Crown

Forum - Thread

My 911 celebrated its 6th birthday on 10 Nov 2012 :)

Another year of enjoyable driving :) Smiley

On 10 Nov 2012, it was 6 years since I collected my 911 from the factory in Zuffenhausen, Stuttgart. How time flies ... !

The MOT test was done on 3 Nov 2012 (still £48). Annual road tax is now £475 for 12 months and Cobra PVTS tracker subscription is now £219.30 per year. Unfortunately, I haven't driven much this year, just 876 miles bringing total mileage up to 24543 miles. (I haven't done any track days this year, our holidays have all involved renting cars abroad and my wife has done most of the necessary driving in her BMW Z4). Running costs overall remain really low with no engine oil consumption in the past year. My long term engine oil usage has been 1700 ml which works out to be 0.0693 ml per mile. Average fuel consumption is running at around 23 UK mpg (driving in London traffic).

I got the car's minor service, brake fluid service and drive belt change done at OPC Mid-Sussex. They were excellent. While I was there, I test drove a 991 Carrera S Cabriolet with PDK and I also drove a courtesy car down to Brighton which was a 981 Boxster S with manual transmission. (More on that below).

No problems with my car ... apart from having to get the battery replaced (since it was over 5 years old). I haven't used the extended warranty (between years 4 and 6) so I didn't renew it this time. The car has been running flawlessly all year and is a joy to drive Smiley

Instead of Porsche Assistance, I got breakdown cover with the RAC (who provide Porsche Assistance in the UK anyway).

My wife and I also enjoyed some amazing trips this past year to South Africa, Hawaii and Canada.

Here are some links to my car's previous birthdays :)

Factory Collection at Zuffenhausen, Stuttgart: Link to Factory Collection thread.html

1st birthday: Link to 1st birthday thread.html

2nd birthday: Link to 2nd birthday thread.html

3rd birthday: Link to 3rd birthday thread.html

4th birthday: Link to 4th birthday thread.html

5th birthday: Link to 5th birthday thread.html

Overall, it's been wonderful owning and driving this car that still amazes me every time I drive it Smiley I never want to be without a 911 ... I just love this car and I just don't want to part with it :)

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Re: My 911 celebrated its 6th birthday on 10 Nov 2012 :)

Here are some photos I took yesterday :)

1) Arriving at OPC Mid-Sussex, we were lucky to have perfect weather :)

RT6Y-1.jpg

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

2) Here is the 991 Carrera S Cabriolet with PDK that I test drove with my wife. The dealer just handed me the keys and said "Have fun!". So we did!

It was my first chance to drive a 991. It is a very comfortable car, has better legroom than the 997, has great seats, the engine is certainly very responsive and it is very easy to drive it fast.

More specific observations:

Without sport exhaust, the sound just isn't exciting enough. Sports exhaust is a must have option. Indeed, I don't think it should be an option.

I didn't like Normal mode. The car just was not responsive enough. I found myself driving at least in Sport mode all the time. This neatly bypassed the auto switch-off function as well.

Sport Plus with PDK was no use on the public roads. I didn't mind it keeping hold of low gears but it would actually shift down too much keeping the car in 2nd gear when I wanted 3rd gear.

The Normal chassis mode was fine but I much preferred Sport chassis mode.

I loved the paddles. Very easy to use.

I still don't like PDK. Finding myself in 6th or 7th gear and then having to check which gear I'm in before deciding whether to downshift in order to go faster was not ideal. I like the car to be in the gear I have selected so that the gear is already known to me without having to look at the gear number in the instrument panel before deciding whether to downshift.

The responsiveness however is stunning. The car accelerates like a demon. In a 991 C2S, you can reach licence threatening speeds very quickly.

The car I drove felt very muscular and was a joy to drive.

The steering was nicely weighted and the electric steering didn't bother me. However, I missed all the steering feedback that I get in my 997.1 C2S with sport suspension. By contrast, the steering feel was almost totally numb.

The touchscreen PCM was fabulous and so easy to use. The satnav is a wonderful improvement on what I have in my 911. The only complaint is the overly robotic female voice. Individual temperature controls for driver and front passenger is how it should be.

I like the more ergonomic design of the dashboard and centre console. It's a more modern car inside and it feels it.

The multi-function instrument dial screen is brilliant. It was very useful providing all the information needed in one convenient place. I also had fun with the g-force meter.

I also liked the park assist graphic display. Very helpful.

I really didn't like the electronic parking brake.

Overall, some major improvements but some changes that I didn't like. It's certainly a softer car and I would only ever move to a GT3.

RT6Y-2.jpg

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

3) After the test drive, we took a 981 Boxster S as a courtesy car and headed to Brighton. Here's Brighton Pavillion.

RT6Y-3.jpg

--

997.1 C2S

4) Here's the gorgeous Boxster S we drove. IMO the prettiest Boxster made so far.

RT6Y-4.jpg

--

997.1 C2S

5) We loved the new dashboard design and it looked stunning in red.

RT6Y-9.jpg

--

997.1 C2S

I loved driving the Boxster S. The car I drove didn't have sports exhaust and this would have been a very worthwhile addition.

The engine was very responsive lacking just a little of the muscularity of the 991 C2S I drove earlier that day.

The car didn't have a short shifter and this would have made a big difference by reducing the throws and making the gear slots feel more precise.

But, I really, really enjoyed driving this car. It felt like a go-kart and was very 'chuckable'.

I loved the styling of the rear lights and from the side. I like the front styling. I think the rear view could be a little more muscular. But, overall, it's very pretty and hard not to like it :)

I like the styling of the new 991 except for the rear lights (which are too thin IMO) but I like the revised styling of the 981 Boxster more.

I didn't like Normal mode since it was not responsive enough. I drove in Sport mode nearly all the time. I also found Sport Plus was more useful on the 981 S and I found myself using it without it bothering me. I think Sport Plus per se is fine but, when mated to a PDK transmission, it can give results that may not be desired and which could take time to get used to.

This car had the touchscreen satnav PCM which was wonderfully easy to operate.

Overall, I struggled to see why anyone would need a 991 Cabriolet. The Boxster is now so good that, for a cabriolet that is used for cruising around and having some top-down fun, this really is more than enough.

I think the 991 has become so soft now that I would only consider buying a GT3 version of it. Indeed, a perfect Porsche garage for me would be a 991 GT3 and a Boxster. As it is, I'm still extremely happy with a garage of my 997.1 C2S Coupe and a BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster. That works well for us.

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

6) The ferris wheel at Brighton Pier on Brighton Beach

RT6Y-5.jpg

--

997.1 C2S

By the way, in case you're wondering, these photos were all taken with my iPhone 5. The camera is really amazing for a smartphone and really matches my point-and-shoot digital camera (which I may never use again).

--

997.1 C2S

7) Brighton Beach

RT6Y-6.jpg

--

997.1 C2S

8) We passed these cute, brightly painted cabins on the beach ...

RT6Y-7.jpg

--

997.1 C2S

9) Of course, no trip to Brighton would be complete without some piping hot fish & chips which we enjoyed while looking out towards the sea.

RT6Y-8.jpg

--

997.1 C2S

10) Back at the dealership, once the service was done, I spent a few moments drooling over a 997.2 GT3.

RT6Y-11.jpg

--

997.1 C2S

11) It was just gorgeous. I had to peel myself away from it.

RT6Y-10.jpg

--

997.1 C2S

Well, that's it! Hope you enjoyed the photos. (BTW, they are high res so if you click or double-click on them, you can see larger versions of them).

Cheers,
    Easy wink

--

997.1 C2S

easy_rider911:

Overall, some major improvements but some changes that I didn't like. It's certainly a softer car and I would only ever move to a GT3.

I wouldn't necessarily call the 991 chassis "softer". I would call it more comfortable. The 991 outruns the 997 on the track by a substantial margin, the 991 chassis improvements are very noticeable. Stiff doesn't always necessarily mean sportier. Smiley

Thanks for your observations, very interesting. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

easy_rider911:

The MOT test was done on 3 Nov 2012 (still £48). Annual road tax is now £475 for 12 months and Cobra PVTS tracker subscription is now £219.30 per year.

That's strange .. I paid for the VTS on my GT3 10 days ago, and it was £205.

@RC: by 'softer', I wasn't referring to the chassis ... I was talking about how much of a 'hardcore' experience it provides :)

Hope that clarifies any possible misunderstanding :)

--

997.1 C2S

sfo:
    easy_rider911:

The MOT test was done on 3 Nov 2012 (still £48). Annual road tax is now £475 for 12 months and Cobra PVTS tracker subscription is now £219.30 per year.

That's strange .. I paid for the VTS on my GT3 10 days ago, and it was £205.

I just checked - it was £219.30 (not £239 as originally posted) BUT that is still a little more than you paid recently.

The figure I quoted includes the credit card surcharge as well BTW.

--

997.1 C2S

easy_rider911:

I just checked - it was £219.30 (not £239 as originally posted) BUT that is still a little more than you paid recently.

The figure I quoted includes the credit card surcharge as well BTW.

I paid by Credit Card too, and it was £205 .. done by OPC with Cobra. Mine was done on 31 Oct, so prices may have increased on 1 Nov ...

easy_rider911:

@RC: by 'softer', I wasn't referring to the chassis ... I was talking about how much of a 'hardcore' experience it provides :)

Hope that clarifies any possible misunderstanding :)

Then I suggest testdriving a 993 for fun. You will be very pleased. Smiley

I think I got older, I actually enjoy the softer experience more...with hardcore performance. Smiley

I got your point though. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Thank you for your excellent account of the day including pictures and driving impressions. Happy birthday to your GT Silver baby.

Two points:

• Porsche don't have "cam belts" nowadays. Actually, 911s never had them.  I think the last model with a belt instead of a timing chain was the 968. So what they replaced on your 997 was the ancillary belt (or fan belt in old jargon), most probably.

• It is a fallacy that the 991 is soft. It might just feel so at first acquaintance if someone drives 997 or older just because the ride is more composed (not soft) and the steering doesn't communicate the crashes of the front suspension on uneven and broken pavement. It takes out unnecessary and sometimes irritating sort  "feel". On the road it is much faster than the 997.2 and the new 3.4lt equals the older 385 PS 3.8lt cross country. You can always drive faster in the more comfortable car even in F1.

--

"Form follows function"

I meant to write "drive belt". It was checked after 4 years and now replaced after 6 years.

As for softness, as I clarified to RC, I am referring to how hardcore the experience is.

Separately, regarding suspension, I agree that the 991 is more composed on rougher surfaces but I am referring to steering feedback not just on rougher surfaces but also on normal surfaces. I do not know whether you have tried the conventionally sprung -20mm sports suspension on the 997.1 Carrera S. However, it gives steering feedback that few 911s I have driven can provide. Apart from the GT3, most other 911s just feel numb by comparison.

As for speed, I have no doubt that the 991 is a big leap forward in terms of performance data.

--

997.1 C2S

easy_rider911:

Separately, regarding suspension, I agree that the 991 is more composed on rougher surfaces but I am referring to steering feedback not just on rougher surfaces but also on normal surfaces. I do not know whether you have tried the conventionally sprung -20mm sports suspension on the 997.1 Carrera S. However, it gives steering feedback that few 911s I have driven can provide. Apart from the GT3, most other 911s just feel numb by comparison.

As for speed, I have no doubt that the 991 is a big leap forward in terms of performance data.

Yes, I have tried the -20mm both on 996 and 997.1 and I had mixed feelings. It felt great on the right road but very crashy and cumbersome on another stretch. Overall, I would pass it. I don't know about the -20mm with PASM.

I had a Boxster S in the past to which I retrofitted the Tequipment Sport Chassis and at first I thought it was very fast and with responsive steering, as a result. After a while I got tired of its firmness and roughness and converted back to the original suspension and to my surprise I found that I could go faster overall on a country road because I was more comfortable and the suspension was more absorbent. It was better also when raining.

Moreover, on a -10mm PASM equipped 911 on the road you drive faster in Normal Mode than in Sport Mode 

These  add to my point about firmer and lower doesn't equal faster on the road. On the smooth track yes, and if someone devotes long periods of time it might be worth it.

--

"Form follows function"

Enjoyable read Easy, thanks for sharing!

What is the Porsche option code for the sport chassis/LSD you have fitted? I'm scanning the adverts for a 997.1 equipped with this option, but they're very difficult to find. Maybe the exact option-code might facilitate the search.

The sport chassis is I 030 and the the LSD is I 220. These codes are used on many models and on the 997.1.

Even if they were fitted in unison when ordered the specification sheet will have both codes.

--

"Form follows function"

Great account. And as any easy thread there had to be pics of food and scenery. 

So are you planning on turning in your loyal horse when the 991 GT3 comes out? You've certainly been eyeing the GT3 for a while now, waiting for the 991 variant is a better idea than the 997 if your current car is in such great condition. 

@Porker: thanks - the option code on my car is P17.

@Enmanuel: haha ... now we're talking :) ... let's just say that I'm following the GT3 threads with interest :) ... but, let's see ... I'm still not decided on what I will do ... glad you liked the thread ...

Primarily, this is a celebration for my existing car :)

--

997.1 C2S

Happy birthday to your 911 and many happy returns.  Smiley

BTW I agree with your assessment - from here it's GT3 or nothing.  Just waiting to see how the new GT3 turns out before deciding between 997 or 991.

Excellent review, as always Easy !!! 

kisskiss

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762188 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435217 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260449 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257505 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80921 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872094 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807487 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM