Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

2014 Porsche 911 RSR...

2014 Porsche 911 RSR to debut in Bahrain...

(25 November 2013)

Porsche will take the wraps off its updated 911 RSR in this weekend’s Six Hours of Bahrain (28-30 November 2013), the season finale for the FIA World Endurance Championship.

The German manufacturer, which won this year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans, will take advantage of a one-time update permitted for new GTE-Pro cars, due to the current class-wide freeze on developments.

Per ACO/FIA rules, the car must run with the new developments in at least one race during its first year of homologation, forcing Porsche to roll out with the updates for the Middle Eastern round.

“In Bahrain, the 911 RSR lines up in the spec homologated for 2014,” confirmed Hartmut Kristen, Head of Porsche Motorsport. “This means that the season final will be an important test for us under competition conditions, and it will undoubtedly produce some interesting information with regard to next season.”

Aside from its 1-2 finish at Le Mans, Porsche has generally struggled with its new 991-based GTE contender, although Joerg Bergmeister and Patrick Pilet claimed a podium finish in the most recent round in Shanghai earlier this month.

Bergmeister and Pilet will again be joined by fellow factory drivers Marc Lieb and Richard Lietz, as the Porsche AG Team Manthey squad search for their first six-hour race victory of the season.

“The fact that we’re driving our 2014-spec car in Bahrain for the first time makes it a very special race for us,” Lieb said. “I’m confident that we’ll do well there and manage to wind up the season successfully.”

The updated Porsche GTE car will be used in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship next year in the hands of the CORE autosport-run factory squad, which is expected to begin testing next month.

Team Falken Tire will also campaign a 911 RSR in the TUDOR Championship, although it’s unclear if the team will have the 2014 developments.

Smiley SmileySmiley

Re: 2014 Porsche 911 RSR...

Why would Falken not have the 2014 updates? The updates (assuming that they work) are for the 2014 customer cars, which is not what Porsche have been racing up until now.

Falken have confirmed that they will be running the 2014-spec Porsche 911 RSR...

@FalkenTire will you have the 2014 updates which Porsche will be debuting in Bahrain this weekend?

Falken Tire: Yes, it will be a brand new 2014 Porsche RSR

...here is the official Porsche press release...

FIA World Endurance Championship, round 8 in Sakhir/Bahrain, Preview

Exhilarating season finale in the desert

On the Bahrain International Circuit, this year’s sports car World Endurance Championship season concludes on 30 November. It marks the first race for the further-developed Porsche 911 RSR. The Porsche AG Team Manthey squad fields the GT racer from Weissach on the Formula 1 circuit in the desert featuring modifications that will be employed for the 2014 motorsport season.

The Porsche drivers

The Porsche works pilots and Le Mans winners Marc Lieb and Richard Lietz tackle the last race of the season in the 911 RSR with the number 92. In the fight for the World Endurance Cup for GT drivers, the pair currently ranks third. Their factory driver colleagues Joerg Bergmeister (Germany) and Patrick Pilet (France), who recently clinched their fourth podium result of the season in Shanghai, share the cockpit of the number 91 Porsche 911 RSR in the GTE-Pro class. In the GTE-Am class, Frenchmen Raymond Narac and Jean-Karl Vernay are still within striking distance of taking home the FIA Endurance Trophy. The Le Mans winners compete for IMSA Performance Matmut with the 911 GT3 RSR from last year, joined by Markus Palttala (Finland). Proton Competition fields a 911 GT3 RSR with team owner Christian Ried (Germany) and his Italian teammates Paolo Ruberti and Gianluca Roda.

The Porsche 911 RSR

The 470 hp Porsche 911 RSR is based on the seventh generation of the iconic 911 sports car. As the successor to the winning 911 GT3 RSR, with which Porsche customers scored many victories and title wins since 2004 in international endurance championships, it is characterised by its consequent lightweight design and sophisticated aerodynamics. The look is dominated by the flared fenders and the distinctive cooling air intakes at the front. The exceptional vehicle styling honours the anniversary “50 years of the 911”.

The schedule

The six-hour race on the Bahrain International Circuit starts on 30 November at 15.00 hours local time (13.00 CET). Eurosport 2 broadcasts the race live from 18.00 to 19.00 CET live. Eurosport International televises highlights at 21.30 CET. The race can be viewed live on the internet website www.fiawec.com.

Quotes before the race

Hartmut Kristen, Porsche Head of Motorsport:

“An exciting WEC season draws to a close in Bahrain. It was the first for the new 911 RSR which immediately followed on from Porsche’s great long distance successes with a terrific double victory in the GTE-Pro class at the Le Mans 24 Hours. In Bahrain, the 911 RSR lines up in the spec homologated for 2014. This means that the season final will be an important test for us under competition conditions, and it will undoubtedly produce some interesting information with regard to next season.”

Joerg Bergmeister (# 91):

“I’ve never been to Bahrain. We’re racing there for the first time with our 2014-spec Evo-Kit which will certainly be a very interesting experience. I hope we take a step forward.”

Patrick Pilet (# 91):

“Bahrain is the fourth new circuit for me this season, after Sao Paulo, Austin and Shanghai. The temperatures there ensure that it’ll be a heated battle in the truest sense of the word. This means we’ll need to prepare the car perfectly – not to mention the drivers and teams, as well.”

Marc Lieb (# 92):

“The fact that we’re driving our 2014-spec car in Bahrain for the first time makes it a very special race for us. I’m confident that we’ll do well there and manage to wind up the season successfully.” 

Richard Lietz (# 92):

“I hope that the improvements we’ve made on our car for Bahrain have a positive effect and things go better for us than they have at the last few races. The track is great and I’m looking forward to an interesting season finale.”

The Sports Car World Endurance Championship WEC

In the sports car World Endurance Championship WEC, sports prototypes and GT vehicles start in four classes: LMGTE-Pro, LMGTE-Am, LMP1 and LMP2. They all compete together in one race but are classified separately. 

...has anyone on Rennteam seen details of the 2014 Porsche 911 RSR specifications? Smiley

Smiley SmileySmiley

Hm,

not yet but very curious. Just read that Mark Webber will take part in next year´s Bathurst 12hrs at the beginning of February. Guess that will be in the 991 RSR as well...

devil

Ferdie:

Hm,

not yet but very curious. Just read that Mark Webber will take part in next year´s Bathurst 12hrs at the beginning of February. Guess that will be in the 991 RSR as well...

devil

I think he tweeted that it would be the 2015 Bathurst, but I could be wrong.

Spyderidol:

Here is the 2014 RSR:http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/patrick-pilet-la-nouvelle-porsche-911-rsr-est-la-pour-preparer-2014/

...that 2014-spec Porsche 911 RSR looks awesome! 

Smiley SmileySmiley

Boxster Coupe GTS:

...that 2014-spec Porsche 911 RSR looks awesome! 

really!!Smiley

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

TOYOTA STILL TOP OF TIME SHEETS AS PORSCHE HEADS GTE BATTLE...

(28 November 2013)

"Completed in the black of the night, as the final two thirds of Saturday’s 6 Hours of Bahrain will be, the second 90-minute free practice session has drawn to a close. Toyota Racing was once again at the head of the time sheets, but this time it was the No.8 TS030 Hybrid of Davidson-Buemi-Sarrazin who set the benchmark with a lap of 1:44.516, thanks to Swiss driver, Buemi. It wasn’t such a good session for the No.7 Toyota, as Lapierre had a brief visit to the gravel trap which caused the session to be stopped for him to be retrieved. Damage was minimal and the car continued to the chequered flag.

The order behind the leader was Audi-Toyota-Audi, with the No.1 showing the No.2 the upper hand. The gap between the four hybrid-powered cars was less than three tenths of a second – the anticipation for the race builds! Less than three seconds separated the factory entries from the No.12 Rebellion Racing Lola in fifth place overall.

In LMP2 Nicolas Minassian’s No.49 Michelin-shod Pecom Racing ORECA 03 Nissan edged out the No.35 OAK Racing Morgan Nissan by just 0.084 seconds. G-Drive Racing’s ORECA Nissan took third place in the category, followed by a fast-improving No.41 Greaves Motorsport Zytek Z11SN-Nissan – its two new drivers Wolfgang Reip and Jon Lancaster quickly getting up to speed in the FIA WEC.

Porsche’s updated specification on its No.91 and 92 911 RSRs appears to be paying off as Richard Lietz became only the second man today to dip below the 2-minute barrier in LMGTE Pro. His time of 1:59.730 put the No.92 at the head of the class, in front of an Aston-Porsche-Aston sandwich – the championship leading No.97 being the first of the two Aston Martin Vantages in this train.

Ferrari’s LMGTE Pro entrants were split by the No.61 AF Corse Ferrari 458 of Emmanuel Collard, the Frenchman recording a lap time of 2:00.631 to head the LMGTE Am category. Behind him were the Danish-piloted No. 95 Aston Martin, Larbre Competition’s Corvette and the No.57 Krohn Racing Ferrari which made improvements in lap times before a late session incident with a prototype which is being investigated.

Full results can be found here, and the competitors will all be back on track tomorrow morning for a third and final free practice session at 10:25, with qualifying to follow in the afternoon."

Smiley SmileySmiley

2nd and 4th in FP3. All of the GTE -Pro cars except for one went below the 2 minute mark in FP3.

P1 and P2 in Quali! Congratulations Porsche!

Spyderidol:

P1 and P2 in Quali! Congratulations Porsche!

Great,i will see it tomorrow on Eurosport 1 and 2 (only 1 hour and 45 minutes ...instead of 6 hours of race),but better than nothing..Smiley

--

You can watch it here. Enjoy!1385748080129thumbup.gif

Spyderidol:

You can watch it here. Enjoy!1385748080129thumbup.gif

Great,thanks!!Smiley

--

Spyderidol, do you know if 2014 spec RSR is running with a new motor or is it the same from 997 RSR? I keep hearing current updated only has 470hp and if this is true it won't be good when it races in the states because if I'm wrong the other like BMW , corvette and Ferrari had 500hp+. Again why can't RSR get the 500hp GT3 R motor? Anyhow I can't wait till 2014 like everyone else. 

Two Porsche 911 RSR lock out the first grid row...

FIA World Endurance Championship, round 8 in Bahrain, Qualifying

A strong performance from the Porsche 911 RSR: In qualifying for the six-hour race in Bahrain, the two 470 hp race cars from Weissach posted the fastest time in the GTE-Pro class and take up the final round of the sports car World Endurance Championship WEC on Saturday from the first row for the first time this season. The Porsche AG Team Manthey squad fields the 911 RSR in Bahrain, featuring modifications with which they will contest the 2014 motorsport season.

Pole position at the Bahrain International Circuit was secured by Porsche works drivers and Le Mans winners Marc Lieb (Germany) and Richard Lietz (Austria) in the 911 RSR with the starting number 92 ahead of their factory pilot colleagues Joerg Bergmeister (Germany) and Patrick Pilet (France), who share the number 91 cockpit.

The qualifying in the WEC takes real teamwork. Two drivers must qualify one car for the race. The grid positions for the race are determined by the average of the two fastest timed qualifying laps of each of these drivers.

Hartmut Kristen, Porsche Head of Motorsport:

“Over the last months we’ve been working at high pressure to improve the balance of the aerodynamics in the 911 RSR and also to increase the speed on the straights. Today, the new car has lived up to what we had expected. We’ll now have to see just how good it is in the race tomorrow. Still, the first and second spot in qualifying is a strong showing, particularly with this qualifying format where the two fastest laps of each driver determine the starting position. Taking this into account, our new 911 RSR has shown very good continuity. We’re looking forward to the race.”

Marc Lieb (#92):

“Places one and two in qualifying are a really great result. We knew that it would be very difficult to keep the tyres constant over four laps, but we managed it really well. Richie did a great job on the first two laps, and then I just had to bring the thing home. The new car is a real step up - you can see this with the times. And it feels better too. We back in action and can keep up better on the straights. Our engineers in Weissach have done a really fabulous job.”

Richard Lietz (#92):

“You don’t get a better result than this. The new car responded in qualifying just as we’d hoped for. So I was able to drive two very quick laps. Now if we can get the tyres through a stint without them deteriorating too much and losing grip, then things look good for the race.”

Patrick Pilet (#91):

“This is a perfect result for the team. We didn’t expect such a strong showing in qualifying, although our further developed car was already performing well in practice. We’re making a few changes for the race so that we compete with the best set-up, but I’m feeling very confident. It’ll be a great day for Porsche if we do as well tomorrow.”

Joerg Bergmeister (#91):

“That was the best qualifying of the season for Porsche. Now we’re feeling very confident for the race. We’ll surely be in a position to overtake one or the other opponent with the new car.”

Qualifying Result:

GTE-Pro class

1. Lieb/Lietz (D/A), Porsche 911 RSR, 1:58.833 minutes
    2. Bergmeister/Pilet (D/F), Porsche 911 RSR, + 0.127 seconds
    3. Turner/Mücke (GB/D), Aston Martin Vantage, + 0.203
    4. Bruni/Vilander (I/SF), Ferrari F458 Italia, + 0.216
    5. Stanaway/Lamy/Senna (NZ/P/BRA), Aston Martin Vantage, + 0.334
    6. Fisichella/Kobayashi (I/J), Ferrari F458 Italia, + 0.626

GTE-Am class

1. Nygaard/Poulsen/Thiim (DK/DK/DK), Aston Martin Vantage, 2:00.303 minutes
    2. Potolicchio/Aguas/Rigon (I/P/I), Ferrari F458 Italia, + 0.034
    3. Hall/Campbell-Walter/Goethe (GB/GB/D), Aston Martin Vantage, + 0.193
    4. Collard/Griffin/Perrodo (FRA/IRL/FRA), Ferrari F458 Italia, + 0.224
    5. Narac/Vernay/Palttala (F/F/SF), Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, + 0.577
    6. Ried/Roda/Ruberti (D/I/I), Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, + 0.987

TV coverage:

The race starts on Saturday at 15.00 hrs local time (13.00 CET). Eurosport 2 broadcasts the race live from 18.00 to 19.00 hrs CET. Eurosport International televises highlights at 21.30 hrs CET. The race can be watched live on www.fiawec.com.

Smiley SmileySmiley

PORSCHE CONFIRMS LM GTE PROGRAMME FOR 2014 FIA WEC...

(29 November 2013)

Porsche has today confirmed that it will continue its successful LMGTE works campaign in the FIA World Endurance Championship 2014, alongside its new LMP1 programme. 

Parallel to the German marque's return to the LMP1 category with a newly developed sports prototype, two Porsche 911 RSR cars will again tackle the GTE-Pro class. The sports cars from Weissach will again be fielded by Porsche AG Team Manthey, which celebrated an outstanding double victory at this year’s Le Mans 24 Hours. The 2014 season kicks off on 20 April in Silverstone, Great Britain.

“The GTE-Pro category of the WEC is the best supported and most competitive sports car class, with races that incorporate all of Porsche’s most important markets over the year,” says Porsche Head of Motorsport Hartmut Kristen. “We are keen to continue using this appealing platform. With the 911 RSR we will again take on the strong GT competition and we are eager to follow up on the successes we achieved this year against tough opposition.”

Pierre Fillon, President of the Automobile Club de l'Ouest,said:  “At Le Mans this year Porsche won both the LMGTE Pro and LMGTE Am titles and secured their 100th class victory in this special 50th anniversary year for the 911 - a fantastic achievement in this special year for the ACO when we celebrated 90 years of Le Mans.  Long may Porsche continue to compete in endurance racing for a very long time, especially in the FIA World Endurance Championship.”

Gerard Neveu, CEO of the FIA WEC, said:  “We are very pleased that Porsche have chosen to continue with their works GTE programme with Team Manthey in the FIA World Endurance Championship in addition to their exciting new LMP1 programme. Porsche returning to LMP1 is one of the biggest stories in the build up to the 2014 season.  However the announcement here today ensures the continuation of the manufacturer’s battle in GTE between the three great Le Mans winners – Porsche, Aston Martin and Ferrari.”  

The new 470 hp Porsche 911 RSR, based on the seventh generation of the iconic 911 sports car, celebrated its race debut this year at the WEC season-opener in Silverstone. As the successor to the winning 911 GT3 RSR, with which Porsche customers scored many victories and title wins at international long distance races since 2004, it is characterised by its consequent lightweight design and sophisticated aerodynamics.

Smiley SmileySmiley

996cal:

Spyderidol, do you know if 2014 spec RSR is running with a new motor or is it the same from 997 RSR? I keep hearing current updated only has 470hp and if this is true it won't be good when it races in the states because if I'm wrong the other like BMW , corvette and Ferrari had 500hp+. Again why can't RSR get the 500hp GT3 R motor? Anyhow I can't wait till 2014 like everyone else. 

I'm sorry for the late reply. The "new"car still uses the same engine (albeit with some updates from what I understand).

There will be no new engine until the rules change. (Expected 2015).

996cal:

ferrari is currently breathing trough a straw, and has ~460 hp

mojeIme:
    996cal:

Since these engines are fitted with air restrictors anyway it surely doesn't make much sense to tune them purely for the highest achievable peak power output, as that is generally gained at the expense of torque lower down in the rev range.  Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    mojeIme:
    996cal:

Since these engines are fitted with air restrictors anyway it surely doesn't make much sense to tune them purely for the highest achievable peak power output, as that is generally gained at the expense of torque lower down in the rev range.  Smiley

Your statment would hold true if the cars had anywhere neer the same restrictors, alas this is not the case..
    The  ferrari is currently breathing through literaly a straw, while every other car in the field with the same (similar) engine capacity runs much greater restrictors..

mojeIme:
    fritz:
    mojeIme:
    996cal:

Your statment would hold true if the cars had anywhere neer the same restrictors, alas this is not the case..
    The  ferrari is currently breathing through literaly a straw, while every other car in the field with the same (similar) engine capacity runs much greater restrictors..

Which would suggest that Porsche has all along gone for a fuller torque curve instead of a peakier power curve, knowing that the latter strategy would be pointless in an homologation regime which focuses on capping maximum power output. 
    You have to wonder why Ferrari doesn't do the same. Smiley    

--

fritz

They (Ferrari) have a bigger engine which I suspect has more torque...or a "fuller torque curve".

Spyderidol:

They (Ferrari) have a bigger engine which I suspect has more torque...or a "fuller torque curve".

That's what I thought too, but haven't bothered to check it. 

--

fritz

I don't mean to beat the dead horse so I'll just post once more../

Basicly what you are saying is that the engine playing field is level, Since I folowed the GTE pro racing series since it's inception back  in the 2000, I can assure you that it is not.. Here is why.

There is a set of rules that were in place designed to alow diffferent sized engines to race against each other, using restirictors.
    not to get too much into it but basicly, a 0.5l inclrease in engine size means around a ~0.3mm reduction in the restrictors.

Ferrari runs a 4.5l engine and Porsche runs a 4l engine. meaning that the difference in the restrictors should be around 0.3mm, to give both cars similar engine performance... Through the balance of performance Porsche is currently running an 0.7mm increase over the perscribed 0.3mm giving it a lot more torque and horsepower then the Ferrari. (Aston martin is even worse..) Through the same balance of performance the porsche is 25kg ligher, and has 90l fuel tank, while the Ferrair has 85l.

Not to get too much into the politics of it, but basicly curently the rules are thrown out of the window, and we hava a mess with the balance of performance which is compleatly out of whack.

Without getting into this again. (and as you know, I'm not a BoP fan), but your argument assumes that the 0.3mm addition to the air restrictor for every 0.5L increase in engine capacity was correct to start off with. I put it to you that it was not. The original ACO calculations were off, and that is precisely why we have the current situation today. Lets not get into this again. Suffice it to say that we are both against BoP.

Hey all

i competed in that race and finished on the podium in am category. It was amazing. I was actually with AF for that one and must admit that the 458 is an awesome package. I only drove before the GT3 car which is ok but I prefer its 911 counterpart but the GTE is epic. Easier to drive than the 997 RSR for an AM like me and very quick indeed.  

I spent some time with the Porsche guys as my heart still beats for the 911 and yes, the 2014 (yet homologated as a 2013, smart move) was very quick, and most importantly seemed to wear its tyres better than the other GTs. 

2014 will be an exciting season. Smiley

mojeIme:

I don't mean to beat the dead horse so I'll just post once more../

Basicly what you are saying is that the engine playing field is level, Since I folowed the GTE pro racing series since it's inception back  in the 2000, I can assure you that it is not.. Here is why.

There is a set of rules that were in place designed to alow diffferent sized engines to race against each other, using restirictors.
    not to get too much into it but basicly, a 0.5l inclrease in engine size means around a ~0.3mm reduction in the restrictors.

Ferrari runs a 4.5l engine and Porsche runs a 4l engine. meaning that the difference in the restrictors should be around 0.3mm, to give both cars similar engine performance... Through the balance of performance Porsche is currently running an 0.7mm increase over the perscribed 0.3mm giving it a lot more torque and horsepower then the Ferrari. (Aston martin is even worse..) Through the same balance of performance the porsche is 25kg ligher, and has 90l fuel tank, while the Ferrair has 85l.

Not to get too much into the politics of it, but basicly curently the rules are thrown out of the window, and we hava a mess with the balance of performance which is compleatly out of whack.

And that's in GTE where at least there is a bit of a regulation. In GT3 it's a complete mess! No rules. And a bop that changes every other race. 

The Porsche was so slow this year. Smiley

Futch:

Hey all

i competed in that race and finished on the podium in am category. It was amazing. I was actually with AF for that one and must admit that the 458 is an awesome package. I only drove before the GT3 car which is ok but I prefer its 911 counterpart but the GTE is epic. Easier to drive than the 997 RSR for an AM like me and very quick indeed.  

I spent some time with the Porsche guys as my heart still beats for the 911 and yes, the 2014 (yet homologated as a 2013, smart move) was very quick, and most importantly seemed to wear its tyres better than the other GTs. 

2014 will be an exciting season. Smiley

Congratulations Futch! I followed the race and I must confess that I was a little sad to see you and Manu in a 458,Smiley It's good to know that your heart is still in the right place.Smiley

Porsche Factory Drivers Named for 2014 Porsche North America 911 RSR Entries...

• Patrick Long, Richard Lietz, Nick Tandy, Michael Christensen Named as Season-Long Tudor United Sportscar Championship Drivers for Porsche Factory GT Team
    • Patrick Pilet, Joerg Bergmeister to Join Core Autosport-Prepared 911 Racers for 2014 Rolex 24

The PORSCHE NORTH AMERICA team has entered two 2014-spec Porsche 911 RSR GT cars in the upcoming TUDOR United SportsCar Championship; here is the 20014-spec car as it ran in the last FIA-WEC race in Baharain last month.

(23 December 2013)

Porsche Factory Drivers Named for 2014 Porsche North America 911 RSR Entries

Stuttgart / Atlanta. Porsche AG and Porsche Cars North America (PCNA) have announced the factory drivers who will compete for the 2014 TUDOR United SportsCar Championship in the PORSCHE NORTH AMERICA CORE autosport-prepared Porsche 911 RSR GT-Le Mans class entries.

Car no. 911 will be driven by Nick Tandy (Great Britain) and Richard Lietz (Austria), while car no. 912 will compete with Patrick Long (USA) and Michael Christensen (Denmark) at the helm, with two additional Porsche factory drivers – Patrick Pilet (France) and Joerg Bergmeister (Germany) - joining the teams for the upcoming Rolex 24 at Daytona.

The no. 911 Tandy / Lietz / Pilet Porsche and the no. 912 Long / Christensen / Bergmeister entry will make their on-track debut at the ROAR Before the Rolex 24, January 3 – 5, 2014. The effort will utilize the new Porsche 911 RSR, the same as the 2013 24 Hours of Le Mans LM GTE-Pro class-winning entries. The headquarters for the program will be at Porsche Motorsport North America (PMNA) in Santa Ana, Calif. CORE autosport, Rock Hill, South Carolina, will act as the competition partner for the program.

There is a wealth of endurance racing championship experience with this driver lineup, with Lietz scoring class wins at both the Rolex 24 (2012) and the 24 Hours of Le Mans (2010, 2013); and Patrick Long winning his class at the Rolex 24 (2009), 12 Hours of Sebring (2005), 24 Hours of Le Mans (2004, 2007), and Petit Le Mans (2005, 2006, 2007). Christensen, in his first year as a Porsche Junior in 2013, finished sixth in the Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup series season standings with one event win in addition to the Rookie of the Year title. Tandy finished the 2013 American Le Mans Series with a flare by co-driving the Team Falken Tire Porsche to the GT class victory at Petit Le Mans. As for the Rolex 24 third driver additions, Bergmeister and Pilet are endurance veterans as well. Bergmeister has won the Rolex 24 (2002, 2003, 2009), 12 Hours of Sebring (2004, 2005, 2008), 24 Hours of Le Mans (2004), and Petit Le Mans 2003 – 2007). Pilet, a former Porsche Carrera Cup France champion, has a win at the 24 Hours of Dubai to his credit. 

The 2014 Rolex 24 at Daytona will take place January 25 – 26, 2014.

The 2014 Porsche 911 RSR

The new 911 RSR is based on the seventh generation of the iconic 911 sports car and follows in the footsteps of its successful predecessor, the 911 GT3 RSR. The new 911 RSR featured a win in its very first 24 Hours of Le Mans appearance in 2013. As with the production vehicle, the wheelbase grew by about four inches. A new development from Porsche Motorsport is the lightweight racing gearbox with the six forward gears selectable via paddles on the steering wheel. The 470 hp, 4.0-litre six-cylinder boxer engine was taken from the predecessor and optimized for 2014.

One of the development priorities of the new 911 RSR was finding a better weight distribution balance. The center of gravity is also significantly lower than that of its predecessor. Carbon fiber played a crucial role in the new design. The front and rear aero components, front and rear lids, doors, underbody, wheel arches, rear wing, dashboard and center console are constructed from the very light and strong material. Moreover, all windows are made of particularly thin and light polycarbonate. Also contributing to the weight reduction is the lithium-ion battery now available on many GT road-legal models.

The look of the new 911 RSR is dominated by the flared aero components and the deep cooling air intakes at the front. With a new air ducting, the radiator is now centrally-located in the front and even more effective than in the previous model. 

At the same time, the cockpit air-conditioning became more efficient. The quick-change concept of the body parts was specially adapted for endurance racing, allowing for easier maintenance and shorter repair times. The front end, front lid and rear panel are fitted with quick release systems and can be replaced within seconds. 

Low positioned static cornering lights provide improved vision and enhanced safety during the night. The reflective labeling and anti-glare lighting of the control elements in the cockpit help ensure optimal legibility in the dark. The arrangement of the switches on the new steering wheel and the pilot-oriented center console were designed in co-operation with the ten Porsche works drivers. All works drivers took part in the design of the 911 RSR contributing their vast experience in GT racing. 

In order to keep the engineers in the pits up-to-date with all relevant vehicle data, the live telemetry transmits more than 200 different measurements straight to the pit wall stand via an antenna on the roof. Additionally, all data is stored on a memory card onboard the vehicle.

Smiley SmileySmiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    805752 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449122 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266768 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90303 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6971 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886712 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    835427 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM