me one, ended up with the service manager's Audi A3 diesel! Only went back there as their service department have always been excellent and their quote for the 4 year major service was several hundred pounds less expensive than either of the other local Porsche dealers I approached. 

I've found a very low mileage Boxster 981S at OPC Bristol everything on it including PDK, 20" wheels, TPMS, PASM, sport chrono, Porsche torque vectoring, electric 14 way memory sports seats Bose and more, half jokingly suggested to SWMBO this morning we px our 997 for it and she amazed me by saying she actually now prefers the 997 to a Boxster, wouldn't want to go back to one even the new one, she finds the 997 more comfortable and less claustrophobic. Also much easier to pack when touring than a Boxster.

--

The new "Boxster Coupe" is looking good so far...

...all due credit to Frank Rodriguez at Atlanta Airport (and Porsche) for the original photos...

...looks like WildSpeed's photoshop was fairly close to the final production model! Smiley

...now they just need to install a GT3 motorsport engine...

...thanks to Chris Harris for the video! Smiley

Smiley SmileySmiley

"Porsche Cayman 3.8-litre Flat-Six to Race in GRAND-AM at Daytona in 2013"

GRAND-AM ANNOUNCES ELIGIBILITY LIST FOR NEW GX CLASS

13 Models Can Compete In Newest Rolex Series Category In 2013

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (24 October 2012) – Competitors looking to participate in GRAND-AM’s newest race category will have 10 new models from nine manufacturers to choose from, based on the list of cars eligible for the new GX class in the Rolex Sports Car Series.

Earlier this year, GRAND-AM announced the new class to allow for cars and technologies currently not involved in the Rolex Series, that will debut in the 2013 Rolex 24 At Daytona.

Eligible cars already announced for the class were the Lotus Evora GX, Porsche Cayman, and Mazda with the Skyactiv-D turbo diesel in a model to be determined.

GRAND-AM today expanded that list to 13 models from 12 different manufacturers, adding the Audi TT, BMW 1 Series, Chevrolet Cruze, Ford Focus (four door), Hyundai Genesis, Subaru BRZ, Scion FR-S, Nissan 370Z or Altima, and Volkswagen EOS.

GX will join the Daytona Prototype and GT classes at all Rolex Series races. Rules are being developed to allow for the exploration of a wide variety of alternative technologies and alternative fuels. This could include turbocharged engines; fuels other than gasoline, such as clean diesels; and hybrid powertrains.

The class will be developed with performance levels that complement the current DP and GT classes. No changes to GT performance levels are expected.

GRAND-AM GX CLASS Cars List...

Audi TT (Prep1) -- V6 (2550 lb) 
    BMW 1 Series (Prep2) -- 2.0L Turbo 4 cyl. (2450 lb)
    Chevy Cruze (Prep2) -- 2.0L Turbo 4 cyl. (2450 lb)
    Focus 4-door (Prep2) -- 2.0L Turbo 4 cyl. (2450 lb)
    Hyundai Genesis (Prep1 or Prep2) -- 3.5L V6 (2550 lb)
    Lotus Evora GX (Prep1) -- Toyota V-6 / 2GR-FE (2550 lb) 

PORSCHE CAYMAN (Prep1) -- Porsche Flat 6 3.8L (2550 lb) Smiley

Mazda ??? (Prep2) -- Skyactive Turbo Diesel (2450 lb w/ transaxle)
    Subaru BRZ (Prep2) -- 2.5L Turbo 4 cyl. (2500 lb)
    Scion FR-S (Prep2) -- 2.5L Turbo 4 cyl. (2500 lb)
    Nissan 370Z (Prep 1) -- 3.7L V6 (2550 lb)
    Nissan Altima (Prep2) -- 3.5L V6 (2550 lb)
    Volkswagen EOS (Prep 2) -- 2.0L Turbo or 2.0L TDi (2450 lb)

. . .

BGB MOTORSPORTS AND PORSCHE CAYMAN RETURN TO DAYTONA

- Team Press Release -

ORMOND BEACH, Fla. (26 October 2012) – On the heels of a recent announcement earlier this week by GRAND-AM, BGB Motorsports announced their intention to once again field a Porsche Cayman built with the purpose of running in GRAND-AM endurance competition. While the seemingly underpowered, 3.4 liter Porsche Cayman S proved to be reliable, it didn’t compete well in GS class competition against larger powered V8 muscle from Chevy, Ford and BMW.  During the 2011 season, excellent race Strategy, pit stops and Guy Cosmo were required for the little car to finish in the top-10 respectably, every single time.

Fans of the mid-engine Porsche sport coupe will be able to witness the little Cayman make Porsche history and contest the prestigious 51st running of the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona for the first time ever.  Most importantly though, Cayman history will be made also as the car is finally permitted to receive the only thing it ever really needed, and that’s an engine from its big brother the 911.

On Tuesday GRAND-AM announced 13 models eligible to compete in their newest class, Rolex GX. Earlier this year, GRAND-AM announced the new class to allow for cars and technologies currently not involved in the Rolex Series, that will debut in the 2013 Rolex 24 At Daytona.  Eligible cars already announced for the class were the Lotus Evora GX, Porsche Cayman, and Mazda with the Skyactiv-D turbo diesel in a model to be determined.  GRAND-AM expanded that list to 13 models from 12 different manufacturers, adding the Audi TT, BMW 1 Series, Chevrolet Cruze, Ford Focus (four door), Hyundai Genesis, Subaru BRZ, Scion FR-S, Nissan 370Z or Altima, and Volkswagen EOS.

While the new GX class was first conceived to provide a home for newer technology that might be a bit premature for conventional GRAND-AM endurance use, it provides a home for cars that might not fit in anywhere else or might not be allowed to run anywhere else.  John Tecce had more to add:

“Before people start asking us if we have lost our minds, we are bringing the Cayman back because someone finally created a home for the car to race with an engine that every Porsche fan on this continent wishes it received from the factory.  We want to take the trusty Direct Fuel Injection 911 GTS engine that gave us such success this year and drop it in the Cayman like we have done for half a dozen customers across the U.S.  People love these cars and we have enough faith in this brand that we can build an economically priced GT car that is up to the task of running 24 hours AND driving to Starbucks afterwards at 4pm Sunday with its license plate on if it had to.”

The team announced that the driver lineup will be managed by Rolex Series and Continental Tire Series regular Ryan Eversley of Winder, GA.  Eversley will be joined by long-time friend and co-driver Lee Davis of John’s Creek, GA.  The two have been racing together as friends and partners with an attempt to bring their clothing line to the GRAND-AM paddock; the BGB crew will be sporting the automobile racing inspired Luna-C threads while the Luna-C logo is prominently displayed on the eye-catching Porsche Cayman.  

Details regarding the final three drivers will be released at a later date.

...maybe we will see a Cayman GT3 or RS to finally provide a genuine "halo" model for the range! Smiley

Smiley SmileySmiley

Boxster Coupe GTS,

In case you have forgotten, you have posted this info already in this thread: http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/20461804/Re_2013_CaymanBoxsterSpy_Shots/page1.html#p20461804

Gauss:

Boxster Coupe GTS,

In case you have forgotten, you have posted this info already in this thread: http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/20461804/Re_2013_CaymanBoxsterSpy_Shots/page1.html#p20461804

...thanks for linking the threads -- much appreciated sir!

Smiley SmileySmiley

This is going a bit off topic but it seems the whole UK is feeling underwhelmed by the 991 and to a lesser extent the 981.  Porsche sports cars are selling really slowly and residuals are appalling. 

Some of this must be related to the recession but I also think that while Porsche puts more and more technology into making their cars massively fast, they feel too remote and too big for UK roads.  My impression of the 991 (C2, SPASM, manual)  was that it was needlessly huge and very boring - too harsh to be a GT and and nowhere near engaging enough to be a sports car.  All the controls except the gearbox felt like digital and therefore artifical. And the gearbox was terrible!  It even sounded artifical, which after a few miles annoyed the hell out of me. 

--

Gen II Cayman S

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    755678 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431752 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258906 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255984 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79973 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5266 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

869036 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    803161 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM