Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: "Cajun" is now...MACAN Thread Closed

reginos:

They will use the Sport Turismo rear lights and red strip?  That's an attractive element.

Recent articles have suggested that the Sport Turismo design elements would be the new direction for Porsche, so this would make sense.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:
    Spyderidol:

Not bad. Lets see if it looks llike this.

This is pretty close, the base design elements are there. Smiley

RC - have you already seen the final design of the Macan?

If the car comes out looking like this, my Cayenne might have a shorter shelf life than I anticipated. I'm currently eyeing the imminent Cayman S, but a Macan Turbo will certainly make a most compelling case for itself...

rulesdontapply

Well, I saw something but not the real thing but something which represents the real thing. 

I also saw a recent mule up-close, so I was able to tell the shape of the lights and other stuff. 

Sorry, can't say more, don't want to put people in trouble but the AutoBILD sketches are pretty close, which is surprising (I actually thought that Porsche would keep a closer lid on it since the introduction is planned for 2013).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

What is the black strip on the door bottoms? Hope it is not on final version.

Overall, nice, distinctive design...

Agreed. The Cayenne facelift due after the summer factory shutdown next year will probably use some of these new design elements as well.

If the Macan looks as good as this and has the right mix of Porsche performance enhancement, I will definitely consider it as a replacement for my Cayenne.  Hopefully, Porsche will address the cramped rear seating area that the current Q5 has. 

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2006 Cayenne Titanium Iceland Silver Metalic New York

olli:

Agreed. The Cayenne facelift due after the summer factory shutdown next year will probably use some of these new design elements as well.

Yes but, to my knowledge, at a smaller scale.

--

Actually, I got the dates mixed up, the facelift is due after the suimmer shutdown in 2014, not 2013.

Actually, I got the dates mixed up, the Cayenne facelift is due after the summer shutdown in 2014, not 2013.

olli:

Actually, I got the dates mixed up, the facelift is due after the suimmer shutdown in 2014, not 2013.

True, I should have read your post more carefully. 2013 is the facelift year of the Panamera.

The Cayenne facelift is due 2014, also because of the Macan introduction.

--

RC:
    reginos:

It will steal sales from the Cayenne for those who don't want the extra space but OTOH it will also  win sales from medium SUVs from Audi, BMW, L-R etc.

True. I never understood the appeal of the Macan over the Cayenne until we returned the BMW X5M and went for a BMW X3 35d instead. My wife loves the smaller size and despite the much lower hp figure, it still is a very fast commuter due to the lower weight. Luggage room is smaller but not significantly smaller.

(First post in a long time)

We are having the same issue at the moment.  Wife complaining the Cayenne is too large, and prefer smaller SUV.  Can't wait for this Macan!

WAY:
    RC:
    reginos:

It will steal sales from the Cayenne for those who don't want the extra space but OTOH it will also  win sales from medium SUVs from Audi, BMW, L-R etc.

True. I never understood the appeal of the Macan over the Cayenne until we returned the BMW X5M and went for a BMW X3 35d instead. My wife loves the smaller size and despite the much lower hp figure, it still is a very fast commuter due to the lower weight. Luggage room is smaller but not significantly smaller.

(First post in a long time)

We are having the same issue at the moment.  Wife complaining the Cayenne is too large, and prefer smaller SUV.  Can't wait for this Macan!

My wife also does not want a big SUV ( we had an X5 ) , but we have 3 kids, so an X3 or Macan would be too small Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

With three kids, the X3 would be way too small, indeed. Even the Cayenne or the X5 could be a challenge. We are friends with two families with three kids each and one family has an Audi Q7 and the other one a VW T5. Both aren't really happy with their choices as it seems but the alternatives seem to be even worse.

At some point I was thinking of getting a tuned T5 with Porsche 911 Turbo engine but my wife didn't like the idea at all. She said that if I would get a T5, no matter how fast it is, she would divorce me. indecision I got her point... 

One of these families is looking at a US SUV right now, like the Cadillac Escalade ESV (the longer version) but most of  the big US SUVs are available with thirsty V8 engines only, so this is a problem. Another problem is the size of these SUVs, almost impossible to find a parking lot over here for them.

So if you have more than two kids, the car choices suddenly become pretty limited I'm afraid.

--

try the new big Rangi - looks stunning inside and outside in real life !

Toyota Alphard is the best car for big families IMO)))

--

sportcars-history.com

My sister just went through the same thing with 3 kids. She was driving the X5 and just found it too small and ended up with a Discovery 4 which has 7 seats. It's hard fitting three seats next to each other. 

But for me, I have a 4 year old and a recent new born, and we live right in the city.  Parking for wide cars are difficult so a more compact SUV or a M3 wagon (if it ever exist) would be more ideal. 

It'll be interesting to see what Volvo replace the XC90 with. Whilst my barge isn't remotely sporty, it is extremely practical (if thirsty for a diesel) and very easy to live with. 

--

C2S - Basalt/Black XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

WAY:

Parking for wide cars are difficult so a more compact SUV or a M3 wagon (if it ever exist) would be more ideal. 

Rumour has it the new Alpina D3 will have the 345bhp diesel from the D5 and will be available as a Touring.   If Alpina are true to form, the suspension should be less hardcore than the M3 but much better than the standard cars.   Late spring early summer launch for RHD cars...

--

Gen II Cayman S

GR, we don't get Alpina in Australia! :(

kudryavchik:

Toyota Alphard is the best car for big families IMO)))

I prefer the T5 from VW...modified by TH. 

http://www.thautomobile.de/

My wife hates the T5 but up to 800 hp is possible. Smiley The affordable models have 420 and 480 hp though.

Here is a video of the TH2RS, driven by Walter Röhrl. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wjFROTXAvM&feature=fvwrel

--

BjoernB:

try the new big Rangi - looks stunning inside and outside in real life !

Performance is way too bad for the power it offers. My wife's X3 35d needs 5.5 seconds from 0-100 kph, the RR Supercharged 6.2 seconds (and needs more than double the fuel). Ouch. I'd rather go for a Cayenne Turbo instead. Even the GTS would be faster.

--

If it looks like that me and all my friends will be buying one! Sadly, it never looks like the renders. 

Christian, I've always liked those TH modified T5! They are the ultimate sleepers. 

Like it overall, except for the black lower door strip.  Especially like the tail light treatment--sleeker than current Cayenne lights...

I also think it will look like "unfinished" if left like that. I'm sure there will be an option to have it painted in body colour.

--

"Form follows function"

Thoma:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-cars/first/first-look-2014-porsche-macan-suv

Much better than the current Cayenne, especially the tail-lightsSmiley

but, I doubt it will ever look like the renders when Porsche releases it.

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

RC:

.....the AutoBILD sketches are pretty close, which is surprising (I actually thought that Porsche would keep a closer lid on it since the introduction is planned for 2013).

Very good then SmileySmiley

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

pride355:

Much better than the current Cayenne, especially the tail-lightsSmiley

Well, that's not very difficult to achieve, isnt't it? Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

I think that the Cayenne looks very good except perhaps the rear lights. The design makes it look compact and blends elements of the Porsche style very well. My ideal SUV shape is the Q5 (I find no aesthetic mistakes in the design) with Cayenne second. I hope the Macan will look even better.

Of the other SUVs:

• The BMWs are busy and confused shapes
    • The Mercedes look like glorified trucks
    • The RRs are very show-off, nouveau-riche styles and in the case of the Evoque funny too.
    • I like LRs for their unpretentious honesty.

--

"Form follows function"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    803132 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448535 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266059 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90031 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6542 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885636 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833150 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM