Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: So I am back again (458 or MP4-12C advice needed)

These are the facts about the cars. Choose what's more important for you and make the right decision for your individual style;

- Exterior Looks - Ferrari. Especially in certain colour combos

- Interior - close call on that one. People seem to like mclaren's interior better than exterior

- presence - Ferrari -not by a long margin but still it is designed to wow with its presence.

- Handling - Mclaren has better and much more accessible handling. 

- Handling fun - Ferrari is more responsive to drifting, steering, road feeling etc. Looks great on tests but i've yet to see one being driven like this anywhere

- Power/ Performance - Mclaren. Hands down there is no comparison especially after the 625hp update. Ignore magazines this is the truth

- Overall fun. Well this is one subjective as the Ferrari (like all ferraris) is designed to give you max fun at low speeds. So in that sense it is more involving than the MP4. On the other hand the MP4 will give you a lot of fun with its pace once floored as well as its cornering speed ad stability. For me the latter is what counts. For others its the former.

- Sound - Ferrari

- Everyday usability - Mclaren hands down. Nothing in the sportcar universe rides like the MP4 when the dial is turned to N. Only the doors make it possibly a bit more cumbersome

Overall the Mclaren is the faster/ better handling and gripier car of the 2. Also the more usable car. The 458 has been designed to be more emotional, trickle your sensations in a different way. It is the best ferrari ever in my opinion as its the first one that has the performance envelope that the price tag commands.

Hope this helps

12C White w Black Roof - 1276.JPG

IF i were to get a MP4 I think this is the one as it has all the options I want. IF I were to get a 458 there is a second hand one sitting on the dealer lot black on black/tan with very low mileage.

138dfac3919e023ff916452b0be7d969.jpg

Both are about the same price.

If I were to decide on a custom build spider it will be a January build date arriving late March early April.

Decisions decisions decisions.

Beautiful and amazing cars, you really can't go wrong with either one of them. blush

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

I would go with the custom build  MP4 Spider

GT:

These are the facts about the cars. Choose what's more important for you and make the right decision for your individual style;

- Exterior Looks - Ferrari. Especially in certain colour combos

- Interior - close call on that one. People seem to like mclaren's interior better than exterior

- presence - Ferrari -not by a long margin but still it is designed to wow with its presence.

- Handling - Mclaren has better and much more accessible handling. 

- Handling fun - Ferrari is more responsive to drifting, steering, road feeling etc. Looks great on tests but i've yet to see one being driven like this anywhere

- Power/ Performance - Mclaren. Hands down there is no comparison especially after the 625hp update. Ignore magazines this is the truth

- Overall fun. Well this is one subjective as the Ferrari (like all ferraris) is designed to give you max fun at low speeds. So in that sense it is more involving than the MP4. On the other hand the MP4 will give you a lot of fun with its pace once floored as well as its cornering speed ad stability. For me the latter is what counts. For others its the former.

- Sound - Ferrari

- Everyday usability - Mclaren hands down. Nothing in the sportcar universe rides like the MP4 when the dial is turned to N. Only the doors make it possibly a bit more cumbersome

Overall the Mclaren is the faster/ better handling and gripier car of the 2. Also the more usable car. The 458 has been designed to be more emotional, trickle your sensations in a different way. It is the best ferrari ever in my opinion as its the first one that has the performance envelope that the price tag commands.

Hope this helps

Very good round-up. Thank you.

Just 2 (subjective) comments on the points above:

• The sound of the Ferrari can become irritating on a journey after the first excitement. Unless someone uses the car for 30 minute spells.
    • The very direct steering with just 2 turns lock-to-lock on a F430 I've driven (the 458 should be something similar), impaired smoothness and flow of driving without practically adding much in terms of placing the car accurately and quickly.

--

"Form follows function"

crayphile:

I would go with the custom build  MP4 Spider

X2Smiley

Stay away from black on the 458. Its beautiful lines will become lost.

--

Well Nick, as usual I tend to disagree with you :)

Black can be beautiful on the 458, look below, all the design line features are showing even on a black car. It's just need to be very clean and reflective in order to show it.

135302969021813.jpg

13530298338539.jpg

reginos:

• The sound of the Ferrari can become irritating on a journey after the first excitement. Unless someone uses the car for 30 minute spells.

I  find the sound of the 458 to be too much even if it is ' nicer' meaning more racy . Each time I hear one arrive in the streets in town, I end up finding the sound actually ridiculous. 

You can hear that racing V8 sound and growling from far and then you see a car arrive that drives at 50 km/h , but the sound makes  suggests you are just cooling down from a track race , or you are ready to start the 24h du Mans.

It's too much !

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:
    reginos:

I  find the sound of the 458 to be too much even if it is ' nicer' meaning more racy . Each time I hear one arrive in the streets in town, I end up finding the sound actually ridiculous. 

You can hear that racing V8 sound and growling from far and then you see a car arrive that drives at 50 km/h , but the sound makes  suggests you are just cooling down from a track race , or you are ready to start the 24h du Mans.

It's too much !

Couldn't have put it better Gnil. It's the one thing that I really dislike about Ferrari. Some models actually made as much noise than my 740hp car at red line while doing parking manoeuvres.. I understand what Ferrari is trying to market here but there are limits...

GT:
    Gnil:
    reginos:

It's too much !

Couldn't have put it better Gnil. It's the one thing that I really dislike about Ferrari. Some models actually made as much noise than my 740hp car at red line while doing parking manoeuvres.. I understand what Ferrari is trying to market here but there are limits...

Exactly Smiley A case of "too much of a good thing".

--

"Form follows function"

It's easy to avoid making any extrovert noise in the 458 when driving through a town. You only have to put the manettino in sport mode and the exhaust valves will stay closed within the rev range needed at lower speeds. If you hear one driving through town it's because the driver has set the manettino to race mode to open the valves earlier. With the valves shut the exhaust is actually pretty quiet for this type of car.

But if they don't make their presence heard, why spend a fortune on Ferrari smiley

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

But if they don't make their presence heard, why spend a fortune on Ferrari smiley

--

"Form follows function"

5 houses down from my house there is this kid with the 458. There is a stop sign just before my house on the intersection and every night around 10-ish 11 I can here him go home, almost like every night he is testing his 0-60. I am VERY intimate with the sound a 458 makes.

I think I have made my decision, I am going to get the incoming white one while spec-ing and holding onto a May build slot for a spider. IF I really feel like a spider person I will switch maybe late August when the car comes in. I get full refund on deposit anyway since the car is really in short supply in my neck of the woods. I SHOULD be able to take delivery of the white one around the end of the month.

Pretty much official that I passed on a Ferrari 4 times in a row, has to be a first.

@John H: this is even better, I am away on a trip and I communicate with the McLaren sales through email. I should be able to get the car around the time I return. Imagine how I am going to break the news as she is completely in the dark right now.

Whoopsy:
    reginos:

--

"Form follows function"

5 houses down from my house there is this kid with the 458. There is a stop sign just before my house on the intersection and every night around 10-ish 11 I can here him go home, almost like every night he is testing his 0-60. I am VERY intimate with the sound a 458 makes.

I think I have made my decision, I am going to get the incoming white one while spec-ing and holding onto a May build slot for a spider. IF I really feel like a spider person I will switch maybe late August when the car comes in. I get full refund on deposit anyway since the car is really in short supply in my neck of the woods. I SHOULD be able to take delivery of the white one around the end of the month.

Pretty much official that I passed on a Ferrari 4 times in a row, has to be a first.

It is good to be in a position to have such a freedom of choice. Enjoy your preference thoroughly  Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

Whoopsy:
    reginos:

--

"Form follows function"

So you are getting the 458 then? Many congratulations! I'm not a big fan of Ferraris post F40 era but the 458 has much more positive feedback than the McLaren. 

Imo unfortunately McLaren are not established enough to have complete faith in their product. Perhaps in a few years once they have improved their cars. 

Errr... I think Whoopsy means he's getting the McLaren... in white!

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

That's how I understood it too.

--

"Form follows function"

The important thing is that you're happy with your choice. The MP4 will make you a very happy man, it's a great car. You just needs to get the pictures rolling as soon as you get it. indecision

It is the white McLaren. A completely utterly pure emotional purchase, almost defying logic.

Almost all my close friends whom I talked to absolutely recommended the 458 over the MP4, citing design, sound, after sales support, McLaren is a unknown entity in building cars, and even the financial aspect. Almost like here actually.

But the decision basically comes down to the McLaren has a proper cup holder.wink

Just Kidding. Haha. Not sure why, but before I was one the critics of the MP4, I think I did upload a picture of the Ascari showing how the 2 cars are almost twins, saying the MP4 is too generic, etc. The design has really grow on me over time. Plus the fact that the MP4 is one of the most technology advanced cars on the road, and I found out Ron Dennis was so anal that he changed the factory width from the planned 100m to 99m, because he only want whole tiles on the floor. If the boss is that particular then I have to imagine the product has to be at least top notch. Then there is the British aspect too, I grew up in a British colony, and currently living in a British Commonwealth country, so I feel quite attached to the British in some way, but up until now pretty much every modern car the British made is quite rubbish, be it Jaguar or Land Rovers, I think McLaren finally put the British back on the map.

Lastly, but I think most importantly, as a kid I have 959 posters, which was followed by the McLaren F1 posters. The F40 was never on my wall. The 959 dream has turned into the Turbo and Turbo S, and now I have a chance and the means to at least own a McLaren product, I am not about to give it up. Unlike almost any human being on earth, Ferrari was never a high priority on my dream list.

There was one more poster on the wall that shall and will remains a dream though, a certain human being named Cindy Crawford....................

reginos:
    Whoopsy:
    reginos:

--

"Form follows function"

It is good to be in a position to have such a freedom of choice. Enjoy your preference thoroughly  Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

Thanks. But the freedom is not free, it's earned through years of hard work earlier in life plus some luck. Yet there are more members here that I believe has more 'freedom' than me, Mike S comes to mind, he bought so many cars he forgot where he left them.

Respect and congrats to your decision kiss

I wish you the best. It's important to be at peace on this one.
    And please write a report after spending some time with the car. Thanks!
    --

There is no try. Just do.

It is a special car and it will make you feel special. What more can you ask for?Smiley

--

Congrats  - would be interested to learn your final spec on the coupe. I saw the stealth McLaren logo etc on a car today  - it looks really good and would suit white.

Nice choice W, enjoy it. The car looks great in white, as does the 458. wink

Thanks guys. Maybe this is my mid-life crisis solution :)

@crayphile:

carbon fiber splitter, mirror, turning vanes, diffuser, sill panels, interior carbon, lightweight forged wheels in stealth, sports exhaust, stealth pack, IRIS upgrade, parking sensors, full leather interior in black, branded floor mats,  brake caliper and contrast stitching in McLaren orange and MSO gloss black contrast roof. The pic I posted is the exact pic of the car.

That car was suppose to be the show car for the potential clients in Vancouver, it was on its way over to the wild wild west from Toronto when I intercepted it.

ceramics?

Did you check with Pfaff in Toronto re. whether they may have any service options for W. coast clients?  I recall Ferrari of Vanc. used to have a twice a month tech. in Calgary for their Alberta customers, for example.  Might be worth suggesting it.... hint to Pfaff - people are more inclined to buy if the mechanic is closer than 5000 km.

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    803129 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448533 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266057 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90030 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6540 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885629 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833147 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM