Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Itch scratched

So have scratched that itch.

991 PDK Carrara Basalt black with black leather

Park Assist F/R

20" Carrera S wheels

Heated Seats

Sport Design wheel

Mobile Phone prep

BOSE

3rd year warranty

December delivery.

Anything else I must have? (the spec must be confirmed Monday)

--

C2S - Basalt/Black XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

Re: Itch scratched

PASM, standard suspension runs out of ideas when driving hard on bumpy roads. (you can delete the 3rd year warranty and assist to pay for PASM).

Sport Chrono for the dynamice engine mounts.

wheel spacers? improves stance

coloured seatbelts to add a touch of colour to interior? retrofit is very expensive .. parts alone for just the front pair on my 7.2GT3 was £422!

If you buy a 991 PDK without Sport Chrono, doesn't that mean that you never used that abusive and somewhat vile launch control feature?   I would imagine that to someday be a major plus on resale value (not that resale value should be too much of a consideration on something that will likely depreciate rapidly). 

Just asking.

Congratulations that your itch no longer needs scratching.

One often overlooked extra that I believe is absolutely essential for safety is TPMS. Always specced it when I've bought new Porsche, and really miss it on our current 997/S. Just had a slow puncture on the offside rear, detected it only because with the weather getting cold I decided to check the pressures, and sure enough this tyre was down from 40psi to 25psi and after a great deal of searching found a screw embedded in the tyre. There is no way you could tell with the low profile hard sidewalls without physically checking. TPMS would have detected this almost instantly.

I would never buy a Porsche without PASM. Makes so much difference to the composure and comfort, particularly on UK's battered and ill maintained roads. Unless you like a bone hard ride of course in which case press the sport button, without PASM you don't have that choice!...this advice was confirmed by the Porsche driving consultants at Silverstone.

Neither of the above can be retrofitted.

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

I could not agree more with Dreamcar, TPMS is an ESSENTIAL option to tick.

Also would not order it without PASM.

And sportchrono makes even more sense than in the Type997 because of the dinamic engine mounts, I believe them to be a gret part of the huge difference I noticed between the 997 and 991 in highway/motorway staibility in wehgt transfers. And also with PDK it can completely transform the car's character with a touch of a button, that you may enjoy exploiting from time to time.

--

I agree with Gladstone and DC - Sport Chrono is a must with PDK and PASM is advisable.  I also wouldn't be without TPMS.

In addition I find that cruise control is worth the money whereas park assist shouldn't be necessary with a 911.

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Carlos - our posts overlapped by a few seconds!... Glad we covered similar pointers...

--

Heated seats could help fund the essentials too...

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

John H:

Carlos - our posts overlapped by a few seconds!... Glad we covered similar pointers...

"Great minds thinks alike" Smiley Smiley

--

Many thanks folks, for the input.

So have added SportChrono and smoking package as well. I drove PASM & non-PASM cars back to back and whilst it was a necessity in 997 I don't believe to be so for 991 - left that off.

Decided against TPMS as I had it on my BMW and found it to be inaccurate most of the time. I've never had in P cars so I figure I won't miss it!

Order now signed and I'm advised that it should be with me before Christmas.....now just need to wait!

--

bridggar:

Decided against TPMS as I had it on my BMW and found it to be inaccurate most of the time. I've never had in P cars so I figure I won't miss it!

Big mistake, IMO. Smiley The BMW system is hugely inferior, it is a cheap system that attempts to measure low tyre pressure by comparing the wheel rotation speed (a deflated tyre has a smaller diameter so rotates faster than the others), hence it's tendency to give false alarms - wheel spin can easily set it off and did several times on the 123d I owned. Porsche's Beru system actually measures tyre pressure by means of sensors mounted inside the tyre and transmits the readings by wireless means to the system in the car. it alerts when a tyre pressure drops as little as 2 psi. TPMS is potentially a life saving option - particularly in a high performance car such as a Porsche. You've spent nearly twice the cost of TPMS on Bose. Smiley

--

TPMS is a must have option and works very reliably on Porsche. Additionally, it helps you to know when your  tyres are warmed up, besides the early warning on deflation.

Also, if you order heated seats also include ventilated seats.(cannot be ordered without heated seats). You will find them useful in the summer, in the UK too.

I've driven a 991 without PASM and I agree it is very pliable especially compared to the 997 models. However, check if the omission could affect the re-sale value.

--

"Form follows function"

TPMS does not work in Porsche like it does on BMW or Audi. Its if far superior, it not only accurately gives you a readout of the actual presures of each tire on real time as you drive (and accurately so) so its assures you as you drive that prressures are ok, and also gives you an idea of the temperature (i.e. grip) of the tires as you drive.

But also has another display that can be accesed when the car is stopped in which you are able to see the difference in pressure of each tire with respect to the recomeneded factory settings, and that delta that it gives you takes into account the temperature of the tires for calcualting the data, so it doesn't matter if the tires are hot or cold, you will always be able to know the exact difference with your tire's pressures and the factory pressures independantly of the temperature at which they are.

Very usefull for when you want to know at any moment (before driving when they are cold, or after driving or while at a gas station when they are hot) if your tire presures are spot on with factory recomendations, and in case they are not, you just inflate them using that info on the PCM until you see a 0.0 delta on each tire.

Trust, when all of us who have are saying that is is an essential option, not only for practicality but also for safety.  For example, if you get a slow puncture you won't know unitl its too late with the low profile hard carcass tires you will be using with TPMS. It has happened to me and without TPMS alerting me as a drove out of the garage (it wasn't even visible on visual inspection yet there was very little air left in the tire in the morning when I grabbed the car) I would have been stranded in the middle of a highway on a 100mile trip without a spare tire, or worse, may have sufffered a high speed accidemnt from severe tire deflation.

Also to consider, TPMS is a NON-RETROFIT option, if you don't get it when you order if from factory, you won't be able to retrofit it aftwards should you come to regret the decition of not getting it.

--

It's brilliant but it's also very expensive - even the batteries that don't last forever.  If it was really "must have" though, it would make 99% of used Porsches completely redundant. "Very nice to have" perhaps, considering you can kill yourself quite easily in a fast car even with PTMS.  All in moderation, including speed (in relation to skill) is far more important and that's free...!

--

Budster:

It's brilliant but it's also very expensive - even the batteries that don't last forever.  If it was really "must have" though, it would make 99% of used Porsches completely redundant. "Very nice to have" perhaps, considering you can kill yourself quite easily in a fast car even with PTMS.  All in moderation, including speed (in relation to skill) is far more important and that's free...!

Expensive? Here in the UK it's GBP 437. Half the price of an upgraded sound system? Not much more than the price of one rear tyre? Remember correct tyre pressure and condition is all you've got in the wrong situation between life and a  half hour appointment with an undertaker...

my own experience last week just strengthens my belief in TPMS - if I hadn't checked the tyre pressures that morning I would have driven on a partially inflated rear tyre and the first I might have known about it would have been a nasty tail slide and / or an accident. There was no indication whatsoever that anything was wrong and it took a good five minutes of inspection to find the offending screw. TPMS would have told me instantly.

--

dreamcar:
    Budster:

Expensive? Here in the UK it's GBP 437. Half the price of an upgraded sound system? Not much more than the price of one rear tyre? Remember correct tyre pressure and condition is all you've got in the wrong situation between life and a  half hour appointment with an undertaker...

Exactly. Its a cheap option and batteries will last you 5 years in the 997 and even longer now in the new TPMS sensor of the 991. Also keeping adecueate tire pressures lengthens the lifespan of your tires. But most importantly is your last parragraph. Reminds me of the conversation abnout PSM when it was introduced back in the day in the early 996's, and now nobody even thinks of getting a 911 without it.

my own experience last week just strengthens my belief in TPMS - if I hadn't checked the tyre pressures that morning I would have driven on a partially inflated rear tyre and the first I might have known about it would have been a nasty tail slide and / or an accident. There was no indication whatsoever that anything was wrong and it took a good five minutes of inspection to find the offending screw. TPMS would have told me instantly.

Excatly the same thing happened to me, and at triple digic mph highway speeds of the trip I was about to do undertake I wonder what would of happened.... Will never get a car without TPMS. In fact if hypothetically I were to buy a second hand 997/991, not having TPMS would be a deal breaker for me.

--

Carlos from Spain:
    In fact if hypothetically I were to buy a second hand 997/991, not having TPMS would be a deal breaker for me.

--

The only reason I got our present used 997/2 without TPMS was I was becoming increasingly desperate to get rid of  our Cayman, been looking for a long time to get the right replacement car, this 997 was pretty much perfect apart from lack of  TPMS and the dealer struck a very good deal as he had a buyer waiting for our Cayman. So few used Porsches here have it unfortunately.

--

Carlos from Spain:
    dreamcar:
    Budster:

Exactly. Its a cheap option and batteries will last you 5 years in the 997 and even longer now in the new TPMS sensor of the 991. Also keeping adecueate tire pressures lengthens the lifespan of your tires. But most importantly is your last parragraph. Reminds me of the conversation abnout PSM when it was introduced back in the day in the early 996's, and now nobody even thinks of getting a 911 without it.

Excatly the same thing happened to me, and at triple digic mph highway speeds of the trip I was about to do undertake I wonder what would of happened.... Will never get a car without TPMS. In fact if hypothetically I were to buy a second hand 997/991, not having TPMS would be a deal breaker for me.

I get all that but I still think it's expensive - if it was totally needed it wouldn't be an option.  But I mean "totally needed" for ME: I personally don't drive my Porsche much differently on the roads than everyone else drive their cars (-ish!), and I only let rip on the track, where I obviously check tyre pressures beforehand.  So the way I drive on a day to day basis, TPMS is no more important than it would be in anyone else's car: I can't imagine refusing to get into my friends' cars because they haven't got tyre pressure monitoring.  OK, I have lower profile tyres, but again, all in moderation, and if it was crucial it simply wouldn't be just an option.  Are you guys saying you would never drive a 993 or a 996 robustly because of the lack of TPMS?

--

Budster:
    Carlos from Spain:
    dreamcar:
    Budster:

I get all that but I still think it's expensive - if it was totally needed it wouldn't be an option.  But I mean "totally needed" for ME: I personally don't drive my Porsche much differently on the roads than everyone else drive their cars (-ish!), and I only let rip on the track, where I obviously check tyre pressures beforehand.  So the way I drive on a day to day basis, TPMS is no more important than it would be in anyone else's car: I can't imagine refusing to get into my friends' cars because they haven't got tyre pressure monitoring.  OK, I have lower profile tyres, but again, all in moderation, and if it was crucial it simply wouldn't be just an option.  Are you guys saying you would never drive a 993 or a 996 robustly because of the lack of TPMS?

Its not an option in the US for example, its mandatory for all cars for security reasons, and this will eventually extend to other places lke EU, etc like many other security features that eventually became obligatory.

The risk you have even with driving the Porsche on the road like everybody else is that with your low profile hard walled tires you won't see o fell a severy underinflated tire like you would on those other normal cars, those normal cars are actually safer thatn you in your Porsche in that respect because I guarantee you with your tires you will not notice underinflation even if severe (been there, done that, dreamcar the same, and I am very sensitive to tire pressures on cars and have a good feel for them when they are low in general and the steering starts to become a little sluggish, etc).

And so even though you may not be at the track dring at 9/10ths while driving on the street, in the streets you may encounter dangerous situations when you may need the car's 10/10ths to get out of it safely, and being correct tire pressure so important for maximum grip and even grip between all four tires, TPMS gives you that knowledge in real time as you drive, so when ever there is danger in that respect you will know it instantly instead of just going blind and driving on without correcting the situation.

Doesn't mean that I would never drive a car without ABS, PSM, TPMS, etc but definately not the way I would if I had those options. And in the case of the non-TPMS the only way do so is if you stop to check all your pressure every time you take the car out of the garage which no one is going to do. The same way I don't drive the same under the rain when my tires have low miles and deep channels than when they are approaching their end, but I can keep up with tire ear and groove depth very easily and consistently, not so with tire pressures without TPMS, which you can't checke everytime before you get in the car and also can change rather rapidly unlike tire wear.

--

Carlos from Spain:

Its not an option in the US for example, its mandatory for all cars for security reasons, and this will eventually extend to other places lke EU, etc like many other security features that eventually became obligatory.

The risk you have even with driving the Porsche on the road like everybody else is that with your low profile hard walled tires you won't see o fell a severy underinflated tire like you would on those other normal cars, those normal cars are actually safer thatn you in your Porsche in that respect because I guarantee you with your tires you will not notice underinflation even if severe (been there, done that, dreamcar the same, and I am very sensitive to tire pressures on cars and have a good feel for them when they are low in general and the steering starts to become a little sluggish, etc).

And so even though you may not be at the track dring at 9/10ths while driving on the street, in the streets you may encounter dangerous situations when you may need the car's 10/10ths to get out of it safely, and being correct tire pressure so important for maximum grip and even grip between all four tires, TPMS gives you that knowledge in real time as you drive, so when ever there is danger in that respect you will know it instantly instead of just going blind and driving on without correcting the situation.

Doesn't mean that I would never drive a car without ABS, PSM, TPMS, etc but definately not the way I would if I had those options. And in the case of the non-TPMS the only way do so is if you stop to check all your pressure every time you take the car out of the garage which no one is going to do. The same way I don't drive the same under the rain when my tires have low miles and deep channels than when they are approaching their end, but I can keep up with tire ear and groove depth very easily and consistently, not so with tire pressures without TPMS, which you can't checke everytime before you get in the car and also can change rather rapidly unlike tire wear.

In keeping an open mind on this, the more I hear you the more I wish I had it.... Smiley

--

Budster:

In keeping an open mind on this, the more I hear you the more I wish I had it.... Smiley

I went through the same as you Budster but I learnt the hard way though a scare that was avoided by the TPMS, when I ticked the TPMS option on my 997S when I ordered it I didn't realise back then how important it was.  Imagine you grab the car in the morning, you parked last night in the garage with no problems, you have to travel to another city 100miles away were you cruise at 160km/h speeds with short burst going over 200 or even ocasionally over 250... as soon as you take the car out of the garage to get on your way, TPMS light pops up notifying of rear left tire underinflated.

You think, I can't be, the car moves fine (you are 500m from the garage by now), you step out of the car to visually inspect the tire and you don't see anything wrong with it, its not flat, and looks the same height as the other tires...you always have that mental image that with a flat you always see the sidewall downland pinched by the wheel, so you think, must be a fault of the TPMS

You get in start driving and again the message pops up. So that "what if" pops in your mind and annoyed you stop on the street again and take out a manual tire gauge that you always carry in the glovebox, and check the tire and to your surprise, there was barely any pressure on the tire!!! I mean, barely any. Why is the sidewall not down visually? then you think, the hard carcass these PS2's have and the low profile of the 19" wheels? I could not believe it. So you start to inspect the tire closely and there it is, a screw logged into the tire. You sigh in relief that you didn't hit the highway that morning with the car, and think what could have happened on a fast long highway left bend, or eventually at the highway exit, or avoiding another vehicle that made a wrong move, or an obstacle, etc... or even if you noticed it eventually through the side wall degradation without having an accident you would have been stranded far away from home without a spare tire, loosing work, etc.

And so you limp it back to the garaje and grab another car and go on safely on your trip that day and come back to your family that night.... well, this is what happened to me one day. The price of the TPMS was worth its weight in gold for me that day. And I have had slow puntures before in cars, noticed them sometimes visually, or sometimes as soon as you drive the car like once on my ex-M3. Not with this 997.

Same with PSM, I learnt a similar lesson about the importance of PSM on street driving on my ex-996 in the rain avoiding another car that jumped into my lane without looking on a bend while I was accelerating out of the bend on a rear engined 911 on the wet.... I'm pretty sure I would not have regained control of the car after avoiding the car without PSM, and given the circumstances it would of been and "ugly" accident, fortunately I regained control without hitting the car or the concrete sidewall of the motorway, its was reduced to just a scare.

That is why I will not buy another car without it. Mind you also that Porsche's TPMS is much better than the one found in other cars I have driven. The one in my Q5 only warns of deflation with a light, thats it, which is the basic safety feature, but no real time readouts of the pressures, nor the delta vs factory pressures independantly of the temperature of the itres, etc. The bad thing about it is that its not retrofitable Smiley

--

Bridggar - You said in your first post that your order needs to be confirmed by tomorrow.  I urge you to take very seriously what Carlos, Dreamcar, Reginos and others, including myself, have said about TPMS..!!!

Carlos has gone to great lengths to convince you of it's importance as has Dreamcar and even Budster seems to have been converted and changed his opinion.

There is no comparison with the BMW system... Porsche have got it right and it is reliable, accurate and a potential life-saver.

Please add it to your spec' while you still can and, if you need to balance the cost, maybe omit park assist....yes

This is honestly the right thing to do and very important that you move quickly on it.... wink

--

+1 on TPMS. It's a must have safety feature on a 911.
    --

There is no try. Just do.

Pentium:
    +1 on TPMS. It's a must have safety feature on a 911.

I think it's standard on North American cars. I wouldn't want to be without it.

Congrats otherwise! Smiley

OK, added.

--

bridggar:

OK, added.

Well done that man, you won't regret it. Smiley

After my tyre last week I am now really missing not having it on this car....Smiley

--

bridggar:

So have scratched that itch.

991 PDK Carrara Basalt black with black leather

Park Assist F/R

20" Carrera S wheels

Heated Seats

Sport Design wheel

Mobile Phone prep

BOSE

3rd year warranty

December delivery.

Anything else I must have? (the spec must be confirmed Monday)

Sport Chrono

TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitor System)

Sport Exhaust

PASM isn't really a must but it can be helpful at times. Sport Chrono is a MUST HAVE option though, you will regret not getting it. Same goes to TPMS (I still don't understand why a sports car manufacturer like Porsche doesn't offer TPMS as a standard safety feature, a real shame).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Apparently it'll be factory complete on 3rd December so should be with me before Christmas.

--

bridggar:

Apparently it'll be factory complete on 3rd December so should be with me before Christmas.

Wow, thats so quickly. Tells you something in itself.

Did you get any incentive discount..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

throt:
    bridggar:

Wow, thats so quickly. Tells you something in itself.

Did you get any incentive discount..

just shows how easy and how quick it is to get a 991 slot, in contrast to the Cayenne ...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    803144 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448544 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266093 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90034 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6573 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885663 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833194 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM